Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tony Dungy

LUVTHESHOE

I was listening to Dungy talk yesterday, and I was just wondering why he seems so bitter towards the Colts and Jim Irsay. He was ask about the firing/new coach search. He seemed very smug and sarcastic when he said the Colts were going to have to search long and hard to find a coach the caliber of Caldwell. (really)I have and will always respect Tony for what he did here, but to me this seemed to be a slight on an organization that gave him a shot to validate his coaching career after being fired for what some feel was under achieving in Tampa. Maybe I took his comments wrong, but I just felt a simple , They are a great organization and I wish them nothing but luck would have been more appropriate in this situation. Again he is smart enough to realize that Lombardi or Noll quality coaches were not fired here. GO COLTS!

I was listening to Dungy talk yesterday, and I was just wondering why he seems so bitter towards the Colts and Jim Irsay. He was ask about the firing/new coach search. He seemed very smug and sarcastic when he said the Colts were going to have to search long and hard to find a coach the caliber of Caldwell. (really)I have and will always respect Tony for what he did here, but to me this seemed to be a slight on an organization that gave him a shot to validate his coaching career after being fired for what some feel was under achieving in Tampa. Maybe I took his comments wrong, but I just felt a simple , They are a great organization and I wish them nothing but luck would have been more appropriate in this situation. Again he is smart enough to realize that Lombardi or Noll quality coaches were not fired here. GO COLTS!

Love ya, Tony....but shut the #$%* up.

It's called cronyism.

Because Tony participated in cronyism, we got stuck with JC.

Cronyism;

Partiality to long-standing friends, especially by appointing them to positions of authority, regardless of their qualifications.

Funny I saw on another interview where he said he talked to Irsay and was helping him with the search (probably giving Irsay background information about what he knew about the guys who Irsay wanted to interview.). Irsay loved his time here and this city loved him. I doubt if he was out to slight this organization. With that said Jim Caldwell was a close personal friend of his and was his hand picked replacement. I am sure he feels bad for Caldwell. Also even Jim Irsay had said he felt Jim Caldwell was a good coach and spoke very highly of him. So just because the fans didn't like Caldwell doesn't mean others didn't as well.

Dungy said in another interview he felt like a child in a divorce between two parents when talking about Irsay firing Caldwell, the Polians and so many other people he had worked with. I think it's important to remember he has friends on both sides and I think knowing Dungy he honestly cares about both sides and hates to see it happen.

Love ya, Tony....but shut the #$%* up.

It's called cronyism.

Because Tony participated in cronyism, we got stuck with JC.

Cronyism;

Partiality to long-standing friends, especially by appointing them to positions of authority, regardless of their qualifications.

Boy, ruksak, Your a wealth of knowledge and thanks because now I don't have to grab my dictionary. haha Much appreciated. :highfive:

Dungy did say that he is helping the Colts finding the new HC. I don't know if that is good or a bad thing that he is having an helping hand in the HC search? We all know how he helped when he found our HC when he retired and how did that work out. Someone just should tell him he is not with the Colts anymore! I think he still thinks he is still with the Colts. How he is helping with the new HC search.

Dungy did say that he is helping the Colts finding the new HC. I don't know if that is good or a bad thing that he is having an helping hand in the HC search? We all know how he helped when he found our HC when he retired and how did that work out. Someone just should tell him he is not with the Colts anymore! I think he still thinks he is still with the Colts. How he is helping with the new HC search.

I certainly hope he has zero say in who we hire!

Validating his coaching career after underachieving with the Bucs??? With all due respect, that statement is definately not objective at all. Dungy took a Bucs team (a job that NOBODY at the time wanted) who had made the postseason maybe twice in the previous 20 years of exsistence to the playoffs 4 straight times (the only coach who has ever done that to date in franchise history) and was one game from the Super Bowl after only three seasons rebuilding from stratch with the likes of Shaun King at QB. If you do not personally like Dungy, that's fine, but I heard the same interview and he was being loyal to a friend (and it was his loyalty to his Off Cordinator at the time that got him fired, not his coaching performance). Dungy deeply believes in loyalty, sometimes to a fault (see: end of Bucs career), but that hardly makes him 'smug' or 'sarcastic'.

I swear if we end up with Dungy's church minister as our new HC I'm calling it quits.

That and Dungy has been a little loose lipped since he left the Colts.

Validating his coaching career after underachieving with the Bucs??? With all due respect, that statement is definately not objective at all. Dungy took a Bucs team (a job that NOBODY at the time wanted) who had made the postseason maybe twice in the previous 20 years of exsistence to the playoffs 4 straight times (the only coach who has ever done that to date in franchise history) and was one game from the Super Bowl after only three seasons rebuilding from stratch with the likes of Shaun King at QB. If you do not personally like Dungy, that's fine, but I heard the same interview and he was being loyal to a friend (and it was his loyalty to his Off Cordinator at the time that got him fired, not his coaching performance). Dungy deeply believes in loyalty, sometimes to a fault (see: end of Bucs career), but that hardly makes him 'smug' or 'sarcastic'.

I think you will find that I said ,some think he under achieved.

I give Dungy a pass.

I'd say that if they fired somebody I hired and promoted...

That's the problem. We shouldn't have let Dungy practically hand over the HC to his friend and also let Polian give the reigns to his son. Both candidates were under qualified but being the "nice" organization we allowed it to happen. Hopefully that has changed. I have a feeling things are going to be quite different around here from now on. You don't win by being nice.

I agree - Tony has become more defensive and sarcastic toward the Colts. I think he was a swell guy when here. I suspect he realizes he failed in only getting one SB while he was here, and that his self-appointed replacement got 0; all with Peyton under center - he should be embarrassed. BUT, he just needs to STHU, move forward, and either go back to coaching or talk equal smack about all teams, not primarily the Colts. And, he has to know that this is the LAST year in which he has ANY inside knowledge of the Colts. He needs to move on ....

Dungy did say that he is helping the Colts finding the new HC. I don't know if that is good or a bad thing that he is having an helping hand in the HC search?

Bad ...Bad ...Bad ...

How well did his first selection do for us?

But, I have ZERO belief that he has ANY voice in the current selection. Likely Irsay is being nice by asking, and Dungy is inflating his role. As much I think Dungy is a fine man, he has become a pontificating TV-head that is a waste of time to listen to.

That's the problem. We shouldn't have let Dungy practically hand over the HC to his friend and also let Polian give the reigns to his son. Both candidates were under qualified but being the "nice" organization we allowed it to happen. Hopefully that has changed. I have a feeling things are going to be quite different around here from now on. You don't win by being nice.

We were 16-3.....I didnt see it as a problem,

But Its over..

they're all fired and gone.. Now the hard part....Who do we actually want and how soon do we turn on them

If Dungy is helping I guarantee Perry Fewell is being mentioned to Irsay. I heard we will interview Zimmer, I really hope he is the one I think we can go far with a guy like him. As I have said previouslt anyone who can be that successful with the D in Cincy has to be a great coach and apparently the players just love the guy. And he actually gets fired up wouldnt that be a nice change.

GO COLTS

I think this is a bit dramatic. His job as a show host is to talk about all the teams, the dramatic storylines, and he has more inside scoop than anyone else in the media right now.

Dungy still works with this franchise and is still working to help Irsay create the team we all want. I think we need to let it play out

We were 16-3.....I didnt see it as a problem,

But Its over..

they're all fired and gone.. Now the hard part....Who do we actually want and how soon do we turn on them

I know I should give Caldwell a little more credit for that year but I still think it's more Peyton being that good where he can carry a team and figure out defenses. A coach on the field if you will. Peyton can overcome mediocre coaching more than any other player in the NFL. He made Caldwell look better than he was as he did many of our players as well. We found that out this year.

I agree - Tony has become more defensive and sarcastic toward the Colts. I think he was a swell guy when here. I suspect he realizes he failed in only getting one SB while he was here, and that his self-appointed replacement got 0; all with Peyton under center - he should be embarrassed. BUT, he just needs to STHU, move forward, and either go back to coaching or talk equal smack about all teams, not primarily the Colts. And, he has to know that this is the LAST year in which he has ANY inside knowledge of the Colts. He needs to move on ....

No idea what you are talking about. His "schtick" on tv is to stand next to Rodney Harrison. Everyone teases one about being a Colts fan, and the other about being a Pats fan. And thats normal because most talking heads are incredibly loyal to their former organizations. Some of them practically wave palm palms for teams that they haven't been associated with in 20 years. What makes you think that Dungy is down on the Colts? Because he's unhappy that his friend and protege was fired? How exactly would you like him to respond?

No idea what you are talking about. His "schtick" on tv is to stand next to Rodney Harrison. Everyone teases one about being a Colts fan, and the other about being a Pats fan. And thats normal because most talking heads are incredibly loyal to their former organizations. Some of them practically wave palm palms for teams that they haven't been associated with in 20 years. What makes you think that Dungy is down on the Colts? Because he's unhappy that his friend and protege was fired? How exactly would you like him to respond?

I believe whatever negative comments he may have made about the Colts is something I've seen other former players/coaches do when they transition to the media. They make an overt effort to show they can be impartial in their new duties, and criticizing their former team is a great way to accomplish this. I noticed Reggie Miller do this when he went to TBS after his retirement.

Fans often make much ado about nothing over this.

The curious anomaly about Tony Dungy's career is that in Tampa he had a heck of a defense but got fired because he could not create an offense. Gruden came in and won a SB because he could generate an offense with the team Tony left him.

In Indy he had one of the best offenses and kept drafting 270 pound DT's that could not stop the run. 5'6" 170 CB's, 6'0", 220 LB's, but they had to run fast. :(

The curious anomaly about Tony Dungy's career is that in Tampa he had a heck of a defense but got fired because he could not create an offense. Gruden came in and won a SB because he could generate an offense with the team Tony left him.

In Indy he had one of the best offenses and kept drafting 270 pound DT's that could not stop the run. 5'6" 170 CB's, 6'0", 220 LB's, but they had to run fast. :(

Well, keep in mind Dungy wasn't able to inherit a Warren Sapp, or a Derrick Brooks or John Lynch here like he was able to in Tampa.