Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Biggest needs?

backshoulderfade

4 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Especially because the NT is supposed to eat up the center and guard allowing ILB's to clean up RB's in the running lanes.  And i expect our 3 technique DT to have more penetration than the NT and collapse the pocket, collecting some sacks in the process.

The thing is, Parry does not eat up blockers, ever. Teams commit 1 blocker to Parry most of the time and when they do double him on runs, they blast him off the point, then release one blocker and seal the ILB'er out, and on pass plays he's totally stifled when doubled. I want Parry at tackle (the position he's listed as on the roster), because he's crafty, has energy, and can move his butt up and down the LOS nicely, and can get off blocks decently, but he is NOT, NOT, NOT a NT. He's playing out of position. The only Colts player who's listed as NT is Kerr (as it should be). Kerr is the player who is consistently double teamed, because he commands it. He's dominant in one-on-one situations, and so, forces teams to double him, or pay. The best D-line group the Colts line up, is Kerr at NT, McGill at DT, & Anderson at DE. Ridgeway needs to be at DE, Parry at DT, and a pure (1st round) NT needs to be added to the rotation. Watch any game and you'll see the pressures & sacks comes when Kerr is at NT and McGill is on the field, not when Parry is at NT. Pressure starts on the inside, not outside.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I generally agree with the O.P's need list...

We pretty much all agree that we need to re-sign Walden and find starters at all of the other LB positions. I'm thinking a FA, maybe 2 and a couple of picks in the first 3 rounds. 

At CB, we just need to find a good outside guy to be the #2. The depth is there, already. If we re-sign Butler for secondary depth, we still have Robinson for the nickel and Melvin (who impressed me throughout the season). 

DT is still a need, although I think Parry is serviceable as part of a rotation. 

I think, if we can sign (in addition to our own priority FAs) a starting ILB (Brown), CB (Bouye/Kirkpatrick/Gilmore/Johnson) and NT (Williams/Short) in FA, we will be in a great position come draft time...

If we then draft another starting ILB (Foster/Cunningham) and an Edge guy (Barnett, Williams, Lawson, Landry) in the first 3 rounds, we will be looking much better on defense and should be excited about 2017. It's no small task, but it can be accomplished. 

That will leave 5 picks to add a RB and add some depth on D. 

1. RB, 2. OLB, 3. OLB, 4. ILB, 5. Trade(DT), 6. RG, 7. Trade K

Look at Dallas with their running game...I believe another year on the O-Line and some good coaching will have finally a decent running game....which translates to hopefully a playoff berth and beyond.  (Just wishful thinking)

On 1/7/2017 at 10:27 AM, backshoulderfade said:

I am sick of talking about the future of this team's leadership, so as a change of pace lets talk about needs.What positions do the Colts need to return to being a winning franchise in 2017?

As I see it, our top 5 is;

1. Edge Rusher

For the last 4 seasons this has been a top 3 need. With nearly all our edge players gone this offseason, they need to invest heavily here. I am happy with Akeem Ayers on the strong side. I feel we should address this need early in the draft. Garrett or Barnett are the dream but I don't want to set myself up for disappointment.

2. Linebacker

Tackling wasn't good enough for most of last season. They still struggle to cover tight ends and running backs. Our run defense has been pathetic.

3. Cornerback

Colts need more talent at corner. Most can't stay on the field. Vontae hasn't played like a #1 the past 2 seasons.

4. Running back

Gore is very old, he could fall off a cliff at any time. Our offense in 2014 was bolstered by Bradshaw's blocking and recieving in the backfield. A weapon here could make the O more potent than ever.

5. Nose tackle.

Can't. Stop. The. Run.

OL is a need too, but wasn't in my top 5 after heavy investment last season. Hoping they can develop some.

I still feel like edge rusher is a need above all else.

Should we take an O-lineman in the first round or pass rusher in the first?

On 1/7/2017 at 4:13 PM, Superman said:

That's probably true. The question to be considered is at what point does the law of diminishing returns kick in? How much better does a 'great' RB make your team, as opposed to a good RB? Is that value worth a first rounder? Todd Gurley is a great RB, I think, and he doesn't make the Rams better. Elliott is a great RB, but he has a great OL, a very productive and efficient QB, and other weapons on the field with him. 

Also worth considering is the shelf life of a RB, even a great one. How likely is it that your first round RB is worthy of his 5th year option, much less a second contract? Will he prove to be a long term building block?

I can't endorse drafting a RB in the first round. Even if he's great right away, the impact on the team and the long term prospects make it not worth it.

There is no way I would draft a running back in the first round not even second. We are a passing team anyway. 

6 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

I generally agree with the O.P's need list...

We pretty much all agree that we need to re-sign Walden and find starters at all of the other LB positions. I'm thinking a FA, maybe 2 and a couple of picks in the first 3 rounds. 

At CB, we just need to find a good outside guy to be the #2. The depth is there, already. If we re-sign Butler for secondary depth, we still have Robinson for the nickel and Melvin (who impressed me throughout the season). 

DT is still a need, although I think Parry is serviceable as part of a rotation. 

I think, if we can sign (in addition to our own priority FAs) a starting ILB (Brown), CB (Bouye/Kirkpatrick/Gilmore/Johnson) and NT (Williams/Short) in FA, we will be in a great position come draft time...

If we then draft another starting ILB (Foster/Cunningham) and an Edge guy (Barnett, Williams, Lawson, Landry) in the first 3 rounds, we will be looking much better on defense and should be excited about 2017. It's no small task, but it can be accomplished. 

That will leave 5 picks to add a RB and add some depth on D. 

I best I've read as far as needs go. 

On 1/7/2017 at 11:06 AM, bravo4460 said:

So many needs for this team.

Top 5 would be:

1.) OLB (pass rusher)

2.) ILB (balanced)

3.) CB (The only "priority" FA singing the Colts had was Robinson and that didn't work out at all. Also Butler wants to play safety.)

4.) DL (need more playmakers/ depth isn't terrible.)

5.) RB ( If Cook or Fournette are available in 1st when the Colts are picking they are must drafts.)

I will be flabbergasted if we pick a running back in the first round. I don't care who it is.  We need a defensive player in the first round. 

I wouldn't mind us getting a NT in a trade.  I think it's one of the most important positions in a 3-4 scheme and we don't have one.  At least not a great one. Cleveland will be switching to a 4-3 with Williams so big Danny Shelton should be on the block.  6'-2"- 335 lbs.  He's a former No. 1 pick and has been in the league only 3yrs.  I hope and think we should make the phone call. 

On 1/8/2017 at 2:46 AM, chrisfarley said:

Here is our LB picks back to '05 in the draft.  I wonder how much of our attention to LB's in the past drafts is related to free agent acquisitions / UFAs, already rostered LB's, etc.... and how much is predicated on lack of position influence on a particular defensive coordinator's scheme or lack of attention by GM and/or other coaches, etc.

2016 4th Morrison

7th Bates

2015 6th Herrera
2014 6th Jackson
2013 1st Werner (classified as OLB), don't know if that should count here
2012 7th Fugger
2011 ---------
2010 2nd Angerer
         7th Conner
2009 ---------
2008 3rd Wheeler
2007 4th Session
2006 3rd Keiaho 
2005 5th Hagler

Man, I had high hopes for some of those names

3 minutes ago, backshoulderfade said:

I think a pass rusher would be the biggest net gain for our team. What do you think?

Yeah. I definitely think a pass rusher would be the way to go. But you can never have too many first rounders on the o-line. So I'd say take the best player available between an o-lineman and a pass rusher in the first round.   

I am more optimistic about this draft, because I feel one of the studs at position of need should be available.

I know the majority have almost no chance of being there, butI am hoping one of the following are available at 14/15;

1. Myles Garrett

2. Jonathan Allen

3. Derek Barnett

4. Ruben Foster

5. Tim Williams

6. Dalvin Cook

7. Marlon Humphrey

8. Malik McDowell

9. Takkarist McKinley

10. Soloman Thomas

No particular order there, and though Garrett and Barnett aren't nessessarily "scheme fits" I feel there are talented enough to build the entire defense around. Although I am desperate for someone to rush the passer in the first, Ruben Foster is becoming more and more of an attractive proposition to me. Can tackle, plays sideline to sideline and isn't lost in space.

11 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I wouldn't mind us getting a NT in a trade.  I think it's one of the most important positions in a 3-4 scheme and we don't have one.  At least not a great one. Cleveland will be switching to a 4-3 with Williams so big Danny Shelton should be on the block.  6'-2"- 335 lbs.  He's a former No. 1 pick and has been in the league only 3yrs.  I hope and think we should make the phone call. 

Love it! Exactly the type of thinking and move that's a difference maker!

The thing about pressure on the nose is it keeps guards from helping tackles. A good inside spin move from an edge rusher is useless if it leads him to a helping guard. Pressure develops when inside players can't be handled one-on-one. The helping guard must defend where the interior rusher is advancing. Forcing double teams helps create seems and gaps other one-on-one rushers can exploit, as well as blitz pathways. Everything starts in the middle of the D-Line, then plays is way out to the edges. I have confidence that Walden, Ayers and E Jackson could deliver more numbers if the NT position had the correct personnel. I also believe well know, great pass rushers, would struggle to have the same impact on our D-Line.

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 1:38 PM, richard pallo said:

Trades are difficult and Danny Shelton has been less than impressive in Cleveland. I`m with you that the Colts need a legit NT, which D. Parry is clearly not. Good rotational guy, but is small for NT and doesn`t command double teams. I doubt the Chiefs can sign both E. Berry and D. Poe with their upcoming cap situation, so if I`m whoever the Colts GM is, I`d attempt to sign D. Poe as the lone FA Tier 1 prize. He would do wonders for the front seven and the Colts could maybe add a Tier 2 FA such, ILB Brown from Buffalo or Marcus Cooper DB from Arizona. The Colts could then focus on Edge players in the draft.

To me its:

1.-OLB

2.- ILB (really close to OLB IMO)

3./ RB. We all love gore but this offense would look so elite if safeties had to worry about us breaking a long rune. Gore has great patience and vision, but he has 0 explosivness so safeties/defenses are not really worried  about the rushing not only because we suck at it, but because they are simply not afraid of explosive plays. 

4./ CB 

5.- NT

6.- OG...we have no depth, i like haeg and whatever but mewhort will be coming back from injury and even if he is healthy by start of season, we have 0 depth in case of future injuries.

7.- S

8 OT

On 1/7/2017 at 1:33 PM, NewColtsFan said:

This won't be popular....

But.....

I'm not sure how much talent there is at outside linebacker.       I much of the top EDGE talent are 4-3 DE's,  some of whom will be asked to convert to 3-4 OLB's.      And not all of them will make that conversion.

It's a very good year for EDGE,  but pure 3-4 OLB's....     I have serious doubts.

I will take your word on that, I'm not able to follow college ball that closely (other than Michigan (Go Blue)).

Based on that, I hope the Colts get a chance to make a play for Melvin Ingram.  I don't know what SD's plans are for him but if he hits the FA.  He would help in the run game but he's also a tough pass rusher (10.5 sacks in 2015 and 8 in 2016) but also tied for 6th in the NFL with 29 QB hurries (according to SportingCharts.com) and he's still relatively young (28 years old when the 2017 season starts).

7 hours ago, Zalazar Elijahh said:

lmao no one else feels this way ?? Really just me? Okay lol

I definitely don't agree with anything you stated in that post.

But just FYI, he has a long time girlfriend. Or did... 

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/enterprise-Luck160907/indianapolis-colts-qb-andrew-luck-determined-prove-worth

He wore the glove because he had a cut on his hand, and didn't want it to start bleeding during the game and affect his grip. Regardless, if he likes the glove and feels comfortable with it, he should wear it. He wouldn't be the first QB to wear a glove on his throwing hand, and it doesn't make him any less tough or manly.

I don't care about his haircut or facial hair. 

On 1/7/2017 at 0:11 PM, YourNextGM said:

Imo,  Id see if we can move up or pick a franchise LT. Move Costanzo to RT or trade or cut him to save money if possible. I think were an OLine from at least being a dominant offense. If u can at least dominate 1 side of the ball,  thats an improvement. 

I believe u can generate pressure by becoming more blitz happy. 

Yeah, this is why if Kevin Zeigler hits the market, I want us to go aggressively after him. Adding a good inside o-line piece and drafting a talented rookie somewhere in the draft could possibly be enough to give our offence a very noticeable boost. 

Also, unrelated, I think safety is an underrated need as well. We are probably losing Adams and Green is not ready to step in. There may be a big time safety prospect available in the 1st or 2nd. I know we need pass rush, but if we can strongly adress CB and S this off-season them it will help the pass rush improve and hopefully the new OLB additions, no matter the round, will make an impact.

Right now I like Zeitler and Poe as FA additions. (This is assuming all the top pass rushers get re-signed, out bid, or franchised. If one of Jones, Ingram, or Perry is available, I'd love that too. )

9 hours ago, Superman said:

I definitely don't agree with anything you stated in that post.

But just FYI, he has a long time girlfriend. Or did... 

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/enterprise-Luck160907/indianapolis-colts-qb-andrew-luck-determined-prove-worth

He wore the glove because he had a cut on his hand, and didn't want it to start bleeding during the game and affect his grip. Regardless, if he likes the glove and feels comfortable with it, he should wear it. He wouldn't be the first QB to wear a glove on his throwing hand, and it doesn't make him any less tough or manly.

I don't care about his haircut or facial hair. 

thanks superman you just saved the day once again..

If there is a sure fire can't miss pass rusher. Go up and get him but don't lose our 2nd. We have depth at all spots we need starters. Make sure the pass rusher is not a 1 trick pony(Maggitt Bull Rush). Cut down the time there qb has improves defense tremendously. 

OL- Zeitler would be nice.

CB- maybe use our 2nd and some others to jump back into 1st round and grab 1 there.

RB- Top 3 set and serviceable, maybe late round pick to compete with JF.

We don't need depth we got it. Need starters so quantity picks not needed, quality.

Remember we prolly getting high compensatory picks for Freeman and Fleener.

On 1/7/2017 at 10:27 AM, backshoulderfade said:

I am sick of talking about the future of this team's leadership, so as a change of pace lets talk about needs.What positions do the Colts need to return to being a winning franchise in 2017?

As I see it, our top 5 is;

1. Edge Rusher

For the last 4 seasons this has been a top 3 need. With nearly all our edge players gone this offseason, they need to invest heavily here. I am happy with Akeem Ayers on the strong side. I feel we should address this need early in the draft. Garrett or Barnett are the dream but I don't want to set myself up for disappointment.

2. Linebacker

Tackling wasn't good enough for most of last season. They still struggle to cover tight ends and running backs. Our run defense has been pathetic.

3. Cornerback

Colts need more talent at corner. Most can't stay on the field. Vontae hasn't played like a #1 the past 2 seasons.

4. Running back

Gore is very old, he could fall off a cliff at any time. Our offense in 2014 was bolstered by Bradshaw's blocking and recieving in the backfield. A weapon here could make the O more potent than ever.

5. Nose tackle.

Can't. Stop. The. Run.

OL is a need too, but wasn't in my top 5 after heavy investment last season. Hoping they can develop some.

I still feel like edge rusher is a need above all else.

1. Coach

2. GM

*1 and 2 are interchangeable. LOL