Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mingo

RockThatBlue

As I said in another thread on him I think once they add another worthwhile edge rusher his skill set as a coverage lb should be utilized more in the nickel and dime sets by covering tight ends and running backs - which he has been showing a strong propensity of doing!

Whether it's Basham or Perry stepping up this year (after Simon returns) or next year with another draft pick added to the mix.

So during the offseason, hopefully we bring in a pass rusher. We have Sheard, Mingo, Simon and Basham. Do we bump up to five or does someone have to go? Then who? Would be nice to get a pass rusher with our high first.

7 hours ago, KB said:

So during the offseason, hopefully we bring in a pass rusher. We have Sheard, Mingo, Simon and Basham. Do we bump up to five or does someone have to go? Then who? Would be nice to get a pass rusher with our high first.

Theoretically we can run any amount of any position, but we typically roll with 9 players between OLB and ILB. With Mingo potentially able to fill in as a backup ILB I think it isnt out of the realm of possibilty that we keep 5 OLBs and 4 ILBs. But it all comes down to how good the coaches feel with the talent/depth at ILB. 

10 hours ago, KB said:

Depth is a great thing to have.  If we use an early pick on this and the guy shows he is solid then you either keep all for depth or cut one, probably Basham.  Ballard drafted him but if he isn't showing any ability to get on the field and everyone else is, he is dead weight and needs cut.  There is no love in this game...

11 hours ago, KB said:

someone would probably have to go if we use a high pick on a PR

based on what we know right now, it would probably be basham 

2 hours ago, aaron11 said:

someone would probably have to go if we use a high pick on a PR

based on what we know right now, it would probably be basham 

Based on what we know now, it would probably be Mingo, seeing as hes not under contract past this season. haha

I hope we resign him, but as of what we know right now, he isnt on the roster going into next yr. 

On 11/13/2017 at 9:09 PM, RockThatBlue said:

He deserves some big props. He has played really well for the Colts this year. 

I really would like to see Mingo used more in a Jamie Collins Hybrid role where he plays inside and outside. the guy has immaculate speed and covers ground quick . he has surprised me to say the least.

On 11/14/2017 at 8:01 AM, lollygagger8 said:

I've said it before, but I'd like to see the Colts use Mingo at OLB and ILB and move him around so the opposing Defense doesn't know if he's going to rush, drop in coverage, etc. 

Use him like a Hassan Reddick or Ryan Shazier type of player. 

He's been a pleasant surprise! 

Like Jamie Collins is used

1 hour ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Based on what we know now, it would probably be Mingo, seeing as hes not under contract past this season. haha

I hope we resign him, but as of what we know right now, he isnt on the roster going into next yr. 

i was assuming we re signed him, but yeah that is no given

i would put him above mewhort and moncrief if we dont draft a pass rusher early, but FA is before the draft making it awkward.

its hard to say if any of these three guys will have a bunch of other teams interested in them or not

26 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

I really would like to see Mingo used more in a Jamie Collins Hybrid role where he plays inside and outside. the guy has immaculate speed and covers ground quick . he has surprised me to say the least.

he is probably the most physically gifted guy we have on defense.  not sure if he would be any good at ilb, i guess it cant hurt to give it a try when simon comes back

25 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

Like Jamie Collins is used

You have a few players who have shined like this.  Clay Mathews did this for the Packers a few years back.  They had some injuries and pushed him inside but would still have him move around for outside rushes or coverage to confuse a QB.