Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

All things Frank Gore (Merge)

bap1331

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Gore is running fine so far this year.  he's hitting the holes, he's finding creases, he's lowering his shoulder and not getting knocked backwards.  Where he seems to be showing his age is looking for that move at the 2nd level that turns a 4 yard gain into an 8 yard gain.

Because of that, if I were the coach, I would probably start with Turbin.  Let him bang his 230lbs in there on the first couple three drives.  The bring in Gore down at the goalline and the 2nd half, let him his use still natural running ability and veteran experience to get some nice gains on the ground and help keep 2nd and 3rd at more manageable distances.

Not that it is just that easy but that is how I'd play it.

8 hours ago, Gavin said:

We have 2 Backs that can run those plays. Our running backs are all talented from Gore on down to Todman. None of them are the real problem. Gore isn't a crafty Back though and he wont deviate from where the designed run is supposed to go. Turbin is more shifty and does a little more of that and even has more power. All our Backs can get outside and on pitch and catch. There is multiple layers to why we aren't running the ball well:

1. Lack of knee bend and getting under Defenders pads. Our O Lineman most of the time are not getting thrown around and tossed aside in the run game. They are however in a stalemate because of pad level

2.Hand placement is often times outside of shoulders with our O Lineman. The exception is Mewhort at times. Hands outside the shoulders allow for a D Lineman to get his hands up into the chest of an O Lineman

3.On combo blocks there has been times where the Center or Guard comes off the D Lineman late cause he has his head turned towards the D Lineman instead of up on the linebacker so the Guard comes off late to the Linebacker

4.Lack of commitment in Games/TC and most likely practices to I believe. If you don't get much practice of the fundamentals of run blocking you wont get better. You don't have to be the most physical or the strongest O Lineman to win because that's not what wins in the first place. Strength and physicality helps but ya cant win with it alone. Ya win with fundamentals

While I think you're onto something there, I think you'd agree that having a RB that can create on his own would be a huge upgrade. AP's are hard to fine but he's had incredible success behind a shaky Vikings OL for years. 

Like you said, Gore is basically one dimensional. Turbin is more versatile but we need a true lead back.  Even if we did run block better, I still stand by what I said earlier in that Turbin shouldn't get 15+ touches. He can get 10 touches but I think it's time the Colts have draft an elite RB. Maybe someone who can masks the flaws of the run game until we "get it fixed *Pagano voice*"

9 hours ago, Gavin said:

We have 2 Backs that can run those plays. Our running backs are all talented from Gore on down to Todman. None of them are the real problem. Gore isn't a crafty Back though and he wont deviate from where the designed run is supposed to go. Turbin is more shifty and does a little more of that and even has more power. All our Backs can get outside and on pitch and catch. There is multiple layers to why we aren't running the ball well:

4.Lack of commitment in Games/TC and most likely practices to I believe. If you don't get much practice of the fundamentals of run blocking you wont get better. You don't have to be the most physical or the strongest O Lineman to win because that's not what wins in the first place. Strength and physicality helps but ya cant win with it alone. Ya win with fundamentals

I think the chances that the Colts lack a commitment in game and training camp to border right around zero.

Is there a number less than zero?     I'd choose it if I could....

I don't know if it was you,  but a poster named Gavin explained to me how little actual hitting a team can do during a season.      11 practices with hitting in a 17 week season.       Astonishing but true.      The whole league is plagued by poor run blocking.     If you can't run and can't defend the run,  then it's just a vicious cycle.

Considering this team wants to run, and run effectively, why would there be no commitment to the running game.   Makes no sense at all.

One of the popular topics here is our constant slow starts.      It's not rocket science.     We try to establish a running game.     We give it 3-4 series,  and if we don't create something,  we pass more.     It's been that way for years.     But we try to run.....  we make a commitment to run,  but by the time we pass more,  we're typically behind on the scoreboard.

It's hard to get better fundamentals when the practice rules are so restrictive.    Most of our problems have been personnel.     Our current issue is that it will take some time for Philbin to work his magic.     Problems like this don't get fixed in a couple of weeks.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:
42 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think the chances that the Colts lack a commitment in game and training camp to border right around zero.

Is there a number less than zero?     I'd choose it if I could....

I don't know if it was you,  but a poster named Gavin explained to me how little actual hitting a team can do during a season.      11 practices with hitting in a 17 week season.       Astonishing but true.      The whole league is plagued by poor run blocking.     If you can't run and can't defend the run,  then it's just a vicious cycle.

Considering this team wants to run, and run effectively, why would there be no commitment to the running game.   Makes no sense at all.

One of the popular topics here is our constant slow starts.      It's not rocket science.     We try to establish a running game.     We give it 3-4 series,  and if we don't create something,  we pass more.     It's been that way for years.     But we try to run.....  we make a commitment to run,  but by the time we pass more,  we're typically behind on the scoreboard.

It's hard to get better fundamentals when the practice rules are so restrictive.    Most of our problems have been personnel.     Our current issue is that it will take some time for Philbin to work his magic.     Problems like this don't get fixed in a couple of weeks.

While I think you're onto something there, I think you'd agree that having a RB that can create on his own would be a huge upgrade. AP's are hard to fine but he's had incredible success behind a shaky Vikings OL for years. 

Like you said, Gore is basically one dimensional. Turbin is more versatile but we need a true lead back.  Even if we did run block better, I still stand by what I said earlier in that Turbin shouldn't get 15+ touches. He can get 10 touches but I think it's time the Colts have draft an elite RB. Maybe someone who can masks the flaws of the run game until we "get it fixed *Pagano voice*"

Good point about those 11 practices I brought up and the 3 in TC. Completely forgot about that. Cant do much hitting

7 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I think Gore is running fine so far this year.  he's hitting the holes, he's finding creases, he's lowering his shoulder and not getting knocked backwards.  Where he seems to be showing his age is looking for that move at the 2nd level that turns a 4 yard gain into an 8 yard gain.

Because of that, if I were the coach, I would probably start with Turbin.  Let him bang his 230lbs in there on the first couple three drives.  The bring in Gore down at the goalline and the 2nd half, let him his use still natural running ability and veteran experience to get some nice gains on the ground and help keep 2nd and 3rd at more manageable distances.

Not that it is just that easy but that is how I'd play it.

Gore may be slowing down a little bit, but his frame is better suited to taken punishment early IMO then use Turbin as your change up back after Frank has worn down the defense. 

So CD, I completely disagree with your assessment & would flip it. Gore wears down defenses early & then let Turbin punch the ball in the end zone later on within the 20 yard line. JMO. 

13 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Gore may be slowing down a little bit, but his frame is better suited to taken punishment early IMO then use Turbin as your change up back after Frank has worn down the defense. 

So CD, I completely disagree with your assessment & would flip it. Gore wears down defenses early & then let Turbin punch the ball in the end zone later on within the 20 yard line. JMO. 

I'm not sure how Gore's frame is better suited to taken punishment early?  But if that is what you think then more power to you.

And if Turbin is a change of pace back for Gore, then by definition Gore is a change of pace for Turbin.

On 9/22/2016 at 0:12 PM, Gavin said:

1. Lack of knee bend and getting under Defenders pads. Our O Lineman most of the time are not getting thrown around and tossed aside in the run game. They are however in a stalemate because of pad level

2.Hand placement is often times outside of shoulders with our O Lineman. The exception is Mewhort at times. Hands outside the shoulders allow for a D Lineman to get his hands up into the chest of an O Lineman

3.On combo blocks there has been times where the Center or Guard comes off the D Lineman late cause he has his head turned towards the D Lineman instead of up on the linebacker so the Guard comes off late to the Linebacker

god bless all internet scouts

On 10/1/2016 at 6:32 PM, SupermanLuck12 said:

Franks best years and days are well behind him. On most teams he would be a veteran backup. The Colts need to have a young back carrying the load and having a fresh and aged Gore coming off the bench for 5-8 carries per game.

That will happen NEXT year.      In case you haven't noticed,   and apparently, you haven't,  Gore is having one of the best starts to his career.     He's been better than anyone expected this year.

:facepalm:

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

That will happen NEXT year.      In case you haven't noticed,   and apparently, you haven't,  Gore is having one of the best starts to his career.     He's been better than anyone expected this year.

Just a shame we haven't been able to run the ball more and in the game we could run the ball more today we didn't because we have actually been running the ball well and the O Line is run blocking better

Just now, Gavin said:

Just a shame we haven't been able to run the ball more and in the game we could run the ball more today we didn't because we have actually been running the ball well and the O Line is run blocking better

For some odd reason we are run blocking really well in the first half,  and then the 2nd half it's back to poor run blocking.       Very strange.

But at least we're getting better.

Gore got one of three game balls today,  and he dedicated it to the two o-line coaches,  Philbin and Hunter.   And he capped it off by saying let's keep getting better.       If we can do that,  keep run blocking better,  then our offense will be a load to deal with.

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

NCF....appreciating the sentiment..that's not actually true.

Colt fans have low expectations for Frank Gore....outside of Indy, they don't...

....he's certain 1st ballot Hall-of_famer

..if we block well and give him the ball more than 14 times...he'll do very well.

I expected Frank Gore to gain 1,000 yards...and I still do

18 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

NCF....appreciating the sentiment..that's not actually true.

Colt fans have low expectations for Frank Gore....outside of Indy, they don't...

....he's certain 1st ballot Hall-of_famer

..if we block well and give him the ball more than 14 times...he'll do very well.

I expected Frank Gore to gain 1,000 yards...and I still do

I'm sorry, Mark.....    what's the "not true" part?

I'm a Gore fan.     I thought my post was supportive of Gore.   

We'll take a RB pretty high next year (2nd to 4th round) and he'll be the future lead back.    

I agree with your view of Gore as a future HoF back.      Given health,  Gore will indeed get more than 1,000 yards this year.      He's well on his way right now....    I've been talking him up every week but it's been overlooked because we've been losing.

Keep me in the Gore column....    I'm a big fan.    

Oh yeah for sure. We haven't had a 100 yard rusher in so long, that people (I feel) are forgetting how good Gore has been for us. Gore seems best when he's rested and gets in about 15 rushes a game. I mean look at the SD game. He came out guns blazing and kind of teetered off towards the end as his attempts went up. He's not what he was in SF, but when he's rested, he's nothing but excellent. Maybe he won't get us 100 yards, but he'll give the Colts some option in the run game. Currently on pace for 1049 yards. That would be quite good.

12 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Oh yeah for sure. We haven't had a 100 yard rusher in so long, that people (I feel) are forgetting how good Gore has been for us. Gore seems best when he's rested and gets in about 15 rushes a game. I mean look at the SD game. He came out guns blazing and kind of teetered off towards the end as his attempts went up. He's not what he was in SF, but when he's rested, he's nothing but excellent. Maybe he won't get us 100 yards, but he'll give the Colts some option in the run game. Currently on pace for 1049 yards. That would be quite good.

Over 1000 yards would be incredible at his age.

He passed a guy by the name of Jim Brown. I'm sure a few people have heard of him :D

What you have to appreciate is how Frank suits up over and over.  Yes, he sometimes limps off the field, and you find out later that he bruised his sternum and was playing in pain.  The guy just has a passion to play, and he shows over and over again that he still has the ability to get it done.  Frank proves that durability is a state of mind.

It's clear to me that while the Colts OL is not fully on the same page, or even close to dominant, it is much better than last year.  They need a little more time to get some consistency.  I could see the 100 yd mark fall this year and absolutely that 1k marks falls.  

1 minute ago, MOB said:

He needs more credit than the flak people give him. I really hope he can get a 100 yard rushing game this season, because damn he deserves it. One of the hardest working backs in the league and one of the most consistent.

If they gave him 5 or 6 more carries the last couple of games, he could have had two straight 100 yard games.

Hes had more 15+ yard gains this year than I can ever remember from him last year. 

Just now, RockThatBlue said:

If they gave him 5 or 6 more carries the last couple of games, he could have had two straight 100 yard games.

Hes had more 15+ yard gains this year than I can ever remember from him last year. 

He looks a lot better this year than he did last year, but it still feels like it isn't the case. I know he can get one, Indy just needs to stop falling behind so bad that Luck has to put the team on his back or completely abandon the run.

Not only is Frank Gore a great running back,  he's a good guy,  a classy guy.

Today,  he was awarded a game ball.      And he turned right around and gave it to Philbin and Hunter the two OL coaches....     he said the line is getting better and better and he hopes they can improve even more.

When Luck and others talk about how good Gore is in the locker room,  this is the perfect example.

You can win with guys like that......

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm sorry, Mark.....    what's the "not true" part?

I'm a Gore fan.     I thought my post was supportive of Gore.   

We'll take a RB pretty high next year (2nd to 4th round) and he'll be the future lead back.    

I agree with your view of Gore as a future HoF back.      Given health,  Gore will indeed get more than 1,000 yards this year.      He's well on his way right now....    I've been talking him up every week but it's been overlooked because we've been losing.

Keep me in the Gore column....    I'm a big fan.    

......its a small point

But you did said that "He's been better than ANYONE expected' 

Just for the record...I thought he'd be better than this..I thought he'd have more yards.than he does.

.......but we haven't given him the ball enough ...we've been behind in games so much....

.........and we've had to go with rookies in the line.

Today: 14 carries..75 yards is a good example....We're inside the 5-yard-line with a 1st down and we don't give him the ball........

He has 325 yards in 5 games..I really thought he'd have more

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

......its a small point

But you did said that "He's been better than ANYONE expected' 

Just for the record...I thought he'd be better than this..I thought he'd have more yards.than he does.

.......but we haven't given him the ball enough ...we've been behind in games so much....

.........and we've had to go with rookies in the line.

Today: 14 carries..75 yards is a good example....We're inside the 5-yard-line with a 1st down and we don't give him the ball........

He has 325 yards in 5 games..I really thought he'd have more

Fair enough.....    ANYONE was too broad a term...

How about....     better than a number of people here expected.....  

Better?