Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew and Peyton

CR91

They're pretty tight.

After Luck's 3rd year at Stanford that ended with a big win in the Orange Bowl,  Luck considered turning pro.

Other than his family,   there was only one person who he consulted with.........   Peyton Manning.

Luck has his number,  he called and Peyton gave him council.    Remember, Peyton stayed 4 years at Tennessee.      And Luck stayed 4 years at Stanford.      Luck values Peyton's judgement.

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

They're pretty tight.

After Luck's 3rd year at Stanford that ended with a big win in the Orange Bowl,  Luck considered turning pro.

Other than his family,   there was only one person who he consulted with.........   Peyton Manning.

Luck has his number,  he called and Peyton gave him council.    Remember, Peyton stayed 4 years at Tennessee.      And Luck stayed 4 years at Stanford.      Luck values Peyton's judgement.

I know there's a great level of respect between them. I just though it was a great photo

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

As long as Peyton was playing, I think both of them hesitated to discuss the other or chose their words carefully.

WE may hear a difference in what they say from this point on....neither one has to be concerned with complimenting someone who is playing for a rival

Doubt it. 

8 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

How awesome will it be when Peyton comes to talk to the locker room before a playoff game?!?

Eventually LOS might have a statue inspired by that photo. Great stuff!

1 hour ago, JPPT1974 said:

Luck and Manning both seem to be pretty tight!

I think they always were. They just couldn't talk abut it when they were the face of two AFC rivals..

They will be more open about their relationship now...I;m certain of that

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

They're pretty tight.

Great behind the curtain access info there NCF. I imagine that Peyton keeps his phone number on a very short list of friends who can call him directly like Jeff Saturday for instance.  

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

They're pretty tight.

Yes, there was a certain female trainer there he had his eyes on. HaHaHa

So Sorry..... but that was tooooo easy and couldn't help myself.:sorry:

There's actually a pretty deep history between Andrew and Peyton:

-Andrew and Peyton's father played together on the Houston Oilers together. Oliver, Andrew's dad, used to babysit Peyton and Eli when they were growing up.

-When Andrew considered coming out of college or going pro after his Junior year, he consulted with Manning on the choice. Andrew ended up staying for his Senior year and set fate in motion.

-Andrew has been on record saying that Peyton was his favorite player growing up and he idolized him.

-Luck attended Manning's passing academy and was a camp counselor there as well.

Here is a piece I wrote about Peyton and Andrew just before the 2014 playoff game: 

On 3/19/2016 at 3:31 PM, throwing BBZ said:

Maybe Peyton likes the Colts and Andrew enough that he and Andrew talk a lot more football.
Maybe even weekly during the season!  Just a few gifts of knowledge about Andrews play and some tips on our next opponent. I bet his Brother gets some of those calls. :colts:

he and his brother often talked when facing teams in each others conferences as were unfamiliar opponents and insight on D given if known , that is if played recently, or if played the coach and his tendencies  while on a different team, or if just familiar with certain players etc, anything helpful was given

26 minutes ago, bayone said:

he and his brother often talked when facing teams in each others conferences as were unfamiliar opponents and insight on D given if known , that is if played recently, or if played the coach and his tendencies  while on a different team, or if just familiar with certain players etc, anything helpful was given

That would be cool. Eli helping out Peyton with NFC coaches & vice versa with AFC coaches during the season. It's rare to see 2  football families [Manning & Luck] that joined at the hip. I like it. 

I don't remember what year it was was but Eli saw Peyton talking to Justin Tuck & the defense before a Meadowlands game & Easy E says "Guys my brother is trying to tap into our defensive game plan tonight. Stop talking to him about our formations okay." LOL! 

To be totally honest, I didn't wanna believe that Peyton would recommend his replacement to Jim Irsay after our owner knew the team was going in a new direction after 2011. I didn't grasp how close Peyton was to Luck during this timeframe. Sure, I knew Andrew attended the Manning QB Camp but so did almost every prospect about to enter the league. 

I'm just really proud of Peyton swallowing his pride & giving his blessing to his replacement Andrew Luck. Very few HOF QBs can do that, which speaks to 18's tremendous character as a man.  

I think about Joe Montana sometimes too when San Fran handed over the QB reins to Steve Young & Montana was traded to Kansas City under Marty Schottenheimer. 

It's tough to be released & start over in a new city. Not easy at all. 

I was surprised to see no one mention the fact that Manning turned down a one day contract with the Colts and retired instead as a Bronco.  Apparently he was given the option of retiring as a Colt... of course he did the PR thing in Indy just before dogging us after he got his Statue locked down.  

After he said "he'd always be a Colt" it appears that was an outright lie.  So I am not exactly pleased having a statue of a Bronco in front of the stadium the public paid for in Indianapolis.  

On March 24, 2016 at 7:04 AM, JPFolks said:

I was surprised to see no one mention the fact that Manning turned down a one day contract with the Colts and retired instead as a Bronco.  Apparently he was given the option of retiring as a Colt... of course he did the PR thing in Indy just before dogging us after he got his Statue locked down.  

After he said "he'd always be a Colt" it appears that was an outright lie.  So I am not exactly pleased having a statue of a Bronco in front of the stadium the public paid for in Indianapolis.  

He will go in the Hall of Fame as an Indianapolis Colt.

18 hours ago, bravo4460 said:

He will go in the Hall of Fame as an Indianapolis Colt.

Actually not really.,.. he goes in as an individual and they equally mention any team he played for.  This has been discussed many times.  The only recognition officially is if he'd accepted the offer of a one day contract and signed with us to "retire" as a Colt.  I mean, it's his choice and he went somewhere where they had a much better team around him than he'd ever had here (or that Luck has ever had so far).  If he'd stayed here, he REALLY would have been screwed since there was no money to bring even the guys we brought in since his salary would have prevented it.  Unlike Brady, Manning was never willing to give us a hometown discount so we could get better players.  

Now for him to lie to Indianapolis to our collective faces saying "I'll ALWAYS be a COLT" when given the very chance to memorialize that in a very traditional way in the NFL (and of course he's always credited with being an NFL historian blah blah blah), he dissed us.  In the end he's become nothing but a lying huckster slinging pizza's and beers, (which frankly was VERY low rent when he kept talking about Budweiser after the Super Bowl... like the dude doesn't have enough money from his non stop commercial ventures to focus on his team and their win, instead of dropping names of non-American beer companies at the Super Bowl maybe he should have praised Von Miller for getting him a second SB so his retirement as the least clutch playoff QB would be as harsh.  I wonder what kind of cash he got for those back door ads? He already got a Super Bowl MVP he didn't earn from one SB win, and the second one which he barely contributed to, he sold out to watered down beer.   And of course he lied to all of us and quickly dissed the city.  Good riddance....

On 3/24/2016 at 7:04 AM, JPFolks said:

I was surprised to see no one mention the fact that Manning turned down a one day contract with the Colts and retired instead as a Bronco.

umm, was that confirmed?  i was under the impression that denver still owns the right to peyton through next season.  even if he wanted to sign a one day here, it wouldnt be possible for another year

14 hours ago, aaron11 said:

umm, was that confirmed?  i was under the impression that denver still owns the right to peyton through next season.  even if he wanted to sign a one day here, it wouldnt be possible for another year

Here's one of many results of a simple search on the topic... it was also reported on ESPN, Fox Sports, NBC Sports and a variety of other networks and sites when it happened.  

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2016/03/22/peyton-manning-turns-down-one-day-contract-to-retire-with-indianapolis-colts/

Bottom line,,, he lied to us all.  He won't "always be a Colt.":  He'll always be a Bronco.  If they build a statue to a Bronco to place outside our publicly built stadium, I hope people deface it regularly.  At the very least they should put a plaque indicating the Colts beat him 3 out of 4 times after he left for his chosen team and city. 

First of all, this focus on a one day contract is childish and meaningless.  It does nothing to change the history.  Secondly, since when did Peyton choose to leave?  He was kicked to the curb.  I think a statue is over the top, but you are lucky he still wants anything to do with the Colts.  I'm glad he found a team he liked and had success  with and there's no reason for him to pretend the last 4 years didn't exist.  He has said he considers himself to be both a Colt and a Bronco.  Both fan bases need to deal with that like adults because it is reality.  

Strange take. Bizarre thinking./

Peyton didn't leave. he was let go. His 'chosen city' was Indianapolis. We drove him to the airport

Aaron is right.   You don't 'retire as a Colt' when you are under contract to the Broncos.

He'll always be a Colt AND a Bronco but his legacy is with Indianapolis....he did more for us than he did for them.

You must be very young..JPF....

Bottom line....he's an Indianapolis icon. Always will be

On 3/27/2016 at 5:58 AM, JPFolks said:

If they build a statue to a Bronco to place outside our publicly built stadium, I hope people deface it regularly.  At the very least they should put a plaque indicating the Colts beat him 3 out of 4 times after he left for his chosen team and city. 

200.gif

2 hours ago, Nadine said:

You really hope that? What the heck?

Yes, just as I am offended when they say stupid stuff like "the stadium that Peyton built..." because last I checked it was paid for by taxes citizens paid to build it for him to play in.  The Colts blackmailed Indy to build it and so the citizens built the stadium...not Peyton or Irsay.  

It wouldn't make sense to put a Marshall Faulk statue up in front of our stadium or any other player who retired with a different team.  Peyton had a choice and he lied to us first just days before choosing to retire as a Bronco.  That's fine.  I just don't believe a Bronco deserves a statue in front of OUR collective stadium.  And I doubt the Bronco's will be building a Peyton statue in front of THEIR stadium... (perhaps I am wrong, but it seems like he'd be down the list a bit from their other franchise players).   

5 hours ago, JPFolks said:

Yes, just as I am offended when they say stupid stuff like "the stadium that Peyton built..." because last I checked it was paid for by taxes citizens paid to build it for him to play in.  The Colts blackmailed Indy to build it and so the citizens built the stadium...not Peyton or Irsay.  

It wouldn't make sense to put a Marshall Faulk statue up in front of our stadium or any other player who retired with a different team.  Peyton had a choice and he lied to us first just days before choosing to retire as a Bronco.  That's fine.  I just don't believe a Bronco deserves a statue in front of OUR collective stadium.  And I doubt the Bronco's will be building a Peyton statue in front of THEIR stadium... (perhaps I am wrong, but it seems like he'd be down the list a bit from their other franchise players).   

JPF..the facts dont back you up..

Nobody blackmailed the city. Indy built the stadium and they have made a lot of money off the Colts being successful. They approached the Colts in 2004 (when you know who was at his peak as a QB) to get a 30-year commitment from the Colts...who, along with the Pacers,  are the athletic anchors for the city.

It was an investment ..and money well spent..considering the NCAA tournaments we have continued to attract

The money comes from stadium-related income generated by entertainment, resteraunt and hotel taxes...

But Indy wanted the new structure..They came to the Colts and that's why its called the 'House that Peyton Built":

If Jeff George was the QB and the Colts were 7-9, , Indy probably isn't looking to upgrade the RCA Dome

You're hung up on who Peyton was with when retired.

He was under contract to Denver. He could not retire as a Colt. He had a separate ceremony in Indy.

Using your 'doesnt make sense' arguement,. .

The Chicago Bulls shouldn't have a statue of Michael Jordan in front of their stadium.

He retired from the WIzards. 

The Broncos wont be building a statue to Peyton because his peak years and max years were in Indianapolis where we built the statue. Obviously

On 3/28/2016 at 5:48 PM, oldunclemark said:

JPF..the facts dont back you up..

Nobody blackmailed the city. Indy built the stadium and they have made a lot of money off the Colts being successful. They approached the Colts in 2004 (when you know who was at his peak as a QB) to get a 30-year commitment from the Colts...who, along with the Pacers,  are the athletic anchors for the city.

It was an investment ..and money well spent..considering the NCAA tournaments we have continued to attract

The money comes from stadium-related income generated by entertainment, resteraunt and hotel taxes...

But Indy wanted the new structure..They came to the Colts and that's why its called the 'House that Peyton Built":

If Jeff George was the QB and the Colts were 7-9, , Indy probably isn't looking to upgrade the RCA Dome

You're hung up on who Peyton was with when retired.

He was under contract to Denver. He could not retire as a Colt. He had a separate ceremony in Indy.

Using your 'doesnt make sense' arguement,. .

The Chicago Bulls shouldn't have a statue of Michael Jordan in front of their stadium.

He retired from the WIzards. 

The Broncos wont be building a statue to Peyton because his peak years and max years were in Indianapolis where we built the statue. Obviously

Though I disagree with everything you said, I appreciate the effort and thought you put into the response nonetheless.  People can disagree, it doesn't bother me.  When they launch personal attacks, they're trolls, as some of those above have demonstrated. 

The 3 bolded points: 

If Indy didn't upgrade the RCA dome, the Colts had already floated the possibility of moving to LA, a common sleaze tactic NFL teams use to blackmail cities into building new stadiums.  The RCA Dome hadn't made it a quarter century before they decided it was in need of destruction.  Ridiculous waste of city money.  The fact that Indy makes money from the new facility means nothing, they made it at the old one too.  The fact that Indy needed the Colts and the Colts used that need to force a new stadium earlier than needed (the structure was sound in all ways and seated about the same or perhaps even more people than the current one, simply with less boxes.  The RCA Dome was directly attached to the convention center and was wildly successful. I know, I helped open the facility and managed events there in the beginning.  The citizens paid for the facility, not Peyton Manning, thus it was NOT the stadium Manning built, it was the stadium Indy was forced to build under threat of losing Manning's entire team.  

As for him retiring as a Colt, I linked the reporting.  He was offered the option of signing a one day contract and retiring as a Colt according to the reporting.  Perhaps it was to take place at a later time, or with an agreement that should he return to the NFL, his rights would revert to the Broncos.  But the offer was made and days after insisting he was a "COLT FOR LIFE" he turned down the chance to memorialize that fact by retiring as a Colt, which is a very common tradition for players who switch teams late in their career.  

The Jordan comparison is Apples and Oranges.  The NBA isn't the NFL. NFL tradition supports my case. 

You won't change my mind with the above arguments, and it appears I won't change yours.  And life goes one, no harm no foul.  

On 3/24/2016 at 7:04 AM, JPFolks said:

Utter nonsense

On 4/2/2016 at 10:57 AM, jvan1973 said:

Utter nonsense

Well, blame the reporting as being liars, not me.  I linked it multiple times.  Do any search on google.  Here's one of many many reports on it: http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2016/03/22/peyton-manning-turns-down-one-day-contract-to-retire-with-indianapolis-colts/

Here's another: http://www.onsportsnews.com/featured/peyton-manning-turns-down-colts-offer/

Here's an example of how a REAL Colt does it: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9027702/jeff-saturday-signs-contract-retire-indianapolis-colts

Manning lied.  You can delude yourself into believing otherwise, but unless all the news reporters are lying, he turned down the common ceremonial 1 day contract offer to retire as a Colt.  So, he's a Bronco by fact and by choice going forward.  He shouldn't have a statue in front of our taxpayer bought stadium.  He'd didn't write the check for it.  He didn't build it.  The threat of the Colts leaving for LA combined with the Indianapolis politicians in office at the time and the taxpayers are the reason that stadium exists.  It is irrelevant that Indy is smart enough to make money off it.  The RCA Dome was ALSO making money already as the only connected dome stadium to a large  convention center at the time giving Indy all sorts of advantages when booking events.  I worked there as an event coordinator for the facility... I know what I am talking about in that regard.  

If the news reports are lies, then please prove them wrong with facts, you'll likely make news with it.  That's between you and them.  Otherwise, you're the one denying reality. 

1 minute ago, JPFolks said:

Well, blame the reporting as being liars, not me.  I linked it multiple times.  Do any search on google.  Here's one of many many reports on it: http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2016/03/22/peyton-manning-turns-down-one-day-contract-to-retire-with-indianapolis-colts/

Here's another: http://www.onsportsnews.com/featured/peyton-manning-turns-down-colts-offer/

Here's an example of how a REAL Colt does it: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9027702/jeff-saturday-signs-contract-retire-indianapolis-colts

Manning lied.  You can delude yourself into believing otherwise, but unless all the news reporters are lying, he turned down the common ceremonial 1 day contract offer to retire as a Colt.  So, he's a Bronco by fact and by choice going forward.  He shouldn't have a statue in front of our taxpayer bought stadium.  He'd didn't write the check for it.  He didn't build it.  The threat of the Colts leaving for LA combined with the Indianapolis politicians in office at the time and the taxpayers are the reason that stadium exists.  It is irrelevant that Indy is smart enough to make money off it.  The RCA Dome was ALSO making money already as the only connected dome stadium to a large  convention center at the time giving Indy all sorts of advantages when booking events.  I worked there as an event coordinator for the facility... I know what I am talking about in that regard.  

If the news reports are lies, then please prove them wrong with facts, you'll likely make news with it.  That's between you and them.  Otherwise, you're the one denying reality. 

You didn't write the check for it either. Irsay did and who are you to question what Irsay does with his money? As far as the RCA dome being connected to the convention center, it was proven the city was losing money by the convention center not being big enough to utilize what could be made. Since the convention center was enlarged the profits have gone up. So you personal opinion really has no bearing.

11 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

He didn't lie.  Johnny unitas retired from the chargers.  Guess what,   the Ravens put a statue of him in front of their stadium.  Without manning their would have been no stadium.    Why don't you Google that.   Nonsense over reaction by you.  Nothing more.  Oh,  and Irsay paid some money out of pocket for the stadium as well.   The dome was a terrible venue,  it was poorly thought out when it was built.   Also,  out of town visitors to the city pay the largest amount for the stadium and convention center remodel.