Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Your 5 Surprising Cuts

OHColtfan

OK, something to do between now and cut down day. 5 guys you believe we might be surprised to see hit the streets on cut down day.

My 5...

1) TJ Green- can't crack line up as a safety and no experience at CB.

2) Grover Stewart- outplayed by McGill and Parry

3) Rashaan Melvin- Hariston appears to have played his way into the top 3 CB's and Wilson could easily take Melvin's CB2 spot with Culiver as backup

4) Chester Rogers- Dorsett seems to have righted himself some and Natson has played well enough to cover Rogers' spot while winning the KR job. Of course could easily put Dorsett in this spot as well.  

5) Sean Spence- purely numbers game at ILB

Rogers could be. This year Chuck has preached availability. Said guys need to practice and play and be available. Dorseett might have saved himself vs Steelers. Natson is also making a case even though I think he is a PS Lock.

TJ Green was a disaster at safety and isnt doing much at CB. Davis, Wilson, Hairston, Culliver etc have been better.

Sean Spence has missed a good chunk of time.

David Parry I think is the odd man out in a deep DL group.

I don't think Parry or Spence count as a surprise cuts. Maybe Spence did in June. He was at the bottom of the first depth chart the team released.  He followed that up by missing nearly every practice and the last two games. Here are 5 surprises.

1. Locke- Sanchez has a strong leg.

2. Hennissay- Then we can keep Rhodes who is an assets on ST's but I don't think he is good enough on D to make the roster there.

3. Dorsett- We are looking for a trade partner doesn't appear there was much interest. Will we give him the boot 

4. Bond this really shouldn't be a surprise Schwenke is back 

5. Tolzien Luck comes off the PUP list and Morris takes the back up job. 

Rogers is not going to get cut. If he can't get back on the field he will go to the IR I expect an announcement that's where Spence is headed soon. There is no way Stewart will be cut That guys going to surprise some people this year. Speaking of surprises Sankey slides on as the last ILB Will he survive the rest of the leagues cut downs? 

14 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I don't know if I have 5 surprise cuts but I think one surprise cut will be Darius Butler.  He is just not a good safety and he doesn't have the quickness anymore to be a good #3 CB. 

One of Moncrief, Dorsett, or Rogers will be gone.  I'm not sure which.

Moncrief will not be cut

3 hours ago, OHColtfan said:

OK, something to do between now and cut down day. 5 guys you believe we might be surprised to see hit the streets on cut down day.

My 5...

1) TJ Green- can't crack line up as a safety and no experience at CB.

2) Grover Stewart- outplayed by McGill and Parry

3) Rashaan Melvin- Hariston appears to have played his way into the top 3 CB's and Wilson could easily take Melvin's CB2 spot with Culiver as backup

4) Chester Rogers- Dorsett seems to have righted himself some and Natson has played well enough to cover Rogers' spot while winning the KR job. Of course could easily put Dorsett in this spot as well.  

5) Sean Spence- purely numbers game at ILB

FWW. . . It's not surprising that Stewart has been outplayed by McGill and Parry.  The scouting report on this guy was that he was very very raw but has some great physical traits.  

I think they will keep him and see if they can't develop him.  

45 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

FWW. . . It's not surprising that Stewart has been outplayed by McGill and Parry.  The scouting report on this guy was that he was very very raw but has some great physical traits.  

I think they will keep him and see if they can't develop him.  

Can't see Stewart being cut. A Ballard draft choice and he gets a good push up the middle. He doesn't quit on plays.

P.S.  He's not a relative nor am I his agent!

3 minutes ago, ColtsAC said:

Can't see Stewart being cut. A Ballard draft choice and he gets a good push up the middle. He doesn't quit on plays.

P.S.  He's not a relative nor am I his agent!

Well the thing to me is that if you are drafting a guy in the 4th round who's scouting report is that he's extremely raw . . . you don't cut him just cause he's getting outplayed by some rotational vets in the first pre-season.  

When you are drafting a guy like that you are drafting a project.  One that you can't really evaluate until at least the next training camp.  

1. Denzel Good-Was always overrated. Lost his job to Joe Haeg last season

2. TJ Green-No one knows what to do with him and he's been outplayed by Farley.

3. Frank Gore-Old and they might go all in on Mack attack

4. Sean Spence- Hasn't shown anything in camp or pre-season

5. Edwin Jackson- Overrated. Despite people saying he's more athletic, he couldn't beat out Morrison.

On a side note I think Dorsett gets traded to the Bills for Reggie Ragland. Matthews and Jones are possession receivers. They need a deep threat with speed since they lost Goodwin.

I could also see Schwenke being cut.  He has a history of injuries, has been injured since becoming a Colt Bond has proven he can hold down the center spot until Kelly returns.

Additionally, if you look back at his history he wasn't that good when starting.

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/8533/brian-schwenke

Here are some quotes from past news 

Schwenke missed time as a 2013 rookie with a high-ankle sprain and needed offseason surgery. In 2014, he tore his MCL and finished the year on I.R. before then dislocating his ankle this past season and again was sent to injured reserve. Schwenke has made just 25-of-48 starts and really hasn't even been good when on the field. Upgrading their line is a focus for the Titans.

G/C Eric Olsen has been signed in a corresponding roster move. Schwenke has a torn left MCL. Schwenke had started all 11 games this season, missing only one snap before Week 12. He was playing at a sub-replacement level, however. A second-year fourth rounder, Schwenke is signed cheaply through 2016, but won't be guaranteed to retain his starting job in 2015. Chris Spencer is the next man up on the depth chart.

Ballard probably had some notes on him from when he was with KC and thought he'd bring him in, perhaps he'd stay healthy and the light would come on.  But do the Colts really need an oft-injured, below average player?

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

5. Edwin Jackson- Overrated. Despite people saying he's more athletic, he couldn't beat out Morrison.

On a side note I think Dorsett gets traded to the Bills for Reggie Ragland. Matthews and Jones are possession receivers. They need a deep threat with speed since they lost Goodwin.

Chiefs traded for Ragland. A fourth round pick I thought I read.

Chiefs traded for Ragland. A fourth round pick I thought I read.

Yeah just saw it. I wonder if Ballard inquired about him? A 4th is about what I thought for him. Seems the Bills are stockpiling draft picks. It's still not to late for someone to trade for Dorsett though.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah just saw it. I wonder if Ballard inquired about him? A 4th is about what I thought for him. Seems the Bills are stockpiling draft picks. It's still not to late for someone to trade for Dorsett though.

I wouldn't have given up a 4th. That's too much for a team that's rebuilding and would be better saved for the draft.

10 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

The only surprise cut i have is , Geathers . The nature of that neck injury is just awful. I think he has seen his last days as a Colt.

I agree that Geathers has probably played his last football game as a Colt and probably his last football game as a professional football player.  But since he is on PUP and will then go to IR, it doesn't make any sense to cut him unless they want to get out of paying him but that is not really Irsay's style.