Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Another 1st Round Pick?

CheesyRoyale

Indy has signed 2 former 1st round picks (Sims, Anderson) should they make it a 3rd? I'm liking the possibility of getting Braylon Edwards...but his character is really a question for Indy. Garcon and Collie aren't really viable #2 WR options, both are more like slot WR's. If they get Manning a deep threat (Edwards) it could really open up the offense that much more. I'm excited to see future moves, at least they're finally making some!

I'm missing how Garcon isn't a deep threat? He's one of the faster receivers in the league. He has a problem from time to time with easy drops, but the same has been said of Edwards...

As to Whitner, while his coverage skills may be lacking, he would provide much needed depth at safety, especially with Bullitt coming back from injury.

Indy has signed 2 former 1st round picks (Sims, Anderson) should they make it a 3rd? I'm liking the possibility of getting Braylon Edwards...but his character is really a question for Indy. Garcon and Collie aren't really viable #2 WR options, both are more like slot WR's. If they get Manning a deep threat (Edwards) it could really open up the offense that much more. I'm excited to see future moves, at least they're finally making some!

The Jets let him go because they claimed he was a diva - now if the Jets, of all teams, can't stand his diva-ness, I can't imagine there would be any place for him here on the Colts

Having said that, he's a great player and has really done a great job of removing the drops from his game in his last year with the Jets but he's too rich for us - he looks like an $8 million type of player

I totally agree about the deep threat, it would help Manning and the offense immensely! After Wayne, the other four receivers, while they are good, all seem like slot receivers. Malcolm Floyd would be awesome! He'd finally give Manning somebody he could just chuck it up to in the endzone to let go get it. I'd much rather have him than Edwards. Whitner would also be awesome! I'll take either one, but I'm good without Edwards. I also wouldn't mind if we traded for Asante Samuel. Just having one good play making press corner will do wonders for Freeney and Mathis as well as the rest of the defense. I've got my fingers crossed, hoping we get another good impact player!

Don't get me wrong, WR is definitely not a major priority right now (true DT, CB, and S are the big ones) But who knows what the Polians will end up doing. Indy needs to focus on the defense, but some extra fire power is never a bad thing. After thinking about it I do like the Malcolm Floyd play more, he'd be cheaper and probably less of a problem. Assante would probably be too pricey and since Indy is a cover 2 D I'd say we need to bolster the DT position and maybe get that safety before any CB moves.

Im really not getting why people keep suggesting we sign another WR. Its not even close to a need and if they are gonna spend money on another FA it would be better spent on a DT or a SS. WR should be about the very last position they should be thinking about right now(if there is an injury, then thats another story).

Whitner or Harris please. I guess the fans that are just in love with the WR position will start talking about the Colts getting Edwards now that Moss is "retired." Guys we are SET at the WR position.

I'll agree with the Whitner or Harris approach. I haven't checked the cap room that Indy has, but I'm sure there isn't much left, so I don't know if Harris will work out financially. I definitely like both of those choices if there's a way to get either of them. I also liked the possibility of getting Aubrayo Franklin, but looks like the Niners are re-signing him.

Edwards isn't good, he's HORRIBLE!! Cleveland didn't have any receivers and gave up on him, the Jets didn't even make him an offer. The guy has speed, but he doesn't go across the middle and drops every other ball. Add to that he has a major attitude problem and * at the QB if he doesn't get the ball. Can you imagin if he tried that game with Peyton?

I don't see why people think a DT who's past his prime and can't stay healthy would be an upgrade.

Well there aren't many solid DT's available right now. I like Aubrayo Franklin and then maybe Harris, but that's really it. Unless they just get a big body to help in run D. Plus we don't really have anyone at DT...unless Nevis and Moala ends up being something, so anything would really be an upgrade.

I don't see why people think a DT who's past his prime and can't stay healthy would be an upgrade.

I agree. Not a Tommie Harris fan and don't think he would be an upgrade over anybody on the roster. Abrayo Franklin, Kelly Tolavou, or even Pat Williams are all big NT guys that I think would help solidify the run stopping. Franklin is probably too expensive but there really isn't anybody killing theirselves trying to sign him.

I'm missing how Garcon isn't a deep threat? He's one of the faster receivers in the league. He has a problem from time to time with easy drops, but the same has been said of Edwards...

As to Whitner, while his coverage skills may be lacking, he would provide much needed depth at safety, especially with Bullitt coming back from injury.

same here why does ever1 nto believe in garocn he is fats as :censored:

Abrayo Franklin, Kelly Tolavou, or even Pat Williams are all big NT guys that I think would help solidify the run stopping. Franklin is probably too expensive but there really isn't anybody killing theirselves trying to sign him.

I'm a fan of Kelly Tolavou, and think he'd be an asset in his own right, but he's a rotational player at best. He's not as strong as either Williams or Franklin (who just recently joined the Saints), and he doesn't dominate one on one battles. His skill set is basically that of a gap plugger. Williams and demand double teams due to strength and can withstand a double team, sometimes even beating them. Talavou is more like a goalline tackle, who can just stand up to a double team, but doesn't really demand one.

Nonetheless, I think he's a niche player at a position we need and a niche to fill.

Donte Whitner next. Former 8th pick overall (just like Jamaal Anderson) and an immediate upgrade over Melvin.

Completely agree! Lets go get Whitner and play him alongside Bethea.

After that we just need another NT to share time with Antonio Johnson and then we will be set! Maybe a CB signing too.

Braylon will be expensive and we don't need a WR. Collie is certainly a number 2 and could be a number 1 option in a few years, similar to Hines Ward, a slot player being their top threat. Garcon has the potential to be a number 2 and even a number 1 if he would work on not dropping easy catches. Hopefully this off-season has given him lots of time to work on his hands.