Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

GM Candidates, including Jimmy Raye (merge)

ColtsStrong86

1 minute ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Not sure the definition of cancerous here, but if it covers power struggle(s), then I think Irsay beleived it as he now says about Pagano-

“I really believe he will be the best coach he has ever been going into this year,” Irsay said Saturday.

“I really do.  He is fired up for 2017,”  Irsay said.

But make no mistake, Chuck is sitting on the hottest of hot seats this upcoming season.

http://www.news-sentinel.com/sports/Colts--Chuck-Pagano-already-on-the-hot-seat-for-2017

I wish Pagano would ask for help on how to coach, this is one of the reasons I wanted McDaniels, he knew he wasn't good enough and went to Dungy. Of course, maybe it's something as simple as getting rid of Grigson, getting a new GM that gets better FA's and draft picks, and allowing Pagano to start his own players. We'll see.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

when has Pagano worked for one of his buddies?  It sure hasn't been since he came to Indy.

I agree pagano is a smart guy, but I think your hatred of him is causing you to think he's also some grand manipulator and there's simply nothing to support that.  Pagano always had nothing but the nicest things to say about Grigson and with more and more news coming out, it doesn't appear that the 2 of them were ever buddy/buddy.  One thing we do know is that Pagano is fluent in coach speak and imo that's all his endorsement was.  For all we know, deep down Pagano could hate the idea of Raye picking his players, but to the media Pagano's never going to do anything other than say positive things about him.

8 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I don't think Pagano hates Raye picking his players. He would never say negative things about him regardless, but I don't think he would say positive things either. Of course, he did about Grigson too, and this is part of the reason I believe he is a manipulator, he is a constant liar. I wish either Grigson or Pagano would of got fired last year and we could of been on the right track to success. Instead, things were kept hush-hush and they went to a psychologist of all things and it wasted a year.

They are gong to the senior bowl together (plus other staff)  in a scouting activity for the teams future draft choices.  The draft is a whole offensive coach team and scout team cooperative effort. Choosing the 46 players out of 53 each Sunday, and who starts at which position belongs to the HC.

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Jimmy-Raye-III-Colts-Staff-Senior-Bowl-Bound/a31028c7-5596-4367-a17c-feccdbe6334f

2 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

They are gong to the senior bowl together (plus other staff)  in a scouting activity for the teams future draft choices.  The draft is a whole offensive coach team and scout team cooperative effort. Choosing the 46 players out of 53 each Sunday, and who starts at which position belongs to the HC.

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Jimmy-Raye-III-Colts-Staff-Senior-Bowl-Bound/a31028c7-5596-4367-a17c-feccdbe6334f

Haha, Jimmy Raye is really tiny, didn't realize that til now.

18 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I don't think Pagano hates Raye picking his players.

I don't think so either...but the point was we don't know for sure.  I don't even think it's likely, but it's possible and really was more a hypothetical than anything.

He would never say negative things about him regardless, but I don't think he would say positive things either.

rolling ball of butcher knives (trent obviously)

900 lb unmovable safe (chapman)

anything he ever said about Werner

I'm not sure why you would think that.  Pagano's entire MO is that he will speak positively about anyone within the organization when asked. 

Yeah, personally I'm thinking this GM search is more for show. He could be leaving some room for somebody to wow him, but I don't know. All these candidates would've been down at the Senior Bowl anyways so it wouldn't be hard to just interview these guys real quick, possibly ask them about what they think of the team.

With Raye's interview, saying this is the first time coaches are going down with them to the Senior Bowl, I'd just be really surprised if Irsay makes a major change.

2 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

I don't think Raye will be the hire.  If we want Raye's input and knowledge, why not just leave him where he is and add the best candidate available to work with him......  Raye isn't going anywhere this year, no need to promote him at this point......  

That's what I'm hoping happens. Jim is interviewing some great candidates. 

Wolf's background is crazy...... started learning about scouting at age 10 attending film sessions with his dad, HOF exec Ron Wolf...... filed his first official scouting report for the Falcons at age 14!  and at age 34, he has nearly 2 decades experience in NFL front offices/scouting departments.....

26 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

I don't think Raye will be the hire.  If we want Raye's input and knowledge, why not just leave him where he is and add the best candidate available to work with him......  Raye isn't going anywhere this year, no need to promote him at this point......  

I agree, if we're talking what I want to happen, I'd rather have Raye III stay in the position he is now. He's the head of the scouting department and he said he's like a connection between the GM and other departments.

To some that means he's ready for a promotion, which I don't disagree with, but for me I think of how hard it'll be to replace the role he already fills. I'd want the new GM to have somebody like Raye III to work with.

15 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Wolf's background is crazy...... started learning about scouting at age 10 attending film sessions with his dad, HOF exec Ron Wolf...... filed his first official scouting report for the Falcons at age 14!  and at age 34, he has nearly 2 decades experience in NFL front offices/scouting departments.....

hmmm could be a good pick up.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

So, are the Colts officially scheduling interviews yet?

Just requests I think, but I wouldn't be surprised if the interviews are kind of informal and happen quickly during the Senior Bowl gatherings.

Or at least I wouldn't be surprised if we hear about the interviews until after they take place.

Just now, Fisticuffs111 said:

Just requests I think, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the interviews are kind of informal and happen quickly during all the Senior Bowl gatherings.

Or at least I wouldn't be surprised if we hear about the interviews until after they take place.

I don't expect there will be any 'quick' or informal interviews, anywhere.  Possible light discussions to be followed up later in detail, but that's it. Jim is methodical, has a process, and will not deviate from it.  He is not on a timetable, either. He will do this, but in his own time, and not under duress from any outside forces.  And he will make what he feels is the best decision for this organization.  Whether others agree or not is a different story.

1 minute ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I see no way we promote Raye over these guys Paton and Ballard are coming from teams with legit Defenses and wolf has anot amazing background 

That's what I'm thinking. I legitimately liked Raye III as a candidate but he just doesn't really seem to compare to these guys.

One side of mouth:

4 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Pagano wants a guy he knows so the pressure is off of him this year.

Other side of mouth:

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

At this point, I don't think Chuck cares if he gets fired or not.

Which is it? On one hand, you're saying Pagano only wants Jimmy Raye because that will mean he gets to keep his job, and on the other hand, you're saying Chuck doesn't care whether he gets fired, he just wants to delay the inevitable. That makes zero sense. Irsay already said Pagano is the coach this year, and everything Pagano has said and done shows that he wants to continue being the coach. Everyone knows that Irsay wants the team to win, and everyone knows that no one is safe if they don't start winning right away.

You've basically made Pagano into a duplicitous, deceitful fraud who is Iago-ing his way around the Colts complex in an effort to keep his job as long as possible, doing everything he can -- besides coaching the team to the best of his ability -- to dupe Irsay into keeping him. And it's become pretty obvious that your viewpoint is entirely slanted by your dislike of Pagano, which explains why your argument is so dissonant. 

My thoughts regarding this is why promote Raye to GM since he already is under contract with this team now? The only way I see promoting Raye to GM making sense is if Peyton is for sure being brought in to eventually take over as GM. Right now that's uncertain.

Otherwise, if Irsay really wants change with a young, intelligent, cutting edge guy, he'll look into hiring one of those candidates out there in Paton, Wolf, Ballard, Caserio, etc.

7 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You thought there were 0 expectations before, just wait, you'll be begging for Grigson back if the Super friends take over. No discipline, no expectations, no one taking responsibility for wins and losses (except the Pagano speech of "we'll get em next time and we have to correct our mistakes" which he never does.) You thought it was a madhouse before, it could get a lot worse, and I hope Irsay doesn't make a huge mistake.

I think you're being sensational.

I said before Grigson got fired that I don't care about Pagano being comfortable, I want the entire staff to know that they are on trial, that they need to bring it and excel, that the standard is set very high, and if they don't meet it, they'll be gone, regardless of their contractual standing. I think axing Grigson a year after extending him qualifies as message sent, and I think everyone on the staff knows (and if they don't know, they still "know") that Irsay spoke to Gruden about being the head coach. No one on the Colts staff is comfortable, and no one will be, regardless of who gets the GM job, including the new GM.

As I said earlier, Pagano has been on the hot seat three years in a row now. In 2014, he got offered a meek, one year extension after reaching the AFCCG in his third year; he knew right then and there that Irsay wasn't impressed with "close, but still so far." In 2015, he almost got fired, and was prodded into revamping his entire staff. In 2016, Irsay went behind his back to interview a SB winning coach, then fired the GM. He is officially on notice, and everyone knows it. 

7 hours ago, #12. said:

Let me ask people this: if you were, say, a 49ers fan, and the 49ers were interviewing Raye, how would you view him?  You would judge him in the same we we are judging the Vikings or Seahawks candidates.  People are looking at Seattle's O-line, their D, the Vikings D and making a determination as to whether this person would be a good candidate or not.  I'm sure it wouldn't take more than 10 minutes to find a post on a 49ers site asking:  Why would we want this guy?  Look at Indy's mess of a roster.  He was part of the process there.  

We would be saying the same thing.

Do Grigson and Raye share a brain?  No, but if, as Irsay said, you want some fresh ideas and a truly fresh start, to me that is someone who hasn't been part of this process for the past 4 years.  

I've said several times that I do NOT hold the personnel mistakes of Seattle or Minnesota or any other franchise over the head of the deputies that are being considered for GM. 

If anyone knows where Grigson and Raye differed, it's the Colts. Irsay was in the draft war rooms, the scouts and assistant coaches witnessed how Grigson and Raye interacted. If Irsay thinks Raye is going to continue the Grigson era, he won't hire him.

And in Raye's case, he has a long resume that pre-dates the last 4 years with Indy. He has a reputation of his own, and as a personnel man, he's probably more molded by his work prior to coming to Indy than he is by his time with Grigson. It would make no sense to hold him accountable for Grigson's mistakes. That's why, despite the Colts having questionable drafts, Raye has been interviewed several times over the past couple years, because teams know that the GM and his right hand man don't always agree, and sometimes even have differing philosophies. That's partly the role that the right hand man plays, helping the GM to counter-balance his thinking. 

I'll also point out that this general angst over the in-house candidate is a repeat of 2012. Irsay strongly considered Tom Telesco, and everyone was up in arms. Then he hired the outsider and kept the in-house guy as a deputy. Irsay isn't going to be swayed by emotion or by ties to the previous staff. 

Jan 24, 2017, 6:47am PST

Colts GM interviews include a whole lot of 49ers candidates

The Indianapolis Colts have begun their interview process, and they are looking at a lot of candidates the San Francisco 49ers brought in. They are going to interview their own candidate Jimmy Raye III, and have also requested interviews with George Paton, Trent Kirchner, and Scott Fitterer. On Monday evening, word spread that they have also requested an interview with Green Bay Packers executive Eliot Wolf.

All of these candidates interviewed with the 49ers. Raye was not invited back for a second interview, and all but Paton removed their name from consideration

The next GM would have to spend at least part of one season with a coach he did not choose (Chuck Pagano), so that is a notable drawback to the job.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2017/1/24/14369676/colts-gm-interviews-rumors-eliot-wolf-49ers-candidates

5 minutes ago, bayone said:

Jan 24, 2017, 6:47am PST

Colts GM interviews include a whole lot of 49ers candidates

The Indianapolis Colts have begun their interview process, and they are looking at a lot of candidates the San Francisco 49ers brought in. They are going to interview their own candidate Jimmy Raye III, and have also requested interviews with George Paton, Trent Kirchner, and Scott Fitterer. On Monday evening, word spread that they have also requested an interview with Green Bay Packers executive Eliot Wolf.

All of these candidates interviewed with the 49ers. Raye was not invited back for a second interview, and all but Paton removed their name from consideration

The next GM would have to spend at least part of one season with a coach he did not choose (Chuck Pagano), so that is a notable drawback to the job.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2017/1/24/14369676/colts-gm-interviews-rumors-eliot-wolf-49ers-candidates

If such case, then it would be Raye, unless new GM is told, can pick own person in 18.