Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Request Permission To Interview Saints Oc

MTC

Either Zimmer or Tressel would be fine. As long as the HC is intelligent regarding clock management.

I think Tressel would be a mistake. There are more examples of successful college coaches floundering in the NFL than there are Jim Harboughs. Plus, Tressel's conservative game plan would be a waste of the top talent on the team (i.e. Manning, and if not him, potentially Luck). Pretty clear the defense is not our strength right now.

I think Tressel would be a mistake. There are more examples of successful college coaches floundering in the NFL than there are Jim Harboughs. Plus, Tressel's conservative game plan would be a waste of the top talent on the team (i.e. Manning, and if not him, potentially Luck). Pretty clear the defense is not our strength right now.

Top talent? We are one of the weakest teams on both sides of the ball.

Yeah in the one year with Dan Orlovski at qb, we had the same receivers, similar line, and running backs with Manning in 2009/2010. Those numbers would not suggest we are the weakest team on offense, quite the contrary in fact. Again, my statement was assuming Manning is healthy and can play - or if he isn't, assuming Andrew Luck will ultimately be a better NFL qb than Dan Orlovsky or Curtis Painter.

He meant Manning and/or Luck. A conservative, run-heavy gameplan would not play to our strengths.

I know people have jumped on me for wanting Martz as an OC, but I think with Peyton only having a few years left, Martz could get the most out of the weapons we still have under contract. We seem to have the good-at-receiving running backs he likes (he could make Donald Brown into a monster), and good receiving tight ends. He does an excellent job of mixing up routes to create open receivers, and I would trust Peyton or Luck to be able to make good decisions and get rid of the ball before pressure gets to them. Luck would be the best possible quarterback for a Mike Martz offense due to his athleticism mixed with his pocket awareness.

I would want:

Mike Zimmer as head coach/ Defensive Coordinator

Mike Martz as Offensive Coordinator.

Steve Spags as assistant Defensive Coordinator / Defensive Line

Jim Tressel stays in his current clock consultant position.

Yeah in the one year with Dan Orlovski at qb, we had the same receivers, similar line, and running backs with Manning in 2009/2010. Those numbers would not suggest we are the weakest team on offense, quite the contrary in fact. Again, my statement was assuming Manning is healthy and can play - or if he isn't, assuming Andrew Luck will ultimately be a better NFL qb than Dan Orlovsky or Curtis Painter.

Our receiver corp is weak. Wayne is getting old. Clark can't catch anymore. Our O-line is obviously suspect, to be kind. Our running game has never been a juggernaut. Even with a healthy Manning, we would have been a .500 team last year. Now, with Luck, we obviously go into rebuilding mode, ala Bradford and the Rams.

He's only been in the league since 06. Wayne has been since 01. So that's at least five years.

I stand corrected.

I'm fine with Colston then.

I don't see Meacham as an option. He'd be the equivalent to Garcon, and I think Garcon's a better overall player.

Our receiver corp is weak. Wayne is getting old. Clark can't catch anymore. Our O-line is obviously suspect, to be kind. Our running game has never been a juggernaut. Even with a healthy Manning, we would have been a .500 team last year. Now, with Luck, we obviously go into rebuilding mode, ala Bradford and the Rams.

Our running game was more effective this year than in the last 3, the new o-line pieces gelled quite nicely through the season, and Garcon had fewer drops than ever before, while simultaneously putting up the best numbers of his career. With Manning, we could have been better than our 10-6 2010 campaign; especially given how weak our division looked get again. We wouldn't have been anything less than an 11-win, division champ with PM.

Our running game was more effective this year than in the last 3, the new o-line pieces gelled quite nicely through the season, and Garcon had fewer drops than ever before, while simultaneously putting up the best numbers of his career. With Manning, we could have been better than our 10-6 2010 campaign; especially given how weak our division looked get again. We wouldn't have been anything less than an 11-win, division champ with PM.

And that's with ijalana missing the year!I think our offensive line will be set for YEARS.However,i would LOVE for us to draft 'D.DeCastro',if its possible.The main reason that garcon played so well is for that new contract that he'll be getting.I'm not sold on him completely and there's no way he's worth 10 mil a year.If manning had played this year,then we would've been 13-3.YES...ONE PLAYER DOES MAKE THAT BIG OF A DIFFERENCE.

Well the Tressel discussion from above seems to be a moot point now.

http://www.stampedeb...next-head-coach

I take what BBS says with a grain of salt and his only source is himself in stating that Tressel won't be a new HC.

Also, someone mentioned Mike Martz as OC. Martz just announced his retirement from football so thats not happening.

I like the idea of the Saints OC coming in, when he took over the play calling, the Saints offense soared to new heights and overcame 5 turnovers to still put up 32 points against a VERY GOOD San Fran defense. Let him come in and either teach Luck to be all he can be or help add Peyton some new wrinkles into our very predictable offense.

Maybe Clyde will sit in on the interview & then when we go w/ Carmichael he will have the same meeting as Caldwell did before the next presser.

Pure sweetness: Tressel- HC, Del Rio- DC, Carmichael- OC. That triumvirate should bode well for the next dozen years.

He meant Manning and/or Luck. A conservative, run-heavy gameplan would not play to our strengths.

I know people have jumped on me for wanting Martz as an OC, but I think with Peyton only having a few years left, Martz could get the most out of the weapons we still have under contract. We seem to have the good-at-receiving running backs he likes (he could make Donald Brown into a monster), and good receiving tight ends. He does an excellent job of mixing up routes to create open receivers, and I would trust Peyton or Luck to be able to make good decisions and get rid of the ball before pressure gets to them. Luck would be the best possible quarterback for a Mike Martz offense due to his athleticism mixed with his pocket awareness.

I would want:

Mike Zimmer as head coach/ Defensive Coordinator

Mike Martz as Offensive Coordinator.

Steve Spags as assistant Defensive Coordinator / Defensive Line

Jim Tressel stays in his current clock consultant position.

You're just throwing out random names without even taking into account if said coaches have the same ideologies, philosophies or ties. You say you want Zimmer as head coach and Spags as D coordinator? That doesn't even make sense. Those two run totally different systems, and I imagine Zimmer (being a defensive coach) would want to bring his own staff on board, making the need for a big time D coordinator unnecessary, ruling Spags out.

And Mike Martz (and his 7-9 step dropback route combinations) for O coordinator, when we have a poor pass protecting line and a QB fresh off a serious neck injury? Yeah.... that makes perfect sense [/sarcasm]

I honestly don't like this. We don't need another one sided, pass happy team. I would much rather seem someone with the same kind of team idea as im Harbaugh brought to the 49ers. He wanted to restore them to more like they were in the 80s. He installed a west coast offense and defense that is very balanced. I honestly think we have the tools to do the same thing. But we can't have another coach that wants to do nothing but pass on everydown. That works great....in regular season. I think had we had a more balanced team, we would have had more rings over the last 10 years.

No offense..but I'll take what we had the past 10 years..

the team most like Indy is NOLA.......

..we play almost exclusivley indoors and in warm weather cities ...we shouldnt change what we are...

You're just throwing out random names without even taking into account if said coaches have the same ideologies, philosophies or ties. You say you want Zimmer as head coach and Spags as D coordinator? That doesn't even make sense. Those two run totally different systems, and I imagine Zimmer (being a defensive coach) would want to bring his own staff on board, making the need for a big time D coordinator unnecessary, ruling Spags out.

And Mike Martz (and his 7-9 step dropback route combinations) for O coordinator, when we have a poor pass protecting line and a QB fresh off a serious neck injury? Yeah.... that makes perfect sense [/sarcasm]

What is so different about Zimmer and Spags ideologies or schemes (this is purely hypothetical since Spags agreed to join the Saints)? They both run defenses based on a high-motor front seven with the ability to get pressure up the middle. They both run defenses based on the PERSONNEL THEY HAVE rather than set schemes! If they were both to find themselves running the same defense, I bet they would have more ideas in common than not. Our new head coach (Zimmer in this case) is meant to be brought in as a LEADER, just like Grigson has said MANY TIMES. He will not have time to make every decision about our entire defense. Our Defensive Coordinator will have many decisions to make on his own, and having someone talented making those decisions would be a good thing. Talent is NEVER unecessary!

As for Martz, our O-line is going to be the same "poor pass protecting line" no matter who we have as an offensive coordinator. Martz and Peyton (or Luck) would be able to create enough time for our players to get open. If Peyton can't handle the hits after his surgeries, HE SHOULD NOT STEP ON THE FIELD.

Toward the end of the presser Irsay mentioned "balance" and "defense" as part of his declaration. Very encouraging. In today's NFL you have to be able to put up 30+ to win in those type games though. Look at this year's playoff results. All of this wholesale change is in no small part credited to the un-balanced way this team has been built for about a decade......clearly things are going to be different. We'll be fine. Looking forward to this....

I hope Irsay stays out of it...

....The NFL is going to a pass first style..

..and Indy..playing indoors and almost exclusively in warm weather....with Manning and then Luck..

needs to throw the ball 35-40 times a game

...Balance is so 90s..

I want 5,000 yards passing....because the Super Bowl''s never going to be played in bad wearher

I want 5,000 yards passing....because the Super Bowl''s never going to be played in bad wearher

But then, the playoffs, if they have to go through Packers, Giants, Eagles, Bears or Redskins in the NFC or the Pats, Steelers or Ravens in the AFC (good likelihood), a team has to be able to play when the winds are high and the footing is bad :). Not to mention the Meadowlands just got a SB awarded outdoors. It is a matter of time that the other outdoor teams get their chance to host too.

I hope Irsay stays out of it...

....The NFL is going to a pass first style..

..and Indy..playing indoors and almost exclusively in warm weather....with Manning and then Luck..

needs to throw the ball 35-40 times a game

...Balance is so 90s..

Well I've seen enough over the years and apparently so has Jim Irsay. And you're wrong about "balance being so 90s." A team has to be able to rely on more than one phase to beat the best of the best with any kind of consistency. Like it or not, change is here.

Just worth mentioning when Brian Bilick went to the Ravens he was an OC before hand. When Dungy came here he was a DC earlier in his career. Just because a guy comes out of one type of system doesn't mean that's what he is going to end up with at his new job.

I am all for balance and I am sure whoever the new coach is going to be they are probably going to want some kinda balance too.

Good point, but both of those coaching decisions made sense for the fact that in Baltimore the defense was already there and the Colts had Peyton Manning, so the offense was already great. They needed strength in the other side of the game and that is why those coaches were brought in. As of now we are weak on both sides of the ball, but once we get Luck we will probably once again be offensively heavy. It would nice to have a balanced team that does both parts of the game well. Maybe he knows defense better than we think or the Colts have a good eye on a great DC that can help. Good coordinators can cover up Head Coaches weaknesses. Also we better get a new Special Teams coach this year.

Maybe Clyde will sit in on the interview & then when we go w/ Carmichael he will have the same meeting as Caldwell did before the next presser.

Carmichael will likely accept nothing less than a HC position. He's got a great gig in New Orleans, and he's not going to leave for a sideways move to a team that could potentially be in a big mess (if Luck starts next year).

But then, the playoffs, if they have to go through Packers, Giants, Eagles, Bears or Redskins in the NFC or the Pats, Steelers or Ravens in the AFC (good likelihood), a team has to be able to play when the winds are high and the footing is bad :). Not to mention the Meadowlands just got a SB awarded outdoors. It is a matter of time that the other outdoor teams get their chance to host too.

Won't matter, because those teams will be travelling to Indianapolis for those playoff games. :P

Well I've seen enough over the years and apparently so has Jim Irsay. And you're wrong about "balance being so 90s." A team has to be able to rely on more than one phase to beat the best of the best with any kind of consistency. Like it or not, change is here.

That's how the Saints and Packers won the last two Super Bowls right? Or our trips in 06 and 09? Oh wait...

A team just has to be able to put it together for a handful of games. They don't need consistent balance. Constistent balance leads to a bunch of 8-8 or 9-7 seasons, potentially missing the playoffs all-together. (see: the Jets, Chargers, Cowboys...)

Carmichael will likely accept nothing less than a HC position. He's got a great gig in New Orleans, and he's not going to leave for a sideways move to a team that could potentially be in a big mess (if Luck starts next year).

Won't matter, because those teams will be travelling to Indianapolis for those playoff games. :P

That's how the Saints and Packers won the last two Super Bowls right? Or our trips in 06 and 09? Oh wait...

A team just has to be able to put it together for a handful of games. They don't need consistent balance. Constistent balance leads to a bunch of 8-8 or 9-7 seasons, potentially missing the playoffs all-together. (see: the Jets, Chargers, Cowboys...)

I realize you're among those sorely disappointed with the turn of events, and I'll leave it at that. The owner of the team used the words "balance" and "defense." Again, change is here like it or not. I'd like to think there's enough evidence to show why but that doesn't appear to be the case for some folks. Doesn't matter. Again, a team has to be able to rely on more than just one phase if they want to beat the best of the best with any consistency. I imagine you'll come around in time, as most here in opposition will. We're all still Colts fans.

What is so different about Zimmer and Spags ideologies or schemes (this is purely hypothetical since Spags agreed to join the Saints)? They both run defenses based on a high-motor front seven with the ability to get pressure up the middle. They both run defenses based on the PERSONNEL THEY HAVE rather than set schemes! If they were both to find themselves running the same defense, I bet they would have more ideas in common than not. Our new head coach (Zimmer in this case) is meant to be brought in as a LEADER, just like Grigson has said MANY TIMES. He will not have time to make every decision about our entire defense. Our Defensive Coordinator will have many decisions to make on his own, and having someone talented making those decisions would be a good thing. Talent is NEVER unecessary!

I know this is all a moot argument now, but nothing you've said is realistic at all.

Just because Zimmer and Spags both have attack style defenses that bring pressure up the middle doesn't mean they're the same. Terminology and language of the playbooks is something that's not easily transferable. To my knowledge, Spags and Zimmer don't use the same terminology. What you're saying is like saying the Colts should be able to pick up the Patriots spread offense easy since both teams are very pass-heavy. It's not that simple. The Patriots language on offense derives from Ron Erdhart's system, which uses more of a numerical play calling system. The Colts (or Peyton Manning, rather) uses a system completely foreign to any of the prominant offenses in the league such as the Erdhart and West Coast offenses. So to say Zimmer and Spags would work just fine on defense ignores this factor.

Furthermore, what coach (fresh off getting fired from a head coaching gig) would go be a D coordinator for a rookie, defensive-minded head coach (that he has no ties to), while also likely being unable to implement his own style of defense into a unit that he's being asked to coordinate for?.... Not happening. Wade Phillips, for example, was so effective as a D coordinator for the Texans because Kubiak is an offensive guru, and Wade was given free reign over the defensive side of the ball. Two defensive minded coaches with no ties to each other would be very difficult to do, and likely wouldn't happen.

As for Martz, our O-line is going to be the same "poor pass protecting line" no matter who we have as an offensive coordinator. Martz and Peyton (or Luck) would be able to create enough time for our players to get open. If Peyton can't handle the hits after his surgeries, HE SHOULD NOT STEP ON THE FIELD.

The point is, if you have a poor pass blocking line, it's probably not a good idea to hire a guy who stubbornly calls long developing routes, putting your QB at greater risk of getting hurt (hince, the reason he was fired from Chicago), and refuses to utilize all the weapons at his disposal on offense (trading Greg Olsen because he doesn't use TE's in his route combinations), and doesn't allow for any audibles in his system (I'd love to see how Peyton reacts when he tells him that.) Whether it be, Peyton or Luck who takes snaps for the Colts next year, why would you want to put the face of your franchise in jeopardy of continuous injury like that, right off the bat? Martz is a dipstick - whose scheme is outdated and no longer the juggernaut it once was - that has likely seen his last coaching gig in the NFL. That's why he retired.

Would be a GREAT move for the Colts! Carmichael is considered a BRIGHT, up and coming coach. I would LOVE the explosive offense with multiple sets and formations that he would bring. Sean Payton has said that Carmichael is a mirror image of himself when it comes to aggressive playcalling. Now if you bring in top notch dc it would give us a balance needed to start a dynasty. Don't make the SAME mistake of the past by hiring ANOTHER a low key CONSERVATIVE coach. (Tressel :no: ) Even though we won a Super Bowl (SINGLE) under Dungy WITH Peyton, I think all those ONE and DONE do what we do type gameplans (take what they give us instead of being in ATTACK mode) in the PLAYOFFS was the direct result of Dungy's CONSERATIVE style. (Caldwell followed) I think if Peyton had been coached by "hoody" INSTEAD of Dungy/Caldwell he would have MULTIPLE RINGS to go along with his GOAT status. The THOUGHT of Tressel as hc with Clyde STAYING on as oc (WITHOUT Peyton being a possibility) makes me shudder. :facepalm: