Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay Says If Peyton Wants To Play Here Next Year, Then That's What Will Happen

coltsblue1844

Jim Irsay said saturday night that Peyton Manning can play for the Colts next season, if that's what he wants to do. Provided he's able to play, and wants to stay in Indy, he will be our QB next season, and we will still take Andrew Luck for our future QB once Peyton does retire.

Irsay said that he wants to sit down with Peyton and talk about what Peyton wants to do and what his hopes are as far as working with the salary cap etc.

When asked if Peyton will be the Colts QB next season, Jim said

“If he wants to, yes, he will,” Irsay said. “You know, I think that’s the thing. I want to hear from him, and if he wants to be here, and he wants to play here, you know, then that’s what it’s going to be.”

here is the link to the full story: http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/sports/colts_and_nfl/jim-irsay-peyton-can-remain-a-colt

I'm willing to bet that THIS doesnt get any air time on ESPN or NFL Network, though, because it strongly goes against what they have all been telling us for the past couple weeks.

To me, its good news...shows that Jim DOES want Peyton here, but they just have to talk things through and iron out the details for a new contract instead of sticking with the current one.

I DO want Luck to be here as our FUTURE...but i'm not ready to give up on having Peyton here as our guy right NOW

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If Peyton is healthy by March 8th..... including 100% nerve regeneration OR there is a way to slide the bonus date and renegotiate his contract to a cap-friendly structure, but which has been widely reported here and everywhere as undoable due to the CBA..... then I'm all for it.

But that 28 million dollar bonus should NOT be paid, nor should a 17 million dollar salary cap hit be absorbed if Peyton is not 100% healthy by the March 8th trigger date.

"his health is obviously the first concern"

Is the biggest quote in the article.

This situation hasnt really changed

Three options are there

1) Peytons not 100% NFL superstar healthy - he is gone

There have been many NFL players rehabbing from injuries that have been cleared to play in the NFL, but

didnt reach the same level.

2) Peyton is 100% healthy, and is 100% back to before and WANTS to be a Colt next year - He is a Colt next year

3) Peyton is 100% healthy and is 100% back to before and DOESNT WANT to be a Colt next year - He gets released

Jim Irsay said saturday night that Peyton Manning can play for the Colts next season, if that's what he wants to do. Provided he's able to play, and wants to stay in Indy, he will be our QB next season, and we will still take Andrew Luck for our future QB once Peyton does retire.

Irsay said that he wants to sit down with Peyton and talk about what Peyton wants to do and what his hopes are as far as working with the salary cap etc.

“If he wants to, yes, he will,” Irsay said. “You know, I think that’s the thing. I want to hear from him, and if he wants to be here, and he wants to play here, you know, then that’s what it’s going to be.”

here is the link to the full story: http://www.wishtv.co...n-remain-a-colt

I'm willing to bet that THIS doesnt get any air time on ESPN or NFL Network, though, because it strongly goes against what they have all been telling us for the past couple weeks.

To me, its good news...shows that Jim DOES want Peyton here, but they just have to talk things through and iron out the details for a new contract instead of sticking with the current one.

I DO want Luck to be here as our FUTURE...but i'm not ready to give up on having Peyton here as our guy right NOW

Just posturing. He's setting the stage to decline the option. And blame that on Manning, because he wouldn't compromise as fras as the salary cap.

Let's take a look at what Irsay said...

"I hope that it works out, and that he’s here with us, but like I said, I want to hear from him, and just see what his hopes are in terms of how we work it through with ALL the salary cap issues,” Irsay said. “But his health is obviously the first concern as well."

The emphasis is mine to illustrate how it reads to me. IMO, this is far from any guarantee that Peyton will be back next year. In fact, it is not much different from what he has been saying all along. Basically to paraphrase he is essentially saying this,

"Yo Peyton dude, we'd love to have you back next year if you still wanna be here. However, you know I need to have some reassurance that you are healthy and good to go man. Also giving this uncertainty about your health your contract is killing our cap dude. So if you wanna play with us, we need to come up with something better here. Now if you can show me that you are 100% and you are willing to play for less money...welcome back to Indy baby."

The ball would then essentially be in Peyton's court at that point. If Peyton is healthy but doesn't want to play here for less money given the circumstances so he can remain a Colt, he then looks like the bad guy. Can you see the posturing that is going on here? They are battling to win the court of public opinion.

Let's take a look at what Irsay said...

"I hope that it works out, and that he’s here with us, but like I said, I want to hear from him, and just see what his hopes are in terms of how we work it through with ALL the salary cap issues,” Irsay said. “But his health is obviously the first concern as well."

The emphasis is mine to illustrate how it reads to me. IMO, this is far from any guarantee that Peyton will be back next year. In fact, it is not much different from what he has been saying all along. Basically to paraphrase he is essentially saying this,

"Yo Peyton dude, we'd love to have you back next year if you still wanna be here. However, you know I need to have some reassurance that you are healthy and good to go man. Also giving this uncertainty about your health your contract is killing our cap dude. So if you wanna play with us, we need to come up with something better here. Now if you can show me that you are 100% and you are willing to play for less money...welcome back to Indy baby."

The ball would then essentially be in Peyton's court at that point. If Peyton is healthy but doesn't want to play here for less money given the circumstances so he can remain a Colt, he then looks like the bad guy. Can you see the posturing that is going on here? They are battling to win the court of public opinion.

This is exactly what I got out of that interview when I watched it. I know the people that want Manning here no matter what are going to see this as great news, but in reality, Irsay is saying exactly what he's been saying all along. If Peyton is willing to play ball and prove he's 100% healthy and will take much less money to stay here, then he is more than welcome. If not, then he is as good as gone.

The quote in the first post is kind of open. It could very well mean that if Manning is willing to get cut and then resign he will be a Colt. Manning may not want to be a Colt under Irsays terms.

Irsay and Manning are BOTH politicians, both spinning this and trying to get the public on their side. Now Irsay is putting it all on Manning saying if he wants to be a Colt he will be. But under what conditions?

This is exactly what I got out of that interview when I watched it. I know the people that want Manning here no matter what are going to see this as great news, but in reality, Irsay is saying exactly what he's been saying all along. If Peyton is willing to play ball and prove he's 100% healthy and will take much less money to stay here, then he is more than welcome. If not, then he is as good as gone.

Exactly.... I'm pretty sure that at this point, the interested public knows that Peyton, while healthy enough to go out and play football, has still not recovered to his prior performance level.

Against that backdrop, Irsay is laying out the financial and business realities.... and that IMO, is not posturing.

Provided that it is indeed possible to release Manning now and re-negotiate a contract a couple of weeks later on:

I think that the impetus for making a new contract which is more cap-friendly should come from Manning (because of the money he got last year plus the talent he would like to have around him this year). I would find it a bit unfair from Irsay to ask for a modified contract though because the current one would have also hit the Colts hard if Manning would have no problems and was 100% ready to go. So I cannot understand how Irsay can now ask for a change of a contract he previously fully agreed to (and he surely knew the cap implications). On the other hand I would be disappointed if Manning really was after the money solely.

Provided that it is indeed possible to release Manning now and re-negotiate a contract a couple of weeks later on:

I think that the impetus for making a new contract which is more cap-friendly should come from Manning (because of the money he got last year plus the talent he would like to have around him this year). I would find it a bit unfair from Irsay to ask for a modified contract though because the current one would have also hit the Colts hard if Manning would have no problems and was 100% ready to go. So I cannot understand how Irsay can now ask for a change of a contract he previously fully agreed to (and he surely knew the cap implications). On the other hand I would be disappointed if Manning really was after the money solely.

If Manning would have been healthy last season then the Colts would have never been in the position to have the #1 pick and draft Mannings replacement. Whether people like it or not, that changed everything when it was discovered that Manning would not play at all last season. If Manning would have played, the Polians, Caldwell and his staff would have still been here and the Colts certainly would not have the first pick in the draft. Stituations change due to unforseen circumstances and because of that Irsay was put in a position to look more to the future.

If Manning would have been healthy last season then the Colts would have never been in the position to have the #1 pick and draft Mannings replacement. Whether people like it or not, that changed everything when it was discovered that Manning would not play at all last season. If Manning would have played, the Polians, Caldwell and his staff would have still been here and the Colts certainly would not have the first pick in the draft. Stituations change due to unforseen circumstances and because of that Irsay was put in a position to look more to the future.

100% Correct. If Peyton wouldn't have had to miss all of this season then our cap situation would have still been a problem. Why is it now all of a sudden we can't afford Peyton and need to restructure?

Exactly.... I'm pretty sure that at this point, the interested public knows that Peyton, while healthy enough to go out and play football, has still not recovered to his prior performance level.

Against that backdrop, Irsay is laying out the financial and business realities.... and that IMO, is not posturing.

you have no idea if this is true. and if it is true, he has been dealing with problems that have limited his arm strength since the injury happened (years ago) and has performed well. once fully recovered he actually may have a better arm than he did the last 3 years b4 the surgery.

and because of that Irsay was put in a position to look more to the future.

You are right, circumstances change. But it would nevertheless be unfair from Irsay to use cap problems as an argument because the cap would have also been a problem if Manning never would have been injured.

You are right, circumstances change. But it would nevertheless be unfair from Irsay to use cap problems as an argument because the cap would have also been a problem if Manning never would have been injured.

Thats true, but what Im saying is now that the Colts have a new GM and a new coaching staff with different philosophies and schemes, the Colts will need to add different style players to the roster since it looks like were going to a 3-4 defense. They will also need upgrades at different positions that Polian always ignored because he had number 18 covering up those deficiencies on the roster. The point being, they will need more money now than what Irsay thought they would need last yr. when he signed Manning to that contract.

you have no idea if this is true. and if it is true, he has been dealing with problems that have limited his arm strength since the injury happened (years ago) and has performed well. once fully recovered he actually may have a better arm than he did the last 3 years b4 the surgery.

All reports have said that his nerve regeneration has NOT reached 100%.... you are aware of that, right?

And "once fully recovered" means you know it is a medical certainty? And exactly when will this take place?

Its funny how everyone thinks getting Andrew luck is a forgone conclusion lol, The news between these two guys luck and Griffin is just heating up... I wouldn't be surprised if luck participates in ALL of the combine because of Griffin.

But that statement about peyton isn't anything new if peyton is HEALTHY and wants to stay he stays... health first though.

here is the link to the full story: http://www.wishtv.co...n-remain-a-colt

GREAT post TC. I'm sooo glad to hear this. It angers me that this is the truth (see bold). I have been sooo sick and tired of reading all the ^cowpatties^ that "Manning is gone" on s*it sites like ProFootballTalk. WHat a joke that site is, and it's supposed to be "real news"!

Just posturing. He's setting the stage to decline the option. And blame that on Manning, because he wouldn't compromise as fras as the salary cap.

This is what it sounds like in this article to me. Setting up for the public backlash later by saying hey, I told him we wanted him here and he told us he would rather be somewhere else and to let Luck become the new man. Bad thing is, I can see Manning understanding where the Colts are from the business standpoint and accepting it but the fans and media will hammer on the Colts over allowing Manning to walk and play somewhere else.

All reports have said that his nerve regeneration has NOT reached 100%.... you are aware of that, right?

And "once fully recovered" means you know it is a medical certainty? And exactly when will this take place?

With the surgery taking place in september and it being a 1 year recovery why would he be at 100% now? he is not at 100% but is coming along at the expected rate. why assume anything more than the facts. facts are manning is still recovering, AS EXPECTED, and there is no reason to assume something will go wrong.

The story should be whether Irsay wants to stick with Manning or go with a cheaper younger QB. NOT whether manning will be healthy or not

If the option-bonus was too much for the Colts to afford we should never have agreed to it last offseason. You can't tell me we didn't have people who knew the ramifications of the contract before we agreed to it.

The option-bonus it's self is not the issue. The issue is locking themselves into the contract for the next four years and then finding out Peyton can't play. After March 8th if the Colts have to release Peyton Manning the cap hits will kill us. Not only will it hurt us this year but it will keep hurting us over the life of the contract. If we release him before March 8th we take a 10 million cap hit but after this year he's off the books. That's the issue. I am not sure if the Colts can take the risk on locking themselves into Peyton's contract on March 8th if he's not healthy because if he doesn't get better it will be a diaster with the cap that will kill our franchise for the next four yeas.

Don't listen to the media when they say you can't pay whatever the number is the Colts would have to pay for Peyton and the top pick in the draft. Most of that money is money out of Irsay's pocket and he's proven he has no issue paying the money. The cap numbers are what matters and if healthy you can afford both Manning and Luck. The problem is you can't afford Peyton Manning after March 8th if he's not healthy because of what it does to the contract.

That's why this option date was put in here, to protect the Colts in case Manning couldn't play again so they would be in huge trouble with the cap going forward. It was a class move by Peyton to look out for the future of the franchise when he wanted it put in there.

If the option-bonus was too much for the Colts to afford we should never have agreed to it last offseason. You can't tell me we didn't have people who knew the ramifications of the contract before we agreed to it.

Here's the problem with what you're saying. Last yr. when the contract was signed Irsay had no way of knowing that Manning was going to require another surgery and have long term nerve problems. I guarantee that if Irsay knew then what he knows now, that contract would never have happened.

I also posted this in another thread, but if Manning would have been healthy last yr. then we would not be in the position to have the #1 pick and get a guy like Luck. The Polians, Caldwell, and staff would have all still have a job here. Since the unforseeable situation happened that Manning was out all season and the Colts sucked to high heaven, Irsay decided it was best to look to the future of the franchise. He hired a new GM and and all new coaching staff with different philosopies and schemes. Therefore, the Colts are put into a position to need new personel to fit the new scheme's and without doubt, need upgrades at several positions. They will need the money they will save from releasing Manning to make those improvments to the roster. Unforseen circumstances leads to different idea's that Irsay did not originally plan on having to make.

The option-bonus it's self is not the issue. The issue is locking themselves into the contract for the next four years and then finding out Peyton can't play. After March 8th if the Colts have to release Peyton Manning the cap hits will kill us. Not only will it hurt us this year but it will keep hurting us over the life of the contract. If we release him before March 8th we take a 10 million cap hit but after this year he's off the books. That's the issue. I am not sure if the Colts can take the risk on locking themselves into Peyton's contract on March 8th if he's not healthy because if he doesn't get better it will be a diaster with the cap that will kill our franchise for the next four yeas.

Honestly, I don't think the Colts should pick up the option if we're planning on drafting Luck.

What I'm saying is last May (or whenever) when they signed the contract they knew this was a possibility. You don't agree to 28M signing bonuses on a player about to get neck surgery without considering all options. If the Colts feel like it is too risky they have every right to back out.

But if Peyton feels like he will be his 100% self he has every right to demand the Colts uphold that contract if they want him. For Irsay to come out and imply that Manning needs to take less if he wants to be a Colt is very unprofessional. He should have signed a contract with this in mind.

What Peyton's going through is NOT an extreme circumstance that nobody saw coming. It's different than what was hoped for but everybody knew the possibilities all along.

If the Colts signed a contract based on hopes and dreams they shouldn't try to defer that mistake to the player.

Here's the problem with what you're saying. Last yr. when the contract was signed Irsay had no way of knowing that Manning was going to require another surgery and have long term nerve problems. I guarantee that if Irsay knew then what he knows now, that contract would never have happened.

I guarentee he knew it was a possibility. I have enough faith in our medical staff(which should be one of the best in the country considering they are catering to an NFL team) to inform Irsay that a spinal fusion definitely ran the risk of Peyton missing a season and potentially more.

But I mean, the contract was set-up for the scenario that Peyton wouldn't be healthy and the Colts could release him.

The problem is Peyton is saying that he will be healthy, but Irsay doesn't know that 100% and has Luck on the board.

I don't agree with Irsay saying it's a money issue if they agreed to those dollar amounts last year. It's only a money issue now because we're under a new GM and have the ability to get Luck.

I guarentee he knew it was a possibility. I have enough faith in our medical staff(which should be one of the best in the country considering they are catering to an NFL team) to inform Irsay that a spinal fusion definitely ran the risk of Peyton missing a season and potentially more.

But I mean, the contract was set-up for the scenario that Peyton wouldn't be healthy.

The problem is Peyton is saying that he will, but Irsay doesn't know that 100% and has Luck on the board.

I'm with you, Tony.

That last surgery took place like what.....1 week after the contract? Very dubious stuff.

With the surgery taking place in september and it being a 1 year recovery why would he be at 100% now? he is not at 100% but is coming along at the expected rate. why assume anything more than the facts. facts are manning is still recovering, AS EXPECTED, and there is no reason to assume something will go wrong.

The story should be whether Irsay wants to stick with Manning or go with a cheaper younger QB. NOT whether manning will be healthy or not

You are absolutely naive to think that Manning being completely healthy enough to play at his expected level of play is still a very large concern.

Honestly, I don't think the Colts should pick up the option if we're planning on drafting Luck.

What I'm saying is last May (or whenever) when they signed the contract they knew this was a possibility. You don't agree to 28M signing bonuses on a player about to get neck surgery without considering all options. If the Colts feel like it is too risky they have every right to back out.

But if Peyton feels like he will be his 100% self he has every right to demand the Colts uphold that contract if they want him. For Irsay to come out and imply that Manning needs to take less if he wants to be a Colt is very unprofessional. He should have signed a contract with this in mind.

What Peyton's going through is NOT an extreme circumstance that nobody saw coming. It's different than what was hoped for but everybody knew the possibilities all along.

If the Colts signed a contract based on hopes and dreams they shouldn't try to defer that mistake to the player.

Again the option is there so the Colts could get out of the contract. The 28 million was going to be apart of the contract even without it. If the option wasn't there the only thing the Colts would be looking at right now is being locked into Peyton's contract and hoping he gets healthy because if he doesn't we we would be looking at a huge cap hit to release him.

The money isn't the issue. It's the cap hit if we release him after the date that's the issue and that was was going to be there with or without the option. The only thing the option does is give the Colts an out if Peyton's not healthy to protect themselves for the future.

You are absolutely naive to think that Manning being completely healthy enough to play at his expected level of play is still a very large concern.

Even Mort, who has been the biggest support I've seen on the national level that Manning's nerve will come back, said today (on TV so no one ask for a link because I don't have one) that it is very unlikely that Peyton Manning's nerve will have healed by March 8th to the point where the Colts would feel he's healthy enough to commit to him.

For what its worth, Tony Dungy said on the SB pre game show (NBC) he doesn't think Manning will be back. He thinks and I quote something along these lines "for the first time I think Manning might play elsewhere". I guess originally he thought there was no way Manning was leaving. He was also at the dinner on thurs with irsay and irsay told him that the entire situation is stressful.

Again the option is there so the Colts could get out of the contract.

More than aware of that as I stated;

If the Colts feel like it is too risky they have every right to back out.

But I mean, the contract was set-up for the scenario that Peyton wouldn't be healthy and the Colts could release him.

The 28 million was going to be apart of the contract even without it. If the option wasn't there the only thing the Colts would be looking at right now is being locked into Peyton's contract and hoping he gets healthy because if he doesn't we we would be looking at a huge cap hit to release him.

The money isn't the issue. It's the cap hit if we release him after the date that's the issue and that was was going to be there with or without the option. The only thing the option does is give the Colts an out if Peyton's not healthy to protect themselves for the future.

This is Peyton forcing the Colts to either make him 'their guy,' or move on from him. I don't envision Peyton playing second fiddle or being very happy about the team building around Luck if they're going to keep him around 4 more years. The 28m is a commitment mechanism. Again, if the Colts don't want to commit they don't have to. But if you read the first post in this thread Irsay is trying to turn this into a money issue. Anything to do with the cap is a money issue.

First of all... there are widely differing medical opinions on the timeline for nerve regeneration and how some patients "plateau" in there recovery.

And secondly, the huge salary cap commitment against an uncertain medical outcome has been Irsay's contention the entire time....regardless of how the story characterized Irsay's comments.

If he's not 100% by March 8th and it is true that there is no way around that monstrosity of a roster bonus..... then Manning should be released.