• D'Journ Smith
    • Other
  2. 2. Who do you think will win the 3# CB spot

• Patrick Robinson
    • Darius Butler
    • D'journ Smith
    • Other

Hey again Colts Nation

I am breaking down training camp battles and see what you guys think should win them.

I know there is still a long way from trainging camp, but it fun to see if your guy wins the job

Training Camp Battle-Cornerback

Patrick Robinson-Drafted in the first round by the Saints. He is entering his 6th season. He played inside and outside for the Chargers last year. He allowed just 8.9 yds per catch last season, which is best among cornerbacks. He doesn't let up big plays and when he lined up in the slot he allowed just .78 yards per coverage. 

Darius Butler-30 years old is coming off a down season were he allowed an passer rating of 118.2. Is heading into his 7th year in the league He is entering the final year of his contract. Has 12 career INT's.

D'journ Smith-Drafted in the 3rd of the 2015 draft. He was injured for most of last year. He played for Florida Atlantic in college. Ran a 4.45 at the combine. I believe Pagano sees something in him and will bring it out of him, if he can stay healthy.

Others-Jalil Brown, Tevin Mitchel, Darius White

One more question-who do you think will have the biggest impact out of all these CB's

Feel free to comment and give your opinion 

I think the front office will go with the most proven starters to begin the year if they are all healthy.

Davis

Robinson

Butler

Smith was terrible last year, will have to see how he plays! Could possibly be a good 4th or a 3 this year if needed.

No biggie, but Smith's first name is D'joun.... no R.  I hope he fights for that 3rd slot this year as well.... Smith was terrible last year?  He was a rookie, at a position that is traditionally rough for rookies to transition into, and he played all of what, 4 games?  Seems like he warrants a judgement of "incomplete" for last season much more than one of "terrible"

59 minutes ago, bravo4460 said:

I think the front office will go with the most proven starters to begin the year if they are all healthy.

Davis

Robinson

Butler

Smith was terrible last year, will have to see how he plays! Could possibly be a good 4th or a 3 this year if needed.

It seems like we have so much uncertainty at almost every position and this one typifies it.  We know Vontae is proven, Robinson has had bad then good years and Butler once was a decent slot guy.  

Then there's all the backups with nothing but potential and the hope they pan out.    Smith has to prove it wasn't injuries that made him look that bad.  We kind of know what Brown can do.   And we're hoping we stole Mitchell for a reason.  

We can guess now but until August, that's all we can do.  

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

It seems like we have so much uncertainty at almost every position and this one typifies it.  We know Vontae is proven, Robinson has had bad then good years and Butler once was a decent slot guy.  

Then there's all the backups with nothing but potential and the hope they pan out.    Smith has to prove it wasn't injuries that made him look that bad.  We kind of know what Brown can do.   And we're hoping we stole Mitchell for a reason.  

We can guess now but until August, that's all we can do.  

Very true! There really is a bunch of uncertainty at each position! Lol 

Two years ago I would say we would be alright but after seeing what happened last season. Obviously many factors played a factor lasts season but it is hard to say how the team will play this season in my opinion. 

2 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

No biggie, but Smith's first name is D'joun.... no R.  I hope he fights for that 3rd slot this year as well.... Smith was terrible last year?  He was a rookie, at a position that is traditionally rough for rookies to transition into, and he played all of what, 4 games?  Seems like he warrants a judgement of "incomplete" for last season much more than one of "terrible"

Not like I was expecting him to be a stud his rookie year! He did have some hype of being a great man to man corner though. I feel that CB is one of the hardest positions to come into as a rookie. He was also hurt a lot last year. It's not all his fault.

I do get what you are saying. He was however, pretty terrible. Just because I say he was terrible doesn't mean I think he is a bad player. Just saying exactly how his play was last season in my opinion. It's hard to know what to expect from him this upcoming season!

1 hour ago, bravo4460 said:

Not like I was expecting him to be a stud his rookie year! He did have some hype of being a great man to man corner though. I feel that CB is one of the hardest positions to come into as a rookie. He was also hurt a lot last year. It's not all his fault.

I do get what you are saying. He was however, pretty terrible. Just because I say he was terrible doesn't mean I think he is a bad player. Just saying exactly how his play was last season in my opinion. It's hard to know what to expect from him this upcoming season!

Actually, most scouts/media types questioned whether Smith would be able to fit in in a Pro-level M2M coverage scheme, mostly due to him playing almost exclusively off the LOS, and his lack of top-end speed when covering deep routes..... coupled with a bit of lower-level college competition stigma

9 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Actually, most scouts/media types questioned whether Smith would be able to fit in in a Pro-level M2M coverage scheme, mostly due to him playing almost exclusively off the LOS, and his lack of top-end speed when covering deep routes..... coupled with a bit of lower-level college competition stigma

I think the league may see a transition to guys like Smith to compensate for all these little fast guys eating up the big corners.

TY, AB, Beckham, Sanders, Edelman, the league is being taken over by quick small guys because guys like Sherman and Browner started taking away big WRs like Fitzgerald and Megatron.

Smaller, quicker players like Smith may be the answer to all these small, quick WRs.  Earl Thomas was considered small, but he is quick and he hits.  Tyrann Mathieu is a "smaller" safety, but he's quick and he can ball.  D'Joun Smith is small, but he got ups, and might be able to cover these small guys deep.  Playing nickel, or closer to the box, I'm not so sure, so maybe he is a safety/corner hybrid, but I hope he balls out either way.  We NEED a solid secondary.

2 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I think the league may see a transition to guys like Smith to compensate for all these little fast guys eating up the big corners.

TY, AB, Beckham, Sanders, Edelman, the league is being taken over by quick small guys because guys like Sherman and Browner started taking away big WRs like Fitzgerald and Megatron.

Smaller, quicker players like Smith may be the answer to all these small, quick WRs.  Earl Thomas was considered small, but he is quick and he hits.  Tyrann Mathieu is a "smaller" safety, but he's quick and he can ball.  D'Joun Smith is small, but he got ups, and might be able to cover these small guys deep.  Playing nickel, or closer to the box, I'm not so sure, so maybe he is a safety/corner hybrid, but I hope he balls out either way.  We NEED a solid secondary.

Like what you have here. I'm hoping for the same. That safety/corner hybrid might be Tj Green though when ready.

12 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

I get so annoyed when they say terrible when he barely played in the season and the preseason lol barely got any snaps to say terrible 

2 hours ago, will426 said:

I get so annoyed when they say terrible when he barely played in the season and the preseason lol barely got any snaps to say terrible 

So just because a player didn't play in that many games he couldn't have played terrible?

Greg Toler played pretty terrible sometimes even in the seasons where he got hurt. 

I get it. Smith was a rookie. I'm not saying HE IS terrible, I'm saying his play last year was in training camp/when he got to play. 

3 hours ago, will426 said:

I get annoyed too because nobody actually saw him play the cornerback position with their own eyes other than the Bengals preseason game which he played well in my opinion albeit against their 2nd and 3rd teamers.   Everything else that we got to witness was special teams.   Right now I just wish he could shake this knee injury so I can see the rest.   I honestly don't have any doubts he can play the nickel position, the problem I see is I think he's going to get stiff competition from Tevin Mitchel for that spot too.  I was looking over the little bit of film of Mitchel available on the net and it appears Arkansas played Mitchel as a nickel corner quite a bit from what I could tell.   He's not bad at it to me and he's got he size and the speed to play on the outside as well.  Plus he comes from a bigger program than Smith and has played against better quality receivers.   We'll see what shakes out when the pads get put on!

I think Mitchel will challenge for the slot if he can stay healthy something he's had trouble doing. We apparently wanted to take him the end of day 3 but the Skins beat us too him. The staff seemed excited about having him. 

Smith on the other hand I think was drafted to play outside. I feel like his floor is the slot. It sucks he was injured last year stopping his development. I expect him to play a lot better this year. Winning the job across from. Vontae this season is probably asking a lot but stranger things have happened. 

We have 4 more guys with the measurables you want All run sub 4.4 40's and have size.  

Glover-Wright is the guy I think can do something this year from GB PS last season. He drew comparison to Shields. Rose is probably the next guy that could impress. I really like Milton but he is pretty raw. He did it all at G Tech including block 7 kicks.  The kid White  from Cal has a shot.  

I think we go with Davis Robinson Smith Brown after that it gets interesting if Glover-Wright can put it together and win a spot I could see Rose sending Butler to the street. I don't see his value. He stinks outside and was just as bad In the slot last year. It looks like Chuck has talent at CB. It's time to go to work 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I'm assuming Tevin Mitchel is a part of the plan, if healthy. But more like CB5/6, not one of the top 3 guys.

Butler could be on the hot seat, but only if at least three of the young guys show they're ready.

The more I look at it I think it's more likely than not Butler is gone. He stunk in the slot last year and has never been capable outside. He doesn't do anything on ST's. I just don't see his value at this point.

I think these 4: Davis Robinson Smith and Brown make the final roster. Brown is our best back up on the outside. He had a great camp//preseason last year for whatever reason it didn't transfer to Sunday. He hit the IR week 4. One more offseason with Chuck might be what it takes. 

We wanted Mitchel in the draft and were happy to steal him from Washington. I think he has an inside track if he can stay healthy. He has good size 6'0 190lbs. He's lived in the slot but he has the size and smoothness to give it a go outside. Health is his problem. 

Glover-Wright 6'0 180lbs ran a blistering 4.30 40. He spent time on GB PS not a bad place to learn the CB position. He was being compared to Shields. Then came to our PS in last season. He handled some return duties in college as well. Again the measurables you look for.  

Those are the 6 guys I'd look at making the roster: Davis Robinson Smith Brown Mitchel Glover-Wright. I think one of  the rookies could easily steal a spot.  The pattern of good size and speed continues with our UDFA. We certainly have guys that look the part. 

Rose is one guy I'd keep an eye on. He has all the measurables just depends on how quickly he can adjust. He could easily be fighting for playing time.  Rose on the final roster would  not shock me.

Then Milton is an elite athlete his 4.37 40 got scouts attention. He did just about everything for Georgia Tech. He was a special teams ace blocking 7 kicks. If its close he could get the nod because of ST's. He is an elite athelte I think he's at least on the PS. White from Cal is a dark horse. Williams and Davie are trying to overcome disappointing Sr seasons. 

I just don't see any reason to keep Butler. It's the final year of his deal so he's gone next year anyway. He is already 30 and his play really fell off last year. He had 118 QB rating against when targeted in the slot. I don't see anything he does that's not easily replaced by a younger play with a higher ceiling.  

I wouldn't be surprised to see TJ Green used in the slot some. Especially against big tight end types or long wide outs. The young man is a rocket, but only time will tell how fast he picks things up and really how good his cover skills are. If Smith gets better with healing this group could be much deeper than anticipated. Chuck might have some fun with them.

On 6/1/2016 at 6:27 PM, Shafty138 said:

Actually Smith was more like horrible than terrible last year. 

I know he was and basically still is a rookie in a sometimes difficult position to transform to. But if his training camp & preseason are similar to last year's he might not make it to openning day. Hoping a "light bulb" turns on in his head and he becomes a productive player.

8 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

I know he was and basically still is a rookie in a sometimes difficult position to transform to. But if his training camp & preseason are similar to last year's he might not make it to openning day. Hoping a "light bulb" turns on in his head and he becomes a productive player.

You do realize he played exactly 20 snaps on defense AND special teams combined all of last year right? Exactly what was it you expected him to show in about 2 drives of play over 16 weeks? http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/“Humbled”-D’Joun-Smith-Ready-For-Year-Two/712805a5-b833-472e-8f89-adcd9b3621a8 

9 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

I don't know how you can determine how well or bad he plays on what little he has played? Most all rookies have a learning curve and calling him horrible at this point is premature.

No competition for the #2 Corner. Robinson was brought in to be the #2. #3 and beyond is where the competition is at and it will likely take a fantastic preseason for Butler NOT to be that guy. If its close I believe Butler gets the go ahead

2 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

You do realize he played exactly 20 snaps on defense AND special teams combined all of last year right? Exactly what was it you expected him to show in about 2 drives of play over 16 weeks? http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/“Humbled”-D’Joun-Smith-Ready-For-Year-Two/712805a5-b833-472e-8f89-adcd9b3621a8 

people said he looked bad in camp too.  i dont remember what he did(if anything) in preseason

Smith had a "horrible" training camp. If anyone recalls he was getting beat by everyone. In fact it was joking mentioned that even fullbacks were beating him.

An injury is never a good thing. But the silver lining in his injury it merciflully ended his season and further embarrassment. He has had now a year off to think about and hopefully correct his struggles and try and make this football team.

2 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Smith had a "horrible" training camp. If anyone recalls he was getting beat by everyone. In fact it was joking mentioned that even fullbacks were beating him.

An injury is never a good thing. But the silver lining in his injury it merciflully ended his season and further embarrassment. He has had now a year off to think about and hopefully correct his struggles and try and make this football team.

To be fair, he was a rookie.  Sherman was pretty bad as a rookie too.

On the flip side of the coin, Marcus Peters just led the league in INTs as a rookie, but he might be the exception to the rule.  I don't think we've seen anyone be that good out of the gate since Primetime, so that might be an unfair comparison.

Really, I think the better analysis is who will back up Butler at slot CB because the Colts finally have enough options to keep Butler where he is most effective and away from where he stinks. He cannot play outside; he is a very good slot CB. One or both of the new kids they keep will be the first choice to replace an injured starter. Hope its Smith, but I'm pretty confident it won't be Butler. His days are numbered. 2016 should be his last year as a Colt, and he should never see the 1 or 2 CB position in Indy again.

2 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

To be fair, he was a rookie.  Sherman was pretty bad as a rookie too.

On the flip side of the coin, Marcus Peters just led the league in INTs as a rookie, but he might be the exception to the rule.  I don't think we've seen anyone be that good out of the gate since Primetime, so that might be an unfair comparison.

He was actually horrible the first 8 games of the season. He gave up 7 TD's 15 games into the season he gave 923 yards 61.5 yards a game. He should only get better and he certainly was productive as hell but he blew a lot of plays to.

6 hours ago, Hoose said:

Really, I think the better analysis is who will back up Butler at slot CB because the Colts finally have enough options to keep Butler where he is most effective and away from where he stinks. He cannot play outside; he is a very good slot CB. One or both of the new kids they keep will be the first choice to replace an injured starter. Hope its Smith, but I'm pretty confident it won't be Butler. His days are numbered. 2016 should be his last year as a Colt, and he should never see the 1 or 2 CB position in Indy again.

Butler was not effective anywhere last year. When targeted he gave up 118 QB rating from the slot. We were able to squeeze a couple of good years out of him. I want to see Smith win that job. It would be great if Smith and Mitchel showed Butler the door. 

11 hours ago, Hoose said:

We all know Butler cant play on the outside. But he was far from very good hes closer to very bad now a days! His best years in the slot are behind him.