Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How do you think Ballard did in his first offseason/preseason

RockThatBlue

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

We used the patriots 4th rounder on Banner who just got cut

ah, i see mack was taken with a comp pick, still glad allen is gone and they took his salary.  

how can you say they didnt address the backup QB spot when they just traded for one?  you never know, JB could be ready by week two.  QBs have come in and started sooner than that

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

ah, i see mack was taken with a comp pick, still glad allen is gone and they took his salary.  

how can you say they didnt address the backup QB spot when they just traded for one?  you never know, JB could be ready by week two.  QBs have come in and started sooner than that

I know,  but why wait until September to make a move for a qb?   There were other backup qb possibilities other than brisset.  That is really my only complaint

I just don't know about him at this point. I'm just not willing to endorse him yet. He's already mulliganed some of the players he's brought in, including a mid-round draft pick after one training camp and preseason, and the Brissett trade is just a foolish move. Many of the moves he's made have a lot of question marks around them. 

Time me will tell, but I feel like we're on the ropes with him already. 

11 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I know,  but why wait until September to make a move for a qb?   There were other backup qb possibilities other than brisset.  That is really my only complaint

I don't think any of the other backups were good though. Many of them were old, or wanted big contracts. Brissett is young, and cheap. They waited until September because Edelman tore his ACL. If Edelman hadn't torn his ACL, then this trade never would have happened.

16 hours ago, Bluesmith said:

This is a good question:

QB - Unknown.  I want to believe we will be better long term with Brissett, but I would have preferred Morris starting over Tolzien.  If Brissett starts week 1 over Tolzien and shines, then it will prove how little I know about scouting.

RB - Improved!  Mack and Jones are clear upgrades.

WR - Unchanged. no real movement here other than Aiken who has yet to show his skills.

TE - Unchanged.  Glad to be rid of Allen, but not sure Daniels is an improvement over him.

OL - Unchanged.  I like Bond, out of necessity, but for the most part we have the same pieces as last year.

DL - Improved!  I don't think there is much debate that this is our most improved unit.  Woods and Hankins are clear upgrades, with an eye on Stewart's upside

OLB - Improved!  I like what I have seen so far in Simon and Mingo.  We still need to improve our pass rush, or scheme better than last year.

ILB - Unknown.  I like what I saw from George, still not sold on Bostic and Morrison

CB - Improved!  Like what

I would add a + on the aggressive QB move because of an VG return probability.
And small + at WR.

I have seen so far from Wilson and Hairston, interested in seeing how Desir fits in.

S - Improved!  Found a gem in Farley, and Hooker is going to be a baller sooner than later.

ST - Regressed?  You don't replace Pat McAfee, and not sure if replacing Overton was worth it.  We will find out.

Overall, we went from 4th oldest roster to 4th youngest, so even on units that might be unchanged this season, the ceiling has definitely been raised.  Overall, I think this was an outstanding offseason.

Very good assessment. 

I trust Ballard's pedigree. I believe he can build a D, and more.
5 years of winning games playing a lot of  __tty football is old. 

I would add a + on the aggressive QB move because of a VG return probability.
 Add a small + at WR.  Aiken had a great block to set the edge last game for an 11 yard run. More of this.
Something TY & Dorsett are useless at.  Luck & Rogers were in tune IMO.

3 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

I don't think any of the other backups were good though. Many of them were old, or wanted big contracts. Brissett is young, and cheap. They waited until September because Edelman tore his ACL. If Edelman hadn't torn his ACL, then this trade never would have happened.

There were other backups that could have been traded for is my point

7 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

and the Brissett trade is just a foolish move

why do you say that? dorsett was the fourth best receiver on the team last year

his ceiling was third best behind ty and moncrief

brisett has more trade value than him imo, i think it was a good deal for us

9 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

why do you say that? dorsett was the fourth best receiver on the team last year

his ceiling was third best behind ty and moncrief

brisett has more trade value than him imo, i think it was a good deal for us

What do we need Brisett for? When will he even be ready to play? Week 2 is a stretch. Even week 3 is probably too soon to put him out there. Luck will be back by week 6, so assuming the worst Brisett may play for what, 3 weeks? And that's if Tolzien doesn't perform well enough to force us to make a change. There is a very real possibility that Brisett never sees the field. 

Even at 4th best WR on the team Dorsett will likely have contributed more than Brisett will by the end of this season. 

It just wasn't a logical move in any sense. 

Yes it is more talented.  My post draft grades were:  Hooker B+, Wilson A, Basham A, Banner C, Mack B, Hairston A, Walker A.  I hope it works out that way.  So far, Banner has shown to be the weak link.

The free agent signings were nice too, if just stop gaps.   

1 minute ago, John Waylon said:

What do we need Brisett for? When will he even be ready to play? Week 2 is a stretch. Even week 3 is probably too soon to put him out there. Luck will be back by week 6, so assuming the worst Brisett may play for what, 3 weeks? And that's if Tolzien doesn't perform well enough to force us to make a change. There is a very real possibility that Brisett never sees the field. 

Even at 4th best WR on the team Dorsett will likely have contributed more than Brisett will by the end of this season. 

its not just about right now, brisett could be a really good backup QB for several seasons

he may see the field sooner than you think too.  if tolzien gets hurt or sucks than JB will get his shot

i do like JB too, he has the physical tools to be a quality starter in this league. 

17 hours ago, Flash7 said:

Ballard did a fine job, but ask yourself this. Aside from QB and receiver, which position was difficult to upgrade?

We are worse off at TE. We are no better at MLB. We are no better at CB and we are the same at OL, (the most important area to improve upon).

He improved the DL (where I give him tremendous credit) and overall team depth, but we really needed more improvement umongst  the starters. Yes, we have some new starters, but not noticeable improvement. Hankins is a potential upgrade, which I am excited about.

My overall assessment is that he did a good job, but not stellar. Of course, I could be wrong in my assessment if his draft picks pan out.

How can one say we are no better at CB? We drafted Wilson and Hairston and other than Davis and Melvin most everyone else is new. Peterson who was our starting CB aside of Davis I believe is now out of the league. Are you saying adding Wilson and Hairston for Peterson is not and improvement as they both will be starting Sunday with Hairston in the nickel package.

Some on here complain about anything and everything.

3 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

How can one say we are no better at CB? We drafted Wilson and Hairston and other than Davis and Melvin most everyone else is new. Peterson who was our starting CB aside of Davis I believe is now out of the league. Are you saying adding Wilson and Hairston for Peterson is not and improvement as they both will be starting Sunday with Hairston in the nickel package.

Who the heck is Peterson? Are you talking about Greg Toler? Or Eric Patterson?

Just now, aaron11 said:

its not just about right now, brisett could be a really good backup QB for several seasons

he may see the field sooner than you think too.  if tolzien gets hurt or sucks than JB will get his shot

i do like JB too, he has the physical tools to be a quality starter in this league. 

We already had that in Morris though. He was cheaper, and would have allowed us to move Dorsett for something more useful. The progression of the preseason leads me to believe we are going to sink with Tolzien until we absolutely have to. Morris earned a shot in the preseason and never got it. Why is this coaching staff gonna give him a chance? 

Just now, John Waylon said:

We already had that in Morris though. He was cheaper, and would have allowed us to move Dorsett for something more useful. The progression of the preseason leads me to believe we are going to sink with Tolzien until we absolutely have to. Morris earned a shot in the preseason and never got it. Why is this coaching staff gonna give him a chance? 

A backup QB is useful. Dorsett wouldn't have netted much other than a Day 3 pick. Tolzien starts until Brissett. They brought in Brissett because they don't like Tolzien or Morris. They believe Brissett is better than Morris, which is why the trade took place. 

11 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

Remember Rex Ryan, he did a number on Jacoby Brissett with the Patriots shut down by the Bills in game 4 after Garropolo went down. Thanks to Brock and the Patriots' D and special teams fumbling twice on a short week, on TNF, Brissett got his win vs the woeful Texans who were terrible on offense. The next game, they got shut down by the Bills 16-0, who did not shoot themselves in the foot in Gillette stadium in Foxboro. 

Then he has one all-world game in a game 4 of the pre-season and everyone is willing to anoint him. I am not willing to. Sorry if I don't buy in. Dorsett, year 3, is when I expect wide outs to get out of their shell and start playing, even Reggie Wayne took year 3 to blossom. 

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Remember Rex Ryan, he did a number on Jacoby Brissett with the Patriots shut down by the Bills in game 4 after Garropolo went down. Thanks to Brock and the Patriots' D and special eams on a short week, on TNF, Brissett got his win vs the woeful Texans who were terrible on offense. The next game, they got shut down by the Bills 16-0, who did not shoot themselves in the foot in Gillette stadium in Foxboro. 

Then he has one all-world game in a game 4 of the pre-season and everyone is willing to anoint him. I am not willing to.

he needs to work on his mechanics and the mental aspects of the game

if he does that he will be dangerous, there are quite a few starters less physically gifted than he is 

remember he was a rookie last year, and was not expected to play 

9 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

the people worried about this trade are more focused on what dorsett could have become

im looking at what JB could become, and i think hes more likely to hit his potential

That's really the only way to look at it. The trade is done and might as well move on. That is what the Colts have done.

We have a lot of other issues to debate or talk about now than to dwell on what if's.

1 hour ago, John Waylon said:

Pretty sure they were gonna cut dorsett.  I don't have a problem with the trade.  I just wish a better backup was in here sooner than Saturday

1 hour ago, John Waylon said:

The staff clearly knew something about Morris that we didn't.  

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Yes it is more talented.  My post draft grades were:  Hooker B+, Wilson A, Basham A, Banner C, Mack B, Hairston A, Walker A.  I hope it works out that way.  So far, Banner has shown to be the weak link.

The free agent signings were nice too, if just stop gaps.   

Impossible to grade draft picks before they have ever played a snap

4 hours ago, John Waylon said:

He will be needed after they probably cut Tolzein. 

We have to take a little time to see who will emerge through this process it is R-E-B-U-I-L-D-I-N-G !

We have to field a team before and see them perform in the regular season to gauge where the next

step is for next season. Just be glad that we have a franchise  QB that needs to get healthy. A lot of

teams have a lot of the pieces and no QB to speak of. and yes our current QB situation is rocky

but let's see how the season progresses before we panic!

I think he did a great job...on paper. Like others I questioned a couple of moves, but he quickly provided answers that satisfies those concerns for now. So long as luck doesn't miss more than say 4 games, maybe 5, I think the team has as good a chance as the others to win the afc south.

10 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Had the move been made in May or June I would understand it.  Not 8 days before the season starts

JE just got hurt a week or so ago....Some players are not available until a bigger need presents itself. So since there is only 8 days left Ballard should stop improving the roster?

5 hours ago, John Waylon said:

Logic is sound in this move with Lucks history having and QB that has the traits needed to run our offense is a major asset . Dorsett was on the bubble and being outplayed by A udfa add in he does not fit the mold of wr we are looking for . 

Think the D overall looks better, and will look much better if pass rushers come through.

It is the OL that is frustrating. How do we not have a decent starting RT going into the season- Clark looked horrid, released Banner, Vujnovich was meh,  and we picked up no decent OL on the waiver wire to fill the gap. How many more surgeries does Luck have to have before we put 5 solid guys on the field? We also have zero decent veteran depth along the OL (decent, meaning Good does not count). We are an injury away from Ian Silberman starting on our OL.