Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pagano Doesn't See An Issue With Converting Colts Pass Rushers

ConBro

Hey all, as he mentioned in his introductory press conference, Coach Pagano sees some talent on our defense that could be converted into more of a Ravens -style defense. PFT has a write-up on it; I think we could finally utilize Jerry Highes as a pass rush OLB, if we do not re-sign Mathis.

DIscuss...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/27/pagano-doesnt-see-an-issue-with-converting-colts-pass-rushers/

Hey all, as he mentioned in his introductory press conference, Coach Pagano sees some talent on our defense that could be converted into more of a Ravens -style defense. PFT has a write-up on it; I think we could finally utilize Jerry Highes as a pass rush OLB, if we do not re-sign Mathis.

DIscuss...

http://profootballta...s-pass-rushers/

Time will tell... I hope he is right

DIscuss...

http://profootballta...s-pass-rushers/

I think we will resign Mathis as a OLB. Freeney is the one I could see being traded since he is costing too much. Plus Mathis fits the OLB spot better than Freeney since he is 270 pounds.

I think we will resign Mathis as a OLB. Freeney is the one I could see being traded since he is costing too much. Plus Mathis fits the OLB spot better than Freeney since he is 270 pounds.

Mario Williams is 280+. Weight isnt really the issue, its more a matter of speed and ahtleticism in space. Freeney certainly has both but can he adapt to rushing from the standup position?

i actually think this could be an advantage for us because now we can have our best run DEs in brayton and anderson and our best pass rushers in freeney and mathis all on the field at the same time and on passing down we can switch back to the 4-3 with freeney and mathis at end and wheeler and hughes on the outside. we can do alot of things

Mathis reminds me of DeMarcus Ware. He could be LETHAL as a pass rush LB.... I'd love to see him get a pick or two off of Gabbert as well ;)

Meanwhile what should have been the big story coming out of yesterday is finally coming to light.

This means we are probably going to a 3-4 and the Colts probably want to try to keep Freeney and Mathis.

With that said he is saying this while still getting to know the team. Once he gets to know them that could change things.

Pagano plans to hybrid, at least for now. And whoever is suggesting to trade/release Freeney: are you serious? In fact, there has been talks about the FO re-working/extending Freeney's deal.....

Reworking his contract is fine to most but he practically disappeared last year. Is he still the same player?

Me and BlackHawk discussed the unfortunate mention of Mario during the press conf. Just bc a 25yr old 6-6 280lb stud can do it, doesn't mean our guys can.

I'm hoping for the best, but im not going to hold my breath.

Agreed. I've got a good feeling they can do it though. Freeney will likely need to trim down a hair in my opinion. Mathis will likely not have to change a thing.

The Texans defense went from worst to first in many aspects. Imagine if Pagano and the DC could do the same here!

That is an extremely rare (and unlikely) scenario. That virtually never happens in the NFL. Most expected the Texans to struggle for a season, maybe two, while they adjusted to the new scheme and personnel. How they pulled it off is beyond me, but they did play 6 games against terrible teams from the AFC South.

Pagano plans to hybrid, at least for now. And whoever is suggesting to trade/release Freeney: are you serious? In fact, there has been talks about the FO re-working/extending Freeney's deal.....

I can't believe there are people suggesting we get rid of Manning, but strange things get said by people who don't know anything.

Freeney presents the largest cap problem (imho) on this team going forward. There's no way he's worth what he's about to get paid, but we should try to keep him somehow. If the "Moneyball" theory were to apply, we should seek to obtain 3-4 guys on the defense, for equal total cap space, who can give us the productivity of 1 Dwight Freeney. I'm not for that, but if we did part with him, that would be our best bet. It's less likely you can directly replace someone great and get the same results (see: how Luck will fail in comparison to Manning), so you try to pile the strengths of several players to fill the gaps while simultaneously adding depth.

I would rather just keep Dwight and hope he restructures...

That is an extremely rare (and unlikely) scenario. That virtually never happens in the NFL. Most expected the Texans to struggle for a season, maybe two, while they adjusted to the new scheme and personnel. How they pulled it off is beyond me, but they did play 6 games against terrible teams from the AFC South.

I recently read Pat Kirwin's "Take Your Eyes Off The Ball" (great book, by the way) and he said that if a team is really diligent and hard working, they can make a full transition in 2 years. Pat Kirwin really knows his stuff. So seeing the Texans go from worst to first in a shortened offseason is really incredible

you must be watching something different than me. freeney affects the play every snap even though he gets held

I agree. People usually associate effective DE play with sack totals, or TFLs. Freeney is still fast, explosive, and in there on every play. It got tougher as the defense would get stuck out there all game following 40 second 3-and-outs by the offense.

Reworking his contract is fine to most but he practically disappeared last year. Is he still the same player?

Being double teamed and chipped at a very high rate slows down even the best pass rushers. I will agree his play is starting to show slight decline, his ability to attract double teams and even triple teams is a sign he's still a very large threat.

I hope you guys are right but Freeney is used to being chipped, held, and double teamed. What has changed? The offense couldnt stay on the field which wore out the D but Mathis seemed to get decent production. Maybe Freeney needs less playing time and used more efficiently but it will cost him alot.

Being double teamed and chipped at a very high rate slows down even the best pass rushers. I will agree his play is starting to show slight decline, his ability to attract double teams and even triple teams is a sign he's still a very large threat.

I Agree I still think Mathis had the better year this year, is younger, & pursues plays all over the place. Mathis didn't give up this year & I thought was the Defensive MVP. Sack totals were down for both Mathis & Freeney becuase our offense was pitafull, couldn't score & teams ran alot againest us becuase they didn't need to keep up with Peyton.

I hope you guys are right but Freeney is used to being chipped, held, and double teamed. What has changed? The offense couldnt stay on the field which wore out the D but Mathis seemed to get decent production. Maybe Freeney needs less playing time and used more efficiently but it will cost him alot.

It may have "seemed" that way, but I don't know if we can make an analysis based on what it seemed like. Especially given how bad we played for most of the season. I mean, it was probably hard to be motivated for a whole lot when we went from fighting hard in close games, to getting blown out in the first two quarters, to easily being the worst team in football. Mathis, on the other hand, was in a contract year. That's usually when we see the best production from guys on defense.

Who knows, really?

Without their main QB and star WR for most of the season, making it to the play offs and beating a decent Bengals team before just being edged out by a very good Ravens team.

To undermine the success of the Texans this year is silly, they have been very good indeed.

I agree. People usually associate effective DE play with sack totals, or TFLs. Freeney is still fast, explosive, and in there on every play. It got tougher as the defense would get stuck out there all game following 40 second 3-and-outs by the offense.

Freeney and Mathis are a tag team....You cant say one outplayed the other...certainly not last year

they work together...

..buyt..if we're going to a 3-4..I canmt see resigning Mathis to change his position when we already have Jerry Hughes.

Freeney and Mathis are a tag team....You cant say one outplayed the other...certainly not last year

they work together...

..buyt..if we're going to a 3-4..I canmt see resigning Mathis to change his position when we already have Jerry Hughes.

That's usually the case and I know what your saying. I just didn't see "Frathis" out there. Im just gonna drop it for now, I like Freeney and I don't want to come off as some arm chair GM that knows best for the cap. There's enough uncertainty rightnow.

P.s. Hughes isn't really a OLB if that's what your getting at. Search some of the longer highlight vids and you'll be challenged to find a play where he's a OLB.

Freeney is starting to show his age. I love Freeney, he is one of my favorite players, but he's carrying a $19M cap hit for this year. Now we would only save $14M of that if we cut or traded him but with that you can still do a lot in free agency. If there is a team willing to part with a middle-round draft pick, say 3rd or 4th round then I think it might be worth it to free that kind of cap space and get an additional player in this year's draft.

I will say this...it's always better to part ways with a player a year before you have to.

I like how the Giants run there Nascar defensive line, using four defensive lineman to attack the quarterback. Move Hughes in as a DT and bring in someone else or use Nevis. Of course a 3-4 takes a different group of people than a 4-3, so I think we will stay with a 4-3 for another year at least until we can bring in the talent a 3-4 needs and get rid of our current guys that fit the 4-3 and can not make the switch. You make the most of the guys you have.

Maybe mathis production has some thing to do with playing on the other side of freeney

Mathis to OLB, Anderson in Robert's spot, and Hughes filling in for Freeney who becomes situational. I think Mathis could be Ware like and I'm tired of seeing Freeney burn so much energy on plays he has no chance of impacting.

As hard as it is if i was the colts i wouldnt pay freeney that 19mil.. if he didnt take a new deal he would have to be released.. they have a guy in jerry hughes who is still young and has alot of potential.. the guy needs a chance to prove himself.

But i could imagine with so many great and potentially really good pass rushers on this team.. they would be a really good 3-4 team... i just hope they can * a big DT during the draft to see if he can play the middle.

As hard as it is if i was the colts i wouldnt pay freeney that 19mil.. if he didnt take a new deal he would have to be released.. they have a guy in jerry hughes who is still young and has alot of potential.. the guy needs a chance to prove himself.

But i could imagine with so many great and potentially really good pass rushers on this team.. they would be a really good 3-4 team... i just hope they can * a big DT during the draft to see if he can play the middle.

You are right - a 3-4 has to start with a dominant NT. Without that everything else begins to break down. I too think Freeney and his $19 million is too much to carry. Lost in all the Peyton talk, this is nearly as sad. I do not think for a second Freeney, at his age and weight and with his skills can hold his edge alone. Pagano can talk glowingly now, but ultimately I think Freeney will not fit, if not for his size and ability should they go 3-4, but for that enormous cap number.