Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Do I Do With My Peyton/wayne/superbowl Auto's?

Portage Coltfans

If Peyton goes on to be a Jet or Viking, then what do I do with my Memorabilia? A pet peev is seeing a person wearing a jersey of an ex-player. Being near chicago, I still see losers wearing Nomar Garciapparra Cub jerseys. That is lame.

Nobody wants an auto up in their house of a players old team. My friends who are Cardinals fans dumped their Pujols stuff. Packer fans hate their Favre stuff. Brewer fans tossed their Prince jerseys too. dont even mention LeBron...

I can't wear my Manning Jersey anymore. (not if he's on another team) thats just hillbilly.

I'm going to have to take down all my wayne/manning/freeney stuff because they will all be playing for other teams. Do I have any other options? Dont even mention leaving it up!

I know one thing, I won't buy anything that says "Luck" on it until he gets us to the playoffs.

If you want to throw away your memories, then send them to:

It’s easy to give through the St.Vincent Foundation to help the patients at Peyton Manning Children’s Hospital at St.Vincent. You may make a credit card gift by visiting the website, mail your contribution

Peyton Manning Children’s Hospital at St.Vincent

8402 Harcourt Road, Suite 210,

Indianapolis, IN 46260

or contact the Foundation office at (317) 338-2338 with questions or for assistance with a naming opportunity or planned gift.

I'm sure they can find someone that can be appreciative of them.

In this time of free agency most players are not going to stay on a team. If you are worried about them not being with the team their entire career then you probably should never buy any memorabilia because more then likely they will not be with the team.

I still have a signed Faulk jersey up in my office. I have an autographed football from Jim Harbaugh up in my office. When Manning is done I will frame and put up his jersey in my office as well.

When it comes to Manning it would be just silly to get rid of his stuff. Even if he is cut he will come back and retire as a Colt.

If Peyton goes on to be a Jet or Viking, then what do I do with my Memorabilia? A pet peev is seeing a person wearing a jersey of an ex-player. Being near chicago, I still see losers wearing Nomar Garciapparra Cub jerseys. That is lame.

Nobody wants an auto up in their house of a players old team. My friends who are Cardinals fans dumped their Pujols stuff. Packer fans hate their Favre stuff. Brewer fans tossed their Prince jerseys too. dont even mention LeBron...

I can't wear my Manning Jersey anymore. (not if he's on another team) thats just hillbilly.

I'm going to have to take down all my wayne/manning/freeney stuff because they will all be playing for other teams. Do I have any other options? Dont even mention leaving it up!

I know one thing, I won't buy anything that says "Luck" on it until he gets us to the playoffs.

Why not? They have throwback jerseys of old players. Who cares if they are still on the team or not? Seems kinda silly to just dump your teams history because a player moves on or retires.

But I typically retire a jersey after a year or so, I then frame them and put them in my man cave. I do that for my Purdue, Colts, and Penguins gear.

I havent worn a jersey in 2 maybe 3 years now. Once I started getting older than the guys I was wearing it just kinda lost its coolness. But I've got plenty of polos, hoodies, t-shirts etc, hats etc.

Now if your talking memorbillia, IE signed products, game used etc, you 100% keep those, regardless of alligence. You think in 15 years people are going to remember LT in a Jets jersey? No, but his SD stuff will still sell hot. But I also am a bit 'in the scene' when it comes to memorbillia. I've got my fair share.

haha, so you are still wearing your Vanderjagt jersey?

and if Manning is a Jet and playing the Colts, you'll still wear your Manning Jersey?

I know this is a little different than all those players I mentioned earlier ie: Pujols/LeBron but it still hurts me too much to wear that jersey this season.

After he retires and goes into the HOF then of course it would be nice to have his stuff up again on my walls, but not while he's a Jet/Viking.

Of course, if he retires before the season starts then all of this doesn't matter.

This is Peyton Manning we are talking about. No shame in wearing a Future HOF qb's jersey. especially Mannings. I will wear mine no matter what. He will always be a Colt.

I see your point, but even if he's playing against the colts in the AFC championship game?

I'll put my Manning stuff away, and bust them out again after he retires (hopefully as a colt)

haha, so you are still wearing your Vanderjagt jersey?

and if Manning is a Jet and playing the Colts, you'll still wear your Manning Jersey?

I know this is a little different than all those players I mentioned earlier ie: Pujols/LeBron but it still hurts me too much to wear that jersey this season.

After he retires and goes into the HOF then of course it would be nice to have his stuff up again on my walls, but not while he's a Jet/Viking.

Of course, if he retires before the season starts then all of this doesn't matter.

Then put the stuff in a box and save it. I'm not sure why this is an issue. And yes, if Peyton goes to ANY other team I will immediately start rooting for them in all circumstances other than when they play the Colts. You don't have to buy a jersey to do that, but if someone wanted to that's their choice. Who cares. Similarly if someone continues to wear a Peyton jersey to Colts games even if he isn't here, who cares? Perhaps they don't want to spend another gazillion dollars on a new jersey, they just want to wear something blue to the game and that's what they have. Maybe there is nobody on the current team who is inspiring enough to warrant his own jersey. Maybe a 22 year old living with Mom and Dad can find the disposable income to get an entirely new wardrobe for trivial reasons, most people can't.

If Peyton leaves to join another team, it's business. It doesn't make him "the enemy". Treating him as such isn't loyalty to your team, it's just bizarre. I've never in my life understood why people might boo a player who returns with another club unless there is a darn good reason. I'm a Mets fan, and Reyes just left. He didn't want to, the Mets just couldn't afford him. What possible reason would I have for being angry with him for making a rational financial decision. It's his life - and this may be his only chance to get a large contract. I will root for him even when he is playing the Mets, while rooting for the Mets to win the game. On the other hand James was so intentionally disrespectful to his club - his childhood rooting interest too boot - that I don't blame Cavs fans for hating him. He should be scared to come to town. Details matter, and Peyton will ALWAYS be a Colt regardless of what laundry he is wearing at the moment.

There is nothing wrong with Peyton Manning Colts memorabilia, even if he does leave us. No matter what happens in the future, the man is synonymous with Indianapolis Colts and will go down as a legend, even if he does spend a year or two in New York.

Then put the stuff in a box and save it. I'm not sure why this is an issue. And yes, if Peyton goes to ANY other team I will immediately start rooting for them in all circumstances other than when they play the Colts. You don't have to buy a jersey to do that, but if someone wanted to that's their choice. Who cares. Similarly if someone continues to wear a Peyton jersey to Colts games even if he isn't here, who cares? Perhaps they don't want to spend another gazillion dollars on a new jersey, they just want to wear something blue to the game and that's what they have. Maybe there is nobody on the current team who is inspiring enough to warrant his own jersey. Maybe a 22 year old living with Mom and Dad can find the disposable income to get an entirely new wardrobe for trivial reasons, most people can't.

If Peyton leaves to join another team, it's business. It doesn't make him "the enemy". Treating him as such isn't loyalty to your team, it's just bizarre. I've never in my life understood why people might boo a player who returns with another club unless there is a darn good reason. I'm a Mets fan, and Reyes just left. He didn't want to, the Mets just couldn't afford him. What possible reason would I have for being angry with him for making a rational financial decision. It's his life - and this may be his only chance to get a large contract. I will root for him even when he is playing the Mets, while rooting for the Mets to win the game. On the other hand James was so intentionally disrespectful to his club - his childhood rooting interest too boot - that I don't blame Cavs fans for hating him. He should be scared to come to town. Details matter, and Peyton will ALWAYS be a Colt regardless of what laundry he is wearing at the moment.

I think free agency is what is wrong with the NBA and MLB. The NFL is able to limit this more than the other two big sports and I think that it positive aspect over a negative one.

Many fans, like myself, like continuity of players. I"m glad for you that it doesn't bother you.

I think free agency is what is wrong with the NBA and MLB. The NFL is able to limit this more than the other two big sports and I think that it positive aspect over a negative one.

Many fans, like myself, like continuity of players. I"m glad for you that it doesn't bother you.

I NEVER said that it didn't bother me, I just said that turning against a player for either circumstances outside his control, or because he made a rational and respectful financial decision is illogical and frankly inmature. This isn't war, and after following a players every move for years I'm not going to suddenly start treating him as if he were a spouse who cheated on me. When they leave, it's sad, and you deal with it. But they are still people that I respect and appreciate, and often like as individuals. For us it's just a game, and there will be other players right behind them. For them, it's called life. I have no more right to tell them who to work for then they have to tell me.

Similarly free agency isn't "what's wrong with sports". You are completely ignoring history and the purpose of the rule changes. I wrote a term paper at college about the origins of baseball free agency for a Labor Economics class 30 years ago - when the topic was a recent and profound change instead of a routine fact of life. Even star players used to have to get menial off-season jobs just to survive if you go back far enough. I'll take the current system, thanks, and try not to resent people for putting their own financial interests ahead of a fans childish desire to annoint them heros and bow down to their image on their bedroom wall. You just deal with it - preferably without burning $1,000 worth of memorabilia in a childish rage. I've got boxes with articles, pictures, cards, and clothing representing players who retired decades ago. Some of them even went to other teams - horror of horrors. The items aren't about them, they are about my memories. You know what bothers me? Entertaining the idea of turning against Peyton Manning after all that he has meant to us. A jersey is just a piece of clothing, it IS actually possible to be a fan of a human being even if he decides to get changed.

You need to buy a raincoat.You sound like a typical fair weather fan.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

I still wear my Edge and Faulk Jerseys afterall they did play here and that is when I rooted for them. I don't have money to be throwing away memorabilia all hillbilly like, as you say.

It makes no sense to throw it away because the player isn't on the team anymore.

I use the Faulk jersey in particular when I am heading to new hostile territory as a sort of badge of honor. I didn't just start rooting for this team when Peyton got here.

You could always donate them. Or send them my way...honestly, donating would be the better idea, but I wouldn't be upset...

If you want to throw away your memories, then send them to:

It’s easy to give through the St.Vincent Foundation to help the patients at Peyton Manning Children’s Hospital at St.Vincent. You may make a credit card gift by visiting the website, mail your contribution

Peyton Manning Children’s Hospital at St.Vincent

8402 Harcourt Road, Suite 210,

Indianapolis, IN 46260

or contact the Foundation office at (317) 338-2338 with questions or for assistance with a naming opportunity or planned gift.

I'm sure they can find someone that can be appreciative of them.

Best answer on here...

I NEVER said that it didn't bother me, I just said that turning against a player for either circumstances outside his control, or because he made a rational and respectful financial decision is illogical and frankly inmature. This isn't war, and after following a players every move for years I'm not going to suddenly start treating him as if he were a spouse who cheated on me. When they leave, it's sad, and you deal with it. But they are still people that I respect and appreciate, and often like as individuals. For us it's just a game, and there will be other players right behind them. For them, it's called life. I have no more right to tell them who to work for then they have to tell me.

Similarly free agency isn't "what's wrong with sports". You are completely ignoring history and the purpose of the rule changes. I wrote a term paper at college about the origins of baseball free agency for a Labor Economics class 30 years ago - when the topic was a recent and profound change instead of a routine fact of life. Even star players used to have to get menial off-season jobs just to survive if you go back far enough. I'll take the current system, thanks, and try not to resent people for putting their own financial interests ahead of a fans childish desire to annoint them heros and bow down to their image on their bedroom wall. You just deal with it - preferably without burning $1,000 worth of memorabilia in a childish rage. I've got boxes with articles, pictures, cards, and clothing representing players who retired decades ago. Some of them even went to other teams - horror of horrors. The items aren't about them, they are about my memories. You know what bothers me? Entertaining the idea of turning against Peyton Manning after all that he has meant to us. A jersey is just a piece of clothing, it IS actually possible to be a fan of a human being even if he decides to get changed.

It's hard to compare this Manning situation to any other superstar's depature from a team. I'm not angry or upset with Manning at all about this, that was not my intention. I love peyton. However, if peyton is QB for the Jets against the Colts in the AFC championship game, then you can't root for both. You can be happy for Peyton if he wins on a personal level I agree. But there has to be a winner and a loser. So when Reyes hits a bases clearing triple agains the Mets this season, you can yell, "YES" and then... " I mean NOOO."

Also, I'm not sure it is fair to say that it is childish to resent a player for leaving a team for financial gain. I know people love to use the word "business" all the time, but what separates sports from other industries is the emotional attachment and the feelings you get from a team/player. I feel as though every fan in Cleveland and in St. Louis has the right be resentful without being called childish. Now, if I was resentful against Peyton for playing for the Jets then I would agree with you about being childish.

As for Free agency. The pro's are

1. teams can become more competative in a year

2. players can make their $$$

Cons:

1. Players want to play in big markets only - (more nba/mlb) which makes unbalanced league

2. Fan's lose their favorite players almost yearly

this is a short list, but I think there are benefits of FA. However, I think if it gets out of hand then FA could ruin a league. Like it has the NBA.

It's hard to compare this Manning situation to any other superstar's depature from a team. I'm not angry or upset with Manning at all about this, that was not my intention. I love peyton. However, if peyton is QB for the Jets against the Colts in the AFC championship game, then you can't root for both. You can be happy for Peyton if he wins on a personal level I

agree. But there has to be a winner and a loser. So when Reyes hits a

bases clearing triple agains the Mets this season, you can yell, "YES" and

then... " I mean NOOO."

Also, I'm not sure it is fair to say that it is childish to resent a player for leaving a team for financial gain. I know people love to use the word "business" all the time, but what separates sports from other industries is the emotional attachment and the feelings you get from a team/player. I feel as though every fan in Cleveland and in St. Louis has the right be resentful without being called childish. Now, if I was resentful against Peyton for playing for the Jets then I would agree with you about being childish.

Cons:

1. Players want to play in big markets only - (more nba/mlb) which makes unbalanced league

this is a short list, but I think there are benefits of FA. However, I think if it gets out of hand then FA could ruin a league. Like it has the NBA.

Well I wouldn't say FA has ruined the NBA when they got their highest rating of all time lol, but yeah players come and go. I say keep the stuff. In 40 years people will remember all of Peyton's great years with the Colts. I mean who the heck remembers Joe Montana on the Chiefs, or Michael Jordan on the Wizards!?

Best answer on here...

I agree if I was ever planning on throwing it away, which should be added to the list of do not mention.

Basically I was trying to state I believe in "jersey wearing 101 rules" which can be applied to memoribilia. Basically, rules state do not wear player jerseys who are now playing for another team. Retired/staple players are acceptable and encouraged. I agree manning being an exception to this rule though, and I actually wasn't following the rules with my original comment. (oops)

I heard about these rules on the radio, ESPN. Thats actually how this Thread became an Idea. You don't have to believe in these rules, but many do. Google it if you don't believe me. Below is an example.

Jersey Wearing 101: 8 Essential Rules to Abide By

Jefferson on 05 10, 2010

After being in Green Bay at Lambeau Field during week 1 of the NFL season and being in Chicago at Soldier Field for week 2, one thing that caught my eye was the inappropriate jersey wearing that was rampant among fans. Many people think they know the rules of jersey wearing but they’re often not spoken of and many times people neglect these rules. I have made it my personal mission to give the rules of NFL jersey wearing. Please note these same rules do not apply to any other sport, although some of these rules are universal.

1. Jersey must be an active player, a hall-of-fame player or a player who was a staple in that teams recent or general history.

To me, this is the most important but yet most broken rule of jersey wearing. If I have to see another Cedric Benson or Anthony Thomas jersey at Soldier Field, or a Samkon Gado jersey at Lambeau, I think I will puke.

This rule seems easy to obey, yet, often times team’s actions of trading a player penalize a fan who bought that players jersey. You can only wear a traded played jersey if that player was a staple for that team for years and was productive in his time. A good example of this is a Randy Moss Vikings jersey.

It's hard to compare this Manning situation to any other superstar's depature from a team. I'm not angry or upset with Manning at all about this, that was not my intention. I love peyton. However, if peyton is QB for the Jets against the Colts in the AFC championship game, then you can't root for both. You can be happy for Peyton if he wins on a personal level I agree. But there has to be a winner and a loser. So when Reyes hits a bases clearing triple agains the Mets this season, you can yell, "YES" and then... " I mean NOOO."

Cons:

In your Peyton scenario I'd theoretically want him to have a brilliant game while the Colts won anyway, but I really don't know. If that was his last chance at the SB (and the Colts were just taking baby steps with a young crew) it might be more important to me for Manning to win. I probably wouldn't know how I "really" feel until the final whistle - if I could even watch. The prospect of such a matchup is litterally sickening - thus my desire that he remain a Colt.

Baseball is a little different because there are so many games, the Mets are horrendous and so I'm angry at the owners for turning their financial problems into my problems that I'd probably be more interested in the thought of the owners cringing in regret for letting him go than about win #70 for a last place team. I doubt that I would care much either way. When Tom Seaver pitched against the Mets I rooted for Seaver without a shred of regret. He was a childhood idol, and I'm still furious that :censored: M. Donald Grant traded him. A black day in my youth. And I'd have different rules for different players, Many Colts have left (Sanders, Peterson, Thornton, James, etc) whose teams I'd want steamrolled by the Colts without a moments hesitation or shred of remorse.

As stated in an earlier post, I agree with you about James (and I'm sure that there are others who are just as bad). He didn't get more money by going to Miami, he just wanted to go play on the beach with his buddies. And he humilated his hometown fans on national TV in the process. It's not just Cavs fans that hate the man (and the Heat). No honor, pride, courage, etc. That's very different from someone being offered tens of millions of dollars extra and lured from his small market team. For one thing, the players association would probably sue him if he didn't take the better deal.

Lastly, let me rephrase your FA argument. The problem with those sports isn't free agency, it's that there isn't sufficient revenue sharing. The NFL system is perfect, the other's are ridiculous. Kansas City and Pittsburgh might as well have minor league baseball teams for all their chances to be competetive, but in football they can be as competative as anyone. And I doubt that the owners in football are making any less money than the other sports - they just made a bold move a few decades back that has proved to be utterly brilliant. Unfortunately Steinbrenner (and others) were never willing to take the risk that the Mara's (and others) did, and all of us suffer for it. I'm a lifelong fan of big market teams in the other three sports, and I'd be ALL for the system changing immediately - even if it reduced my teams probability of winning.

I agree if I was ever planning on throwing it away, which should be added to the list of do not mention.

Basically I was trying to state I believe in "jersey wearing 101 rules" which can be applied to memoribilia. Basically, rules state do not wear player jerseys who are now playing for another team. Retired/staple players are acceptable and encouraged. I agree manning being an exception to this rule though, and I actually wasn't following the rules with my original comment. (oops)

I heard about these rules on the radio, ESPN. Thats actually how this Thread became an Idea. You don't have to believe in these rules, but many do. Google it if you don't believe me. Below is an example.

Jefferson on 05 10, 2010

After being in Green Bay at Lambeau Field during week 1 of the NFL season and being in Chicago at Soldier Field for week 2, one thing that caught my eye was the inappropriate jersey wearing that was rampant among fans. Many people think they know the rules of jersey wearing but they’re often not spoken of and many times people neglect these rules. I have made it my personal mission to give the rules of NFL jersey wearing. Please note these same rules do not apply to any other sport, although some of these rules are universal.

1. Jersey must be an active player, a hall-of-fame player or a player who was a staple in that teams recent or general history.

To me, this is the most important but yet most broken rule of jersey wearing. If I have to see another Cedric Benson or Anthony Thomas jersey at Soldier Field, or a Samkon Gado jersey at Lambeau, I think I will puke.

This rule seems easy to obey, yet, often times team’s actions of trading a player penalize a fan who bought that players jersey. You can only wear a traded played jersey if that player was a staple for that team for years and was productive in his time. A good example of this is a Randy Moss Vikings jersey.

So there is an arbitrary rule about me wearing what I want???

This is like the whole white and labor day deal.

Where what you want, don't look to ESPN(who has a store that sells jerseys so telling people to buy more jerses directly benefts them) for rules on hat to wear.

Thats poo-poo.

I guess I should throw my Unitas autos in the garbage, huh?

NOT!

I make my own rules!

Its one thing to wear an old T.O. Eagles jersey you got at the Goodwill store (thats hillbilly), but we're talkin manning here.

I find it hard to believe someone who was EVER a fan of manning and/or the Colts would talk like this. hmmmmm.

Give it to me I'll gladly keep it. I have a Lebron James auto plastered on my wall when he was still in Clevland, fantastic peice of memorabilia.

I still also have this....................... I would never get rid of it. If it is a pet peeve of yours just give it to me, I'll take great care of it, that I guarantee you.

getattachmentaspxlcz.jpg

Jefferson on 05 10, 2010

Wait wait wait... people bought Samkon Gado jerseys??

In your Peyton scenario I'd theoretically want him to have a brilliant game while the Colts won anyway, but I really don't know. If that was his last chance at the SB (and the Colts were just taking baby steps with a young crew) it might be more important to me for Manning to win. I probably wouldn't know how I "really" feel until the final whistle - if I could even watch. The prospect of such a matchup is litterally sickening - thus my desire that he remain a Colt.

Baseball is a little different because there are so many games, the Mets are horrendous and so I'm angry at the owners for turning their financial problems into my problems that I'd probably be more interested in the thought of the owners cringing in regret for letting him go than about win #70 for a last place team. I doubt that I would care much either way. When Tom Seaver pitched against the Mets I rooted for Seaver without a shred of regret. He was a childhood idol, and I'm still furious that :censored: M. Donald Grant traded him. A black day in my youth. And I'd have different rules for different players, Many Colts have left (Sanders, Peterson, Thornton, James, etc) whose teams I'd want steamrolled by the Colts without a moments hesitation or shred of remorse.

As stated in an earlier post, I agree with you about James (and I'm sure that there are others who are just as bad). He didn't get more money by going to Miami, he just wanted to go play on the beach with his buddies. And he humilated his hometown fans on national TV in the process. It's not just Cavs fans that hate the man (and the Heat). No honor, pride, courage, etc. That's very different from someone being offered tens of millions of dollars extra and lured from his small market team. For one thing, the players association would probably sue him if he didn't take the better deal.

Lastly, let me rephrase your FA argument. The problem with those sports isn't free agency, it's that there isn't sufficient revenue sharing. The NFL system is perfect, the other's are ridiculous. Kansas City and Pittsburgh might as well have minor league baseball teams for all their chances to be competetive, but in football they can be as competative as anyone. And I doubt that the owners in football are making any less money than the other sports - they just made a bold move a few decades back that has proved to be utterly brilliant. Unfortunately Steinbrenner (and others) were never willing to take the risk that the Mara's (and others) did, and all of us suffer for it. I'm a lifelong fan of big market teams in the other three sports, and I'd be ALL for the system changing immediately - even if it reduced my teams probability of winning.

Doesn't a win feel even sweeter if it comes against the best. I know we beat the Bears to win the superbowl, but the real superbowl was the Pats AFC champ game. Wow that was a great game! We beat a lot of good teams to get there. I guess I get scared that the NFL will become like those other sports.

Although, I'm not sure being a FA in football and switching teams isn't as easy compared to the other sports. I wish we had a stat comparing how FA do in each sport after they switch systems/teams. I bet football is a lot less.

Give it to me I'll gladly keep it. I have a Lebron James auto plastered on my wall when he was still in Clevland, fantastic peice of memorabilia.

I still also have this....................... I would never get rid of it. If it is a pet peeve of yours just give it to me, I'll take great care of it, that I guarantee you.

getattachmentaspxlcz.jpg

nice! I wasn't really wanting to get rid of my stuff. I was more stating i'm a believe in the rules of jersey wearing and I was wanting to compare Peyton leaving to Pujols/Favre and the impact it had on the fans.