Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

No worries, they have a plan

Lef

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

yep. but when Luck's on a cart next year, being hauled off, i'll be right here to remind you, I called it

11 minutes ago, BrentMc11 said:

I am saying that you do not win football on the first day...you wait on the others who have not signed and the price comes down...I will say one negative thing...Colt Anderson should not be on the team just because his name is Colt... :) 

The fact that guys like toler,Thornton,walden,holmes are still on the team. I don't see any master planning there. So we rely on the draft to fill positions to get us to the super bowl or even the playoffs? Ya right. Only way that happens is if grigson gets lucky and strikes gold in this draft. I don't see it happening though

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, SteelDragon said:

I suspect the plan is to address the offensive line and pass rush via the draft this year. 

It's going to be a sensible process though. Sorry to say, it's probably going to take than one season to fill needs.   In the mean time, we're going to be paying the price for drafting miscues in recent years.

Grigson has got to do a better job of draft evaluation.

-Signed, Capt Obvious

I feel like he hits a pretty solid .500 average in the draft, which is stellar in all honesty. If you get 2-3 good starters in any given draft, most people view that as a successful haul. It's looking like we have 5-6 solid players that will be starters from last year's draft, so I'll be ecstatic with a repeat performance of that. 2013 was a bad draft, but that entire class was awful, just look around the league, it's apparent that a lot of players from that draft did not pan out. 

4 minutes ago, needanoline63 said:

The fact that guys like toler,Thornton,walden,holmes are still on the team. I don't see any master planning there. So we rely on the draft to fill positions to get us to the super bowl or even the playoffs? Ya right. Only way that happens is if grigson gets lucky and strikes gold in this draft. I don't see it happening though

Toler will not be back IMO, Walden has been a key member of the team since he got here, Thornton still can be a bad a**.  This year is his defining year IMO under Philbin.....Holmes and Harrison...very disappointing.

Once again this is only the second day of FA.  The prices yesterday were :censored2::censored2: yesterday...

Edited by BrentMc11
adding to comment.

It's time for Jimmy to retire and focus on his health. The only thing first class about this organization is the QB. Below average coach and egomaniac GM without the results to match his self-worth yield a team going nowhere. For Luck's sake I hope he can pull an Elway and somehow get traded away.

5 minutes ago, needanoline63 said:

You realize toler is not on the team....  right? 

28 minutes ago, azcolt said:

It's time for Jimmy to retire and focus on his health. The only thing first class about this organization is the QB. Below average coach and egomaniac GM without the results to match his self-worth yield a team going nowhere. For Luck's sake I hope he can pull an Elway and somehow get traded away.

So you hope Luck gets traded away?   You must be an amazing fan

1 hour ago, BrentMc11 said:

I know you have had some good posts in the past.  It sounds as if you are really frustrated.  It is, however the second day of FA.  We have our own FAs to sign too.  There is a limit on the cap...

I think that we all should be frustrated that the FAs signed in no way, shape or form deserve 85-90 million bucks.  

The salaries now need a cap like basketball with a HUGE luxury tax on those going over.....

The Colts will win the division this year..No doubt in my mind.

Wait, so you don't think Malik Jackson or Olivier Vernon deserved a JJ Watt type of contract?

8 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Wait, so you don't think Malik Jackson or Olivier Vernon deserved a JJ Watt type of contract?

No.  They set the precedent for the entire first day to get stupid in $$$$.  Again..no I do not Shaun. Bradford...Osweiler?  Hell no.  

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

Yep, they've got a plan....to waste Luck's years and to get the number 1 draft pick next year

I have felt, for a long time really, that your thoughts and comments on the Colts, the league or football in general lack a certain IQ about the game that therefore makes it hard for me to take anything you say seriously.  

Such as, you know, this particular post.  Even if cloaked in sarcasm it illustrates exactly the point.

16 minutes ago, BrentMc11 said:

Toler will not be back IMO, Walden has been a key member of the team since he got here, Thornton still can be a bad a**.  This year is his defining year IMO under Philbin.....Holmes and Harrison...very disappointing.

Once again this is only the second day of FA.  The prices yesterday were :censored2::censored2: yesterday...

Yesterday was like you enter a luxury shop and your jaw gets dropped. 

1 hour ago, UKColt13 said:

Drafting well, ala Green Bay and Seattle, and not spending ridiculous money on overhyped free agents which I wholeheartedly support.

Well, even GB and Seattle mixed in a couple of FA deals. But yes I agree, drafting well is the big thing and so far it's been a  below average proposition for Grigson.

7 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

I have felt, for a long time really, that your thoughts and comments on the Colts, the league or football in general lack a certain IQ about the game that therefore makes it hard for me to take anything you say seriously.  

Such as, you know, this particular post.  Even if cloaked in sarcasm it illustrates exactly the point.

He's not alone.

There are an uncomfortable number of posters afflicted with the same problem.....

Just saying......                    :peek:

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He's not alone.

There are an uncomfortable number of posters afflicted with the same problem.....

Just saying......                    :peek:

We don't know, but some may be 14, 15, or less.  Some just act 5 yrs old. :)

29 minutes ago, BrentMc11 said:

We are finally free of Toler the Terrible! No longer on the roster. I can finally exhale.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

We are finally free of Toler the Terrible! No longer on the roster. I can finally exhale.

I support all players when they are on our team.  Now I can say I am glad he is gone.  He showed initial flashes then the injuries mounted.

Just now, BrentMc11 said:

I support all players when they are on our team.  Now I can say I am glad he is gone.  He showed initial flashes then the injuries mounted.

Now I'm just kind of wondering who we are going to replace him with.  I want to say Hayward or Amukamara but it hasn't looked that way so far.  Knowing Grigs it's going to be some guy that nobody was thinking of.  I certainly didn't see the Greg Toler thing coming the last time we needed a #2 corner.  Seemed like a good player at the time. Brought his injury history with him  though.

I realize it's only day two of FA, and I realize teams overpay in FA. That's the name of the game, sadly. 

I'm not saying throw buckets of money at the 1st guy available at the opening minute of FA, but there's got to be a happy medium between that and waiting too long and just getting the lower tier players that nobody wants. 

I post most the players we've brought in through FA (not to necessarily pick on Grigson) but to show that he hasn't done that great with Free Agency. I'm not going to pretend to know what we are offering players that was never accepted, but he has to do a better job in Free Agency (as well as the draft). I'd say there's 4-5 hits in there, but there are also quite a few bad contracts in there as well: 

Todd Herremans, Andre Johnson, Frank Gore, Art Jones, Matt Hasselbeck, Trent Cole, Darius Butler, Hakeem Nicks, Colt AndersonMike AdamsGosder Cherilus, Aubrayo Franklin, Ricky Jean FrancoisLaRon LandryLawrence Sidbury, Donald Thomas, Greg TolerErik WaldenDonnie Avery, Mike McGlynn, Brandon McKinney, Cory ReddingSamson Satele, Tom Zbikowski.

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

Now I'm just kind of wondering who we are going to replace him with.  I want to say Hayward or Amukamara but it hasn't looked that way so far.  Knowing Grigs it's going to be some guy that nobody was thinking of.  I certainly didn't see the Greg Toler thing coming the last time we needed a #2 corner.  Seemed like a good player at the time. Brought his injury history with him  though.

It is like a game of chess...takes a little longer to make moves when the salary cap is tricky.  One thing we know is we need a safety (maybe 2) and corner (or 2)  I think we should see if we can get one of those two you mention and maybe someone off of the radar and fill in the blanks on Draft day.  Don't we have 4 picks in the 100 range of players?

4 minutes ago, BrentMc11 said:

It is like a game of chess...takes a little longer to make moves when the salary cap is tricky.  One thing we know is we need as safety (maybe 2) and corner (or 2)  I think we should see if we can get one of those two you mention and maybe someone off of the radar and fill in the blanks on Draft day.  Don' we have 4 picks in the 100 range of players?

Not sure about the picks question.  Even though Brent Grimes is old he's still the type of guy that can play nickel and on the outside as a cheap one year deal type of pick up to go along with some of the other guys we have and maybe someone else in the draft.  I had initially said no to it because of his age.  Now I'm saying no because of that lunatic wife he's married to. She'd have all the team and players business in the streets.   

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

Not sure about the picks question.  Even though Brent Grimes is old he's still the type of guy that can play nickel and on the outside as a cheap one year deal type of pick up to go along with some of the other guys we have and maybe someone else in the draft.  I had initially said no to it because of his age.  Now I'm saying no because of that lunatic wife he's married to. She'd have all the team and players business in the streets.   

I think I read that...or my mind read it...HA HA!  I have always liked Grimes.  2-yr deal...still work with Smith to be the long range CB?  Adams is not a youngster and he has been rock solid.  I feel like Machiano wants to get young...

HA HA!  McNary and former OLB Newsome for sure.

I'll say this about Grigs, I think he is better at landing value players. His big name players in FA have not panned out but snagging

players like Adams and Langford is where he has done well. Just because they have been quiet through day 1 does not mean they cannot find some good value.

I would like them to lock down

Freeman ASAP.

3 hours ago, Lef said:

Not sure what it is though. But they have to, right?  That is there job. That is the reason Jim retained Pags and Grigs - to put the best football team on the field and win championships. 

It it is fun to speculate about signing high profile free agents.  However we all know, and history is replete with examples, of teams that spend a lot (and over pay) in free agency but don't win. Plucking a few value free agents to fill roles and drafting well every year seems to be the blue print for success. 

I therefore will try to have some faith that they have a plan. It may be that the plan will take another few years to come to fruition (due to recovering from past mistakes). But what else is a fan suppose to do but have faith?  Not jumping ship so might as well. 

Ya but With exception to last year and his first year his drafts are terrible.

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Yes they can, but some players are more prone than others.  And those players can't help their teams from the bench

Injury prone is nonsense.    Matt Stafford missed 16 games his first two seasons.  All the pundits labeled him injury prone.  He hasn't missed a game since.  Injuries are a part of the game.  Allen isn't too small to play the position.   To call him injury prone is ignorant 

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

Injury prone is nonsense.    Matt Stafford missed 16 games his first two seasons.  All the pundits labeled him injury prone.  He hasn't missed a game since.  Injuries are a part of the game.  Allen isn't too small to play the position.   To call him injury prone is ignorant 

Ok if he plays all 16 games including playoffs if we get there I will take it back but until then I call them how I see them.

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

One bad play?  Is that why he broke his collar bone twice last year?   

The point is,   injuries can happen no matter how good the oline is.

I'm quite sure they will be signing some oline help.   There are more guys out there than the 8+ million dollar a year guys.  Believe it or not,  free agency lasts more than 24 hours

I think you're smart enough to realize that Romo gets injured on one pile-up in games where as Luck will get hit, knocked down and piled up on multiple times a game. We're very lucky he's so durable. 

45 minutes ago, GoDeep said:

CdKCHyiUIAAaAYU.jpg

R - E - L - A - X

Just like Real Madrid and Manchester United as of the last 6-7 years.

11 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

That's not true.  I have never seen you be right about something 

Now that is funny right there. 

1 hour ago, needanoline63 said:

Toler is a FA, 

Walden is solid, never was designed to be the rush LB and sets the edge fairly well. A tad over paid perhaps, but livalble

Holmes, well I think we cut him if and when we address the center spot

Thornton is the question mark