Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2016-2017 Indiana Pacers season (and the rest of the NBA)

Just now, Bluefire4 said:

Larry Bird was on record saying he thinks Myles is a 5 and we already have Thad Young. I think we were mostly trying to trade PG and at the very end we tried to find a perimeter player like Afflalo but it was too late.

Philly probably took the best deal they could get and the only deal they could get a first rounder out of. Okafor isn't a sure fire bet to be a good player and he definitely wouldn't have made us contenders anyway.

Thad Young certainly isn't  a long term '4'.. Myles Turner would be..I.Iike his 3-point shot and mobility.

I thought the 76ers could get a 1st round pick out of us...but maybe that wasnt on the table..

Dallas '1' will be better than out '1',  of course. Maybe that was it

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

If you don't like being shopped around or named in trade rumors, maybe you should say you're 100% committed to the Pacers and not thinking about leaving.

if he felt 100% committed then he would sign an extension now

i think he really is torn, and wont know for sure himself until next year plays out

i think its about a 50/50

5 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

so im not mad that we kept PG, but i think they were asking for too much in a trade.  i would have taken that #1 pick, plus the celtics own pick, and like one more player

its going to be really tough to challenge the cavs now, and compete for a title like he said

the funny thing is the lakers are not close either, that could be our saving grace

We didn't need to panic and ashcan our team for the next 2 years..

....If we let this play out, we'll make the post-season and the summer may serve us well..

We were never trading PG to Boston but once Magic took over the Lakers, he had to take notice for the future....He certainly wasnt going join to THIS Lakers team but, in a  year, they could have Durant 

Edited by oldunclemark
spell

Can't believe Bird didn't add another big man to take time away from a young potential stud. 

Cant believe he didn't go get another perimeter player that can't shoot from the perimeter or play defense. 

Dream scenario next year starting 5 of ?/Reddick/PG/Thad/Turner

Why am I sure Paul George will stay with the Pacers?

Under the new labor agreement, if he makes an all-NBA team (and he will certainly be 2nd or 3rd team all-NBA), the Pacers (according to the Indy Star) can offer him $212,000,000 in a 6-year contract..(over 35 mil per year)..the max that ANYONE else could offer would be $123,000,000 over 4 years...(about 31 mil per year)

Right now, the Pacers are significantly better than the Lakers obviously.

If that's still the case next season,  Paul would have to leave a superior team in a weaker conference for less years and less money to go 'home' to LA..

If he wants to make max bucks and have the best chance to win, It doesn't make sense.

Edited by oldunclemark
spell

12 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Under the new labor agreement, if he makes an all-NBA team (and he will certainly be 2nd or 3rd team all-NBA), the Pacers (according to the Indy Star) can offer him $212,000,000 in a 6-year contract..(over 35 mil per year)..the max that ANYONE else could offer would be $123,000,000 over 4 years...(about 31 mil per year)

If that's still the case next season,  Paul would have to leave a superior team in a weaker conference for less years and less money to go 'home' to LA..

If he wants to make max bucks and have the best chance to win, It doesn't make sense.

Yeah he isn't passing on that kind of money and I don't see Larry trading him either like I said he wouldn't a few days ago.

47 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

He won't be all NBA this year and he wasn't last year....he isn't eligible for the super max contract. I think your wrong ....he will go to a bigger market...don't kid yourself..PG thinks he is too cool for this market....unless we can build a championship team around him...and that ain't happening with this roster as constructed. It's also why Boston didn't give up the assets to get him...he is a free agent in 2018 and no guarantee he stays even if they got him in trade.

My bad he was last year but I don't see him making it this year thus he doesn't  have two years all NBA during this new contract....we would have to wait and see if he gets it next year and that's risky...I honestly think he is headed to LA...nobody thought Durant was leaving either but he did.

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

He won't be all NBA this year and he wasn't last year....he isn't eligible for the super max contract. I think your wrong ....he will go to a bigger market...don't kid yourself..PG thinks he is too cool for this market....unless we can build a championship team around him...and that ain't happening with this roster as constructed. It's also why Boston didn't give up the assets to get him...he is a free agent in 2018 and no guarantee he stays even if they got him in trade.

George made All NBA 3rd team last season as he did in 2013 and 2014. He didn't in 2015 because he was injured. He usually wont make 1st or 2nd team because you have LeBron and Durant hogging those duties at his position.

26 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I think you make great points, but the idea of going to the "hometown" team is a big variable.   The Lakers could be much better next year.  

I'm OK with the Pacers not making any deals at this trade deadline.   I think the current roster should be much better than they are.   The coach needs to step it up.

11 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I didn't explain that well, DG..

To be a designated player and get the 6-year extensions, you have to be 1st, 2nd or 3rd team all NBA.

There are 15 players on the all-NBA team.

PG was all-NBA 3rd team last year and he will be 2nd or 3rd team this year.

He qualifies for the superbucks deal and Larry has said he will offer the max....

2 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

To be a designated player and get the 6-year extensions, you have to be 1st, 2nd or 3rd team all NBA.

He qualifies for the superbucks deal and Larry has said he will offer the max....

I think he makes 3rd team again. I got your point. He will never be 1st team because of LeBron but he is definitely 3rd team material easily.

9 minutes ago, Myles said:

I think you make great points, but the idea of going to the "hometown" team is a big variable.   The Lakers could be much better next year.  

I'm OK with the Pacers not making any deals at this trade deadline.   I think the current roster should be much better than they are.   The coach needs to step it up.

I agree that the Lakers could be MUCH better next year if Magic gets to work....

......If he calls Melo and Durant personaly and makes a recruiting pitch........they have to listen..

..and I agree that we are better than 1-game over .500...

////By the way....I hear that folks assume that Gordon Hayward is going to leave Utah and go to Boston to play for his old college coach.

But is there any chance he'd like to come back and play in Indianapolis? That would change things too

Edited by oldunclemark
spelling

9 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

He won't be this year. He is behind Lebron, Durant, Leonard, Butler, Griffen, Green, and Super G from Milwaukee...I don't see it happening in my opinion....but who knows he shouldn't have been last year either.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

He won't be this year. He is behind Lebron, Durant, Leonard, Butler, Griffen, Green, and Super G from Milwaukee...I don't see it happening in my opinion....but who knows he shouldn't have been last year either.

I think he will but I see what you are saying. I think he is better than Butler and Griffin anyway. Griffin has been injured alot this season. Leonard is having a career year so it is possible he gets left off. I am not sure the voters will vote Greek Freak over PG either?

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Really....LBJ, Durant and Kawai should be ahead of him but Blake Griffin has missed a ton of time.

Jimmy Butler wan not all-NBA last year.

..and Draymond Green?...come on. Paul George is better than Draymond Green

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

Really....LBJ, Durant and Kawai should be ahead of him but Blake Griffin has missed a ton of time.

Jimmy Butler wan not all-NBA last year.

..and Draymond Green?...come on. Paul George is better than Draymond Green

Yeah if I had to bet, George makes his usual 3rd team. He is without a doubt a Top 15 player in the league regardless.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think he will but I see what you are saying. I think he is better than Butler and Griffin anyway. Griffin has been injured alot this season. Leonard is having a career year so it is possible he gets left off. I am not sure the voters will vote Greek Freak over PG either?

What about Anthony Davis or Gordon Haywood...could throw those in too. Just saying it's no lock and I honestly don't see him as top 6

..and if the rules state that you only need to be all-NBA 2 of the last 3 years that you actually played a significant portion of the season in (I dont know the rules about that) then Paul George is eligible for designated player status right now.

he's have to turn down year 2 extra years at $35 mil to go to weaker team in a stronger conference.

Do you see that as a real possibility?  

All that said this team won't get better. He will be gone. What's point of getting 42 million if your team sucks...he sees Melo. Might as well get 32 million in LA playing in home town with a team that can surround talent around you. We can't offer that. No money for FA and picks in the 20s....it's not happening. He is gone next offseason.

Just now, oldunclemark said:

..and if the rules state that you only need to be all-NBA 2 of the last 3 years that you actually played a significant portion of the season in (I dont know the rules about that) then Paul George is eligible for designated player status right now.

he's have to turn down year 2 extra years at $35 mil to go to weaker team in a stronger conference.

I am not really sure what the rules are so I don't really know what actually qualifies him for what.

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

All that said this team won't get better. He will be gone. What's point of getting 42 million if your team sucks...he sees Melo. Might as well get 32 million in LA playing in home town with a team that can surround talent around you. We can't offer that. No money for FA and picks in the 20s....it's not happening. He is gone next offseason.

well...we obviously don't suck...and lets wait and see if the Lakers can get the player they want. Magic Johnson is a problem. But I'm optimistic

Edited by oldunclemark
spelling

Why weaker team? We are at best a 6 seed. We have no moveable pieces evident by this trade deadline and we will end up with crappy draft picks late in the draft. Who wouldn't go to LA to play with Russell, Ingram, and Randle and whomever they get this year plus all the money to throw at another star...or stay here to play with who...Myles? Who else? Nobody....Stuckey?? Ellis?? Old man Jefferson?? Oh yeah Young who we gave our 1st rd pick up this year for. We won't exceed luxury tax and we don't have draft position to improve. Team has maxed out. Time for a rebuild.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Why weaker team? We are at best a 6 seed. We have no moveable pieces evident by this trade deadline and we will end up with crappy draft picks late in the draft. Who wouldn't go to LA to play with Russell, Ingram, and Randle and whomever they get this year plus all the money to throw at another star...or stay here to play with who...Myles? Who else? Nobody....Stuckey?? Ellis?? Old man Jefferson?? Oh yeah Young who we gave our 1st rd pick up this year for. We won't exceed luxury tax and we don't have draft position to improve. Team has maxed out. Time for a rebuild.

You know the Lakers are the 13th seed in the West, right?

They have a lot of kids....the Lakers are much weaker than we are

Just now, oldunclemark said:

They have a lot of kids....the Lakers are weaker than we are

Yeah...Lakers have never been able to get FAs. What was I thinking. Lakers are 13th because they are tanking on purpose to keep their protected draft pick. Everyone knows this.

They have a lot of kids....the Lakers are much weaker than we are

they would be a lot better with PG though

if you took him away from the pacers this is a lottery team too

plus its the lakers, they can get the really good free agents when the time is right

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/2018/

these are the FA.  I'm sure Durant and Boogie will be targeted by LA. Nobody knows the future....but I can make a pretty good bet that LA in 2018 will look a whole lot better than Indy....it would take a very fortuitous offseason for us to make a leap...we aren't better than Cleveland or even Boston anytime soon....thus not competing for championships any time soon. We have an owner that would never go over the cap a roster we couldn't even give away half these guys....Paul claimed he wanted us to compete and what moves did we make to make him happy??? None...and not for lack of trying. Nobody wants anything on this team but Myles and PG.

4 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

they would be a lot better with PG though

if you took him away from the pacers this is a lottery team too

plus its the lakers, they can get the really good free agents when the time is right

Recent history does not show that,,..and the 'time' has to be next year to get PG.

I dodn think he's going to a 30-win team, do you?

The extra 2 years at $35 mil.....?    That doesn't matter?   Really?

There's not a good argument for Paul to go to the Lakers next year. There just isn't?

If I could have got the two Brooklyn picks from Boston plus a player (bradley, Crowder, Brown) I would have done it. Brooklyn picks will be top 4 next two years combine those guys with Myles and the cap space opened up and we have s chance in about 3 years to compete (after Lebron). Thing is I don't think Boston would trade them not because PG isn't worth it....he is...but because Boston thinks he is going to LA too...just the fact. He will walk on us I hope you realize that. He ain't selling his Nike shoes in Indy.

the extra 2 years at $35 mil.....?    That doesn't matter?   Really?

There's not a good argument for Paul to go to the Lakers next year. There just isn't?

hes getting a lot of money regardless

taking 27 mil a year as the lesser option is more than enough

durant didnt seem to stress the money either

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/2018/

these are the FA.  I'm sure Durant and Boogie will be targeted by LA. Nobody knows the future....but I can make a pretty good bet that LA in 2018 will look a whole lot better than Indy....it would take a very fortuitous offseason for us to make a leap...we aren't better than Cleveland or even Boston anytime soon....thus not competing for championships any time soon. We have an owner that would never go over the cap a roster we couldn't even give away half these guys....Paul claimed he wanted us to compete and what moves did we make to make him happy??? None...and not for lack of trying. Nobody wants anything on this team but Myles and PG.

Cousins isn't leaving New Orleans..he just got there..

Durant? That's a possibility...but only if they win it all.

But if the Lakers miss on those 2....who else is there. Melo. ?

The Lakers immediate prospects aren't good .

Lets get real. How is going to LA and facing Golden State and San Antonio competing for a title?

......He isn't going to leave a superior team for an inferior team for less money in a tougher conference.

Makes no sense.

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

hes getting a lot of money regardless

taking 27 mil a year as the lesser option is more than enough

durant didnt seem to stress the money either

Durant didnt sacrifice. Same rules were not in play last year.

I want you to call up Paul George and tell him to forget about those 2 extra years at $35 mil because what he makes is more than enough for him, in your opinion

6 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Recent history does not show that,,..and the 'time' has to be next year to get PG.

I dodn think he's going to a 30-win team, do you?

The extra 2 years at $35 mil.....?    That doesn't matter?   Really?

No good argument? I give up. He has told EVERYONE he wants to go to LA and play for his hometown Lakers and his fathers idol Magic. He made a demand that we put together a team capable of competing or he is headed to LA. Well let me know when we will compete. Paul plus that young roster is everybjt as good as us if not better and add another superstar and that will be a very good team. Sorry I love my Pacers but facts are facts. Colts will compete for championship before Pacers....and that should tell you a lot.

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

Durant didnt sacrifice. Same rules were not in play last year.

I want you to call up Paul George and tell him to forget about those 2 extra years at $35 mil because what he makes is more than enough for him, in your opinion

you say the lakers are far from a title which may be true

but so are the pacers!  we cant get past lebron, or the warriors either