Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Joe Philbin on the Offensive Line so far

TKnight24

Well thank you Mr. Obvious(Philbin) I believe that is the coaches job is to teach them, develop drills to help them and work on getting better at things like handling twists.

I still think though the line is heading in the right direction.  There are times they looking really good.  There are times they look really bad as well but those times are getting fewer and fewer every week.

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Well thank you Mr. Obvious(Philbin) I believe that is the coaches job is to teach them, develop drills to help them and work on getting better at things like handling twists.

I still think though the line is heading in the right direction.  There are times they looking really good.  There are times they look really bad as well but those times are getting fewer and fewer every week.

that and I knew there would be growing pains with half the line being either rookies or 2nd year players. They just need time to gel and I think they're doing that.

11 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

The Colts O-Line still lead the sacks allowed category and they didn't even play last week. 

I always like how you cut thru the chatter [meaning Pagano & Grigs mindless dribble during press conferences] & just tell the truth....

Tennessee is a very dangerous squad. RB DeMarco Murray is playing well right now & LB Brian Orakpo can be thorn in Luck's side too. 

Keep it up Lolly! You don't drown people in words like I have a tendency to do, but what you say is always precise, profound, & accurate. You remind of a singer who cuts through a guitar riff on vocals on stage driving the essential point home for all to see & hear. 

Yeah, I know. Performing on stage has no correlation to football. I just mean that I value musicians for the truth they always tell when they speak that's all. 

3 hours ago, BOTT said:

I wouldn't lay all the blame at Philbin's feet.  Proper play calling would help these guys a lot.

Agreed, not enough screens. Apparently, not enough underneath options either, unless Luck hates that sort of thing. If you look at the Pats, you'll see they run a lot of crossing routes. They always seem to have someone underneath.

Hopefully they can stay healthy long enough to continue to evolve. I think I see some progress out there and they don't have that many excellent pass rush teams in their last 7 games. If they can get some confidence going I believe it would really help them.  It is still potential but there is progress.

The line has been a work in progress thanks in large part to all the young guys playing.  The good news is that they do seem to be making progress.  While still having times they struggle the play as a whole has been getting better, particularly on the ground.  The pass protection still lags but overall I have been encouraged with what I've seen this year on the whole outside of Castonzo (who played well in the Packers game).  I think as these young guys develop over the next year or two our oline problems will be a thing of the past.

11 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

The line has been a work in progress thanks in large part to all the young guys playing.  The good news is that they do seem to be making progress.  While still having times they struggle the play as a whole has been getting better, particularly on the ground.  The pass protection still lags but overall I have been encouraged with what I've seen this year on the whole outside of Castonzo (who played well in the Packers game).  I think as these young guys develop over the next year or two our oline problems will be a thing of the past.

Been calling out Castonzo for years. Hope we get a LT this coming draft or in 2 years. 

11 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

If Philbin can't take one of the worst o-lines in football and turn them into the best o-line in football in a little more than half of a season, then what was the point of hiring him?

I smell sarcasm.

On 2016-11-18 at 11:33 AM, Steamboat_Shaun said:

If Philbin can't take one of the worst o-lines in football and turn them into the best o-line in football in a little more than half of a season, then what was the point of hiring him?

My concern is that I haven't seen much improvement.  As of now, they're on pace to give up 59 sacks (worst in the league) and 121 QB hits (3rd worst in the league behind Cleveland and Tampa).  The tackles are giving up consistent pressure on the edges, and Castonzo hasn't really been the same guy since he got his second contract.  To my eye, their technique looks bad.  The linemen are bending at the waist and leaning.  Half the time, it looks like they're on rollerskates.  Despite adding some good talent through the draft, you still have an offensive line that is among the league's worst at pass blocking.  For a guy whose specialty is supposed to be the offensive line, being ranked among the league's worst pass blocking units isn't promising, even if it's less than a full year into his tenure.  I don't expect our OL to be competing with Dallas and Oakland, but we aren't even middle of the pack.  We're among the absolute worst.  I understand there's a lot that goes into it (eg. playcalling, injuries, etc.), but if Philbin is a supposed OL guru, there is no excuse for being ranked so low.

Kind of feel bad for Philbin. Didn't walk into an ideal situation. Had super high expectations. But no one expected Castonzo would fall off when they finally get good center play. Then he was handed Denzel Good at RG and an overrated Reitz who overachieved a season ago. Plus a 3rd round rookie who's so raw because of his system in college, it's almost as if he never played OT. Haeg has been a bright spot though with his flexibility.