Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck's Knee [Merge]

I did a search for this on the forum and couldn't find a discussion about it. Has Luck had knee issues? He wears a knee brace. I'm not sure if it's precautionary or if he has had knee issues in the past. I believe it was Parcells that made all of his offensive linemen wear knee braces at practice. All the O-linemen hated it, but they all agreed that it helped prevent injuries. Why does Luck wear a knee brace?

From what I understand, it is a precautionary brace, on the plant leg for QBs in the Jim Harbaugh system. Check out Alex Smith and Colin Kapernick. They both wear left knee braces.

Manning's worn one even before the bursa sac issue. I don't know if he had issues with it in college or if it's precautionary.

This is from http://49ers.pressde...-on-alex-smith/

An interview with Jim Harbaugh back in August 2011

On whether the braces that both Smith and fellow Colin Kaepernick wear on their left knees were his idea:

“Yes. Yes, it’s like a seatbelt. You can’t fight the odds, on wearing it on the plant leg, that leg that strides out and it’s something that can prevent MCLs. That’s the thing that it’s there to prevent, the impact from the side of the leg. Even if you were to get a shot that would be a grade three [sprain], the brace could make it a grade two or a grade one or eliminate it all together. We’re trying to find ways to dodge bullets out here and give ourselves the advantage over the bullets.”

On whether the braces helps with technique at all:

“No, it’s strictly to prevent those shots from the side, or from either side, when the quarterback strides and puts all his weight on that plant foot.”

On whether the knee brace might be something the quarterbacks use in a game:

“Yes, yes.”

On whether he wore one in his playing days:

“I did, yeah. I did in college and then I didn’t until I got an MCL.”

Knee braces on the house!

Let's all go out and get knee braces tomorrow. We'll start a new tradition...when you show up to work people will say "what'd you do to your knee?" ... And we can respond "nothing, it's like a seatbelt..helps me plant my foot in those (explicit) who oppose what I say or do..you know?"

Knee braces on the house!

Let's all go out and get knee braces tomorrow. We'll start a new tradition...when you show up to work people will say "what'd you do to your knee?" ... And we can respond "nothing, it's like a seatbelt..helps me plant my foot in those (explicit) who oppose what I say or do..you know?"

I wonder what they cost?

Can I afford to buy one?

Can I afford NOT to buy one?

I guess we'll know soon enough.He'll get fully checked-out at the combine/proday events.If he has a pre-existing condition...we'll find it.I've wondered this as well.It could be a pre-arthirtic condition in his knee,if so,then we'll pass on the BIG OL' TEXAN.

P.S.They don't wear braces just to make a fall fashion splash.He must feel some sort of weakness when he plants and goes through his rotations.I know alot about the QB position,because i've played it for the duration of my entire life.I also suffer from the same condition as manning(neck).The good news is once the neck becomes a solid structure it will be pain free and stronger.However,he will lose his ability to quickly turn his neck from side-to-side,so as he goes through his WR progressions he'll have to turn his body...not his neck.This will make his release a little slower,but this can also be corrected if he plays from the shotgun formation primarily.Its VASTLY IMPORTANT that we continue to build our O-LINE to give him more time to throw and go through his progressions.

P.S.They don't wear braces just to make a fall fashion splash.He must feel some sort of weakness when he plants and goes through his rotations.I know alot about the QB position,because i've played it for the duration of my entire life.

I think Jim Harbaugh also knows a little about football, and the QB position, having played it at the NFL level. I don't think he considers the knee brace as a fall fashion statement. From the interview I posted above, he was clear as to the preventative function of the knee brace that he makes his NFL (and college) QBs wear,

I think Jim Harbaugh also knows a little about football, and the QB position, having played it at the NFL level. I don't think he considers the knee brace as a fall fashion statement. From the interview I posted above, he was clear as to the preventative function of the knee brace that he makes his NFL (and college) QBs wear,

Yes,i'm aware of it.I remember jim(harbaugh)wearing it all-the-time.But it usually does come from a pre-existing condition,even if its a minor one.I've also seem andrew(luck)slightly limping in numerous games for the past two years.I don't know if the knee brace causes that or not,but its concerning.

Its VASTLY IMPORTANT that we continue to build our O-LINE to give him more time to throw and go through his progressions.

Yeah I'd agree with this. No doubting the guy has potential but there's no chance to let that grow if he's only got a second to get the pass off.

Yeah I'd agree with this. No doubting the guy has potential but there's no chance to let that grow if he's only got a second to get the pass off.

I would love...absolutely love to get D.DeCastro(G) in the draft.But it would be tough to pull that off,because of where he's expected to go(draft wise).The guy has G.O.A.T. written all over him(position standpoint).

I would love...absolutely love to get D.DeCastro(G) in the draft.But it would be tough to pull that off,because of where he's expected to go(draft wise).The guy has G.O.A.T. written all over him(position standpoint).

I said a few weeks ago he's quality, if we somehow ended up with him and Luck (won't happen but one can dream) then as well as having a quality pair they're Stanford boys, would work perfectly. Whoever gets him is set at G for years though.

I said a few weeks ago he's quality, if we somehow ended up with him and Luck (won't happen but one can dream) then as well as having a quality pair they're Stanford boys, would work perfectly. Whoever gets him is set at G for years though.

IMO,they can already(unless injured) make the mold for canton for him(DeCastro).He's the best i've ever seen at this position...hands down.From day one;he's an allpro and best in the NFL.

http://www.fox59.com...,4055248.column

They kind of talk breifly at it during the end of the article.

I think BP is mistaken. To my knowledge (and I follow Stanford football), Andrew Luck does not have a knee injury.

BP may be making the same incorrect assumption from seeing Luck wear a knee brace, as others in this thread did. As explained above earlier in this thread, all Jim Harbaugh QBs wear them as a preventative measure (against MCL tears) .

The only mention of Luck having a bad knee aside from your article above that I was able to find was here: http://www.thephinsi...-the-first-pick

However, I think the mention was meant as humor, and not to convey any fact.

I think BP is confusing RG3 who had his ACL torn in his sophomore year, for which he received a medical hardship redshirt.

I think BP is mistaken. To my knowledge (and I follow Stanford football), Andrew Luck does not have a knee injury.

BP may be making the same incorrect assumption from seeing Luck wear a knee brace, as others in this thread did. As explained above earlier in this thread, all Jim Harbaugh QBs wear them as a preventative measure (against MCL tears) .

The only mention of Luck having a bad knee aside from your article above that I was able to find was here: http://www.thephinsi...-the-first-pick

However, I think the mention was meant as humor, and not to convey any fact.

I think BP is confusing RG3 who had his ACL torn in his sophomore year, for which he received a medical hardship redshirt.

Interesting, yeah he sure as heck doesn't look like he has a knee injury, not with the way he out runs those LBs, lol.

Luck ears a knee brace because of a knee injury in Sophmore year. That was the reason he was red-shirted. It is one of the negatives on him.

From my understanding, Luck played his entire sophomore year, and only missed the bowl game when he broke a finger in the Notre Dame game. He red-shirted his freshman year to learn the system under Harbaugh.

Luck wears a knee brace, as explained above in previous posts, because he is a QB in the Harbaugh system. All Harbaugh QBs wear knee braces on their plant leg. Check out Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick.

I think you are confusing him with RG3 who suffered an ACL tear his sophomore year.

http://www.scoresrep...es-a-statement/

From my understanding, Luck played his entire sophomore year, and only missed the bowl game when he broke a finger in the Notre Dame game. He red-shirted his freshman year to learn the system under Harbaugh.

Luck wears a knee brace, as explained above in previous posts, because he is a QB in the Harbaugh system. All Harbaugh QBs wear knee braces on their plant leg. Check out Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick.

I think you are confusing him with RG3 who suffered an ACL tear his sophomore year.

http://www.scoresrep...es-a-statement/

You could be correct. I will look it up again. I saw it CBSSports draft prospects for this year.

Luck ears a knee brace because of a knee injury in Sophmore year. That was the reason he was red-shirted. It is one of the negatives on him.

Harbaugh has all his qbs wear them. One of the negatives on him? Not true

You could be correct. I will look it up again. I saw it CBSSports draft prospects for this year.

I am correct.

Here is the CBSSports draft prospect report for Luck:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1631912/andrew-luck

It says, under the injuries section: "2009: suffered a broken right index finger against Notre Dame and missed the Sun Bowl."

Here is the CBSSports draft prospect report for RG3:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1620788/robert-griffin-iii

It says, under the 2009 section: " 2009 Season

Started season's first three games at quarterback before sustaining season-ending knee injury in third game of true sophomore season in 2009 …

• 1 month later...

Are you satisfied that the research I have provided confirmed that Luck does not have any knee injury?

And that in fact, it is RG3 that had the ACL torn in his sophomore year?

The recent Sports Illustrated issue that covered the Saints scandal with Jonathan Vilma on the cover also had an article titled "Life After Luck".... and a picture of the 4 Stanford QBs competing as Luck's successor as they drop back to pass.

Every single one of them had the exact same kind of knee brace on their plant leg.

This is a Stanford thing.... not the result of a knee injury to Luck.