Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What round do you take a RB?

On 10/25/2016 at 11:41 AM, richard pallo said:

I think you have to keep an open mind on the RB need.  Look at Dallas.  People have been saying they have had  the best Ol for quite a few years now.  They drafted 8th. last year.  You had to lose a lot of games to draft 8th.  They needed a lot of help.  But they took Ezekial Elliot.  What a difference he is making for them and they lost Romo too.  I have always been a proponent of getting a starter with the first pick in a position of need.  Hopefully the first two picks.  We got it with Kelly and the majority of the board couldn't justify a center with our 1st pick.  I'm glad we took him.  I am keeping an open mind.  It's a crap shoot anyway.  Last year Polian had Elliot as his No. 1 player on the board.  Kelly was 4th.  You can't get hung up on position when you have multiple needs to fill.  I like best player available in a position of need who has a great chance to start. If it turns out to be a RB that's okay with me. 

Just for the record,  the Cowboys selected Elliott 4th overall,  not 8th.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/21/2016 at 8:32 AM, Gavin said:

I'd make a run at Knile Davis

Travaris Cadet

Christine Michael

Re-sign Turbin and Todman

Who?

I looked the kid up. 

He's in his 5th season in the NFL and has 24 CAREER carries.

Here's his ESPN bio page.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/15457/travaris-cadet

Would you like to share with us what you've seen that makes you think we should make a run on him?

17 hours ago, Hoosiernsavga said:

We need so much help on defense i wouldnt draft one until at least the 4-5 rd. Hoosier Jordan Howard went in the fifth rd this past year to the Bears. I would love to have him in Indy!

He was one guy I was really hoping we would snag once the 4th round rolled around last year. Anyone that watched him in the Big Ten last year knew he had the skills to start at the NFL level. The concern with him is staying healthy enough long-term to be a consistent fixture in a team's lineup. He's a great building block for Chicago if he stays healthy.

7 hours ago, BCoop said:

He was one guy I was really hoping we would snag once the 4th round rolled around last year. Anyone that watched him in the Big Ten last year knew he had the skills to start at the NFL level. The concern with him is staying healthy enough long-term to be a consistent fixture in a team's lineup. He's a great building block for Chicago if he stays healthy.

On a side note IU is really bringing up some talent. They picked up a kid that went to the same high school I did and look out. He's a TE and I want to say out of high school he's 6-4 and 230 I think but he can use his body

Like someone said earlier, you don't pigeonhole a pick. But if there is a elite or even just a very good rb available when we pick(and way season is going there will be) in the first I think it would be almost foolish not to grab him.

And either late in draft/FA we need to acquire another good young rb. 

16 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Like someone said earlier, you don't pigeonhole a pick. But if there is a elite or even just a very good rb available when we pick(and way season is going there will be) in the first I think it would be almost foolish not to grab him.

Where we will be picking there will be better options then a RB

24 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

If the colts draft a running back in the first, the person making that selection should be hit in the head with a sledgehammer and dumped into a river.

4 hours ago, BOTT said:

If the colts draft a running back in the first, the person making that selection should be hit in the head with a sledgehammer and dumped into a river.

You again and your hatred of rb's lol.

I don't see anyone getting hit in he head in the cowboys organization for drafting Zeke, which by the way has made them a legitimate super bowl contender. A pick which you said was a horrible pick.

23 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

You again and your hatred of rb's lol.

I don't see anyone getting hit in he head in the cowboys organization for drafting Zeke, which by the way has made them a legitimate super bowl contender. A pick which you said was a horrible pick.

It was a horrible pick.  I also said he would win rookie of the year.  

10 hours ago, BOTT said:

It was a horrible pick.  I also said he would win rookie of the year.  

I halfway agree with you.  I think had anyone BUT the Cowboys picked him, it'd been a horrible pick.  Zeke going to a team like the cowboys with that type of O line allowed him to get comfortable and use his talents.  Had he gone to a team like say the Colts, yeah,  I dont think he'd be nearly as good.  Not saying his success is 100% of the OL but having a top 5 OL if not the #1 OL in the league sure helps

48 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I halfway agree with you.  I think had anyone BUT the Cowboys picked him, it'd been a horrible pick.  Zeke going to a team like the cowboys with that type of O line allowed him to get comfortable and use his talents.  Had he gone to a team like say the Colts, yeah,  I dont think he'd be nearly as good.  Not saying his success is 100% of the OL but having a top 5 OL if not the #1 OL in the league sure helps

its definitely not just all about the oline when it comes to a teams running game

elliot is leading the league in ypg and would be first in overall yards but the titans and eagles have played one more game.

elliot has 114 ypg, last year their best back had 68 behind the same line

Just now, aaron11 said:

its definitely not just all about the oline when it comes to a teams running game

elliot is leading the league in ypg and would be first in overall yards but the titans and eagles have played one more game.

I understand that. hints my last sentence.  I'm simply saying that take a good running back rookie or otherwise and put behind a crappy OL and hes not gonna do as well. I like Zeke, I quite impressed by him, but I also know that OL of Dallas helps a lot.

3 hours ago, aaron11 said:

I don't think anyone is disputing he is an upgrade from the a washed up Darren McFadden......who was putting up TRich numbers the previous 3 years.

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

I think they picked him because they thought they only had a tiny window with tony room and Elliot would produce immediately.

10 hours ago, aaron11 said:

oh he's definitely that, dax is second

espn, SI and nfl.com all have EE on their mvp lists

the MVP voters come from those places too

lol

I was joking obviously.

i couldn't care less who espn, SI, etc have on their list.

4 hours ago, BOTT said:

I was joking obviously.

i couldn't care less who espn, SI, etc have on their list.

thats who votes for the MVP

if you are going to call people out for suggesting a running back, im going to show everyone why it can still work

4 hours ago, aaron11 said:

thats who votes for the MVP

if you are going to call people out for suggesting a running back, im going to show everyone why it can still work

You proved nothing . . . taking a RB in the first round is almost always a bad decision (or at least not the best decision). 

2 hours ago, esmort said:

You proved nothing . . . taking a RB in the first round is almost always a bad decision (or at least not the best decision). 

1 hour ago, BOTT said:

You have yet to do it.

it cant be proven either way, i made an argument saying elliot was a good pick for the cowobys

no one made an actual counter argument, it was just snarky responses and flame posts

44 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

it cant be proven either way, i made an argument saying elliot was a good pick for the cowobys

no one made an actual counter argument, it was just snarky responses and flame posts

Or you just ignored them.

And what responses were snarky and flaming???

• 1 month later...
On 10/21/2016 at 7:05 AM, Defjamz26 said:

I agree about Cooke. I think he's what the Colts need. However I'd also look at RB in rounds 2-4 if we don't get a first round back.

I agree, I want Cooke bad, but it conflicts me because generally I don't believe in spending a 1st rounder on a RB.  But reality is that most likely the first round is the only shot the Colts are going to have to draft him.

Regardless RB seems rather deep this year.  We should be able to find someone to split time with Gore next year and then after that take over in the full time role.  

38 minutes ago, krunk said:

Not sure, but I think Mcaffrey would fit pretty good in this offense.

I think he would be a good fit as well and he could be there in the 1st. round when we pick.  I saw a mock recently having us taking Fournett with the 13th. pick.  I would be surprised if we draft that high though.  I am expecting him and Cook to be gone before we pick and Mcaffrey would be a great addition regardless.  I think any of the three would be welcome huge additions.  Again I believe we are going to use FA  or a trade to address ER and or LB thus enabling to us to grab a young RB in the 1st. round. 

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I agree, I want Cooke bad, but it conflicts me because generally I don't believe in spending a 1st rounder on a RB.  But reality is that most likely the first round is the only shot the Colts are going to have to draft him.

Regardless RB seems rather deep this year.  We should be able to find someone to split time with Gore next year and then after that take over in the full time role.  

True. You can always get a RB later but you won't get a guy as special as Cook later. The first round RBs have really been producing though. Gordon had a great sophomore year, Gurley was exceptional his rookie year, and Elliot is killing it. 

At at some point the Colts need to get a young explosive RB. It feels like every year we have this conversation on this board about how we can wait and get a RB and then we watch the guys we hope we don't draft go before our pick and go ham. 

But history may repeat itself. Cook and Fournette could be gone by our pick, and then we'll watch them explode for another team.

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Despite his measurables, I see McCaffrey as being too small to be a three down, every series, RB.  I wouldn't draft him higher than round 2.

I didn't pick a round.  We are a RBBC team so he wouldnt necessarily have to come in and tote the rock 26 times a game.   Kid could always gain weight later.  Don't see how 6'0" and 200lbs is that small.  Marshall Faulk and others were the same size or very close coming out of school.  

You can get great rb's late, Ballard would have most likely had multiple 1000+ yard seasons if he could have stayed healthy. Ezekiel Elliots are not just found in the 1st round

Arian Foster

Priest Holmes

Ryan Grant

Thomas Rawls

Isaiah Crowell

All very capable 1000+ yard seasons or have put multiple up In the past

4 hours ago, krunk said:

Not sure, but I think Mcaffrey would fit pretty good in this offense.

He's my #1 RB. I think his ability running between the tackles is severely underrated his vision is near elite Imo and I love his speed athlestism and agility. Ideally I'd love for us to move back a couple spots in the draft pick up another 2nd rounder and possibly a 4th or 5th depending how far back getting McCaffery then possibly trading our two 2nd rounders for a higher 2nd on a stud OLB or keep the picks and load up.

35 minutes ago, Gavin said:

You can get great rb's late, Ballard would have most likely had multiple 1000+ yard seasons if he could have stayed healthy. Ezekiel Elliots are not just found in the 1st round

Arian Foster

Priest Holmes

Ryan Grant

Thomas Rawls

Isaiah Crowell

All very capable 1000+ yard seasons or have put multiple up In the past

David Johnson wasn't taken in the first and neither was Bell and Bell is the best in the league