Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Remember when people used to say this?

RockThatBlue

54 minutes ago, gacoop1 said:

Sad to be compared w/Dalton. Luck should request a trade, can't win in Indy - Pagano won't let him.

Irsay would, rightfully, laugh in his face.

Luck: "Hey Jim.  I want to be traded.  I simply don't feel like I can win here."
Irsay: LOLOLOLOLOLO.  "Hey Andrew, no one held a gun to your head forcing you to sign that 6 year extensions."

Luck: "But...I got hurted?"
Irsay: "Well that sucks but that's football.  I'm not eating over $40 million in dead cap space because you're a pansy.  Suck it up."

Irsay would probably soften up the delivery a little, but that would be the basic message. :P

1 hour ago, Coltsfan1953 said:

The article said that Andrew was only 4 and 5 against teams with good records but don't most QB's have worst records against the better teams? it only makes sense to me. O.o

That was commentary on the 2014 season.  It's one of those thing that you just randomly say to make it sound bad but it's not actually bad in reality.

Think about it.  That year the Colts where 11-5.  That means that he lost all 5 of his games to teams that ended up with at least 6 wins.  So he wasn't dropping any games to bad teams.  He was also 4-5 so that also means that he won just short of half of his games against these decent teams.

I'm guessing most 11-5 teams don't have winning records against teams with 6 or more wins.

Furthermore this is a problem when you evaluate quarterbacks based on wins.  It leaves out the crucial context.  The Bengals have always had a strong running game and usually a strong defense.  You can look at the stats and see that.  The Colts had neither of those things since Luck got there.  (Although the defense was decent the year they went to the AFC championship game.)  

While QB is the most important position, it's intellectually lazy to evaluate quarterbacks based on wins.  There are still 10 other starters on offense, 11 starters on defense, special teams and other players who rotate into the game based on situation. 

But the problem is there are a lot of intellectually lazy people out there who insist that Trent Dilpher is a better quarterback then Dan Marino ever was because Dilpher won a championship.  (I'm not joking I've seen that argument made.)

Maybe he is.  Career stats:

G

Att

Comp

Pct

Att/G

Yds

Avg

Yds/G

TD

TD%

Int

Int%

Lng

20+

40+

Sck

SckY

Rate

5 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

But the problem is there are a lot of intellectually lazy people out there who insist that Trent Dilpher is a better quarterback then Dan Marino ever was because Dilpher won a championship.  (I'm not joking I've seen that argument made.)

This is actually a better argument to use if you are trying to convince others that championships are not the most important criteria when determining greatness.

10 minutes ago, Clem-Dog said:

This is actually a better argument to use if you are trying to convince others that championships are not the most important criteria when determining greatness.

I have attempted to use that argument only to have people refute it by saying that they do indeed believe that Trent Dilpher is a better QB then Dan Marino.  

It's crazy but there are some people who honestly believe that number of championships is the only stat one should pay attention to in order to evaluate how good a QB is.  And they take that belief to it's logical conclusion.   

17 minutes ago, Mister P said:

G

Att

Comp

Pct

Att/G

Yds

Avg

Yds/G

TD

TD%

Int

Int%

Lng

20+

40+

Sck

SckY

Rate

Ahh the dangers of presenting stats without context...

1 minute ago, Valpo2004 said:

I have attempted to use that argument only to have people refute it by saying that they do indeed believe that Trent Dilpher is a better QB then Dan Marino.  

It's crazy but there are some people who honestly believe that number of championships is the only stat one should pay attention to in order to evaluate how good a QB is.  And they take that belief to it's logical conclusion.   

I hear you but at the same time these very people never mention players like Troy Aikman, Ben Roethlisberger and Eli Manning as all time greats for a reason.  They just can't pick and choose when and when not to apply Super Bowl victories as part of the equation.

Well, I do think that Dalton is a better QB than many around here give him credit for.  That being said, he doesn't have the same talent level as Luck and I don't think there could be any question about that.  Dalton is playing horribly so far this year, though I definitely give you that.

6 minutes ago, J@son said:

Well, I do think that Dalton is a better QB than many around here give him credit for.  That being said, he doesn't have the same talent level as Luck and I don't think there could be any question about that.  Dalton is playing horribly so far this year, though I definitely give you that.

He seemed to fall off a bit since the 2014 season. I remember him even getting some MVP hype. Not sure what happened, but he ain't been the same since.

6 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

He seemed to fall off a bit since the 2014 season. I remember him even getting some MVP hype. Not sure what happened, but he ain't been the same since.

I think it may have been a bit later than that when he started to drop off...could definitely be wrong..but seems like it happened when Hue Jackson left for cleveland.

2 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Andy Dalton can't win a playoff game with a loaded roster. Luck carried his squad to a 3-3 record in the playoffs. 

It's night and day, but whatever..

just being honest but I think that may have as much, if not more to do with coaching than Dalton specifically.  Dalton is not Luck, there's no denying that.  I think Dalton is the kind of QB who can be decent on his own, but with an actual quality OC and scheme built around his strengths he can be a very good one. the biggest difference between he and Luck is that Luck can still be a very good QB even without the quality OC..but he can be an elite QB with quality coaching.

52 minutes ago, Mister P said:

G

Att

Comp

Pct

Att/G

Yds

Avg

Yds/G

TD

TD%

Int

Int%

Lng

20+

40+

Sck

SckY

Rate

what are we supposed to make of this?

post brady's stats over his first 70 games too

22 minutes ago, J@son said:

just being honest but I think that may have as much, if not more to do with coaching than Dalton specifically.  Dalton is not Luck, there's no denying that.  I think Dalton is the kind of QB who can be decent on his own, but with an actual quality OC and scheme built around his strengths he can be a very good one. the biggest difference between he and Luck is that Luck can still be a very good QB even without the quality OC..but he can be an elite QB with quality coaching.

The coaching intangible between the two is a wash in my estimation..

My personal feelings on Dalton are that he's the beneficiary of having AJ Green's other worldly Randy Moss-esq ability to come down with the ball. If teams can double AJ, they literally can't score a TD..

1 hour ago, J@son said:

It looked to me that the Bengals have just as bad an oline as the Colts, I thought the Texans D did a good job cover the WRs downfield, and the pocket was collapsing regularly. 

In fact there seem to be a few similarities between the Bengals and Colts other than oline,  poor coaching, poor play calling, I think,Luck is better than Dalton but both are held back.

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

The coaching intangible between the two is a wash in my estimation..

My personal feelings on Dalton are that he's the beneficiary of having AJ Green's other worldly Randy Moss-esq ability to come down with the ball. If teams can double AJ, they literally can't score a TD..

I agree, but that was my point.  Luck has more raw talent and can still be a good QB even with questionable or even outright bad coaching.  Dalton does not.  Dalton needs quality coaching around him to be successful, and if he has that I think he can be.  But he's never going to be at Luck's level. 

2 minutes ago, Mister P said:

It was requested that I post Brady's stats.  Why post Brady's stats.  He wasn't a topic of this thread.  Data in context....  lol!

Well to provide some context.... even just on the raw numbers you posted we can see Luck is being asked to do more (more passing attempts on average), has produced more (higher TD%), turned the ball over at the same rate (INT%) (funny as people level the moniker turnover machine at Luck but not Dalton), all while playing behind a far worse o-line (higher average sacks per game). His completion percentage is a smidge lower, but we can see he's also being asked to throw the ball further down the field.

Now to provide even more context, the reason Luck is perceived to have to do more and carry this team has been the lack of defense and running game... so let's compare:

Colts D since 2012 (all passing and rushing numbers are the Opponents numbers)

Points Tot Yds & TO Passing Rushing Opp First Downs
Rk Tm From To G W L T W-L% PF PA PD PC Tot Ply Y/P DPly DY/P TO ToP Time Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD Int Sk Yds Rate Att Yds Y/A TD 1stDOpp Rush Pass Pen
1 IND 2012 2017 81 49 32 0 0.605 1959 1938 21 3897 28970 5375 5.3898 5188 5.7342 127 41:19:25 04:16:45 1732 2811 61.6 19792 128 64 184 1170 90.2 2193 9957 4.54 70 1656

Not pretty reading , we on average give up more yards per play on D then we produce on O, have allowed a 90.2 passer rating, while only only getting to the opposition QB 2.2 times a game. All while giving up a very nice 4.54 yards against us on the ground. You can also see we give up on average 23.9 points a game. That's putting your QB in a position that he's going to have to go out and win games not just manage them.

Let's look at Cincy since Dalton was drafted (again all numbers for passing and rushing are Opponents):

Rk Tm From To G W L T W-L% PF PA PD PC Tot Ply Y/P DPly DY/P TO ToP Time Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD Int Sk Yds Rate Att Yds Y/A TD 1stDOpp Rush Pass Pen
1 CIN 2011 2017 98 58 38 2 0.602 2283 1919 364 4202 33855 6320 5.3568 6344 5.1089 144 50:24:22 05:06:22 2205 3601 61.2 22002 118 103 238 1552 79.4 2505 10409 4.16 71 1875 553 1137 185

We can see the numbers are better across the board, giving up a lower passer rating (79.4), sacking the oppo QB more (thought not much more surprisingly), but have  much healthier Y/A against in passing (6.01 vs the Colts 7.04) and also in rushing. Crucially too they're only giving up 19.5 points a game on average. Overall they're putting their QB in a position where he doesn't have to do as much to succeed. 

The other criticism that's been leveled is we've never given Luck a run game...

Rushing
Rk Tm From To G W L T W-L% Att Yds Y/A TD
1 IND 2012 2017 81 49 32 0 0.605 2093 8167 3.90 55

A pretty slim 3.9 Y/A with less than a TD per game on average.

While in Cinci:

Rushing
1 CIN 2011 2017 98 58 38 2 0.602 2817 11158 3.96 89

Surprisingly again not that much better, although they are much better at scoring with the rushing game at least. 

That is providing some context.

To be clear I think Dalton is a better QB than most make him out to be, certainly in the 10-16 range so better than average. He's fallen off a bit lately, but then I think the Bengals as a whole have slipped. What I will say though is, that while stats are all very nice, they can't beat actually watching the games. If anyone was to watch film on Luck and Dalton and say Dalton is the more "talented" QB I'd question that pretty darn strongly. 

3 hours ago, J@son said:

I agree, but that was my point.  Luck has more raw talent and can still be a good QB even with questionable or even outright bad coaching.  Dalton does not.  Dalton needs quality coaching around him to be successful, and if he has that I think he can be.  But he's never going to be at Luck's level. 

The more succinct way of saying it! :thmup:

4 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

Well to provide some context.... even just on the raw numbers you posted we can see Luck is being asked to do more (more passing attempts on average), has produced more (higher TD%), turned the ball over at the same rate (INT%) (funny as people level the moniker turnover machine at Luck but not Dalton), all while playing behind a far worse o-line (higher average sacks per game). His completion percentage is a smidge lower, but we can see he's also being asked to throw the ball further down the field.

Now to provide even more context, the reason Luck is perceived to have to do more and carry this team has been the lack of defense and running game... so let's compare:

Colts D since 2012 (all passing and rushing numbers are the Opponents numbers)

1 IND 2012 2017 81 49 32 0 0.605 1959 1938 21 3897 28970 5375 5.3898 5188 5.7342 127 41:19:25 04:16:45 1732 2811 61.6 19792 128 64 184 1170 90.2 2193 9957 4.54 70 1656

Not pretty reading , we on average give up more yards per play on D then we produce on O, have allowed a 90.2 passer rating, while only only getting to the opposition QB 2.2 times a game. All while giving up a very nice 4.54 yards against us on the ground. You can also see we give up on average 23.9 points a game. That's putting your QB in a position that he's going to have to go out and win games not just manage them.

Let's look at Cincy since Dalton was drafted (again all numbers for passing and rushing are Opponents):

1 CIN 2011 2017 98 58 38 2 0.602 2283 1919 364 4202 33855 6320 5.3568 6344 5.1089 144 50:24:22 05:06:22 2205 3601 61.2 22002 118 103 238 1552 79.4 2505 10409 4.16 71 1875 553 1137 185

We can see the numbers are better across the board, giving up a lower passer rating (79.4), sacking the oppo QB more (thought not much more surprisingly), but have  much healthier Y/A against in passing (6.01 vs the Colts 7.04) and also in rushing. Crucially too they're only giving up 19.5 points a game on average. Overall they're putting their QB in a position where he doesn't have to do as much to succeed. 

The other criticism that's been leveled is we've never given Luck a run game...

Rushing
1 IND 2012 2017 81 49 32 0 0.605 2093 8167 3.90 55

A pretty slim 3.9 Y/A with less than a TD per game on average.

While in Cinci:

Rushing
1 CIN 2011 2017 98 58 38 2 0.602 2817 11158 3.96 89

Surprisingly again not that much better, although they are much better at scoring with the rushing game at least. 

That is providing some context.

To be clear I think Dalton is a better QB than most make him out to be, certainly in the 10-16 range so better than average. He's fallen off a bit lately, but then I think the Bengals as a whole have slipped. What I will say though is, that while stats are all very nice, they can't beat actually watching the games. If anyone was to watch film on Luck and Dalton and say Dalton is the more "talented" QB I'd question that pretty darn strongly. 

Yup. Stats don't always tell the entire story.

I always find it funny when people complain that a player or team is like average against better competition.

If a guy is like 2-9 against teams above .500 you might have an argument, but like if a dude is around .500 against above average teams, doesn't that make sense? I mean if you get two 10-6 teams to play each other 4 times, it's not unreasonable to think each team would win twice.

And who else would you lose to? Teams that have 10 or 11 wins aren't losing to the Jets and Browns of the league. They'd obviously take L's against better competition. The Cowboys only went 2-2 against teams with more than 10 wins last year. Atlanta was 1-2, and so on.