Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Building something special on defense?

CR91

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I don't think 3 more drafts are needed to field 11 defensive starters given what's already in place. Assuming we have 8 picks in '17 draft, select a CB, hopefully 2 pass rushers, maybe 1 or 2 DL for depth, but aside from that, they're closer than what most would think. And as far as the 4th, 5th, & 6th rounds go, that's what the majority of the league is made of, along with UDFAs. They actually make up about 60% of the league, and considering Grigson seems to have a knack at finding talent in those rounds, I'm all about it.

We don't have that much in place.

And I'm not talking about just filling in the starters.     I'm talking about building a defense with quality depth as well.      I'm not interested in building a good defense,   I'd like to build a great defense.     That takes investment in the draft and some time.

We're behind schedule because its taken Grigson longer than expected to build the offense.    So, the defense has suffered while we focused on the offense.     It's going to take time to build a defense.    Patience will be needed.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

We don't have that much in place.

And I'm not talking about just filling in the starters.     I'm talking about building a defense with quality depth as well.      I'm not interested in building a good defense,   I'd like to build a great defense.     That takes investment in the draft and some time.

We're behind schedule because its taken Grigson longer than expected to build the offense.    So, the defense has suffered while we focused on the offense.     It's going to take time to build a defense.    Patience will be needed.

You haven't even seen them play a game yet, may be wise to wait until we see the unit at full-strength, but the pipeline of youth that's starting to shape up should provide some optimism. Also, it's pretty rare that a great defense is built solely through the draft. You have to have some good free agents sprinkled in there, look at New England in '14 and Denver in '15.

55 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

You haven't even seen them play a game yet, may be wise to wait until we see the unit at full-strength, but the pipeline of youth that's starting to shape up should provide some optimism. Also, it's pretty rare that a great defense is built solely through the draft. You have to have some good free agents sprinkled in there, look at New England in '14 and Denver in '15.

Even if this year's defense surprises me (which I don't rule out)  that only means it will be average.

On this year's defense,  the only likely players who would be starting on our defense that goes to the Super Bowl would be the following...

DL:     Anderson,  Ridgeway

LB:     Morrison

DB:     Green and Geathers

CB:     Davis   (Maybe)

That's about it for starters.    The rest will be back-ups.

As for Free Agency,  I'm fine with that,  but we haven't shown that we know what we're doing in FA to the level of a Super Bowl defense.       We either strike out on expensive players,  or do pretty good on mid-level players.   But nothing to the level of a SB defense.

This isn't as easy as you think it is.....

Regardless of how good schematically this defense can be, they simply don't have the horses in place. Outside of Davis (in his 2014 form), there really isn't a true difference maker. Mathis might still be able to provide some semblance of a pass rush but expecting him to return to 2013 form is unrealistic. Geathers shows some promise to be a solid starter while Adams is serviceable but is on the wrong side of 30. Anderson and Langford are above average but are by no means elite-level players.

It's quite simple. If the Colts want to build a special defense, they need special players; something they don't have at the moment.

48 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

As for Free Agency,  I'm fine with that,  but we haven't shown that we know what we're doing in FA to the level of a Super Bowl defense.       We either strike out on expensive players,  or do pretty good on mid-level players.   But nothing to the level of a SB defense.

I think we should split this into 2 separate points because I agree with part but disagree with part. lol

I disagree that the Colts haven't shown they know what they're doing in FA defensively.  But I do agree that they haven't shown that they're going to build a SB caliber defense through FA.  The thing is though, I don't think they've been trying to build a SB level defense in their FA pickups.  I think they've been trying to find quality role players and stop gaps to keep us afloat while they built the offense through the draft, which as you pointed out in another post has taken longer than expected, which has delayed the building of the defense.

1 hour ago, Jason_S said:

I think we should split this into 2 separate points because I agree with part but disagree with part. lol

I disagree that the Colts haven't shown they know what they're doing in FA defensively.  But I do agree that they haven't shown that they're going to build a SB caliber defense through FA.  The thing is though, I don't think they've been trying to build a SB level defense in their FA pickups.  I think they've been trying to find quality role players and stop gaps to keep us afloat while they built the offense through the draft, which as you pointed out in another post has taken longer than expected, which has delayed the building of the defense.

Put another way.....    we're not building a SB defense with Langford, DQJ,  Adams, Walden and Robinson.     A SB defense needs lots of better pieces than those guys.....

By the way, for a stop-gap defense,  I like those guys.    But we need more horses!    (Pun somewhat intended!)

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Put another way.....    we're not building a SB defense with Langford, DQJ,  Adams, Walden and Robinson.     A SB defense needs lots of better pieces than those guys.....

By the way, for a stop-gap defense,  I like those guys.    But we need more horses!    (Pun somewhat intended!)

I agree about DQ and adams, no opinion of Robinson yet, but disagree about Walden and especially Langford. I think they're good enough (Walden as a depth piece) but given their age and how behind they are with building the defense, neither of those guys will be able to be a part of the long term plan.

7 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

I agree about DQ and adams, no opinion of Robinson yet, but disagree about Walden and especially Langford. I think they're good enough (Walden as a depth piece) but given their age and how behind they are with building the defense, neither of those guys will be able to be a part of the long term plan.

Yes,  that is part of my meaning as well.    By the time the rest of the pieces are in place,  those guys will likely not be in our starting rotation.      They may still be with us as depth....    but that's down the road a ways,  so who knows?

13 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Really?  There were no better options out there then moving Okine to OLB and signing Magget as an UDFA?

I still think they should have kicked the tires on Upshaw. He went to the Falcons on a 1 year deal. Other than that, there weren't any good options 

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

I still think they should have kicked the tires on Upshaw. He went to the Falcons on a 1 year deal. Other than that, there weren't any good options 

I for one was happy we stayed away from Upshaw. I was concerned Monachino might want to bring him along. Upshaw is a 2 down OLB in a 3-4. He might.be better suited forr a 4-3. He consistently shown no ability to get to the QB. 

There wasn't much there in the draft or FA.  I thought we should have grabbed our future at SAM at 62 Jordan Jenkins but we took Clark NYJ get Jenkins the next pick. 

Ayers was a sneaky pick up that could pay off in the 3-4 and the deal with Maggitt is his health. Both are young guys that will help but not solutions. Hopefully we find a game wrecker next year. 

On 9/6/2016 at 9:56 PM, NewColtsFan said:

We are still THREE drafts away from building a very good defense.

That's all?  It's only going to take Grigson 8 years - 8 drafts and 40-50 free agent signings to build something on defense?

We hope Luck plays a long time, but 8 years?  Aikman, for comparison, played 12.