Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mid-Week Musings.....

NewColtsFan

I view this weeks game vs. J'Ville as a near must win game.     I read that Grigson says last week's game felt like a must-win game....   well, to me,  this week's should be too.    Because if we win,  then we beat the Bears in week 5,   then suddenly we have a 3-game win streak,  a 3-2 record,  and 1-0 in the division and that's a nice place to be in a year that seems so unpredictable...

We have to win the games that we should clearly win and this week's game is one of them.    J'Ville is struggling....   badly underachieving....   we need to beat them and beat them good.

A few words about a few players.....

Really enjoying what we're getting from two unheralded players.....   Jack Doyle and Josh Ferguson.     Doyle is showing much more receiving skill than I expected and a good ability to find the soft spots in a defense and make tough catches.     He's now a much improved asset to the offense.     And ditto that for rookie free agent Josh Ferguson.   He's a terrific weapon out of the backfield...  and I expect him to get better.     He's an exceptional receiver with soft hands and quick as a hiccup moves....    in passing situations the defense has to be aware of him.    Even if we don't throw his way,  the defense still has to account for him.    Because if they do ignore him,  then we'll throw his way and he will hurt opponents.

That's two added weapons for our offense......

Our defense looked much better this past week as we got healthier.....    guys like Langford and Anderson are going to get more snaps....    guys like Vonte, and Geathers and Green are going to get better.....    hopefully the rest of the backfield can stay healthy.....

Now, we have to get more production from our linebackers....    Cole is gone....   Mathis hasn't picked up where he left off at the end of last year....   and has mostly disappeared. Now would be a good time for him to step up.     I suspect we'll see more from Akeem Ayers.     Next Man Up!

Big game.....   want to be 2-2 after this weekend......      want to be 3-2 after next weekend.....      Have to take advantage of the soft spot in the schedule....

People were worried about the SD game (which turned out to be quite the nail biter), but I'm more scared for this coming game against the Jags. Like you said, it's a must win and the Jags are under performing. They are a much better team than the one that game out weeks 1-3. That offense with Bortles, Robinson and Hurns is too good to just stay stagnant the whole season. They can and probably will eventually have a big game. Gotta hope it's not this week. 

We gotta take the lead and keep it. Can't let them hang around too long. Just like us, they're the type of team that can get a huge play at any moment on offense. Gotta make sure if that play does happen, they're too far behind for it to matter.

Good thing is their O line is probably more trash than ours haha

According to a Colts.com article, Doyle is wildly popular in the locker room because of his great attitude and how he goes about his business.  Barring injury, he should be a big weapon for us.  Monachino said having Robinson back opens up our defensive playbook.  Bortles is still young, so I'm hoping we can frustrate him with our secondary, while our linebackers stop the run.  We should see Dline get pressure with Anderson back.

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I view this weeks game vs. J'Ville as a near must win game.     I read that Grigson says last week's game felt like a must-win game....   well, to me,  this week's should be too.    Because if we win,  then we beat the Bears in week 5,   then suddenly we have a 3-game win streak,  a 3-2 record,  and 1-0 in the division and that's a nice place to be in a year that seems so unpredictable...

We have to win the games that we should clearly win and this week's game is one of them.    J'Ville is struggling....   badly underachieving....   we need to beat them and beat them good.

Really enjoying what we're getting from two unheralded players.....   Jack Doyle and Josh Ferguson.     Doyle is showing much more receiving skill than I expected and a good ability to find the soft spots in a defense and make tough catches.     He's now a much improved asset to the offense.     And ditto that for rookie free agent Josh Ferguson.   He's a terrific weapon out of the backfield...  and I expect him to get better.     He's an exceptional receiver with soft hands and quick as a hiccup moves....    in passing situations the defense has to be aware of him.    Even if we don't throw his way,  the defense still has to account for him.    Because if they do ignore him,  then we'll throw his way and he will hurt opponents.

Our defense looked much better this past week as we got healthier.....    guys like Langford and Anderson are going to get more snaps....    guys like Vonte, and Geathers and Green are going to get better.....    hopefully the rest of the backfield can stay healthy.....

Now, we have to get more production from our linebackers....    Cole is gone....   Mathis hasn't picked up where he left off at the end of last year....   and has mostly disappeared. Now would be a good time for him to step up.     I suspect we'll see more from Akeem Ayers.     Next Man Up!

Big game.....   want to be 2-2 after this weekend......      want to be 3-2 after next weekend.....      Have to take advantage of the soft spot in the schedule....

There all must Wins Bro .:rock:

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

For sure it's a must win. Its a division game. J'ville is on the ropes. Looking over the next 7-8 weeks if we take care of business there is no reason we cant go 6-1 or 5-2. This is a must win game to not only make up ground in the division but set the tone for the next 7-8 weeks.

Doyle a surpise? Not to me. I could see the guy had a lot of potential last year and I'm glad he's getting the chance to show what he can do.

Yes, the key is to get healthy overall. I think we will and it's even more reason for optomism.

5 hours ago, Happy2BeHere said:

I get why people are surprised about Doyle but I myself am not, I fully expected this from him.

I did too. I was very impressed with his blocking over the last two seasons and I saw flashes of good hands when he had a chance. Great that he's playing a lot and being successful.

We need to go out and beat these boys decisively like we should.  Start fast and finish strong like we should. I'm expecting the D to play even better than last week overall with Henry Anderson back and all 3 of our corners playing.  All 3 of our safeties back.  Jags have been struggling to run the football in each game including the Chargers who we know can't stop anybody.  They are averaging 2.5 YPC.  Let's stop that run and get that blitz going.  I want a decisive win out of this!

Doyle Rules! 

Ferguson is awesome at catching and running after the catch, but his pass pro is terrible and I haven't seen him run very well as the actual RB.

I hope Geathers is assigned to Julius Thomas. Thomas hasn't done much this season, but I don't want him having his first breakout game against us. 

I was rather looking forward to going against Bjorn Werner, but it wasn't in the cards. 

I'm pretty excited about eating breakfast and watching a Colts game! 

34 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Doyle Rules! 

Ferguson is awesome at catching and running after the catch, but his pass pro is terrible and I haven't seen him run very well as the actual RB.

I hope Geathers is assigned to Julius Thomas. Thomas hasn't done much this season, but I don't want him having his first breakout game against us. 

I was rather looking forward to going against Bjorn Werner, but it wasn't in the cards. 

I'm pretty excited about eating breakfast and watching a Colts game! 

Last time I checked on their forums they were saying Fowler, Julius Thomas, and Jared Odrick did not practice as of yesterday I believe.   It may be possible they don't even play.

22 hours ago, KelownaColtsFan said:

I'm with you on Doyle, he has been a pleasant surprise. I like Ferguson as a receiving option out of the back field, but not running between the tackles, and he is absolutely terrible at blitz protection. The secondary should improve with health. Linebackers are terrible. 

I feel like I'm being force fed Ferguson, so I'm glad somebody is calling him out on blitz protection. He deserves a trip to the woodshed. Todman is a 4th year player and has better 'game' than Ferguson. IMHO, he should be getting those reps/minutes. 

21 minutes ago, Douzer said:

I feel like I'm being force fed Ferguson, so I'm glad somebody is calling him out on blitz protection. He deserves a trip to the woodshed. Todman is a 4th year player and has better 'game' than Ferguson. IMHO, he should be getting those reps/minutes. 

I agree. Todman looked like our best back during the preseason.

Yet he hasn't even been given one opportunity now that the regular season has begun. 

3 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

I agree. Todman looked like our best back during the preseason.

Yet he hasn't even been given one opportunity now that the regular season has begun. 

I do believe we have to release somebody when Art Jones gets back next week. Wouldn't shock me if that guy is Todman. Maybe Darryl Morris. Could be wrong.

5 hours ago, Jason_S said:

Did they ever sign someone to fill Trent Cole's spot?

No but I saw that Trevor Bates was on the bus with them to London. Not sure if its standard practice for PS guys to travel to London. Wouldn't be surprised to see a roster move between today and tomorrow.

11 hours ago, Douzer said:

I really like Turbin I like calling him turbulence. 

I`m looking forward to seeing much more of Langford and Henry A out there in pass situations.
Love their length and ability to pressure. It helps everybody.  :thmup:
 And 3 safeties out their together. Yip!!
And we need Good out their, Please.
Blythe vs Malik Jackson would surely be....  :nono:

We are scrappy....