Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Which team or teams (not your favorite team) are you an apologist for?

Jules

Not meaning the team you are a main fan of.

Meaning you stick up for this team or these teams too much OR you pick them to win a lot and they don't and then you still keep picking them to win or apologizing for them lol.

In the AFC for me it's often the Chiefs. I pick them to win A LOT over recent years and always seem to think "it's happening". And I can be this odd apologist for Alex Smith and ignore his mediocre or bad play. And sometimes I go back and forth on Andy Reid love/hate. 

In the NFC it's often the Saints I pick to win many weeks and they.......lose in some weird fashion despite Brees putting up huge numbers and then I scratch my head. Often it was also the Romo led Cowboys I picked to win and then they didn't or they blew it and I kept hoping that "The Romo Cowboys would happen".

And done this with the Packers a lot too, guilty as charged..........I often think the Packers will win it all and well they don't.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

With me it's probably the Packers. I find myself making stupid excuses to why they lose in the Playoffs every season but keep picking them either to win the NFC or SB lmao 

Same here. It's this myth of Green Bay that we all fall in love with. I mean yes most seasons they are good enough, but man oh man do they find the biggest ways to blow it in the postseason at times and often it's epically getting embarrassed defensively.

People often say to not pick the Packers but I often pick them. Even Bloody Champ would say not to pick the Packers unless it's a crappy team they play in the playoffs like last years Redskins or that year they had the Vikings with that backup QB who sucked.

1 minute ago, Jules said:

Same here. It's this myth of Green Bay that we all fall in love with. I mean yes most seasons they are good enough, but man oh man do they find the biggest ways to blow it in the postseason at times and often it's epically getting embarrassed defensively.

People often say to not pick the Packers but I often pick them. Even Bloody Champ would say not to pick the Packers unless it's a crappy team they play in the playoffs like last years Redskins or that year they had the Vikings with that backup QB who sucked.

It's the Rodgers affect IMO. A lot of people always took Indy when Peyton was here because of how Great he was and we only won it once. I know the Packers don't have a Good Defense but yet I still pick them almost every year because I know Rodgers is the QB. I picked the Packers to win the NFC last season to play Denver even.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It's the Rodgers affect IMO. A lot of people always took Indy when Peyton was here because of how Great he was and we only won it once. I know the Packers don't have a Good Defense but yet I still pick them almost every year because I know Rodgers is the QB. I picked the Packers to win the NFC last season to play Denver even.

It is the Rodgers affect but sadly even though it is like the old Peyton affect we had with the Colts too, Peyton was better then Rodgers in the regular season.

Sometimes lately I think Rodgers is on tranquilizers.......he needs to pick it up and stuff.

Although it's not as bad as me often picking the Chiefs despite Alex Smith......and then ignoring that Alex Smith is alive when people yell to me about him and I shut it off. lmao 

Oh and a team I can't still grasp is the Vikings. I  mean I guess I am caught up in Sam Bradford's past too since I just.........am having a tough time dealing with the reality of them rolling so hard overall as a team this year after losing their starting QB and RB.

I mean this is Sam Bradford........:dunno: It's like giving some awful ex another shot and he delivers and you can't believe it and think it's going to blow up again any second.

I also apologize a lot for Brock O. Not sure why but maybe since he is cute to me?

I am turning this into NFL confessions.

For me this year it has been the Arizona Cardinals.  They were actually my Super Bowl pick at the start of the season but have gotten off to a rougher start than initially expected.    Still I pick them most weeks waiting for them to recapture some of what made them special last year. 

Just now, Coltsman1788 said:

For me this year it has been the Arizona Cardinals.  They were actually my Super Bowl pick at the start of the season but have gotten off to a rougher start than initially expected.    Still I pick them most weeks waiting for them to recapture some of what made them special last year. 

Good pick. I know a few in the same boat as you with the Cardinals and thinking "it's going to be special again".

For sure this is like an NFL therapy thread. lmao 

5 minutes ago, Jules said:

Oh and a team I can't still grasp is the Vikings. I  mean I guess I am caught up in Sam Bradford's past too since I just.........am having a tough time dealing with the reality of them rolling so hard overall as a team this year after losing their starting QB and RB.

I mean this is Sam Bradford........:dunno: It's like giving some awful ex another shot and he delivers and you can't believe it and think it's going to blow up again any second.

I also apologize a lot for Brock O. Not sure why but maybe since he is cute to me?

I am turning this into NFL confessions.

Regarding Brock, he is pretty much Average but he doesn't suck. When I talk smack about him I just do it because the media built him up so much. Sunday will be interesting. Reagrding the Vikings, what they are doing is amazing without Teddy and AP. I think Zimmer deserves Coach of the Year so far.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Regarding Brock, he is pretty much Average but he doesn't suck. When I talk smack about him I just do it because the media built him up so much. Sunday will be interesting. Reagrding the Vikings, what they are doing is amazing without Teddy and AP. I think Zimmer deserves Coach of the Year so far.

I have often been a Brock apologist since last year. I guess I will know A LOT more about him Sunday night........

Good pick. I know a few in the same boat as you with the Cardinals and thinking "it's going to be special again".

For sure this is like an NFL therapy thread. lmao 

Yeah not to mention that my heart is kinda attached to them because they are my twin sister's favorite team.  lol  She is so hungry to see them finally win a Super Bowl.

3 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Yeah not to mention that my heart is kinda attached to them because they are my twin sister's favorite team.  lol  She is so hungry to see them finally win a Super Bowl.

Cards will still make the Playoffs. Once you get in who knows. Man I was rooting bigtime for them in 2008 against the Steelers, they came so close with the Great Kurt Warner.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Cards will still make the Playoffs. Once you get in who knows. Man I was rooting bigtime for them in 2008 against the Steelers, they came so close with the Great Kurt Warner.

Seahawks should win the division by years end IMO.

I mean Seattle is kinda like NE in a way. We can try to ignore them but they are...there.......

Seahawks should win the division by years end IMO.

I mean Seattle is kinda like NE in a way. We can try to ignore them but they are...there.......

Cards will get a WildCard IMO. At this point the Division is Seattle's to lose though. Still a ways to go too, Wilson has been getting banged up here and there. He got lucky his knee didn't get seriously injured.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Cards will get a WildCard IMO. At this point the Division is Seattle's to lose though. Still a ways to go too, Wilson has been getting banged up here and there. He got lucky his knee didn't get seriously injured.

True, Seattle often peaks late in the year though. They are kind of the anti Falcons. lmao 

Chiefs and Giants. I'v always thought the Chiefs were a qb away from a suber bowl run. Theyy had the defense and run game. Alex smitth is just not the guy to lead them. And the Giants because I'v always been a fan of Cruz and ODB. And they're the only team I can think of that have gotten the best of thr patriots in a big time situation(super bowl). Not many teams can say that.

18 hours ago, Luck12-to-Hilton13 said:

Chiefs and Giants. I'v always thought the Chiefs were a qb away from a suber bowl run. Theyy had the defense and run game. Alex smitth is just not the guy to lead them. And the Giants because I'v always been a fan of Cruz and ODB. And they're the only team I can think of that have gotten the best of thr patriots in a big time situation(super bowl). Not many teams can say that.

This!!!!!!!!!

But, still despite Alex Smith I often think "they can still do it." lmao 

Good original topic. Lately it's been the Colts and Chargers because of Luck and Rivers. Over the years it was the teams that I grew up with who I just couldn't imagine ever losing the way they do now like the Raiders, Dolphins, Redskins, Bills, Cowboys etc but they've either blew it so many times since or had some kind of PR disaster that I just don't have the energy now lol!

The Bengals :hide:       

I have family members that are die hard Bengals fans,  and I sometimes get caught up in their excitement when the team  looks  like   "This could be our Year"   and yet,  they still are a let down come Playoffs every single year.

6 minutes ago, Luck12-to-Hilton13 said:

Can you imagine Luck on the Chiefs over the last couple of seasons????? With their d and run game???

I often talked about this with a friend. Like if you threw Luck on the Chiefs or even the Cardinals how much better they could be and potentially be in the SB easily.

32 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

Good original topic. Lately it's been the Colts and Chargers because of Luck and Rivers. Over the years it was the teams that I grew up with who I just couldn't imagine ever losing the way they do now like the Raiders, Dolphins, Redskins, Bills, Cowboys etc but they've either blew it so many times since or had some kind of PR disaster that I just don't have the energy now lol!

I was often high on Rivers and still can be......I often felt like he got a raw deal being on a lousy team a lot with lousy management and Big Ben and Eli got all the breaks in that draft class with the rings and accolades. 

The Chargers did have that mini run for a while there and knocked us out of the playoffs a few times and we all got high on them going to the SB for years and then it ended.......not sure how it ended. But, it ended. And often that team seems to get hurt a lot with key players.

Not a popular opinion maybe but I was never high on the idea of them firing Marty after the 2006 season either. I mean, sure I get it....."Marty Ball". I know. But, Norv Turner was that much better? Yes they won some playoff games but they did fall apart.

And they fired Marty after a 2006 season with Rivers first real year starting and having the league MVP in Tomlinson and being 14-2!!!!!!!!!  They lost to a very experienced Patriots team in the first round and honestly the Pats got lucky breaks to get that win.

And it was not just Marty. They had that first round meltdown to the Jets in 2009 which I argue was A LOT worse.......but it helped us since it gave us an easier opponent in the Jets for the title game but honestly deep down I wanted to play SD since I wanted the bigger test if we were to go to the SB and play Brees or Favre. We had slayed the Pats dragon finally in 2006 and I wanted to slay the Chargers dragon finally in the postseason.

1 hour ago, Jules said:

I was often high on Rivers and still can be......I often felt like he got a raw deal being on a lousy team a lot with lousy management and Big Ben and Eli got all the breaks in that draft class with the rings and accolades. 

The Chargers did have that mini run for a while there and knocked us out of the playoffs a few times and we all got high on them going to the SB for years and then it ended.......not sure how it ended. But, it ended. And often that team seems to get hurt a lot with key players.

Not a popular opinion maybe but I was never high on the idea of them firing Marty after the 2006 season either. I mean, sure I get it....."Marty Ball". I know. But, Norv Turner was that much better? Yes they won some playoff games but they did fall apart.

And they fired Marty after a 2006 season with Rivers first real year starting and having the league MVP in Tomlinson and being 14-2!!!!!!!!!  They lost to a very experienced Patriots team in the first round and honestly the Pats got lucky breaks to get that win.

And it was not just Marty. They had that first round meltdown to the Jets in 2009 which I argue was A LOT worse.......but it helped us since it gave us an easier opponent in the Jets for the title game but honestly deep down I wanted to play SD since I wanted the bigger test if we were to go to the SB and play Brees or Favre. We had slayed the Pats dragon finally in 2006 and I wanted to slay the Chargers dragon finally in the postseason.

Marty doesn't get the credit he deserves. So he lost to the team that hadn't lost all year. Fire him fire him!!!!!! The top of the AFC was just unbreakable then. The Pats, Colts and Steelers won every year during, before and after he'd left by 2 years.

Of the 4 teams he coached to respectability, 3 of them were taken from him. The Browns, Redskins and Chargers shouldn't have fired him. The Chiefs didn't fire him, he just decided he was done there IIRC.

For me

NFC is the NYG - Projecting P. Manning through his brother and prior great defenses.  They are Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde over the years.  Seems they either stink it up or over achieve any given year with same base of players. Always suggesting that Mr Hyde will finally make an appearance 

AFC is Buffalo - I guess I still see them thru the eyes of Jim Kelley/Bruce Smith years.

BTW is a great original topic!

Chalk me up for being a Bengals apologist. Most of my family are pure Bengals fans, bar none. Like many, I sometimes get caught up in expecting them to be better. Take today for instance. In the first half of the Patriots game, I thought to myself, "huh, they're actually hanging with the Pats! Maybe they are a better team this year!"

Then Burfict and the pin heads went back to their normal ways of getting too emotional against Gronk and well... That pretty much was it. Have to say, Dalton was spectacular for most of the day. They might've been able to win it if not for stupid mistakes and angry players. 

Such is the life of the Bengals though... 

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

Chalk me up for being a Bengals apologist. Most of my family are pure Bengals fans, bar none. Like many, I sometimes get caught up in expecting them to be better. Take today for instance. In the first half of the Patriots game, I thought to myself, "huh, they're actually hanging with the Pats! Maybe they are a better team this year!"

Then Burfict and the pin heads went back to their normal ways of getting too emotional against Gronk and well... That pretty much was it. Have to say, Dalton was spectacular for most of the day. They might've been able to win it if not for stupid mistakes and angry players. 

Such is the life of the Bengals though... 

Agree.   I was really pulling for them today, and thought they were holding their own and giving the Pats a good game,  and then the tempers and attitudes appeared.   I will say,  I thought Gronk was an instigator for the most part, but he seemed to cool his jets after getting the unsportsmanlike call against him.  One more and he would have been out of the game.   Bengals Burfict just can't control himself, the reason he was suspended the first 3 games of the year this year.