Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Realistic FA Wishlist

Just want to know what everyone is thinking in this boring/build up time before free agency...list away

Stephon Gilmore or Dre Kirkpatrick - either can start next to Davis. Both young and shows good potential. Better than any other corner we had last year besides Davis. With this Colts can move Robinson to the slot to replace Butler.

Dont'a Hightower- instant upgrade, starter, good all around linebacker.

Dontari Poe or Brandon Williams- either will start over parry, huge upgrade.

Jabaal Sheard- can replace Walden, starter capability.

Micah Hyde-  versatile player, can play safety or corner when needed. Good all around player. 

I know we need pass rushers, i say fix that in the draft along with other needs such as running backs, one more young player on Dline, another inside linebacker to battle for spot next to whoever starts, safety, cornerback, and a TE to replace Doyle (who wants to test FA and might leave for a better contract)

Nice list TY.  Dre said he'd like to re-sign with the Bengals but we all know how frugal they can be.  He won't be cheap.

I'd love to see Poe and Hightower wearing the horseshoe, but that's a lot of coin in two guys.  Although Poe may be more of a need now.

I think we currently have one guy on D making over $10M.  Assuming we either cut or redo Jones's contract, then we don't even have one guy making $5M.  So there's room and money to bring in a high paid player.  I'd rather do it with a proven star than play moneyball with a couple of 'hope they work out' types.

TJ Lang - Philbin was his OC for 3 years when he came into the league. Wonder if we'll have pull there. Would shore up the right side allowing Haeg/Clark to battle for RT.

Poe - Obviously there's the tie to Ballard there. If concerns over his health check out, you have to think the Colts are in the top 2-3 to land him.

Kirkpatrick - I like him as well. Not quite in the top 2-3 CB in this FA class so hopefully he's more affordable. I think he's a great transition to #1 CB as Vontae gets older. Gives the Colts time to draft and groom a young CB as well.

Guys I'd like to see back:

Ayers - Cheap contract, serviceable depth at a position where we have no one right now.

Butler - Move to FS to replace Adams and keep Green off the field until ready

Turbin - Like him in goal line/1-2 yds to go situations

Doyle - would like to have him back for his consistency and Indy connection, but I'm not going to be upset if he goes elsewhere for 6+ million per.

I'd like to resign Doyle, Butler, and Mike Adams.

I think we should keep Adams for one more year and keep Butler as our slot corner while using him in the safety position occasionally.

1. Poe

2. TJ Lang

3. Hightower

4. Gilmore or another corner.

5. If we don't sign Doyle, Vernon Davis.

Basically its Nick Perry or bust in FA, then Tim Williams/Taco Charlton/Takk McKinley or bust in round 1. We need 2 dominant pass rushers. We can sign at least 3 really good players in FA so I think we need to start trying to build the best pass rush in the NFL. Perry, Williams, then a 2nd-3rd rounder (Lawson, Watt, Willis, Anderson, Nwachukwu, Smoot, Hall) Then I'd grab a kid like Jo Jo Mathis in the 6th or so.

38 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Nice list TY.  Dre said he'd like to re-sign with the Bengals but we all know how frugal they can be.  He won't be cheap.

I'd love to see Poe and Hightower wearing the horseshoe, but that's a lot of coin in two guys.  Although Poe may be more of a need now.

I think we currently have one guy on D making over $10M.  Assuming we either cut or redo Jones's contract, then we don't even have one guy making $5M.  So there's room and money to bring in a high paid player.  I'd rather do it with a proven star than play moneyball with a couple of 'hope they work out' types.

I agree, it's about time colts take a shot on at least 1 or 2 high priced DEFENSIVE FA's instead of signing average players and hoping they play to or above their recent seasons..have to take a chance at some point. Doing the same things will have the same results!

2 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Basically its Nick Perry or bust in FA, then Tim Williams/Taco Charlton/Takk McKinley or bust in round 1. We need 2 dominant pass rushers. We can sign at least 3 really good players in FA so I think we need to start trying to build the best pass rush in the NFL. Perry, Williams, then a 2nd-3rd rounder (Lawson, Watt, Willis, Anderson, Nwachukwu, Smoot, Hall) Then I'd grab a kid like Jo Jo Mathis in the 6th or so.

Oh yea, i forgot about nick parry. He could be a huge upgrade as well. Cut Arthur Jones and sign parry. That with at least a couple of the ones i mentioned could turn this defense around

Or if we feel Haeg can be an elite G, then that's just awesome, as we wouldn't have to spend on a OL.

Nick Perry

AJ Bouye

Donta Hightower

Alan Branch

Armonty Bryant

That's 3 big time, young playmakers. All what? Like 26 years old. Then Branch, and Bryant as a no risk monster reward type signing.

Don't under estimate Branch. He could be really solid as a run stuffing NT for a year or 2 until we draft some beast. And the big thing is he'll be a lot cheaper than Poe, Williams, or Hankins.

3 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

But man. It wouldn't surprise me if CB did something surprising and signed Alshon Jeffery, Kevin Zeitler, then traded for Sheldon Richardson or something. We're gonna spend money, bet on it.

I hope we spend some money as you say. But they have to be smart about it. Don't want to be in salary cap hell like the Cowboys and those other teams that struggle year after year with salary cap

8 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Or if we feel Haeg can be an elite G, then that's just awesome, as we wouldn't have to spend on a OL.

Nick Perry

AJ Bouye

Donta Hightower

Alan Branch

Armonty Bryant

That's 3 big time, young playmakers. All what? Like 26 years old. Then Branch, and Bryant as a no risk monster reward type signing.

Don't under estimate Branch. He could be really solid as a run stuffing NT for a year or 2 until we draft some beast. And the big thing is he'll be a lot cheaper than Poe, Williams, or Hankins.

That's why i didn't list a FA lineman. Maybe we can bring in one offensive lineman to better the competition, but Haeg and Clarke showed great promise. Especially Haeg! He can only get better after starting at MULTIPLE positions and doing fairly well! 

There's so many possibilities. But IMO. There's no scenario that we shouldn't go all in for Perry. I don't care if we gotta offer up Vernon money, and can only sign 1 other good player like Morris Claiborne, I want Perry no matter what. And I personally hope we don't bring in any WR other than Gordon when he's re-instated. Steal, Steal, Steal he would be playing 16 games, and a pro bowler he'd be with 12 throwing to him. He needs to be a Colt under any means necessary when he's reinstated. I'm gonna start up my mocks soon.

Nick Perry - 5 years, 56 million

AJ Bouye - 5 years, 58 million

Donta Hightower - 4 years, 44 Million

Alan Branch - 1 year, 5 million

Armonty Bryant - 1 year, 2 million

Trade for/Sign Josh Gordon when he's re-instated. We could basically have Julio for dirt cheap, assuming he keeps out of trouble and is playing 16 games.

Again. 3 big signings. We have to be the NYG of last year. And we have 12. Imagine what these guys, plus a home run draft would do for our team!!!!! I'd look at a guy like Chris Baker too.

For those against Gordon. He, with Luck throwing him the ball would be a pro bowler, and Gordon, TY, and Crief would be a nightmare for defenses.

30 minutes ago, TYtheMan13 said:

I hope we spend some money as you say. But they have to be smart about it. Don't want to be in salary cap hell like the Cowboys and those other teams that struggle year after year with salary cap

Man we are gonna have money to spend, and as long as we hit on at least 2-3 players in the draft for the next 2-3 years we wont have any cap issues, as the young guys would come in and replace some older guys, we could let some guys walk, etc. By that time with great drafts we could let Vontae walk and obviously Langford, Allen, if he's not cut this year, which he should be, Branch if we sign him, and even replacing Vinny in a year or 2 with a UDFA would free up a couple mill, etc. Its all about hitting in the draft. Worry about 3-4 years from now when that time comes. I mean we could have a draft where we come our with 5 starters one year, as I think CB will bring in some stars via the draft.

8 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

There's so many possibilities. But IMO. There's no scenario that we shouldn't go all in for Perry. I don't care if we gotta offer up Vernon money, and can only sign 1 other good player like Morris Claiborne, I want Perry no matter what. And I personally hope we don't bring in any WR other than Gordon when he's re-instated. Steal, Steal, Steal he would be playing 16 games, and a pro bowler he'd be with 12 throwing to him. He needs to be a Colt under any means necessary when he's reinstated. I'm gonna start up my mocks soon.

Trade for/Sign Josh Gordon when he's re-instated. We could basically have Julio for dirt cheap, assuming he keeps out of trouble and is playing 16 games.

Again. 3 big signings. We have to be the NTG of last year. And we have 12. Imagine what these guys, plus a home run draft would do for our team!!!!! I'd look at a guy like Chris Baker too.

For those against Gordon. He, with Luck throwing him the ball would be a pro bowler, and Gordon, TY, and Crief would be a nightmare for defenses.

I'm not against Gordon, but he didn't exactly tear it up when he got his second chance.  True, he didn't have a QB either.

As for your other picks - you have my vote!  Get in Ballards ear.

7 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I'm not against Gordon, but he didn't exactly tear it up when he got his second chance.  True, he didn't have a QB either.

As for your other picks - you have my vote!  Get in Ballards ear.

Gordon is still a top 3 WR IMO. Right there with AB and JJ. He led the league in receiving yards with a bad QB a couple years ago after missing like 3-4 games? Maybe just 2 not sure.. I just see it as something we could do to take a shot. If it doesn't work out, what do we lose? 2-3 million dollars? But if it does its on. But I just think of Nick Perry and Williams/Charlton/Takk coming off the edge, Bouye and Davis shutting down WR's as the pass rush and 2 shut down corners make each better. All of a sudden we have a good D. IMO if you have 2-3 beastly EDGE rushers, and 2 shut down corners you're gonna have at least. At the very least a solid D capable of helping make a big playoff run.

33 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Again. 3 big signings. We have to be the NYG of last year. And we have 12. Imagine what these guys, plus a home run draft would do for our team!!!!! I'd look at a guy like Chris Baker too.

Love the excitement and optimism but we must realize that just because we were to go out and sign these 3 big name guys we think would be game changers for us and nail 2-3 draft picks because they were a guy you or anybody really wanted and thought were best for the Colts means nothing. When they actually step on the field, their healthy which the Colts have an issue with, when they produce on the field as any of us would hope and the Colts show they can put the players in position to succeed and maximize thier strengths and develop them. Then we know we really have something. Untill this happens, it all lies in hopes and dreams because nothing is anywhere close to guarenteed as far any FA pickup or draft pick coming in and being the player any of us hope or expect, for all we know a few of the guys may very well come in and suffer season ending injuries. That actually wouldn't at all supprise me with our history. It's good and and fun to be all excited and have these high hopes and expectations but we also gotta be real too.

I Like the names I'm hearing on this topic except for AJ Bouye yeah he  had a pro-bowl caliber year but with one great year and as a 4th rounder I expect him to either stay with the Texans or he's gonna be looking for a MEGA-contract, which if he is he isn't worth the money especially since he has only had 1 great year and his stats are helped being on a great defense with a good pass rush.

If we were to go after a comerback (which I don't think we should this year) I would like us to go after someone like Prince Amukamara who isn't an amazing corner but is an above average starter, and won't be overpaid.

Aside from that I think Hightower is a must or if he stays with the patriots which is the only reason I think we shouldn't get him Kevin Minter who has shown improvement another interesting player to go after would be Christine Michael (if we don't want to draft an RB early) he showed some explosiveness running and would be a good place holder if we don't address the position in the draft.

6 hours ago, TYtheMan13 said:

Just want to know what everyone is thinking in this boring/build up time before free agency...list away

Stephon Gilmore or Dre Kirkpatrick - either can start next to Davis. Both young and shows good potential. Better than any other corner we had last year besides Davis. With this Colts can move Robinson to the slot to replace Butler.

Dont'a Hightower- instant upgrade, starter, good all around linebacker.

Dontari Poe or Brandon Williams- either will start over parry, huge upgrade.

Jabaal Sheard- can replace Walden, starter capability.

Micah Hyde-  versatile player, can play safety or corner when needed. Good all around player. 

I know we need pass rushers, i say fix that in the draft along with other needs such as running backs, one more young player on Dline, another inside linebacker to battle for spot next to whoever starts, safety, cornerback, and a TE to replace Doyle (who wants to test FA and might leave for a better contract)

Really solid group that would make our defense better, without a doubt.  

It's also the perfect Segway to reality. This is like a white paper on why you have to get your playmakers in the draft.

You just spent about $50M APY and didn't acquire a single playmaker.  Good players, starter level guys, to be sure, but no gamechangers.  The gamechangers all just got franchise tags.

It's the truth of free agency....pay good players like great ones until you can grow your own.

1 hour ago, ztboiler said:

Really solid group that would make our defense better, without a doubt.  

It's also the perfect Segway to reality. This is like a white paper on why you have to get your playmakers in the draft.

You just spent about $50M APY and didn't acquire a single playmaker.  Good players, starter level guys, to be sure, but no gamechangers.  The gamechangers all just got franchise tags.

It's the truth of free agency....pay good players like great ones until you can grow your own.

Yea you're right. You never know if a player is gonna pan out. But you can say the same thing about players you get from the draft!! It's really a big game of chance (FA's or players via draft)

5 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Man we are gonna have money to spend,

You're talking about at least $100m in signing bonuses for just your new signings, not to mention their salaries and the rest of the roster. You'd have the Colts way above $200m in cash in 2017.

It's very easy to spend someone else's money, especially when it's not your job on the line.

First off, that is strictly a WISHLIST. Nothing realistic about it. Lol that'd be nice though.

Jack Doyle 

Donta Hightower

Tony Jefferson

Darius Butler

Draft our corner in the first or second round! 

Draft Ryan Anderson. 

That is a great FA/Draft that is a little more realistic IMO.

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

I think something more realistic would be 

stephon gilmore

zach brown 

kevin minter

Zach Brown would be nice if we can't get Hightower. Gilmore wants too much money. He is good but he is asking for 13 million+. 

Most of the guys I'd really like have already been discussed ad nauseum, so I'll mention a guy that I don't think is getting enough love: Johnathan Hankins from the Giants. He's coming off a down year playing out of position because of the Giants signing Snacks Harrison last offseason, which should result in his price tag being a bit lower than Williams and Poe. He'd be a huge upgrade for us at NT, on the same level as what Poe or Williams would give us, and he's also younger than both of those guys. It absolutely blew my mind when I looked up his age and saw that he's actually about 3 weeks younger than David Parry.

6 hours ago, Superman said:

You're talking about at least $100m in signing bonuses for just your new signings, not to mention their salaries and the rest of the roster. You'd have the Colts way above $200m in cash in 2017.

It's very easy to spend someone else's money, especially when it's not your job on the line.

I don't understand how the cap works exactly. I just know we have a bunch to spend. So you don't think we could sign 2-3 big money deals? Say just Perry and Bouye at close to 5/60???

9 hours ago, MasterCrief said:

Most of the guys I'd really like have already been discussed ad nauseum, so I'll mention a guy that I don't think is getting enough love: Johnathan Hankins from the Giants. He's coming off a down year playing out of position because of the Giants signing Snacks Harrison last offseason, which should result in his price tag being a bit lower than Williams and Poe. He'd be a huge upgrade for us at NT, on the same level as what Poe or Williams would give us, and he's also younger than both of those guys. It absolutely blew my mind when I looked up his age and saw that he's actually about 3 weeks younger than David Parry.

I think Hankins would be a good target, Poe and Williams are going to be paid big time.  

With the money teams have to spend this Free Agency, the big names are going to all get way overpaid.

Im gonna say if we are talking FA acquisitions i would want in this order

#1 Perry

#2 Hightower 

#3 Hyde

#4 Claiborne 

#5 Sam Shields**

Here is my thinking Perry immediately adds a needed YOUTHFUL pass rush which we been lacking. Hightower will be the leader of the defensive interior next to pound cake. Hyde is that Swiss Army knife that we have been needing, he and butler together in my opinion can create for some interesting defensive packages as they both have the ability to play CB an Safety i can see them alternating at Safety and Slot causing confusion for the offense. I think we should take a fly on Claiborne outside of the injuries he put together a solid season and i think with a good DB coach he could shine here like Vontae. Lastly im gonna play devils advocate. I think Shields is worth taking a fly on. He would come cheap as would Claiborne. Shields was a very big part of the packers defense when he was in form. If he could return to that i think he would be a major steal and upgrade to this defense. I would let Adams Walk he showed to be a liability against the deep ball and lost more than a step. Walden while he had a great 11 sack season was certainly underwhelming but sufficient the prior seasons. He and Perry have similar playing styles i say go younger and draft a guy to start opposite perry. Retain Butler he will be of good service being able to play both Safety and CB. Doyle IMO make a fair offer but do not overpay him. There are other TE's on the market as well in the draft. Keep Jones slide him down into NT. I think this would be a huge upgrade for the organization.

9 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

I don't understand how the cap works exactly. I just know we have a bunch to spend. So you don't think we could sign 2-3 big money deals? Say just Perry and Bouye at close to 5/60???

Technically, we could make multiple big money deals work under the cap. The problem is big money deals come with big signing bonuses and big salaries, and that cash has to be paid out and will eventually hit the cap. Teams with sound cap strategy keep their cash in check so that they can continue to have cap space in the future. Not to mention that cash is real money that comes out of someone's bank account and affects the organization's P&L/cash flow. 

It really sucks when you pay big money and have a large cap commitment in the future for a player that doesn't work out. That's why teams with sound cap strategy are conservative in free agency and careful about who they give big money to. 

Last thing, I think Bouye gets Josh Norman money, so 5/60 won't work for him. I could be wrong, obviously.

Edit: One more last thing, don't make the mistake of seeing these big FAs go to teams with reasonable Year 1 cap hits and saying "SEE, the Colts could have signed all those guys with their cap space, and they didn't!" Don't lose sight of the cash, which is what dictates contract structure and future cap hits/flexibiity.

21 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Projected late round draft pick, pass rusher, has the last name of Mathis... I like this idea and support it, even though I know absolutely nothing about him besides those 3 things.