Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Baker Mayfield

I feel like the Heisman this year will not be a great race.  Barkley should get it as he is extremely dynamic.  Mayfield has shown some skill but I would not call him Manziel. Johnny liked to run but Mayfield moves to pass, not run.  Some scouting reports on him have him as a Colt McCoy type and a solid backup QB.  Does not have the arm strength of Russell Wilson (compared based on similar size) and does not show great accuracy on some tough NFL throws.  Curious to see him through the draft process though.  Might be a guy who wants to prove himself after being drafted in the 3rd or something.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

I feel like the Heisman this year will not be a great race.  Barkley should get it as he is extremely dynamic.  Mayfield has shown some skill but I would not call him Manziel. Johnny liked to run but Mayfield moves to pass, not run.  Some scouting reports on him have him as a Colt McCoy type and a solid backup QB.  Does not have the arm strength of Russell Wilson (compared based on similar size) and does not show great accuracy on some tough NFL throws.  Curious to see him through the draft process though.  Might be a guy who wants to prove himself after being drafted in the 3rd or something.

I do see Russell Wilson traits in him. I agree, I do not see Johnny Manziel in him, he does love to play football and is more dedicated than Manziel to football.

A team like the Browns drafts Barkley in the first and pairs him up with Baker Mayfield in round 2 most likely, IMO, and that may not be a bad thing if he is managed right. 

Bengals did it - A.J. Green and Dalton; and then Raiders did it - Amari Cooper and Derek Carr, so that would work out long term just fine, IMO if he is coached right.

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I do see Russell Wilson traits in him. I agree, I do not see Johnny Manziel in him, he does love to play football and is more dedicated than Manziel to football.

A team like the Browns drafts Barkley in the first and pairs him up with Baker Mayfield in round 2 most likely, IMO, and that may not be a bad thing if he is managed right. 

Bengals did it - A.J. Green and Dalton; and then Raiders did it - Amari Cooper and Derek Carr, so that would work out long term just fine, IMO if he is coached right.

I think Mayfield has some good qualities about him but if a team jumps on him in the top-10 they will be disappointed.  If he is drafted in the 2nd or later it helps the team and Mayfield IMO.  If the Browns took both of them and get some WR's they could have a pretty solid offense.  After a full year though I would not say Mayfield would beat out Kizer though.  He has a learning curve and better arm on Mayfield, but the coaching staff might be completely different next year so what do I know.  It is the Browns!

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, crestmount said:

Just can't understand why Browns didn't draft Darnold

Draft media was quite a bit lower on Mayfield than NFL teams. Browns saw him as highly competitive kid, who had great workouts and interviews.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/04/30/baker-mayfield-cleveland-browns-draft-mmqb-peter-king

https://twitter.com/GrahamBarfield/status/990788747217207296

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/04/baker_mayfield_was_the_top_qb.html

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, crestmount said:

He was the most accurate passer on all intermediate and 2nd on deep throws, the best under pressure, the best in the red zone, he's got a fiery passion for winning. The only QB i can make an argument for above him is Rosen, but his injury history diminishes his NFL readiness.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, crestmount said:

Darnold had 13 picks, and nine fumbles in southern California last year alone.  I wonder how he does in New York (or Cleveland!) when the weather turns nasty later in the season?

All of these QB's has a 'flaw' on them.

9 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

He was the most accurate passer on all intermediate and 2nd on deep throws, the best under pressure, the best in the red zone, he's got a fiery passion for winning. The only QB i can make an argument for above him is Rosen, but his injury history diminishes his NFL readiness.

This right here.

PFF had him as their #1 QB for a reason:

DcHS3PeWAAAxDG1.jpg:large

Dbv6zGYX0AA0KjA.jpg

Dbv62wbWAAEsm2Z.jpg

DbuZ3RCWAAE725k.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

I see Johnny Manziel 2.0.  But who knows, he could surprise.  All of these prospects have talent or else teams wouldn't be interested.  Very few can make that talent pay off on the field though.

What about him, other than his height, reminds you of Manziel?

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Shive said:

What about him, other than his height, reminds you of Manziel?

Indeed. They are not similar in much other than the height. Off the field one was entitled brat that thought everything should be served to him on a platter, while the other fought tooth and nails to get where he's at - to walk on two different top 5 conference programs and win the starting spot at both and take the second one to the college football playoffs and win the Heisman is no joke. 

And while both are very talented(the talent was not the problem with Manziel), Mayfield's play style is much more of a pocket QB who plays within structure and play from within the pocket predominantly. Now he has the ability to scramble a bit, but that's not the main way he beats you. Manziel on the other hand was out of structure QB. He would leave the pocket the first chance he got or at the first signs of pressure. IMO they are not very similar in the way they play or process the game or in the way they are off the field. 

The latest reports from the post draft suggest that quite possibly Mayfield was no. 1 on every single of the 4 teams that were in the top 5. There is a reason for that - the NFL media was very disconnected with the way the NFL was actually seeing those QB. The narrative it seems was entirely media driven and had nothing to do with the way the NFL decision makers were seeing those QBs. It also points out to Mayfield acing the pre-draft process. Teams loved the way he handled himself. All those reports about him rubbing people the wrong way seems like were hogwash and absolute and utter bull crap. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Indeed. They are not similar in much other than the height. Off the field one was entitled brat that thought everything should be served to him on a platter, while the other fought tooth and nails to get where he's at - to walk on two different top 5 conference programs and win the starting spot at both and take the second one to the college football playoffs and win the Heisman is no joke. 

And while both are very talented(the talent was not the problem with Manziel), Mayfield's play style is much more of a pocket QB who plays within structure and play from within the pocket predominantly. Now he has the ability to scramble a bit, but that's not the main way he beats you. Manziel on the other hand was out of structure QB. He would leave the pocket the first chance he got or at the first signs of pressure. IMO they are not very similar in the way they play or process the game or in the way they are off the field. 

The latest reports from the post draft suggest that quite possibly Mayfield was no. 1 on every single of the 4 teams that were in the top 5. There is a reason for that - the NFL media was very disconnected with the way the NFL was actually seeing those QB. The narrative it seems was entirely media driven and had nothing to do with the way the NFL decision makers were seeing those QBs. It also points out to Mayfield acing the pre-draft process. Teams loved the way he handled himself. All those reports about him rubbing people the wrong way seems like were hogwash and absolute and utter bull crap. 

I was with you, my friend for the first two paragraphs...  then, you lost me in the last paragraph.

First NFL GM's aren't in the habit of informing ANYONE about their true intentions.   John Dorsey revealed he had decided on Mayfield two months ago.     That was a well kept secret.     You have info -- links -- that says the Giants and the Jets also had Mayfield as their number one QB?     Please share!    Denver I believe,  but they were also heavily linked to Allen and Rosen,  so anything is possible.

As for Mayfield rubbing people the wrong way,  that's a head scratcher...   that phrase was literally used in articles to describe Josh Rosen.    I know a few teams were said to be rubbed wrong by Mayfield basically telling them they were too low in the draft for him to be visiting them and taking tests about their playbook...    I get that would be annoying.    But I think on balance,  Mayfield handled himself really well.    And I have long disagreed with the concept that Mayfield compares with Manziel.    I have written often that the only thing they share in common is their height....    otherwise,  not very much....    so you and I are in agreement there.    I'm just at a loss over the hogwash and bull crap comment.     The two biggest media outlets,  ESPN and NFL.com I think were mostly very complimentary and supportive of Mayfield.    Is that who you were talking about?    Or was it some other media outlet?

33 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I was with you, my friend for the first two paragraphs...  then, you lost me in the last paragraph.

First NFL GM's aren't in the habit of informing ANYONE about their true intentions.   John Dorsey revealed he had decided on Mayfield two months ago.     That was a well kept secret.     You have info -- links -- that says the Giants and the Jets also had Mayfield as their number one QB?     Please share!    Denver I believe,  but they were also heavily linked to Allen and Rosen,  so anything is possible.

As for Mayfield rubbing people the wrong way,  that's a head scratcher...   that phrase was literally used in articles to describe Josh Rosen.    I know a few teams were said to be rubbed wrong by Mayfield basically telling them they were too low in the draft for him to be visiting them and taking tests about their playbook...    I get that would be annoying.    But I think on balance,  Mayfield handled himself really well.    And I have long disagreed with the concept that Mayfield compares with Manziel.    I have written often that the only thing they share in common is their height....    otherwise,  not very much....    so you and I are in agreement there.    I'm just at a loss over the hogwash and bull crap comment.     The two biggest media outlets,  ESPN and NFL.com I think were mostly very complimentary and supportive of Mayfield.    Is that who you were talking about?    Or was it some other media outlet?

I thought I read Gettleman said at his press-conference something like "Once the Browns took Mayfield it was Barkley for us". I didn't watch it but read the quote on twitter. Now I'm watching the press-conference and he said it in a different manner than I interpreted it. So I stand corrected on this one - I don't think you can draw the conclusion I made when watching the full context.  

About the Jets - his agent said on Andrew Brandt's podcast yesterday that they were getting some very explicit signs by the Jets that he was their no. 1 QB and they were drafting him if he was there at 3. 

“After the Jets worked him out, he told us, he said, ‘I don’t know what people usually tell players, but man, if they’re being straight with me, they act like they’re going to draft me,’” Mayfield’s agent, Jack Mills, said on NFL reporter Andrew Brandt’s podcast. “We told him, ‘Well, yeah, we heard a lot of things. These coaches don’t know what they’re going to do in the draft. They may want you, but you may not be there.’

“When he visited the Jets, they pretty much said you’re our guy if you’re there.”

On the same podcast Mills said that the Patriots were trying to move to 2 to draft Mayfield too. You can listen to the full thing here: 

http://www.podbean.com/media/share/dir-puda5-3f5a449

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, stitches said:

I thought I read Gettleman said at his press-conference something like "Once the Browns took Mayfield it was Barkley for us". I didn't watch it but read the quote on twitter. Now I'm watching the press-conference and he said it in a different manner than I interpreted it. So I stand corrected on this one - I don't think you can draw the conclusion I made when watching the full context.  

About the Jets - his agent said on Andrew Brandt's podcast yesterday that they were getting some very explicit signs by the Jets that he was their no. 1 QB and they were drafting him if he was there at 3. 

On the same podcast Mills said that the Patriots were trying to move to 2 to draft Mayfield too. You can listen to the full thing here: 

http://www.podbean.com/media/share/dir-puda5-3f5a449

Good find on MIlls....

If it's Jack Mills....   the same Jack Mills that has been around forever,  then I trust him.    I think he's a straight shooter if it's the guy I'm thinking of....

Thanks for sharing that....

Belichick signaling that they were trying to trade up?     That one I find more hard to believe,  not because of Mills,  but because it's Belichick.    I don't recall ever hearing/reading that he's done that in the past....   leak out his intentions like that....    but, I suppose it's possible....

EDIT NOTE:    Yup....   turns out it's the same Jack Mills.    Been around forever.   Represented Eric Dickerson about 35 years ago....    Been in the game nearly 50 years.    Makes me like Mayfield even more.   I like the kid and hope he does well.

Here's a good story about Mills

http://newsok.com/article/5580342/48-years-after-steve-owens-agent-jack-mills-has-another-ou-heisman-winning-client

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Good find on MIlls....

If it's Jack Mills....   the same Jack Mills that has been around forever,  then I trust him.    I think he's a straight shooter if it's the guy I'm thinking of....

Thanks for sharing that....

Belichick signaling that they were trying to trade up?     That one I find more hard to believe,  not because of Mills,  but because it's Belichick.    I don't recall ever hearing/reading that he's done that in the past....   leak out his intentions like that....    but, I suppose it's possible....

Yeah, it's the same one. He's 80 something now. They discussed it in the podcast - he had a no. 1 pick 48 years ago :D 

About media there are a ton of articles if you run a search about Mayfield rubbing people the wrong way... here's one from last week where they keep comparing him to Manziel:

I'm having hard time tracing everything I've heard because I've listened to a ton of podcasts in the draft season and I can't remember where I've heard what. At some point there were rumors that some teams thought he was a pretender and not a true leader and stuff like that. Like you, I disagree with most everything of this, but fact is those were out there and people were talking about him in those terms. That's what I mean that it was all media hogwash and nonsense. The league actually seems to love him. 

BTW did you catch how Belichick telegraphed his pick this year? Evan Silva was first on it this year and published the best mock draft in the country thanks to this one - he noticed that 2 people that Belichick usually talks to a lot in the media, people he confides in - Mike Lombardi and Mike Mayock spread the rumor that Sony Michel has knee on knee condition the day before the draft. And what does Belichick do the next day? Draft Sony Michel of course. This was such an obvious ploy to make Michel drop to at least the Patriots second first round pick. I will have to watch for this type of connections in the future.

• Thanks 1

Something the guys on the PFF Podcast said today about Mayfield that I think is a very great point; If the only negatives you can come up with are about his college style of offense or the defenses he played against, you have no argument. That means that you're reaching for negatives because he checks all the other boxes as a QB prospect. If he was 2 inches taller, I think we would be talking about him as the best QB prospect since Luck (no as good as Luck, but really good).

Also, the fact that he was a 2 time walk-on is amazing. From what I heard, he didn't contact Bob Stoops to let him know he was thinking about enrolling. He just enrolled, then let Stoops know that he had and that he wanted to play for him. This came after the season where a Trevor Knight led Oklahoma team beat Alabama. Baker pretty much said "I know you have your starting QB, but I know I'm better and I'm going to earn that spot". Some people hate his attitude, but I have to give him his due. The guy really, truly believes in himself and then shows you why you should too.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Shive said:

Something the guys on the PFF Podcast said today about Mayfield that I think is a very great point; If the only negatives you can come up with are about his college style of offense or the defenses he played against, you have no argument. That means that you're reaching for negatives because he checks all the other boxes as a QB prospect. If he was 2 inches taller, I think we would be talking about him as the best QB prospect since Luck (no as good as Luck, but really good).

Also, the fact that he was a 2 time walk-on is amazing. From what I heard, he didn't contact Bob Stoops to let him know he was thinking about enrolling. He just enrolled, then let Stoops know that he had and that he wanted to play for him. This came after the season where a Trevor Knight led Oklahoma team beat Alabama. Baker pretty much said "I know you have your starting QB, but I know I'm better and I'm going to earn that spot". Some people hate his attitude, but I have to give him his due. The guy really, truly believes in himself and then shows you why you should too.

They had asked him about sitting behind Tyrod Taylor.  He gave the standard answer that most people would, but the look in his eye was like "I ain't gonna be there for long!". Fiery Competitor.  I like the Kid

• Like 2