Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ingram or Jones

13 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Almost but not quite. He probably meant Chandler Jones and Melvin Ingram. In this case I'd rather have Jones. 

Yeah. I feel like Ingram is not as much of a pure pash rusher as Jones, but Ingram may be the better tackler. We need pass rush, so I would go with Jones as well. 

32 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Almost but not quite. He probably meant Chandler Jones and Melvin Ingram. In this case I'd rather have Jones. 

Yeah. I feel like Ingram is not as much of a pure pash rusher as Jones, but Ingram may be the better tackler. We need pass rush, so I would go with Jones as well. 

Chandler Jones has had some off field issues like his brother Art.  That makes me a little nervous and the Patriots did move on from him but that's not out of the ordinary for them.  From a pure pass rush you would probably lean Jones but Ingram is really good and might be a better fit with our defense.  Playing on the west coast he doesn't get much publicity as a former Patriot who we have seen more of.  If the two hit FA I think I would prefer Ingram. 

I haven't watched any Browns games but how has Jones looked since arriving to the Browns after the trade? Was Jones more of a product of the Pats system or is he looking equally as good as a Brown? I wonder if having his brother here has any affect on him signing here as a brother duo (although I would say Art will and should be cut) ?

I have no idea who Ingram is at all.

2 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I haven't watched any Browns games but how has Jones looked since arriving to the Browns after the trade? Was Jones more of a product of the Pats system or is he looking equally as good as a Brown? I wonder if having his brother here has any affect on him signing here as a brother duo (although I would say Art will and should be cut) ?

Jones plays for the Cardinals Ingram for the Chargers,

5 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

You're confusing C Jones with J Collins ...I think.

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

who are we talking about, dw?

Sorry .. it was Melvin Ingram and Chandler Jones. Neither AZ or SD is flush with cap room.. AZ only showing 4 mill for 2017. But I'm not sure what happens if Fitz or Carson Palmer don't return...

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Jones plays for the Cardinals Ingram for the Chargers,

Ahhh, I was thinking of Jamie Collins.  Thanks I don't see the Cards giving this guy up after giving Cooper and a second round for him (this after I googled him further lol)

Looking at the Melvin kid, I would assume we have a better shot at obtaining him in FA than with Jones. So what do you all think about a Jamie Collins in this mix of FA, would he be a game changing addition or was he more of the pats system product?

2 hours ago, dw49 said:

If both hit the FA market , one of them will be a Colt.

My preference would be Chandler Jones.

But I have no idea why you'd be so confident that one of them will be a Colt.

We have not shown any interest under this administration that they're willing to spend huge money on a free agent.     

They're willing to buy medium priced guys and inexpensive guys,  but not expensive guys.

So, I think any expensive guy is a real long shot.      

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

We have not shown any interest under this administration that they're willing to spend huge money on a free agent.     

They're willing to buy medium priced guys and inexpensive guys,  but not expensive guys.

I believe the Art Jones and Gosler Cherilus contracts were considered huge at the time for their positions.  I don't think we would be afraid to spend especially since Andrew is locked up.  I am actually expecting us to pay for an ER. 

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think just for the reason you mention , the Colts will take a shot with a better type FA. The above IMO has been pretty ineffective. 

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

I believe the Art Jones and Gosler Cherilus contracts were considered huge at the time for their positions.  I don't think we would be afraid to spend especially since Andrew is locked up.  I am actually expecting us to pay for an ER. 

Cherlius no doubt fits the bill. 

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Art Jones,  no.    His 6.5 Mill per year is a mid-priced salary.    But you're right about Cherilus,  the Colts made him the highest paid right tackle at the time.

BUT.....

Even doing that his deal was something like 6.9 mill per year.      And overall,   that's a middle class salary.

Andre Johnson got 7 Mill per. 

But I don't believe we've signed any free agent under Grigson for more than that.

He doesn't believe in that.      And given that most expensive free agents DO NOT work out long-term,  I'm OK with that.       Most expensive free agents prove to be money badly invested.

We'll see what Grigson does come Mid-March.....

1 hour ago, dw49 said:

Cherlius no doubt fits the bill. 

Cheriflus fits the bill only on a basis that we made him the highest paid right tackle at the time.

But,  his salary was roughly $6.9 Mill per year and overall that's a Mid-Price salary.     

I think the highest paid free agent was Andre Johnson at $7 Mill per.      And that's still not an expensive salary.

4 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

Ingram is a better fit at 3-4 olb. I like him actually, he along with Walden would give a solid to the run D. 

But Jones is the better pass rusher.

I think we should look in the draft for a pass rusher anyway. I would like to see us sign an ILB or a CB like Gilmore or Johnson (if we could).

Hasn't Ingram like greatly underachieved in San Diego?

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Cheriflus fits the bill only on a basis that we made him the highest paid right tackle at the time.

But,  his salary was roughly $6.9 Mill per year and overall that's a Mid-Price salary.     

I think the highest paid free agent was Andre Johnson at $7 Mill per.      And that's still not an expensive salary.

He signed in 2013 when the cap was a bit lower. I would consider it an expensive singing considering he played RT. But I get your point and no doubt Grigson has stayed away from really big FA deals.

What about Perry? People are really undervaluing him. He's starting to tap into his potential and might just be the best of the 3 on their next contracts. But yeah. One of those 3 need to be Colts after the NLY starts. What does Perry have 10 sacks? That's splitting snaps, and he's missed some games. He needs to be our top target IMO. I think he could give us 10-12 sacks every year for the next 4-5 years. Maybe even a 15 sack year or 2. Then we need that freak on the other side of him. We need Tim Williams. Tim Williams, Nick Perry, Erik Walden, and one of Daeshon Hall or Devonte Fields would be solid assuming Hall/Fields is there in the 3rd. There's a lot of good EDGE rushers in this class. We can get a stud in the 1st AND the 3rd if we see talent, draft talent lol.

Jones is slightly better than Ingram at rushing the passer.

Ingram is slightly better than Jones in coverage

Ingram is flat out better than Jones at stopping the run.

I'd take Ingram over Jones.  Either one would be a significant upgrade over what we have now.  But, what I really want is both wearing the horse shoe.