Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Odds On Which Coach Gets Axed First in 2017

King Colt

If none of these go until the end of the year, it could be Marvin Lewis, but that's the only way IMO. They'll keep protecting him for the rest of this season IMO. Bill O Brien is a no. Cleveland fires their coaches very quickly and very often, almost yearly, so Jackson is a huge possibility if they start out 0-8 or something. I actually don't see Bowles fired until the end of the year. I think he'll get fired, but it won't happen until then. What I think this will come down to is if Pagano starts off 0-4 or 0-6, he'll be the 1st one fired, if we start off 2-4 or something to that degree and the Browns start off winless, it'll be Hue Jackson. If everyone starts off in the 2-6 to the 4-4 range, then it could be anyone except Bill O' Brien. 

Just in regards to the Colts, and just thinking out 'loud' here, I don't really see Chuck fired mid-season. I guess I don't see the point in mid-season firing unless  it is to appease a livid fan-base, and/or to access/try-out a coordinator or position coach in the interim role for HC moving forward. I guess I just do not see the Colts in either of those situations, not with Chuck and not with the other coaches currently on staff...

Does anyone think Ballard would take a chance on Chud or Philbin??? Is there anyone else on staff that is HC material. Schottenheimer could be at some point, I guess, but I don't see Ballard going that way...

Assuming that Ballard has a short list of candidates already in mind, I would assume that he just rides the season out with Chuck, then go out & get his guy after the season. 

I think there are some decent candidates under Reid in KC that could very well end up as the next HC in Indy... 

But what do I know...

On September 17, 2017 at 12:58 AM, King Colt said:

247sports.com has the first five to go as follows:

Bowels (Jets) 3-1

Pagano (Colts) 7-2

Jackson (Clev) 27-4 *

Lewis (Cincy) 7-1

O'Brien (Hou) 8-1

* I don't believe Jackson will go this year and they have a truck load of draft picks next year so.....(my .02)

If we fire Pagano I would not be surprised if our next coach is someone on your list assuming they are axed as well.  My guess;  Lewis. 

I'm thinking maybe Jackson or Bowles.

I don't see Lewis getting canned until the end of the season.  He's been the coach there for a long time.  It might be time to let him go, but I don't see it happening mid-season.  It could but I think it would be a travesty.

I don't favor firing coaches mid season.  It accomplishes nothing.

How could anyone fire Hugh Jackson considering the choices that the organization has made and the rebuild is just underway. You gave him no qb, traded his best players, and signed absolutely no one to help....and actually I think his teams play very very hard week in and week out...they are just under-manned. How do you hire a qb guru and then don't give him a qb??? Hugh doesn't deserve to go nor do I think he will...he should at least get to coach out his contract there. Same kinda situation with Boles...you knew you don't have a very good team...you traded off your best player and ignored signing a qb etc..what do you expect to improve?

I think there is a real possibility its Pagano unfortunately...just because I think Irsay might want an escape goat if we go on a crazy skid without Luck. Him or Lewis if they continue to underperform. Those are tenured coaches that a lot more is expected of their teams. Honestly I don't like firing head coaches during the season unless unless you have someone in house that you want to give a shot at running things. I'm curious has any team made the playoffs after firing their HC during the season? I doubt in a very long time. Unless a coach commits a crime or just does some indefensible things they should coach out the season....its not like someone else is going to come in and turn it all around.

IMHO....John Fox should be on this list....the Bears are terrible...and if they continue to get waxed I think he would be high up on the list. If you want to know who is out next year here is my list of coaches that will be replaced.

1. Sean Payton (I think he has lost that team...and he can't fix what is broken..time to blow it up)

2. Marvin Lewis (time to reboot...they aren't a playoff contender anymore and Cleveland is poised to pass them too)

3. John Fox (team is not better...not disciplined...and not responding....should have done what TB did and let him go and replace him with Adam Gase when they had the chance)

4. Ben McAdoo (when you start throwing a Manning under the bus to get the media off your back for your horrible playcalling etc....days are numbered...team too talented to not win more games)

5. Chuck Pagano (3 consecutive PO misses...even without Luck just couldn't get the team to consistently show up for big games)

6. Todd Bowles (its what the Jets do....they suck and they fire coaches...won't solve anything and definitely not his fault)

Big names on that list but I think the league and some of these teams are ready for a shake up. I'll keep my eye on Doug Marrone in Jacksonville too....I don't trust Coughlin to not go with a new coach/qb combo in the draft next year.

On 09/18/2017 at 11:29 AM, aaron11 said:

not something i would bet on but i think it will be bowels

i dont think irsay would fire chuck while luck, kelly and vontae are out, at least not yet

hard to say with lewis, he could go tomorrow or last another 10 years 

Bowles. His name is not bowels. Todd Bowles.

On 9/20/2017 at 1:49 PM, dgambill said:

How could anyone fire Hugh Jackson considering the choices that the organization has made and the rebuild is just underway. You gave him no qb, traded his best players, and signed absolutely no one to help....and actually I think his teams play very very hard week in and week out...they are just under-manned. How do you hire a qb guru and then don't give him a qb??? Hugh doesn't deserve to go nor do I think he will...he should at least get to coach out his contract there. Same kinda situation with Boles...you knew you don't have a very good team...you traded off your best player and ignored signing a qb etc..what do you expect to improve?

I cannot agree with you more. When I saw Jackson's name on the list, I thought "Huh?". It does not make sense. The team is pretty competitive every week. They are rebuilding. Why fire Jackson in the middle of the rebuilding? I don't get it. 

I'm surprised they did not have Caldwell on the list. I don't think he should be fired but he does not have a contract beyond this year. The GM there now did not hire Caldwell. Hopefully the Lions make the playoffs; otherwise, the GM will bring in his own coach. JMO

14 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I cannot agree with you more. When I saw Jackson's name on the list, I thought "Huh?". It does not make sense. The team is pretty competitive every week. They are rebuilding. Why fire Jackson in the middle of the rebuilding? I don't get it. 

I'm surprised they did not have Caldwell on the list. I don't think he should be fired but he does not have a contract beyond this year. The GM there now did not hire Caldwell. Hopefully the Lions make the playoffs; otherwise, the GM will bring in his own coach. JMO

Yep...we think alike...and I agree with Caldwell. There is more to being on the hot seat then just wins and losses and preparing your team. I think Jim is a fine coach. No I wouldn't say elite but in a league of 32 coaches I'd say he is in the middle half....basically if for nothing else he keeps his teams engaged and playing hard and usually always gives them a chance to win....there is something to be said about never getting too high or too low. I didn't know he was coaching without a contract..that is troublesome for him. On performance alone I don't think he belongs on there but of course when you have a new gm anything can happen and usually they want their own guy. Jim is a good guy and I think the players respond to him and he puts people in position to succeed....of course people here just remember the timeout against the Jets, the SB loss and mostly our 2-14 season but that team was destined to be awful...lets be honest...the system that Peyton Manning ran was based so much on attributes he had that few few qbs could replicate. Don't get me wrong once things got rolling wrong we didn't get it back on track but that offense was designed around Peyton and almost anyone would have trouble trying to execute it and he had little to work with on a team of aging vets and limited qb. I remember watching those games and we played very hard...we just couldn't overcome what we lacked. That team I never thought packed it in. If Jim goes he will get a coordinator job very quickly and even in a league where young fly by night coordinators are all the rage he will still be in demand. 

1 minute ago, gacoop1 said:

If we lose to the Browns, Pagano is history.

Irsay will not fire Pagano if we lose to the Browns.

If Pagano is going to be fired it will come at the end of the season. Pagano is not going to lose his job without having the benefit of his starting QB available.

If you really believe that IMO you don't know Irsay very well at all.

16 hours ago, Roger said:

Bowles. His name is not bowels. Todd Bowles.

just copied from the OP, dont follow the jets that closely

process of elimination left him as the most likely to get fired first

people get my last name wrong all the time, it happens lol

On September 18, 2017 at 1:33 PM, pgt_rob said:

With how the Bengals are doing and the recent firing of their OC. I vote Marvin Lewis will get the axe this year.

Logically, Marvin Lewis being released from the Bengals after this yr makes perfect sense to me PGT especially since QB Andy Dalton looks like a shell of himself & appears to have lost his edge or ability to march the ball down the field into the end zone. 

He's been in Cincy forever with no playoff victory to speak of. The man has got to go. Will cheapskate owner Mike Brown do that? I highly doubt it. 

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Irsay will not fire Pagano if we lose to the Browns.

If Pagano is going to be fired it will come at the end of the season. Pagano is not going to lose his job without having the benefit of his starting QB available.

If you really believe that IMO you don't know Irsay very well at all.

you're most likely right, but I don't think it's that black and white.  If the Colts, with Brissett, are able to get into a position late in the game to win, but coaching gaffs (not throwing the challenge flag, poor clock management, terrible play calling, etc) wind up costing the game, then I don't think it matters whether who was playing QB.  Irsay may still not allow Ballard to make a decision mid-season...but as I've said in other threads, if they'd like to get an on the job evaluation of someone like Chud, Philbin or Schottenheimer then maybe Ballard does pull the trigger mid-season. Otherwise, if they know for a fact they want to clean house, then yeah no point in doing that until the season is over.

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 2:30 PM, Buck Showalter said:

Just in regards to the Colts, and just thinking out 'loud' here, I don't really see Chuck fired mid-season. I guess I don't see the point in mid-season firing unless  it is to appease a livid fan-base, and/or to access/try-out a coordinator or position coach in the interim role for HC moving forward. I guess I just do not see the Colts in either of those situations, not with Chuck and not with the other coaches currently on staff...

Does anyone think Ballard would take a chance on Chud or Philbin??? Is there anyone else on staff that is HC material. Schottenheimer could be at some point, I guess, but I don't see Ballard going that way...

Assuming that Ballard has a short list of candidates already in mind, I would assume that he just rides the season out with Chuck, then go out & get his guy after the season. 

I think there are some decent candidates under Reid in KC that could very well end up as the next HC in Indy... 

But what do I know...

I think you hit the nail on the head. In reality none of us really know. All we have is speculations and or opinions.

On 9/22/2017 at 10:13 AM, dgambill said:

Yep...we think alike...and I agree with Caldwell. There is more to being on the hot seat then just wins and losses and preparing your team. I think Jim is a fine coach. No I wouldn't say elite but in a league of 32 coaches I'd say he is in the middle half....basically if for nothing else he keeps his teams engaged and playing hard and usually always gives them a chance to win....there is something to be said about never getting too high or too low. I didn't know he was coaching without a contract..that is troublesome for him. On performance alone I don't think he belongs on there but of course when you have a new gm anything can happen and usually they want their own guy. Jim is a good guy and I think the players respond to him and he puts people in position to succeed....of course people here just remember the timeout against the Jets, the SB loss and mostly our 2-14 season but that team was destined to be awful...lets be honest...the system that Peyton Manning ran was based so much on attributes he had that few few qbs could replicate. Don't get me wrong once things got rolling wrong we didn't get it back on track but that offense was designed around Peyton and almost anyone would have trouble trying to execute it and he had little to work with on a team of aging vets and limited qb. I remember watching those games and we played very hard...we just couldn't overcome what we lacked. That team I never thought packed it in. If Jim goes he will get a coordinator job very quickly and even in a league where young fly by night coordinators are all the rage he will still be in demand. 

The Lions must have seen our posts. haha They finally extended Caldwell. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000849547/article/jim-caldwell-signs-multiyear-extension-with-lions

On 9/17/2017 at 12:10 AM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I'm guessing the first coach to lose to the Colts, Jets, Browns or 49ers.

So probably Chuck after week 3.

We can only hope lol but I know it won't happen they will say the loses are ok cause we didn't have luck they always got an excuse for Chuck