Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson Rocks!

unitaswestand

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the guy. I know people say he has a keen eye for talent, which is the utmost importance. But he is very intense, seems very organized, and since he is an ex-player, he seems to relate well with players. I think this guy is a great choice!!

The media ain't gonna like him. He had the audacity to look them in the eyes and laugh at their silly questions regarding Manning. He strikes me as the type that isn't taking any crap. I foresee more fire on the Colts sidelines in our future.

im sure grigson was a big part of the firing but i think irsay had a hand in it also. therefore my new word for the colts decision maker is......GRIGSAY! so i think Grigsay decided it was time for new leadership (which i totally agree) i think caldwell is a great human being but he has never impressed me with any coaching call that he has ever made. to me he lived by the coaching 101 handbook. i think we need a new staff with more passion and fire and DEFINETELY better on field decisions. im really excited moving forward into next year. now....who are we going to get???? im sure Grigsay has a plan!!!

Wow - it really is a new era! Love it!

This really could mean they are willing to move on without Manning. Bob Kravitz seems to think so. They have to make the decision quick and March 8 is fast approaching and we are not hearing ANY updates on Manning's health. Has the Luck era begun already?

The media ain't gonna like him. He had the audacity to look them in the eyes and laugh at their silly questions regarding Manning. He strikes me as the type that isn't taking any crap. I foresee more fire on the Colts sidelines in our future.

Where did he do this? Is it in a press video?

I thought that the press conference as a whole was pretty depressing. The first conference Griggson just looked raw and nervous. I've read a couple of encouraging things since he was hired about his work ethic and eye for talent, but superficially the more I see of him the less I like him - and the more obvious it is that Irsay is taking an incredibly active roll in football operations. I wish that we could trust his decision making a little bit more. And the reference to a 7 hour meeting with Caldwell, and letting him participate in the Spagnolo interview - and THEN firing him was just so dysfunctional as to be disturbing. If you are going to make a change for changes sake, than just get it done. That sequence of events made no sense what-so-ever unless in the middle of the meeting they decided that they would rather have Spagnolo as head coach instead of DC - which is just a bizarre thought.

There were a lot of hints (Griggson not bothering to speak with "his" franchise QB yet, nor with any of the lower coaches, and dismissing the significance of maintaining the offensive system for Peyton, Irsay emphasizing the need to balance the salary cap on offense and defense, the emphasis on "rebuilding", and the significant number of holes in the roster, Irsays repeated references to 1998, Griggsons use of the nickname "Spags", and wavering about whether he would be hired for DC before the head coach was hired - then smiling nervously, etc) which suggest that we are about to undergo a complete rebuild, with a defensive minded head coach - perhaps Spagnolo. The Colts have had a distinctive flair for the past 14 years, and it seems more and more likely that the "painful change" that Irsay keeps alluding to involves going in a completely different direction. Perhaps with a distinctive Philly Eagles feel to it. But the Colts don't play in the frigid northeast, they play in a dome - and personally I've enjoyed their "flair" these recent years like I've never enjoyed football before in my life. If Peyton's career is over, than change is inevitable. But this smells of "change for the sake of change". It makes me extremely uncomfortable.

Where did he do this? Is it in a press video?

During his presser an hour ago or so, when asked about Manning, he laughed briefly and cracked a big 'ol grin before explaining that this presser was called to discuss the Caldwell firing and not to discuss Manning. It wasn't a dramatic event, just a subtle laugh. Struck me as funny.

This really could mean they are willing to move on without Manning. Bob Kravitz seems to think so. They have to make the decision quick and March 8 is fast approaching and we are not hearing ANY updates on Manning's health. Has the Luck era begun already?

It's possible. I LOVE Manning - he is the franchise. But to move on from a 36 year old (in a couple months) QB with health concerns wouldn't be out of the question. I will support the team no matter what happens with Peyton.

One comment about Grigson is it was speculated they moved away from Polian because of his arrogance and hard guy routine...well, watching Grigson, he's not a lot different. He seems to have a chip on his shoulder and is not smooth by any means. None of us are going to care one bit about that if he brings in talent and establish a hard nosed football team and mentality. I thought one of Irsay's prerequisites was to have someone who was going to be somewhat communicative with a small market like Indy. Grigson is far from that....but if he wins...who cares? Correct?

I thought that the press conference as a whole was pretty depressing. The first conference Griggson just looked raw and nervous. I've read a couple of encouraging things since he was hired about his work ethic and eye for talent, but superficially the more I see of him the less I like him - and the more obvious it is that Irsay is taking an incredibly active roll in football operations. I wish that we could trust his decision making a little bit more. And the reference to a 7 hour meeting with Caldwell, and letting him participate in the Spagnolo interview - and THEN firing him was just so dysfunctional as to be disturbing. If you are going to make a change for changes sake, than just get it done. That sequence of events made no sense what-so-ever unless in the middle of the meeting they decided that they would rather have Spagnolo as head coach instead of DC - which is just a bizarre thought.

There were a lot of hints (Griggson not bothering to speak with "his" franchise QB yet, nor with any of the lower coaches, and dismissing the significance of maintaining the offensive system for Peyton, Irsay emphasizing the need to balance the salary cap on offense and defense, the emphasis on "rebuilding", and the significant number of holes in the roster, Irsays repeated references to 1998, Griggsons use of the nickname "Spags", and wavering about whether he would be hired for DC before the head coach was hired - then smiling nervously, etc) which suggest that we are about to undergo a complete rebuild, with a defensive minded head coach - perhaps Spagnolo. The Colts have had a distinctive flair for the past 14 years, and it seems more and more likely that the "painful change" that Irsay keeps alluding to involves going in a completely different direction. Perhaps with a distinctive Philly Eagles feel to it. But the Colts don't play in the frigid northeast, they play in a dome - and personally I've enjoyed their "flair" these recent years like I've never enjoyed football before in my life. If Peyton's career is over, than change is inevitable. But this smells of "change for the sake of change". It makes me extremely uncomfortable.

Interesting take. I actually felt almost completely opposite. The Caldwell thing is strange, but maybe having him in the Spags interview was a way for Grigson to evaluate how he would work with someone like Spags. Maybe Spags didn't want to come to Indy because of Caldwell and that made Grigson/Irsay think that they cannot bring in the talent they need for the coaching staff with JC as head coach. I would imagine anyone would be hesitant to come to Indy under JC since he only had one year left on his contract. That is not job security. So maybe the decision was either give JC an extension (ha!) or fire him, or risk the chance of not being able to infuse coaching talent on a staff that has a one-year leash.

I have a feeling that the Manning situation is going to come down to Peyton. I think they( Grigs, and Irsay) are looking to go into a new direction with balance on offense as well as defense. This means, to me, that they are looking for Peyton or the QB to be ready to learn a new offense. Its up to Peyton to want to learn it.

I have a feeling that the Manning situation is going to come down to Peyton. I think they( Grigs, and Irsay) are looking to go into a new direction with balance on offense as well as defense. This means, to me, that they are looking for Peyton or the QB to be ready to learn a new offense. Its up to Peyton to want to learn it.

Peyton won't be learning any new offense, the salary of the colts itself will be more balanced not what they do.

Peyton won't be learning any new offense, the salary of the colts itself will be more balanced not what they do.

Here's how Phil Richards of the Indianapolis Star described the situation

Whether or not Caldwell’s entire staff will be jettisoned isn’t clear. To do so would mean a new offensive staff with no working knowledge of the “check with me” no-huddle offense developed over franchise quarterback Peyton Manning’s 14 years with the team.

If the Colts don’t pay a $28 million option bonus due March 8, he becomes an unrestricted free agent. If the bonus is paid and Manning is the Colts quarterback next season, he presumably would be learning a new offense.

That would seem to make the retention of offensive coordinator Clyde Christensen and several offensive assistants a possibility.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20120117/SPORTS03/120116040/Colts-f...

Whether or not Caldwell’s entire staff will be jettisoned isn’t clear. To do so would mean a new offensive staff with no working knowledge of the “check with me” no-huddle offense developed over franchise quarterback Peyton Manning’s 14 years with the team.

If the Colts don’t pay a $28 million option bonus due March 8, he becomes an unrestricted free agent. If the bonus is paid and Manning is the Colts quarterback next season, he presumably would be learning a new offense.

That would seem to make the retention of offensive coordinator Clyde Christensen and several offensive assistants a possibility.

I hope they keep Clyde at least. If Peyton comes back that is.

Clyde Christensen will not lose his job, so peyton having to learn a new offense should not be a problem because whos to say that HC will implement a new offense?... you cant fix something that isnt broken.

Its not going to be the same offense man. Moore gone, Caldwell gone which means Clydes gone as well. There is no offense.

Clyde will not be gone because he has done a good job with what the colts have, if the HC dont like him then yea he very well could be gone but i dont think that will happen.... as for peyton learning a new offense i doubt that will happen for the simple fact why would you want peyton to learn a new offense when the one he's running there's nothing wrong with it?

He did show some personal force today. It's a new style of leadership.

He did show some personal force today. It's a new style of leadership.

He said "me n Jim" while looking nervously in Irsay's direction for approval WAY too much for my liking. Too much "I'm a man, he's a man, we need more men around here" bravado. Perhaps it's just that he reminds me of a couple of unqualified nitwits that I've personally seen placed in positions that they weren't ready for, but I'm having trouble warming up to him. He strikes me as someone who is used to physically intimidating people with his presence, while being so uncomfortable that he can't look them in the eye while he is doing it. But that firm handshake takes care of a lot of things, because - after all - "hes a man". :P That's not my idea of leadership.

My hope is that he has such an incredible eye for talent that none of this means anything - but that describes a good "Director of Player Personel", not the voice of your franchise. It will take a long time to see what he is really made of, but I'm very wary and uncomfortable at this point.

He said "me n Jim" while looking nervously in Irsay's direction for approval WAY too much for my liking. Too much "I'm a man, he's a man, we need more men around here" bravado. Perhaps it's just that he reminds me of a couple of unqualified nitwits that I've personally seen placed in positions that they weren't ready for, but I'm having trouble warming up to him. He strikes me as someone who is used to physically intimidating people with his presence, while being so uncomfortable that he can't look them in the eye while he is doing it. But that firm handshake takes care of a lot of things, because - after all - "hes a man". :P That's not my idea of leadership.

My hope is that he has such an incredible eye for talent that none of this means anything - but that describes a good "Director of Player Personel", not the voice of your franchise. It will take a long time to see what he is really made of, but I'm very wary and uncomfortable at this point.

I felt like we were seeing a man in a new job......with a lot to do. Not sure he was yet on the same page with Irsay probably in terms of how to address the media

I just think he's flat out not used to public speaking at this point. He will get better as he goes along. I think he's still feeling the position out and that's understandable. He's been here like five days. Talent on the field will trump any kind of presser or media relations issues.

During his presser an hour ago or so, when asked about Manning, he laughed briefly and cracked a big 'ol grin before explaining that this presser was called to discuss the Caldwell firing and not to discuss Manning. It wasn't a dramatic event, just a subtle laugh. Struck me as funny.

Is it on Colts.com? I don't live in Indiana so I don't see the stuff on television.

Anyone catch him say today that he missed the call from Peyton Manning and hadn't called him back yet? I would think talking to Peyton Manning would make it on to my to do list.

I just think the way he handled the Caldwell thing was well strange. He said Caldwell was invovled with the interview for Spags and then something lead Caldwell to think his staff was safe because he told them that and sent them on vacation.

Also he really sounds like he's about to go off on the media and gets tired of their questions. After he beats up Philip B. and Kravitz once or twice for asking in his mind stupid questions they might be begging to have Polian back because all he did was ignore them.

With that said I don't really care about any of the above as long as they win games.

It's funny to me how many "profilers" we have on this board all of a sudden. Not discounting your opinion or anything, it's just that I think it's virtually impossible to know very much of anything about a person just from seeing a couple pressers and trying to read his body language.

Another thing: The #1 fear among most people is public speaking. Most people avoid it as much as they can all of their lives. I happen to love it, but I've been doing it since I was five years old (no exaggeration). I understand someone not being "polished" as a public speaker, not being savvy in front of the media, and all that. It's a tough thing.

Clyde will not be gone because he has done a good job with what the colts have, if the HC dont like him then yea he very well could be gone but i dont think that will happen.... as for peyton learning a new offense i doubt that will happen for the simple fact why would you want peyton to learn a new offense when the one he's running there's nothing wrong with it?

I am not hating on Clyde. I think he as done Ok as the OC. But, this offense has not been the same offense it was in the past. Even with Peyton the last few years, the offense hasnt been the scoring machine it used to be. I am not saying Peyton hasnt put up numbers, but that about it. The running game fell off the side of a mountian a few years ago. That has made Peyton MVP quality just because he put everything on his shoulders. I am just saying that a new HC usually brings in his own guys, not always. Lets remember a few years ago when Clyde took over as OC, he had some haters after him. Just saying. If he goes, then yes, Peyton will have to learn a new offense.WIll it be something he cant handle? No, of course not. But, if the Colts dont sign Wayne or Garcon and install a new offense, then Peyton might not want to come back if he even could.