Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mathis Says he's willing to teach.

Lawrence Owen

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I suggested us extending Mathis and Walden to free some cap space

They both have pretty modest 2016 salaries , so not a ton a cap space to pick up. But why do we need more cap space in 2016 ? We have over 18 mill (8th out of the 32 teams) as of now. More than enough to do Luck's new contract and I really doubt we are looking at some free agent that would take big $'s to sign.

10 minutes ago, dw49 said:

They both have pretty modest 2016 salaries , so not a ton a cap space to pick up. But why do we need more cap space in 2016 ? We have over 18 mill (8th out of the 32 teams) as of now. More than enough to do Luck's new contract and I really doubt we are looking at some free agent that would take big $'s to sign.

The more cap space the better and it takes Mathis and Walden off of the fa dilemma next off-season

5 minutes ago, Derakynn said:

You mean like a first round pass rusher taken in the first round?                                                                          I don't think Mathis was teaching Werner then either

5 minutes ago, Derakynn said:

You mean like a first round pass rusher taken in the first round?                                                                          I don't think Mathis was teaching Werner then either

7 hours ago, CR91 said:

The more cap space the better and it takes Mathis and Walden off of the fa dilemma next off-season

I don't think there is any FA "dilemma" with Mathis or Waldron in 2016.One will be 36 years old and the other is a fringe starter. Plus , you wouldn't want to create cap room in a manner like that unless you had a plan for the money. You do realize the money you create in 2016 diminishes by that same number in years you made those extensions.. right ?

8 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Lets hope he gets to teach a couple young EDGE rushers this season. Spence or Floyd and then maybe Fackrell in the 3rd too. Or a later round kid like McCalister, Judon, Cowser, Holmes, etc, etc, etc.

I don't see Colts drafting Spence even if he's still there in round 2.  Red flags. And Grigson doesn't do those.

3 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

I don't see Colts drafting Spence even if he's still there in round 2.  Red flags. And Grigson doesn't do those.

He also said he was more comfortable with some red flag guys. That probably means Spence and Nkemdiche. Spence is the best pass rusher in the draft. If he's there I think we're gonna take him.

On 4/26/2016 at 7:31 AM, Lawrence Owen said:

https://twitter.com/RobertMathis98

More than willing to accept a 1 year extension & tutor any young thundercat they bring in the art of pass rushing!

Glad to see our Jedi of pass rushing over the past 10 years is a team player. willing to take a back seat to a young Obi-Wan and be his Qui-Gon...:)

where did he say he's willing to take a back seat to a young pass rusher?  

9 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

You need to watch and listen to Grigsons draft press conference. It may not be exactly as you say.

oh, i Know he says that reg flags come on and off players for them all the time.  but everyone has had the red flag on Spence, and don't know who has taken it off.  So for me, I don't even consider those with flags. This way, the only surprises would be good ones.  Spence is a terrific athlete, but if the Colts brass still has any sort of red flag on him,..he'd be untouchable.  That's what i got from that press conference.

12 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

To me ( and probably many others) Throwing out the 1 years extension and 'tutor' in the same sentence just implies it.

hmm...interesting.   Taking a back seat was not an implication I got from his quote.

12 hours ago, Jason_S said:

hmm...interesting.   Taking a back seat was not an implication I got from his quote.

maybe my brain just works differently.  He is still a viable pass rusher tho. so i would hope not.  especially since our first pick was a different need....Kelly.