Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can We Get A Thread For Erik Swoope?

krunk

I like some of what I've seen from him in the passing game the past two games.

My only complaint in terms of the passing game is with his size he needs to stop

letting people lay licks on him and start delivering some blows back to the defenders.

In terms of the running game I recall him blowing a block or two in the Buffalo game. 

Can't recall if he repeated that in this Ravens game.

I have him as our third TE, and I believe he will make the team. Can't rule out Chase Coffman. He has managed to stay working in this league for some time now.

Tight Ends
1 83 Dwayne Allen TE Clemson 6'3" 265
2 84 Jack Doyle TE Western Kentucky 6'6" 267
3 86 Erik Swoope TE Miami (FL) 6'5" 243
4 80 Chase Coffman TE Missouri 6'6" 250
5 44 Emil Igwenagu TE Massachusetts 6'2" 245
6 49 Konrad Reuland TE Stanford 6'5" 254

He needs to work on breaking tackles. Using stiff arms, jukes, hurdles, etc. to get down the field. He has a lot more speed than I thought for a big guy. If he works on physicality he could be our own version of Jordan Reed. I wouldn't mind him making the roster as the 3rd TE.

6 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I have him as our third TE, and I believe he will make the team. Can't rule out Chase Coffman. He has managed to stay working in this league for some time now.

Tight Ends

I like your charts;  I think you should post these for every position.

1 minute ago, Bluefire4 said:

He needs to work on breaking tackles. Using stiff arms, jukes, hurdles, etc. to get down the field. He has a lot more speed than I thought for a big guy. If he works on physicality he could be our own version of Jordan Reed. I wouldn't mind him making the roster as the 3rd TE.

Yeah he's fast, he runs a 4.6 so a step slower than Coby Fleener.

I like Swoope.  Decent hands,..and fast for someone so  big.  He's converted from Basketball where contact wasn't exactly earth shattering, so I expect him to get better and better at the affore mentioned broken tackles, stiff arms, ect.

Yes, he is still a work in progress, but a serviceable one now.  HUGE strides from last year. I hope he's kept.

3 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Tight Ends

From what I've been reading,  Coffman has passed Swoope as the 3rd TE.       Don't know if it's true or not,  but that's what I've been reading here and elsewhere.

So, if that holds true,  then I suspect Swoope goes for another year of the P.S. and then makes the roster in 2017.       I'm a Swoope fan, and I see no reason to give up on him just yet....     I hope he sticks around for another year.

3 hours ago, SupermanLuck12 said:

Coby Fleener 2.0

This is Swoope's third season with us and I really don't see the potential in the guy. He may make the practice squad or even the final 53 because our depth at TE isn't all that great.

I pretty much gave up on the Erik Swoope project.

You gave up on him based on what exactly?  Unless you are at practice everyday, which I doubt you are, the sample size that any of us on this board have seen from him is not nearly enough to make that kind of determination.  

52 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

You gave up on him based on what exactly?  Unless you are at practice everyday, which I doubt you are, the sample size that any of us on this board have seen from him is not nearly enough to make that kind of determination.  

Dearest of Godliness. Stop using sound logic Skinz....

9 hours ago, SupermanLuck12 said:

Coby Fleener 2.0

This is Swoope's third season with us and I really don't see the potential in the guy. He may make the practice squad or even the final 53 because our depth at TE isn't all that great.

I pretty much gave up on the Erik Swoope project.

We'd be really lucky if he turned out to be coby fleener 2.0

I do not beleive swoope is eligible for another year at P.S. I think this is now or never for him and honestly I really like what I see with him. I like his speed and he's gotten huge compared to when he started. I think he can beat out Doyle due to the fact he's a diffrent TE, he can go up the seem much better and has the speed to take it home vs doyle.

22 hours ago, Jason_S said:

We'd be really lucky if he turned out to be coby fleener 2.0

For having only 2 years of actual football experience, it's encouraging that he's getting time in the preseason and at least standing out against 2nd/3rd teamers.  If he's Coby 2.0 for league minimum, yeah, that's a positive mark on Grigson's resume.  I'ts not like anyone should expect him to ever put up 800 yards and 4 TDs, but a few goal line TDs and some good special teams play?  Heck yeah.

He has played well in the passing game. His blocking leaves little to be desired though. 

At this point I think Coffman has him beat out as #3, but it's a very close battle, possibly the closest on the team. These next two games will go a long way, and if we have any injuries at TE (I'm looking at you, Dwayne) we could see them both on the active roster at some point during the season.

I want to see more of Chase Coffman. I think he's really grown since his rocky start in this league.

As much as I want Swoope to make the team, I don't see him being reliable as a receiver or blocker this year. As others have pointed out, he doesn't know what to do once he's caught the ball, other than run straight and get flipped or laid out.

To defend Swoope a little bit, so far he hasn't dropped any balls.  He's much faster than Chase Coffman.  Shouldn't take much for him to correct the way he runs after catching the ball.  I'm sure the coaches are guiding him about that.  He does need to work on his blocking though. One thing I'll say is he really hasn't had much playing time to really hone his craft in live games.  I'm going to keep watching for improvements.  Coffman is more experienced though.

The signing of Mike Miller tells me that we probably won't keep Chase Coffman after the final 53 is said and done.  Only reason Coffman is still here is to provide competition to Swoope. So unless Swoope just stinks it up here in the next two weeks I'm assuming we'll stick with Swoope and likely have Mike Miller on the Practice Squad.  Coffman is a vet so there is likely no room for him on the PS(could be wrong).  Doubt we carry 4 tight ends on the regular roster.