Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What's up with Carolina

danlhart87

Well not a whole heckuva lot seems to be happening with the Panthers this year, in a nutshell.

Also I didn't watch today but this season Cam is getting BEAT UP badly and I think he has been hurt at times.

Sucks, since I find Carolina interesting at least to watch. Falcons bore me........if they get going hardcore blah.

Saw a headline that Cam Newton is being evaluated for a concussion.

I am not trying to say the league is against him........but from what I seen of Carolina this year I swear teams are allowed to maul Cam at times without a flag. It can kinda bother me. There have been some BIG hits on Cam Newton this year and I hope he will be OK since he is a lot of fun to watch when he is healthy.

3 hours ago, Jules said:

Saw a headline that Cam Newton is being evaluated for a concussion.

I am not trying to say the league is against him........but from what I seen of Carolina this year I swear teams are allowed to maul Cam at times without a flag. It can kinda bother me. There have been some BIG hits on Cam Newton this year and I hope he will be OK since he is a lot of fun to watch when he is healthy.

Denver was allowed to maul Cam, no flags...

Minnesota was allowed to maul Cam, no flags (and the irony that Vikings fans dare complain about "Bountygate")

ATLANTA mauled him, and again, no flags. 

Cam has been knocked out of 3 games this yeaer and we're only at week 4. 

If that was Brees, Rodgers, Luck, or Eli taking the hits that Cam takes, there would be flags all over the field and fans would be screaming at the same level that Panthers fans have been.  

Seems the goal to beating Carolina this year is to just knock Cam out of the game or at least give him enough big hits to render his play useless. 

On 10/2/2016 at 9:24 PM, Moose Of Woe said:

Superbowl hangover.

There is truth to this. You have to work so very very hard and have great leadership not to get complacent. How hard they worked last year to do it all over again is hard to stay at that same level of intensity. This team played with a ton of intensity last year and it just isn't quite there. 

Biggest issue is their running game with Stewart out is really suffering and as bad as the secondary was last year it just isn't as good this year. Remember that Saints defense in 09? Teams that live off turnovers one year and then what happens when turnovers don't happen? As for Cam he isn't being treated unfairly for the most part. Couple missed calls but it's all about posture. You posture your body in a throwing position then you are protected. You posture your body in a running position your considered a runner. You can't protect a guy that runs over defenders or runs out read options down the line. Reason Peyton or Tom or Drew get protected is because they behave like a qb. Cam gets the calls when he behaves like a qb but when he runs around outside the pocket with the ball tucked...he's a rb. He is a fun qb to watch but defenses have just learned to be aggressive and hit him 1st then waiting to see if he is going to run or throw. You attack because if you play on your heels you lose. I never heard anyone complain when Tom got beat up by the broncos I don't think Cam getting hit is any different. Players like Tom don't let themselves get hit because they play differently not because the refs treat them differently.

I came close to predicting they wouldn't make the Playoffs but because of the Division they are in I had them making it. The Falcons look legit. I pretty much figured there would be no way they could match last season and Cam is basically Andrew Luck but with a much better Defense. Give Andrew the Defense Cam had last season and the Colts would've probably beat the Broncos again in the Playoffs like they normally had anyway. The Panthers Defense won at least 3 or 4 games for them last season by getting Turnovers and getting Cam huge leads.  

-Since 1990 only 6% of teams make the Playoffs when starting 1-4. I wish the Panthers luck. Falcons, Vikings, Packers, Cowboys, Seahawks are all going to probably make it, maybe they can snag the last WildCard spot?

In sports there are no guarantees. No one can say what exactly the reasons are for what happens. This brings to light the incredible record of the Buffalo Bills with four straight SB appearances that will most likely never be broken by any team ever.

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 0:12 PM, dgambill said:

There is truth to this. You have to work so very very hard and have great leadership not to get complacent. How hard they worked last year to do it all over again is hard to stay at that same level of intensity. This team played with a ton of intensity last year and it just isn't quite there. 

Biggest issue is their running game with Stewart out is really suffering and as bad as the secondary was last year it just isn't as good this year. Remember that Saints defense in 09? Teams that live off turnovers one year and then what happens when turnovers don't happen? As for Cam he isn't being treated unfairly for the most part. Couple missed calls but it's all about posture. You posture your body in a throwing position then you are protected. You posture your body in a running position your considered a runner. You can't protect a guy that runs over defenders or runs out read options down the line. Reason Peyton or Tom or Drew get protected is because they behave like a qb. Cam gets the calls when he behaves like a qb but when he runs around outside the pocket with the ball tucked...he's a rb. He is a fun qb to watch but defenses have just learned to be aggressive and hit him 1st then waiting to see if he is going to run or throw. You attack because if you play on your heels you lose. I never heard anyone complain when Tom got beat up by the broncos I don't think Cam getting hit is any different. Players like Tom don't let themselves get hit because they play differently not because the refs treat them differently.

Am I * if I quote myself lol....but I said this before the game. Last year Carolina was far and away the leader in turnover differential. Turnovers are funny things....yes you can force some turnovers but sometimes they are just fortunate things....like us Sunday on the fumble at the end. I wouldn't say the defense did anything special to force that game winning turnover but it happened anyways. Well benefiting of those can turn a lot of games your way. Also they work both ways and what your seeing now is not only are they not forcing any but they are losing way way too many. I think they are like -11 on the season or something. Like 4 last night. Hard to overcome that and win games in the NFL. Too many points off the board and given to the other team. I still think they are suffering in the running game although they ran it last night. But they just aren't forcing teams into mistakes or they just aren't getting lucky like they did last year. Discipline and execution....just ain't the same this year.

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

In sports there are no guarantees. No one can say what exactly the reasons are for what happens. This brings to light the incredible record of the Buffalo Bills with four straight SB appearances that will most likely never be broken by any team ever.

Giants beating the Patriots in the 2007 Season SB still takes the cake. Nobody gave the Giants a chance. Patriots at 18-0 were just smoking everyone and running up the score on teams that were Bad scoring 40+ points on purpose. I was so glad the Giants ruined the Pats season. Other than the Colts winning the SB in 2006 which we went through the Pats as well, that was my favorite SB. Football was the best those 2 seasons! When the Giants beat the Pats I was just lmao all night drinking down the beers! For Pats fans that had to be a pure misery of a night. They were talking major smack all season and before that SB game. Worse loss/biggest choke in NFL history IMO. It's worse than Jets over Colts because the Colts weren't undefeated.

I'll also say....dang they have played a tough schedule....not like the teams they lost to are bad teams. Denver, Atlanta, and Minnesota are all division leaders and look to be playoff teams. Last night they didn't have Cam or Stewart and if it wasn't for 4 turnovers they really should have won that game. They've faced a brutal first part of the schedule. No one is going to feel sorry for a team that dabbed their way to 15-1 last year laughing and carrying on...teams are relishing beating them down.

I am curious to see how Newton does when he comes back. I firmly believe his ego has been shattered and so his confidence is in the toilet. I could be wrong but he is definitely not the same player. His performance after the SB game to me showed he is OK as long as everything is going his way and now he is bewildered. My theory only.

On October 2, 2016 at 5:55 PM, Bogie said:

Denver was allowed to maul Cam, no flags...

Minnesota was allowed to maul Cam, no flags (and the irony that Vikings fans dare complain about "Bountygate")

ATLANTA mauled him, and again, no flags. 

Cam has been knocked out of 3 games this yeaer and we're only at week 4. 

If that was Brees, Rodgers, Luck, or Eli taking the hits that Cam takes, there would be flags all over the field and fans would be screaming at the same level that Panthers fans have been.  

Seems the goal to beating Carolina this year is to just knock Cam out of the game or at least give him enough big hits to render his play useless. 

I've heard other NFL pundits say that given Cam's size & strength as a mammoth QB that referees are allowing LBs, DBs, & safeties to bring down Newton any way they can & not throwing laundry on the field because it's like trying to tear down a skyscraper from the top down. 

I kind of agree with the no calls here because #1 is a beast physically. How else are you gonna slow him down? Head shots aren't allowed & his legs are like tree trunks man. I have no sympathy for Cam at all. Wouldn't you be happy over the Panthers struggles as a Saints fan Bogie? 

Also, Newton more or less acts like he's invincible & if he's too stupid to get down, avoid contact, or scurry quickly into the end zone he deserves the punishment he is taking. I don't hate the guy & I never wanna see anybody get hurt, but Newton is not playing smart football right now. That's entirely on him & their OC IMO. 

2 minutes ago, Gramz said:

I missed it..  we were watching the Bengals/Patriots game.  Sounds like it was exciting.  More exciting than the game we watched.  

Cincy gave me hope in the first half and then took it away haha

But yeah, it was insane in the 2nd half. I wish I had recorded it.

On 10/12/2016 at 0:58 PM, Valpo2004 said:

That defense just isn't the same without Norman.  

As hard to believe as it sounds, they were 6th ranked D in scoring last year, now they're what, 29th with the Browns?  And the Colts are 28th?

Who cares what your O can do, when your D lets the other team do even better.

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

As hard to believe as it sounds, they were 6th ranked D in scoring last year, now they're what, 29th with the Browns?  And the Colts are 28th?

Who cares what your O can do, when your D lets the other team do even better.

I still think Norman was an overrated system CB.  I think even with Norman, teams would still be tearing that secondary apart.  It also doesn't help when your offense isn't flowing as well as it used to (partly due to Cam being out for a bit).  I just feel like teams have figured them out.  Cam gets rattled easily and the secondary is suspect.

11 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I still think Norman was an overrated system CB.  I think even with Norman, teams would still be tearing that secondary apart.  It also doesn't help when your offense isn't flowing as well as it used to (partly due to Cam being out for a bit).  I just feel like teams have figured them out.  Cam gets rattled easily and the secondary is suspect.

I don't buy that last sentence.

Cam gets rattled easily.  It took the greatest football minds in the world 5 full seasons to figure that out?

And the secondary being suspect?  Again it took the greatest football minds in the world this long to figure that out?

Now maybe there are wrinkles in their scheme or something that these guys have figured out.  But QB's that are rattled easily and defenses with suspect secondaries are immediately apparent.  

Norman might have been a system CB but he was still a very important cog in their system.  

20 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I don't buy that last sentence.

Cam gets rattled easily.  It took the greatest football minds in the world 5 full seasons to figure that out?

And the secondary being suspect?  Again it took the greatest football minds in the world this long to figure that out?

Now maybe there are wrinkles in their scheme or something that these guys have figured out.  But QB's that are rattled easily and defenses with suspect secondaries are immediately apparent.  

Norman might have been a system CB but he was still a very important cog in their system.  

It's not necessarily that it took 5 years for it to happen.  It could have been a perfect storm.  Cam does well during the regular season, bringing up his expectations.  A team with a fierce pass rush like Denver hits Cam over and over again, frustrating him.  The loss happens in the Super Bowl, putting all the more pressure on Cam.  So perhaps high expectations that aren't being matched and a lot of pressure has made him fold easier.  Not saying that's what's going on, but just shows that it isn't just that it took 5 years for coaches to figure it out.  If he had a mediocre regular season last year and didn't make it to the Super Bowl, coaches and teams wouldn't be as concerned with him.  McDermott and Shula were also making great decisions and calls last year, but it seems like they aren't as good at it this year.

2 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

It's not necessarily that it took 5 years for it to happen.  It could have been a perfect storm.  Cam does well during the regular season, bringing up his expectations.  A team with a fierce pass rush like Denver hits Cam over and over again, frustrating him.  The loss happens in the Super Bowl, putting all the more pressure on Cam.  So perhaps high expectations that aren't being matched and a lot of pressure has made him fold easier.  Not saying that's what's going on, but just shows that it isn't just that it took 5 years for coaches to figure it out.  If he had a mediocre regular season last year and didn't make it to the Super Bowl, coaches and teams wouldn't be as concerned with him.  McDermott and Shula were also making great decisions and calls last year, but it seems like they aren't as good at it this year.

Ok I can see that.  I could also see how the post super bowl pressure could be affecting the whole team not just Cam.  

These guys looked pre-season like they had a solid shot of getting back to the SB.