Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New Candidates For Dc

BProland85

Too bad Keith Butler decided on staying with the Steelers. His loss. I guess he'd rather stay with an aging team rather than a upstarting team with a vision of greatness.

Now on to other potential candidates...

-Butch Davis (Has ties with Pagano)

-Someone from San Fran (They had a dominant defense so getting their DL or LBs coach would help)

-Clarence Brooks (From Baltimore was their DL coach I believe)

Anyone have others that come to mind and make sense?

Too bad Keith Butler decided on staying with the Steelers. His loss. I guess he'd rather stay with an aging team rather than a upstarting team with a vision of greatness.

Now on to other potential candidates...

-Butch Davis (Has ties with Pagano)

-Someone from San Fran (They had a dominant defense so getting their DL or LBs coach would help)

-Clarence Brooks (From Baltimore was their DL coach I believe)

Anyone have others that come to mind and make sense?

I love these posts that somehow suggest the guy made a tragic mistake by not agreeing to come with the Colts. The Steelers are not too shabby themselves and have an aging D-coordinator. Maybe Butler has been told he is next in line when LeBeau steps down.

I love these posts that somehow suggest the guy made a tragic mistake by not agreeing to come with the Colts. The Steelers are not too shabby themselves and have an aging D-coordinator. Maybe Butler has been told he is next in line when LeBeau steps down.

Yeah that has already been established that he is taking over at DC when LeBeua retires. Problem is he's been waiting awhile to take over and could still wait another 5 years. He could have had the position now if he had agreed here.

Yep, this would have been my thought as well. Stay here and next year Lebeau retires and you get the reins or go on over to the Colts and take over a defense that nobody has any idea which form it will be taking on. Oh yeah, BTW, you best player in Freeney has a cap hit of 19 mil this season and will be cut or hopefully restructured but will he fit into the 3-4 mold if they go that way and your other best end is a FA. Outside of that, take a look at their roster and then look at the Steelers roster, who has the upside? We will await your answer in the next 5 minutes sir.

How about Winston Moss from the Packers?

How about Roy Anderson, defensive assistant from the Ravens? http://www.baltimore...y_Anderson.aspx - looks like he also has secondary coaching experience background. I like that he assisted coach Pagano with the secondary big time this year when the Ravens' secondary was one of the best in the league. He comes from the same school as Antoine Bethea, I wonder if he coached Bethea.

The Texans OC just agreed to take the SAME position with Oakland....interesting....a "lateral" move for the same position.

Maybe Dick LeBeau wants to come here? LOL!!

I can't wait till all our coaches, the draft, and the preseason starts so we can observe this new look Colts. :)

Greg Knapp didn't make a lateral move. He was the QB coach in Houston, now he's the OC in Oakland. Rick Dennison is the OC in Houston, and has been for a few years.

I would LOVE for John Chavis to get an interview. He's LSU's DC and is widely regarded as one of the best defensive coaches in the nation.

Also, Pepper Johnson from the Patriots would be another good one. Not a great year from the Pats this year but they are in the Super Bowl!!

I'm guessing the Colts were just a bargining chip he threw on the table. In a few days we will hear Butler is the LB coach and Asst Defensive Coordinator with nice pay raise to go with the title.

I wonder what people will do when the DC is announced for the Colts. Because according to many, Butler was the perfect guy for the DC position. Anyone the Colts hire now will be... less than perfect.

Personally, I think the Colts need to get some stability at the coordinator positions. They hired Arians who has been an OC for a while, they need to hire a DC who has been a DC. That is why I like Butch Davis. Perhaps give him an Asst HC title as well.

I'm sure there are a lot of other good candidates out there as well. But Butch has a history with Pagano (and we've seen Pagano is interested in people with whom he has a history). He's coached successful defenses in the past, was known for his game planning skills and ability to anticipate the offenses reactions to the things that happen on the field and he will be able to mentor Pagano on how to be a HC.

I would like to see a proven DC get the job. Position coaches are kind of a joke. They dont design any schemes or come up with any game plans. They just implement what the DC had decided to do. Usually their sucess is based on how talented the players they are coaching ar. Which I understand that is how it is for any team, but position coaches dont have to make up a game plan.

Butch Davis or John Chavis undoing 4-3 guys, under 3-4 Pagano, means what kind of a defense?

Hopefully a good one. :)

I'm not convinced Pagano is a traditional 3/4 guy. What he did with the Baltimore D was very good this year and while they ran from a base 3/4 set, often times he would use Johnson or Suggs in a downlineman role. That combined with moving Ngata to a DE to the strong side gave the D a front 4 similar to a Vikings style 4/3... meaning two run stuffing DTs, a weakside DE that is good against the run and pass and then a smart aggressive LB/DE that was able to use his football knowledge to figure out the best way to attack the O on that play.

He also did something that I think is the mark of any great coordinator... he designed his defenses to attack the offenses strengths rather than their weaknesses and it's very effective. Butch Davis used to do similar things as well.

Hopefully a good one. :)

I'm not convinced Pagano is a traditional 3/4 guy. What he did with the Baltimore D was very good this year and while they ran from a base 3/4 set, often times he would use Johnson or Suggs in a downlineman role. That combined with moving Ngata to a DE to the strong side gave the D a front 4 similar to a Vikings style 4/3... meaning two run stuffing DTs, a weakside DE that is good against the run and pass and then a smart aggressive LB/DE that was able to use his football knowledge to figure out the best way to attack the O on that play.

He also did something that I think is the mark of any great coordinator... he designed his defenses to attack the offenses strengths rather than their weaknesses and it's very effective. Butch Davis used to do similar things as well.

I am very curious what is going to happen with the defense, not only which coordinator, but personnel changes or approaches, colts have a small defense, which would need a nt no matter 4-3 or 3-4. But I think a lot of old personnel have to go...

I am very curious what is going to happen with the defense, not only which coordinator, but personnel changes or approaches, colts have a small defense, which would need a nt no matter 4-3 or 3-4. But I think a lot of old personnel have to go...

I agree, the Colts need to add a NT or two. But a lot of the personnel is not small and can be worked into a 3-4.

For example both Moala and Nevis would make excellent DE in a 3/4 type, Nevis could play the role that Ngata did this year. Angerer and Conner (only because he really seemed to improve his coverage as the year went on) could make the transition to ILB in a 3-4. Wheeler/Mathis and Freeney would be good OLB. Both Rucker and KT have a similar skill set to the Ravens Webb, who really flourished under Pagano's system. And Bethea is a safety in any defense.

So a NT (a lot of people want Poe but I like Alameda Ta'amu out of Washington better, mostly because I have seen Ala play, I have never seen Poe) and a safety opposite Bethea would be the immediate needs on D, IMO.

Greg Knapp didn't make a lateral move. He was the QB coach in Houston, now he's the OC in Oakland. Rick Dennison is the OC in Houston, and has been for a few years.

So you are saying the article on NFL.com is wrong? http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82678765/article/texans-knapp-accepts-offer-to-become-raiders-oc?module=HP11_headline_stack

It says he is the offensive coordinator for the Texans...I don't always keep un on "personell" of other teams...just took the article for what it said :)

Honestly think that he will bring in someone who is not a veteran DC, but someone he can work with to develop the D in his own style. See him being a HC who is more hands on with the D.

Just a few names to consider outside of those mentioned (would really like to see them pursue Butch Davis- who is talking to the Bucs about their DC spot)

Mark Carrier DL coach Jets (previously coached in Bal)

Richard Smith LB coach Broncos

Jim Washburn DL coach Eagles

Kevin Coyle DB coach Bengals

Gary Gibbs LB coach Chiefs

For a few names a little further out

Tom Bradley, DC from Penn State

Pat Narduzzi DC Michigan State

So you are saying the article on NFL.com is wrong? http://www.nfl.com/n..._headline_stack

It says he is the offensive coordinator for the Texans...I don't always keep un on "personell" of other teams...just took the article for what it said :)

Yes, I am.

And it's understandable. The NFL is a nice sized league, and there are far too many coaches to track them all. I knew because Knapp was the OC in Oakland before, and I remember talk of him moving up Al Davis's coaching depth chart, so I was surprised when he fell out. Except he wasn't that good, so it wasn't THAT surprising.

Butch Davis or John Chavis undoing 4-3 guys, under 3-4 Pagano, means what kind of a defense?

A 4-3 defense! A flexible one that can change and adapt. You could do a 4-3 base look one play, then go to a 3-man line with exotic bltizes the next. LSU used 3 down lineman quite a bit. I don't want us to go to a normal 3-4 though, because we don't have the type of D-lineman or ILB's to play it. 2 gap 3-4 D-lineman have to be stout and have to hold back the O-lineman. Usually 1 ILB is bigger and can shed blocks and stuff the run. I don't think it would be a good idea for us to switch. The Texan's were able to do it, but Wade Philips still uses 4-3 1-gap principles in his 3-4 defense which is more like a 5-2.

I wouldn't really call Pagano a 3-4 coach. That's what he did with the Ravens, but what else is he going to do? Switch them to a 4-3 because he likes it better? No, because that wouldn't fit the players there. He was only a defensive coordinator for 1 year, and he has coached under several 4-3 coaches as well.

A 4-3 defense! A flexible one that can change and adapt. You could do a 4-3 base look one play, then go to a 3-man line with exotic bltizes the next. LSU used 3 down lineman quite a bit. I don't want us to go to a normal 3-4 though, because we don't have the type of D-lineman or ILB's to play it. 2 gap 3-4 D-lineman have to be stout and have to hold back the O-lineman. Usually 1 ILB is bigger and can shed blocks and stuff the run. I don't think it would be a good idea for us to switch. The Texan's were able to do it, but Wade Philips still uses 4-3 1-gap principles in his 3-4 defense which is more like a 5-2.

I wouldn't really call Pagano a 3-4 coach. That's what he did with the Ravens, but what else is he going to do? Switch them to a 4-3 because he likes it better? No, because that wouldn't fit the players there. He was only a defensive coordinator for 1 year, and he has coached under several 4-3 coaches as well.

I like the colts in a 4-3 and 3-4. Draft Thompson to be the dt in the 3-4 and the nt in the 4-3, get Kendal Reyes to be 3-4 de and free agent nt like Franklin. Mathis can play slb and freeney can be the pass rushing wlb or rush lb. then in the 4-3 go freeney, Nevis, Thompson, Mathis.. That's sick.