Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ESPN's Long Interview with Luck on Contract/Winning

NewColtsFan

So.....     with his new contract in hand,  Luck agreed to a very long interview with ESPN.       About the new deal and winning and being Andrew Luck,  etc.

This is a much longer piece than I normal link.      It's not a quick read,  or even a 5 minute read.      It's considerably longer.

But if that appeals to you,  and you find things about Luck fascinating,   then this is for you.      I would not consider this the definitive piece on Luck.     But rather a good look at Andrew at this moment in time.       Think you'll enjoy it!   

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/enterprise-Luck160907/indianapolis-colts-qb-andrew-luck-determined-prove-worth

He refuses to comment on this with me. But Christensen, his former coach, offers this startling anecdote: "We were playing Jacksonville; he played poorly the first quarter. He breaks a run and, instead of sliding, he runs dead into two linebackers. They pummel him. I ask him, 'What were you thinking?' He said, 'I'm playing so bad, I don't deserve to slide; I'm not a good enough QB; I deserve to get the crap knocked out of me.' I said, 'You were thinking all that on your run?' He says, 'Clyde, I stink, I'm sorry.' Always apologizing, always telling other position players, 'I'm going to play better.' "

Great Read! I like the way he sends positive affirmations out there.  

LUCK SAYS HE really wants to win a Super Bowl. He expects to win a Super Bowl, and he talks about it -- a lot. He has said those two words over and over this summer, in signing off phone calls with teammates, as a point of emphasis before closing his flip phone. "I feel it this year," he'd say. "I feel like we have a good thing going, now all we have to do is go and win a Super Bowl. Let's just win a Super Bowl."

Also, it's very cool that he helped design a children's museum addition.

I don't like that he doesn't slide because he feels he's playing badly and needs to be hit hard 

I'v always felt Peyton Manning would be great & he proved not only that he was but he did it on & off the field he made us all proud .

As I read this I was reminded I was a fan before he was drafted & after he became a Colt he like 18 makes those around him better , He  was exactly what we here in Indy needed after losing 18 , Andrew Luck has the weight of the sports world on his shoulders &  the expectations of a city & state to achieve great things it takes a special person he is that person  , He is a perfectionist he always feels like he can do better & it seems he is his worst critic .

He has given well over a 100% of himself each year he has been a Colt & many who criticize should read this story it was awesome & gives folks an opportunity to understand our QB , As a parent I'm greatly impressed with this young man, IMO he is way ahead of the game the kid is not a loser & he hates losing he takes it hard  so he gave up his body IMO now with better coaches surrounding him he will find another way to help his team win instead of punishing himself he will punish the apposing defenses .

He IMO with Chud's guidance will become the next great Colt of that I have no doubt , I'v spoken many times on these boards that IMO he is ahead of schedule when compared to Peyton Manning's first 4 seasons , 18 had a better team around him yet Luck has his first 3 seasons 11-5 , Some here on these boards expect greatness from day one yet ignore what he has already accomplished walking in the shadow of Peyton Manning .

I have always felt he is everything Peyton Manning is + , he is Peyton Manning 2.0 , At some point in the not to distant future he will prove it & everyone & his brother will claim I always knew he would be great & jump on the Luck bandwagon .

I'm happy to say I'v always been on board & while he may have had issues  last season it was'nt because he was'nt trying on the contrary he tried to hard , I expect greatness from 12 & I realize he does as well .

Our Cardiac Colts has had there ups & downs as a fan it has made the WINNING that much more exciting if it was easy to win in the NFL everyone would have a trophy , But this is not a kids sport where participation in this PC world means every one gets a trophy no this is a brutal sport where your season can end abruptly especially when you cannot protect the franchise .

The Colts franchise has a HOF QB in house just surround him with a offense that can protect him a top 10 defense & a running game & the sky is the limit .

I can't wait for Sunday to watch the next chapter unfold we are in the front row of NFL History we have been here before Thanks to Peyton Manning & here we are again Believe in the Blue . 

:colts:

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

So.....     with his new contract in hand,  Luck agreed to a very long interview with ESPN.       About the new deal and winning and being Andrew Luck,  etc.

This is a much longer piece than I normal link.      It's not a quick read,  or even a 5 minute read.      It's considerably longer.

But if that appeals to you,  and you find things about Luck fascinating,   then this is for you.      I would not consider this the definitive piece on Luck.     But rather a good look at Andrew at this moment in time.       Think you'll enjoy it!   

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/enterprise-Luck160907/indianapolis-colts-qb-andrew-luck-determined-prove-worth

I thank you kindly for sharing, I enjoyed the read. 

I think even the most die hard hater of the Colts and even Luck the player can't help but like Luck the person. 

Very cool story.  He's such a humble and talented guy, I can understand the vitriol towards the GM for not surrounding him with better talent.  I certainly feel that way and I know it's not always reasonable.

Dwayne Allen was on the radio recently being interviewed and of course they asked him about Luck.  How did he handle those bad games with the turnovers and sacks.  Allen said Andrew lets nothing phase him.  When he throws an INT, he's forgotten about it by the time he gets to the sidelines.  He just wants to know where he should have thrown, etc.  Always learning.

13 hours ago, Nadine said:

Great Read! I like the way he sends positive affirmations out there.  

Also, it's very cool that he helped design a children's museum addition.

I don't like that he doesn't slide because he feels he's playing badly and needs to be hit hard 

Agreed his attitude on sliding needs to change.  That's what coaching is for, to get him to understand, getting hit rather than sliding isn't about punishment for not playing well it's about making sure you can keep playing to make up for poor play.

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 0:46 PM, Everyone said:

He refuses to comment on this with me. But Christensen, his former coach, offers this startling anecdote: "We were playing Jacksonville; he played poorly the first quarter. He breaks a run and, instead of sliding, he runs dead into two linebackers. They pummel him. I ask him, 'What were you thinking?' He said, 'I'm playing so bad, I don't deserve to slide; I'm not a good enough QB; I deserve to get the crap knocked out of me.' I said, 'You were thinking all that on your run?' He says, 'Clyde, I stink, I'm sorry.' Always apologizing, always telling other position players, 'I'm going to play better.' "

I noticed this about him too. It always got on my nerves he was always saying "My bad etc over and over". Don't get me wrong. Its good to own up to your mistakes but he always seemed overly apologetic and so much so that it was like...yes it is your bad..now DO something about it instead of making the same mistake over and over. The running into LB thing I just thought it was a way to jolt him....get his head into the game. I know sometimes once you take a hit you wake up and can play freely...but man this is some dark stuff if this is all true. Not that I think he needs therapy or anything lol...but there are some things from a leadership style that I would like to see him change a bit. Very interesting quote you pulled up there. It gives me some insight on what is going on sometimes with him. Hopefully we've worked through some of those issues with him. Need a healthy clear headed Andrew this year.

23 hours ago, SilentHill said:

great article!

It was interesting to read that he thinks the coaches are not hard enough on him.

Peyton was the same way...he WANTED hard coaching...wanted to learn. If he felt he wasn't getting taught or coached he wanted someone else in there. That's a great quality. Watching someone wants opinions and ideas all the time and to get better no matter how great they are...just shows you the best always want to get better. Glad Andrew feels that way and hopefully he can take that next step in his game. He could be the best qb in the NFL if he just improves and tightens up a few more things.

17 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I noticed this about him too. It always got on my nerves he was always saying "My bad etc over and over". Don't get me wrong. Its good to own up to your mistakes but he always seemed overly apologetic and so much so that it was like...yes it is your bad..now DO something about it instead of making the same mistake over and over. The running into LB thing I just thought it was a way to jolt him....get his head into the game. I know sometimes once you take a hit you wake up and can play freely...but man this is some dark stuff if this is all true. Not that I think he needs therapy or anything lol...but there are some things from a leadership style that I would like to see him change a bit. Very interesting quote you pulled up there. It gives me some insight on what is going on sometimes with him. Hopefully we've worked through some of those issues with him. Need a healthy clear headed Andrew this year.

Yeah, I hope that aspect has been coached out of him.

1 hour ago, cbear said:

Great read!  Here's another article from Zak Keefer at the Star.  Excellent read as well.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2016/07/22/inside-story-andrew-lucks-disastrous-2015-season/87382606/

Thanks, CBear....

That was a very enjoyable read,  and it's the type of Luck story that I prefer.....      much more meat on the bones of this story......

I hope we see the best Andrew Luck we've ever seen.....    if we do,  we'll all enjoy 2016....

Saying he is an interesting guy is a gross understatement. I loved seeing a glimpse into his life off the field. I think success will come to him soon enough. He doesn't seem like the type of person to give up.

Also, I think he is a beautiful beast of a man, but that's just my opinion. haha

Thanks for sharing!