Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2016-2017 Indiana Pacers season (and the rest of the NBA)

11 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

Don't see how this can be on all on Nate. Bird has to take some of it for not putting defense on this roster. The players as well for not protecting the lead.

You saw the Cavs blow that huge lead to the Hawks late in the regular season. Stuff like this happens. I definitely wasn't surprised.

Yeah Bird kind of frustrates me also.  Some people I know praise him WAY too much for building these so called mediocre teams.  Thing is Bird does what he wants, he leaves when he wants and won't take any responsibility. 

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

Don't see how this can be on all on Nate. Bird has to take some of it for not putting defense on this roster. The players as well for not protecting the lead.

You saw the Cavs blow that huge lead to the Hawks late in the regular season. Stuff like this happens. I definitely wasn't surprised.

This loss was not about the roster.  It was about the style and speed of play.  That is on Nate.

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

This loss was not about the roster.  It was about the style and speed of play.  That is on Nate.

It was the fact that we didn't play defense in the second half and let them hit every 3 they took. First half defense was pretty good so it is mostly on the players to continue putting in the effort and not slacking just because they are up big.

15 minutes ago, Malakai432 said:

Yeah Bird kind of frustrates me also.  Some people I know praise him WAY too much for building these so called mediocre teams.  Thing is Bird does what he wants, he leaves when he wants and won't take any responsibility. 

Bird has gotten too much rope because he is a local boy.

Fresh management and coaching with fresh ideas is what this team needs. 

6 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I kind of agree however he did put together two championship caliber teams that may have went to a finals if it hadn't been for LeBron. And this is in a town that doesn't get to acquire marquee free agents.

But he took the identity of the team away when he let the defensive pieces go and signed players like Ellis and Al Jefferson. I think he has learned from his mistakes and knows he has to find 3 and D guys.

Didnt get to sse the game..

guess I was lucky..huh?

Worst loss in many years..cant remember a worse one..  Missed shots...defensive collapse....

Cavs made open shots..we didn't...

Should be ahead in this series...but we must couldnt play under pressure

we have to get guys who can make open shots at the 3-line

Sounded like they let Lance shoot..and let Myles Turner shoot...where was CJ Miles?

2 hours ago, Jules said:

I guess it is what it is in the end.

Spurs lost tonight too, interesting......

Back in October I kept telling everyone it would be Warriors/Cavs LOL. It has always been obvious to me. Tonight was very frustrating though being a Pacers fan because not only did we blow a 25 point lead but I really felt like the REFS did a number on us as well. It is what it is like you said though. Cavs have so many weapons that you cant really stop them from scoring, same for the Warriors. I can see a nice 6 or 7 game series between those 2 again in the end.

Like watching the superbowl all over again? That was trash.. I wish the LeBron's had played the Bulls..

Anyway, Warriors in 5 at oracle hoist the trophy.. sucks when the 2nd best player in the world sits out, his backup is out, and your backup PG in out... and you still win by 30.

9 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

It was the fact that we didn't play defense in the second half and let them hit every 3 they took. First half defense was pretty good so it is mostly on the players to continue putting in the effort and not slacking just because they are up big.

That sounds like coaching.

I think it was coaching because Nate took his foot off the gas in the second half.   The Pacers scored only 40 points in the second half.  

1 hour ago, MTC said:

I didn't want to post my post-game reaction, would have been too long of a rant.

Anyhow, this team needs a major rebuild.

I don't think that is the answer.  A small market team that cannot lure top talent cannot build from scratch very easily.   With a good coach, this team may only be a piece or 2 away from a top 3 team in the East.  

However, a complete rebuild could mean that we have a poor season and get a top 5 pick in the draft.   I think that is the easiest way to become a top team in the league.   Tough to do when you average around the 20th pick in the draft.  

17 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think the best team the Pacers ever had was 1998. They went 58-24 that season and wasn't intimidated at all by Chicago. By then Reggie had already had his battles with teams like NY and Orlando who were really good teams. The Pacers had a tough frontline with both Davis's and Rik was an Offensive force. Reggie could also at least score enough too to offset Jordan somewhat. He got in Jordan's head a few times, not many can do that. Pacers won every home game in that series but Chicago had HCA and protected it in Game 7.

I totally agree with you.  If that Pacers team didn't run into the Bulls in 98 they win the title.  If that same Pacers team played in the 2000 finals, they win the title.  Sucks you guys are down 0-3.  I can't believe the Cavs came back down 26 points without Irving and Love.  All I've heard today is how LeBron single handily won that game.  I thought you guys had that wrapped up!  Probably a sweep now.

3 hours ago, Myles said:

That sounds like coaching.

I think it was coaching because Nate took his foot off the gas in the second half.   The Pacers scored only 40 points in the second half.  

Man the players have to take responsibility too. All the coach can say is to keep being aggressive. It's up to the players to go execute. I would hate being a coach. Everything gets blamed on you. 

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I don't think that is the answer.  A small market team that cannot lure top talent cannot build from scratch very easily.   With a good coach, this team may only be a piece or 2 away from a top 3 team in the East.  

However, a complete rebuild could mean that we have a poor season and get a top 5 pick in the draft.   I think that is the easiest way to become a top team in the league.   Tough to do when you average around the 20th pick in the draft.  

This team needs to be bad enough to get a high lottery pick. Can't settle for mediocrity season after season with the current roster/coach.

13 hours ago, chad72 said:

Exactly! Same guy who took Plumlee over Draymond Green, then left for a year due to "back issues". The McMillan hire was awful, and there is no reason, with this roster, that they were a .500 team during the regular season. I still look at Boston, and their roster, and am in disbelief they won 52 games. Give Brad Stevens, or any sort of a good/competent coach, this roster and they are sitting at worst #2 right now. The meltdown last night was beyond frustrating and is clear McMillan isn't the right guy. I mean seriously, watching game 2 and seeing Stephenson get abused by Love over and over while McMillan just watched for a period of 4 minutes or so was more than enough for me. 

1 hour ago, Bluefire4 said:

Man the players have to take responsibility too. All the coach can say is to keep being aggressive. It's up to the players to go execute. I would hate being a coach. Everything gets blamed on you. 

I agree to a point.    Missing shots is mostly on the players, the style and speed of the offense is mostly on the coach.   I didn't see Nate call timeout and tell the team to pick it up.  

1 hour ago, runthepost said:

Get rid of Thad, Ellis, and Jefferson and that frees up cap space. All three of those guys are useless anyway

This isn't the NFL. A good part of NBA player salaries are guaranteed. We'll be eating a lot of dead cap space releasing these three. Trades would be a lot better though they won't happen.

1 hour ago, RockThatBlue said:

Where does last night rank in Pacers losses? I don't know if its the worst ever, but it has to be top 3 at least. Theres not much worse than blowing an almost 30 point lead. That is BAD.

I would probably say the worse loss I have ever seen as a Pacers fan was in the 1994 ECFinals vs NY (Game 6). We were up 3-2 with a chance to advance to the Finals at our place, Reggie just took the air out of NY in NY with his 25 point 4th Qtr. They had no confidence and even Spike Lee thought the Knicks were dead ducks at that point. The Pacers were undefeated at home in the Playoffs up to that point as well. NY barely beat us in Game 6, then barely beat us in Game 7 as well back in NY. That was tough to take. I also think losing Game 1 at Miami in the 2013 ECFinals at the buzzer was real bad. If the Pacers win that, they probably beat Miami in 6 the way George, West, and Hibbert were playing. Losing Game 7 at Chicago in the 1998 ECFinals hurt too because that was our best team but we lost to the GOAT so I think the first 2 were worse.

I put last night in my Top 5 though, that was awful to blow a lead like that.

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would probably say the worse loss I have ever seen as a Pacers fan was in the 1994 ECFinals vs NY (Game 6). We were up 3-2 with a chance to advance to the Finals at our place, Reggie just took the air out of NY in NY with his 25 point 4th Qtr. They had no confidence and even Spike Lee thought the Knicks were dead ducks at that point. The Pacers were undefeated at home in the Playoffs up to that point as well. NY barely beat us in Game 6, then barely beat us in Game 7 as well back in NY. That was tough to take. I also think losing Game 1 at Miami in the 2013 ECFinals at the buzzer was real bad. If the Pacers win that, they probably beat Miami in 6 the way George, West, and Hibbert were playing. Losing Game 7 at Chicago in the 1998 ECFinals hurt too because that was our best team but we lost to the GOAT so I think the first 2 were worse.

I put last night in my Top 5 though, that was awful to blow a lead like that.

CBE..

.......This was the worst loss I have seen ANY NBA team have in at least 20 years.

..considering that it was a pivotal playoff game..and the Cavs rallied without 2 all-stars...on our home court..and basically ended our season.

20 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Back in October I kept telling everyone it would be Warriors/Cavs LOL. It has always been obvious to me. Tonight was very frustrating though being a Pacers fan because not only did we blow a 25 point lead but I really felt like the REFS did a number on us as well. It is what it is like you said though. Cavs have so many weapons that you cant really stop them from scoring, same for the Warriors. I can see a nice 6 or 7 game series between those 2 again in the end.

I hope someone new squeaks in still to ruin that finals but I am mentally prepared for it nonetheless. Both teams though would deserve it too IMO if they got there this year again.

You know what shocked me the most about the Pacers blown lead and Cavs comeback? How many free throws the Cavs missed and especially LEBRON and they still win. Just omg.......I don't expect that to happen again but WOW. I am kinda anal at times about FTs. I just noticed it was so odd how Lebron was struggling with FTs (which he usually makes most of them but misses the occasional) and I thought something was wrong with him but there wasn't since he could shoot the ball just fine clearly.

I guess if the Pacers are to win a game it's going to be game 4........well one more try. lmao It's now or never.

I would not feel bad either. This was the draw from hell to get the Cavs in the first round.

3 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Bulls are not close to being the same without Rondo..

..what a break for Boston

Very very good bounce back win for Boston. I also read KG sent the team an inspirational message for the pre game. 

Rondo being out indefinitely with the broken thumb is HUGE though. Wonder when he comes back since they need him like you said.......

IF Boston evens this up 2-2 then uh oh........mama there goes that man!

4 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

CBE..

.......This was the worst loss I have seen ANY NBA team have in at least 20 years.

..considering that it was a pivotal playoff game..and the Cavs rallied without 2 all-stars...on our home court..and basically ended our season.

All you can sometimes say about Lebron is "Mama there goes that man!".

Sorry I am fixated tonight on that saying. lmao 

In all honesty though, it was a pretty bad loss. I wasn't even paying close attention and was reading some stuff non sports related until sometime in the 4th since I thought it was easily over with and that the Cavs would lose. And then in the 4th it's like Lebron is out there working his aazz off with Kyrie and Love playing checkers on the sideline and I was like what?

Oh and yeah I will give an apology for always picking on Kyle Korver, he has been OK at times hitting some big shots......for some reason though he looks like the easy dude to pick on since he used to look like Ashton Kutcher when he was young.

I think the Pacers need a new coach. I don't even know if it would be good for the Pacers to win a game and "save grace" here if everyone wants major changes.

I have also heard rumors that Paul George wants to go to the Lakers if he leaves but not sure if that will happen or if it's true in any way. I think L.A. looks a bit more attractive now since Magic took them over and they may get Lonzo Ball too.

8 hours ago, Jules said:

I hope someone new squeaks in still to ruin that finals but I am mentally prepared for it nonetheless. Both teams though would deserve it too IMO if they got there this year again.

You know what shocked me the most about the Pacers blown lead and Cavs comeback? How many free throws the Cavs missed and especially LEBRON and they still win. Just omg.......I don't expect that to happen again but WOW. I am kinda anal at times about FTs. I just noticed it was so odd how Lebron was struggling with FTs (which he usually makes most of them but misses the occasional) and I thought something was wrong with him but there wasn't since he could shoot the ball just fine clearly.

I guess if the Pacers are to win a game it's going to be game 4........well one more try. lmao It's now or never.

I would not feel bad either. This was the draw from hell to get the Cavs in the first round.

Very very good bounce back win for Boston. I also read KG sent the team an inspirational message for the pre game. 

Rondo being out indefinitely with the broken thumb is HUGE though. Wonder when he comes back since they need him like you said.......

IF Boston evens this up 2-2 then uh oh........mama there goes that man!

Just don't see anyone ruining it, I do think Washington can give the Cavs a scare but I say Cavs in 6 or 7 there. Spurs Very Good but I cant see them beating the Warriors 4 games in a series, that would probably go 6. Rockets are like a darkhorse because they have a lot of scoring punch but they don't play Defense at all. Cavs can get away with playing badly on Defense because they have LeBron. Rockets have their hands full with OKC as well. OKC just beat them last night, that series may go 7?

14 hours ago, Jules said:

All you can sometimes say about Lebron is "Mama there goes that man!".

Sorry I am fixated tonight on that saying. lmao 

In all honesty though, it was a pretty bad loss. I wasn't even paying close attention and was reading some stuff non sports related until sometime in the 4th since I thought it was easily over with and that the Cavs would lose. And then in the 4th it's like Lebron is out there working his aazz off with Kyrie and Love playing checkers on the sideline and I was like what?

Oh and yeah I will give an apology for always picking on Kyle Korver, he has been OK at times hitting some big shots......for some reason though he looks like the easy dude to pick on since he used to look like Ashton Kutcher when he was young.

I think the Pacers need a new coach. I don't even know if it would be good for the Pacers to win a game and "save grace" here if everyone wants major changes.

I have also heard rumors that Paul George wants to go to the Lakers if he leaves but not sure if that will happen or if it's true in any way. I think L.A. looks a bit more attractive now since Magic took them over and they may get Lonzo Ball too.

I just think the 'default' positon for fans and media is: 'Fire the coach'

We fired the coach last year.  'We' ALWAYS want major changes. 

We've been . 500 for 2 years but once you fire everybody and trade off good players...you wont be .500./

You can go to the bottom of the ocean and sleep with the fishes for a few years.

Sacramento, Philadelphia...Milwaukee..Knicks...Lakers....how long have they been down?

I sure don't want to do that..

We have a good core. We need perimeter shooters an a true center..

Its up to Larry to get them...I think he can