Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Was Reitz left alone to block Miller with 1:55 left in the 4th?

zibby43

Lots of bad play calling on offense yesterday, including that play. With Ware out, chipping or even double teaming Miller should have been a no brainer. 

With the Broncos blitzing so heavily, Chud had a dozen opportunities to call a screen play to take advantage of their aggressiveness. No screens until some weak tries late in the game. 

With Luck being a little off -- lots of missed throws and a handful of missed hots, that I saw; in fairness, some missed opportunities by receivers as well, including Allen going T-Rex on the pass up the middle -- Chud could have called some bubble screens to get some easy completions. Never did, not once.

When Luck went through his dry spells -- long, ugly dry spells -- some quick hitters were in order. Several passing plays had no hot option.

With the DL getting their hands on a handful of passes at the line, the OL could have cut the edges for some quick slants. Never did, not once.

Chud called a Bruce Arians game yesterday, and I mean a Bad Bruce Arians game... Yeah, Luck was off and the line struggled to protect at the end and Gore missed holes in the running game and all of that... but Chud had opportunities to try to get the team going, and he blew them all. 

15 hours ago, dw49 said:

I believe Luck's job is to change the protection if he's sees a blitz coming. That's where Miller lines up very play.. no ? Why would it be up to Luck to put a formation in that gives Reitz help ? 

Bc in an obvious passing situation with Von Miller coming at you there should be a RB there to chip block. How many times did Reitz give up a sack or allow pressure?

9 hours ago, Gavin said:

All three sacks were on Reitz. Just bad technique, over set on one play. never got his hands up or extended in proper position on any of the sacks allowed. When he got his hands up he was fine on multiple other plays. He had some good blocks one on one with Miller. 

The bad technique is on Reitz AND Philbin. That's just fundamentals.

9 minutes ago, masterlock said:

The bad technique is on Reitz AND Philbin. That's just fundamentals.

A coach can only teach so much He cant make the player use what he is taught to improve his game. Also Reitz had no help. That's on Chud as much as Reitz

18 hours ago, zibby43 said:

If so, my next question is, why would you leave an average RT on an island to block one of the greatest pass rushers in the last decade?

No tight end chip?  No RB chip?

The coaching staff had wayyy too much faith in Reitz in that critical, obvious passing situation at that point in the game.

It's not rocket science, either.

Yes our coach again. He doesn't know he's doing.

I think if the Colts needed to get the running going too, 44 rushing from Gore was never really going to be enough. It was so obvious going into this game we were going to be throwing the football a huge amount, into an excellent Denver secondary while the oline had to hold an outstanding pass rush. I mean Wade Phillips knew this was obvious more than anybody and relentlessly went after Luck in the first half. Last year Luck had his best game ironically against Denver, but it was when Chud called a more balanced offense strategy with a commitment to running the football. We should have laid down a marker in the first half that we were ready to take on this Denver defense physically and aggressively.

Taking out the best player worked really well against Watt in Houston but I couldnt believe Reitz was on an island out there and it was easy to see that Miller had a clear line before the snap since there was no TE or RB to at least chip.

Luck had a 15 yard pass if only he had a second more, Thats the game but it drives me crazy

1 hour ago, superrep1967 said:

No But if he sees something like the best pass rusher in the league with a single blocker like Reitz move someone over to help things like that. 

No timeouts. What's he supposed to do?

The OC calls the plays. The QB adjusts the protections. The offensive play calling, especially in specific situations, is on the OC, and to whatever extent, the QB.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

No timeouts. What's he supposed to do?

The OC calls the plays. The QB adjusts the protections. The offensive play calling, especially in specific situations, is on the OC, and to whatever extent, the QB.

No doubt it's on the OC , not Pagano. Pretty tough to blame Luck as his job really isn't to change a formation at the LOS. If he's sees a blitzer , yes he changes the protection . But thats where Miller was lining up the whole game and it's not Luck's job to say " Chud is crazy with this formation" , I need to change . Impossible for Chuck to have saved the day. What could he possibly do at that point in time.

The only possible case you could make against Chuck is saying he should have told Chud before that last drive to not leave ritz one on one to block Miller. Considering how much Miller was abusing Reitz and that we had to throw the ball down the field (time and distance) , it's not crazy to say maybe he should have. But you would think our OC should have figured that one out ?

12 minutes ago, dw49 said:

The only possible case you could make against Chuck is saying he should have told Chud before that last drive to not leave ritz one on one to block Miller. Considering how much Miller was abusing Reitz and that we had to throw the ball down the field (time and distance) , it's not crazy to say maybe he should have. But you would think our OC should have figured that one out ?

I agree with you.

But what one name do you think came up more than any other in offensive meetings last week? If Chud didn't know where Miller was tending to line up, and if he didn't know that his play call would leave Reitz one-on-one with the most recent SB MVP, probably the most potent edge rusher in the game, then that's on Chud. Big picture, all coaching decisions fall on the head coach, and that's fine, but it's really on Chud, and we all know why.

I do think Luck has some authority to change plays at the line, especially if he sees something wrong. I'm not looking for a way to put this on Luck, but he would be more responsible for making the adjustment than Pagano. Once the play is called, it's out of Pagano's hands, especially with no timeouts.

12 minutes ago, Superman said:

I agree with you.

But what one name do you think came up more than any other in offensive meetings last week? If Chud didn't know where Miller was tending to line up, and if he didn't know that his play call would leave Reitz one-on-one with the most recent SB MVP, probably the most potent edge rusher in the game, then that's on Chud. Big picture, all coaching decisions fall on the head coach, and that's fine, but it's really on Chud, and we all know why.

I do think Luck has some authority to change plays at the line, especially if he sees something wrong. I'm not looking for a way to put this on Luck, but he would be more responsible for making the adjustment than Pagano. Once the play is called, it's out of Pagano's hands, especially with no timeouts.

That's a good point.. Miller could have moved if Chud sent out a formation giving Reitz help. So you do have a point that maybe Luck should have moved a TE or RB to chip Miller.

Ya know .. bottom line is Denver has more talent than Indy. We were lucky to be that close and crazy thing is they also had the benefit of 2 very bad PI calls that cost the Colts FG's . Did you see Thomas laugh and wink to a teammate after doing an acting job on last PI call ?

53 minutes ago, dw49 said:

That's a good point.. Miller could have moved if Chud sent out a formation giving Reitz help. So you do have a point that maybe Luck should have moved a TE or RB to chip Miller.

Ya know .. bottom line is Denver has more talent than Indy. We were lucky to be that close and crazy thing is they also had the benefit of 2 very bad PI calls that cost the Colts FG's . Did you see Thomas laugh and wink to a teammate after doing an acting job on last PI call ?

I did see that from DT. I haven't complained about the bad PI calls because the defense gave up just as many first downs with shoddy tackling, but those PI calls hurt big time, especially since they were bogus.

32 minutes ago, Superman said:

I did see that from DT. I haven't complained about the bad PI calls because the defense gave up just as many first downs with shoddy tackling, but those PI calls hurt big time, especially since they were bogus.

Yes and the DB's actually defended those 2 plays perfectly. 

On 9/19/2016 at 1:53 AM, LJpalmbeacher said:

That is the difference between good coaching and bad. A good coach will put his players in a situation to succeed, while a Bad, Stupid coach will set up a player for FAILURE.

It's bad to compare Pagano and Bilichick, the two are on different football IQ planets.  

On September 19, 2016 at 2:15 AM, dw49 said:

I believe Luck's job is to change the protection if he's sees a blitz coming. That's where Miller lines up very play.. no ? Why would it be up to Luck to put a formation in that gives Reitz help ? 

Miller lines up pretty much where he wants.