Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck Says: No One Can Replace Peyton Manning

oldunclemark

From the INDY STAR

Andrew Luck is viewed as the man who, sooner or later, will replace Peyton Manning asthe quarterback of the Indianapolis Colts.

The Stanford quarterback and presumptive first overall pick in the April draft -- an influential selection held by the Colts -- begs to differ.

"You don't ever replace someone like Peyton Manning,'' Luck said today in a one-on-one interview during an endorsement session set up by Gatorade at the JW Marriott. "He is the best.

"From what I understand, he means so much to this city. Not just for the football stuff, but what he's done off the field. Obviously he's a great guy from a great family. You don't ever replace guys like that.''

But that's likely the scenario as the Colts move from their 2-14 record this season into the future, especially considering Manning's uncertain status with the team.

Owner Jim Irsay has said the team will use the first overall pick in the draft on a quarterback, either Luck or Baylor's Robert Griffin III. The vast majority of draft analysts rate Luck the unquestionable best option.

Manning, meanwhile, still is rehabilitating after undergoing Sept. 8 neck surgery that forced him to miss the entire season. He is due a $28 million option bonus March 8. If the Colts choose not to pay it, Manning becomes an unrestricted free agent.

Luck said he would embrace being the first overall pick in the draft, pointing to his competitive nature.

Just heard an interview with him on Van Pelt show. Very mature guy.

He was pretty honest sounding and said he wants to play early ideally.

He was asked about the possibility of having to sit behind a "veteran" qb for a few years. He said he'd talk to his agent and dad about it but would make the best out of the situation and learn as much as he can.

Just dont get a sense he will force a trade but obviously no way to know for sure.

Glad to hear him being honest about his opinion on sitting. Honestly, if he were sitting on our bench for three years behind Manning, I would WANT to know he would force a trade. If he is willing to sit on the bench for 5 years and not play till he is 27, I would have to question his fire and desire to play the game.

It will be interesting to see what happens for this team over the next year

Luck would be correct. There is only one Peyton. Luck sounds like he is at peace with that and he can only be the best Andrew Luck that he can be. Hopefully that will be plenty good enough.

Yep, and that is precisely the right attitude for him to take.

Sounds good....

..ansd this is ceratinly what Irsay wants to hear....

There is a scenario where we keep Manning and sign Luck....

But Manning isnt ready and Luck starts anyway.

Certainly Luck will play all four exhibition games...to get started on his development

He really cant lose...

It really does boil down to Peyton's health and nothing more, to me. Salary Cap be darned..

Perfect scenario for the Colts, imho, is that Manning can come back and be his old self, and the Colts select Luck (if not trading the pick for a windfall). Manning then plays for two years,or maybe even three years, then Luck steps in for a smooth transition as a well groomed vet.

Bottom line, though, if Manning is not able to go this year, then he will most likely never play for the Colts again. If he cannot go, then obviously, Luck will start from the onset. Once he is in as a starter, I just don't see that Luck can be made to relinquish the starting position, say if Manning was not healthy for this upcoming season, but WAS 100% healthy for the year following. Ergo, if Manning cannot be ready to go for this year, then retirement / his release is the only viable option. For Manning, it's now or never with the Colts.

If I were running things, assuming Manning's cooperation, Peyton would be given until training camp to prove whether or not he is in good enough health to return. Financially, and again this would require his cooperation, I would mutually arrange a deferral of his March bonus, then in the new league year, work out a renegotiation contingent upon his being healthy enough to play. If he is not healthy enough, then clearly that means he needs to retire, even if it is for just one year while he continues to try to rehab further. To facilitate all of this, "off" of the Colts books, as a billionaire owner I would personally pay him a personal services bonus, from one man to another, as a thank you for his flexibility and cooperation in all of this, and allow him use of Colts facilities as he continues to try and rehab, and hire him as a special offensive assistant / advisor for practice and the sidelines.

Hence, if he regains his health before this next season begins, he is the Colts starter while Luck takes in the pro game on the sidelines. Different from years past, however, whenever a game is pretty much in the bag, I would give Manning a rest and let Luck gain some experience. If Manning is not ready, then he retires. If after another year of rehab he is able to get healthy, then I would welcome him back if Luck is a total bust, but if Luck is all he is cracked up to be, then Manning is granted his release with blessing to go play wherever else he wants, but knowing when he does hang it up for good, he is welcome back into Colts management.

Once Luck is in as the starter, there is no going back unless Luck is a total bust. Whether his insertion is this year or in 1 or 2 or 3 years down the road, that is in the hands of the HOFer and GOAT QB, whom I would be loyal and respectful toward. Setting the example of what lies ahead for Luck, if he is all he is cracked up to be.

It would be very nice to have both but I also just read an article which I posted in the draft section by SI that when Luck was asked if he would "Never" try to affect the outcome of which team drafts him, he stated that "Never is a strong word." All just speculation obviously but it wouldn't suprise me if Manning comes back healthy if Oliver trys to influence his sons decision to go to a different team, which makes sense though as he might not want to sit for years. Fortunately the Pacers and IU (even though IU has been horrendous of late) have been taking alot of my mind of these subjects.

Yeah if he comes to Indy he needs to grow that beard. I think the Colts should actually institute a policy that everyone thats part of the team has a beard.

"Uhh Peyton. Glad your healthy but if you want to be a colt next season....grow that beard out man. Thanks."

Heard an interview with him today on Serius and he said that Peyton Manning was his idol growing up as a kid. He first met Peyton when he was in middle school at the Manning Camp.

Doesnt that kinda blow your mind? All the way back then Manning had his possible successor in his camp in middle school. Crazy when you think about it.

Yeah if he comes to Indy he needs to grow that beard. I think the Colts should actually institute a policy that everyone thats part of the team has a beard.

"Uhh Peyton. Glad your healthy but if you want to be a colt next season....grow that beard out man. Thanks."

That is the ugliest beard known to man.

It would be very nice to have both but I also just read an article which I posted in the draft section by SI that when Luck was asked if he would "Never" try to affect the outcome of which team drafts him, he stated that "Never is a strong word." All just speculation obviously but it wouldn't suprise me if Manning comes back healthy if Oliver trys to influence his sons decision to go to a different team, which makes sense though as he might not want to sit for years. Fortunately the Pacers and IU (even though IU has been horrendous of late) have been taking alot of my mind of these subjects.

Um no. You are reading way too much into it. He simply is stating never is a strong word because every player taken that high DOES have leway and he is simply acknowledging that he too has this limited but avaliable power.

Luck is not "replacing" Peyton. Luck is just the next man to step into a legacy of great quarterbacks to wear the horse shoe. Unitas, Morrall, Manning...and now hopefully...Luck. Only time will tell what the future will hold. Will he live up to the standards set by Unitas and Manning or will he see a career like Jeff George.or Jim Harbaugh? I can't wait for April...

I'm glad Luck is being humble and not calling himself the best thing since sliced bread like most colts fans are calling him already. This attitude will drive him to become the best QB he can be. Kudos to you Mr. Luck

Most Colts fans are saying that? Really because what I hear is that people are excited to get a great college QB for the future.

From the INDY STAR

Andrew Luck is viewed as the man who, sooner or later, will replace Peyton Manning asthe quarterback of the Indianapolis Colts.

The Stanford quarterback and presumptive first overall pick in the April draft -- an influential selection held by the Colts -- begs to differ.

"You don't ever replace someone like Peyton Manning,'' Luck said today in a one-on-one interview during an endorsement session set up by Gatorade at the JW Marriott. "He is the best.

"From what I understand, he means so much to this city. Not just for the football stuff, but what he's done off the field. Obviously he's a great guy from a great family. You don't ever replace guys like that.''

But that's likely the scenario as the Colts move from their 2-14 record this season into the future, especially considering Manning's uncertain status with the team.

Owner Jim Irsay has said the team will use the first overall pick in the draft on a quarterback, either Luck or Baylor's Robert Griffin III. The vast majority of draft analysts rate Luck the unquestionable best option.

Manning, meanwhile, still is rehabilitating after undergoing Sept. 8 neck surgery that forced him to miss the entire season. He is due a $28 million option bonus March 8. If the Colts choose not to pay it, Manning becomes an unrestricted free agent.

Luck said he would embrace being the first overall pick in the draft, pointing to his competitive nature.

good for Luck...

that was nice of him

We could send Mathis and Angerer out to "persuade" "daddy luck" into not arguing the pick.

heck just point out the other teams that could draft him. If he comes here, he may have to wait but he would have the opportunity to continue a tradition of winning. Those other teams haven't had that for a longtime. Remember football players like challenges and this is a honorable challenge. Just like Rodgers and Young did. Except he wouldn't have to put up with drama from Peyton like Young and Rodgers did from Montana and Farve.

Hmm.. I really do think he'll be okay with sitting. He doesn't want to (who would?!) but it seems like he sees the benefits of it. Let's hope Daddy doesn't tell him not to.

If Daddy tells him not to, and he follows Daddy's advice, that will be 2 Stanford #1 QBs we will lose.

And we can't even blame him, because he will have done what our star QB's little brother has done.

Sad.

Andrew Luck would like to play right away. I think he's willing to do whatever need be. If he has to sit behind Manning, he'll sit. If Andrew gets the chance to start then he'll take it. He a great person dealing with all of this drama. Goodluck to Andrew and I hope Peyton gets better soon!