Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson Rocks!

unitaswestand

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it so hard to believe the team is rebuilding? The window for a SB for this old team has CLOSED. People talked about it closing years ago and now it has. The Colts are simply rebuilding to make another run and the #1 is a great place to start. We WILL win again. Peyton only won 3 games his first year. It will probably take at least two seasons but we will be back and the way to do it is not to throw a ton of money at aging and declining players. It's hard to let go of a successful era......I get that.......but a new era is beginning and I find it exciting. Just imagine if the team actually gets good in the areas of Defense, Special Teams, and Running Game. It's been so long.

Teams really can't rebuild like they could in the past, prior to free agency. They fill the skill positions with the top talent and find adequate talent to plug the gaps. Every year every team loses some of its key people. Every year teams pick up replacements for their key people from the other teams that are losing them. Kinda a team shuffle. Each team does what it takes to hold on to whichever pieces of the puzzle they deem most important. So it's not true rebuilding. Most fans want to win now. Chicago and Houston are two good examples and there are others of teams with great defenses, good running games, and excellent special teams that lost out last season for the lack of a good QB.

If fans really believe a team is going to sacrifice a few years many of them will take the attitude of "let me know when we're in the hunt and I'll get tickets again'. Short sighted. Sure. That's fandom though.

Your opinion may be right about the window being closed on this team. I don't buy into it though. This team made strides with its running game this past season. We uncovered a new set of talented linebackers and a healthy improvement in the Dline. Put a solid deep threat receiver opposite Reggie Wayne and watch what happens. There is absolutely no reason why we can't build for the future and play for now too!

I wonder how often fans in Cleveland have thought, "we're just a couple years away from having a new and competitive team". There are no guarantees. The highest probabilities for the Colts rest with a healthy Peyton Manning.

Just be Patient!!!

Haven't read the replies as I want to post my thoughts on how I think them without outside influence. He is a fiery person. His presser after the Caldwell firing was most impressive. He has fire and a drive to be excellent where Polian just seemed resigned to me. He want people to understand that he is putting out an A+++ effort to win games and is annoyed when the media doubts he hasn't pt in every inkling of thought possible. I believe he has talked to Peyton no matter what the interview says... and I believe they are on the same page, Peyton isn't happy. This is his team now though, and I am comfortable for now leaving it in his hands. I will be a Manning supporter until he dies but I love the direction and hard nosed direction that the Colts are taking. No one player is bigger than the team even if his attendance means playoffs. With the rebuilding process they are saying we want to win SB's but we don't have the talent to do it now. They want to do it the right way the first time.

You can make the playoffs on 1 QB in a weak division. You can win SB's with a balanced team with a good not great QB. (Giants, Ravens, 49'ers. If the Patroits win I stand corrected.)

Haven't read the replies as I want to post my thoughts on how I think them without outside influence. He is a fiery person. His presser after the Caldwell firing was most impressive. He has fire and a drive to be excellent where Polian just seemed resigned to me. He want people to understand that he is putting out an A+++ effort to win games and is annoyed when the media doubts he hasn't pt in every inkling of thought possible. I believe he has talked to Peyton no matter what the interview says... and I believe they are on the same page, Peyton isn't happy. This is his team now though, and I am comfortable for now leaving it in his hands. I will be a Manning supporter until he dies but I love the direction and hard nosed direction that the Colts are taking. No one player is bigger than the team even if his attendance means playoffs. With the rebuilding process they are saying we want to win SB's but we don't have the talent to do it now. They want to do it the right way the first time.

You can make the playoffs on 1 QB in a weak division. You can win SB's with a balanced team with a good not great QB. (Giants, Ravens, 49'ers. If the Patroits win I stand corrected.)

It was Grigson himself who said that him and Peyton had not spoken. Now granted that could have changed between now and the presser.

It was Grigson himself who said that him and Peyton had not spoken. Now granted that could have changed between now and the presser.

Sorry it is late and I am slightly out of it. Grigson said it and I agree, and now that I think about it I agree they haven't spoken (slight consipiracy theorist) but I believe Manning isn't happy and Grigson knows it. I also think Grigson isn't in any hurry to deal with that at this point in time. Just clarifying my thoughts on the ordeal. Sorry 21 y/o on a wednesday night with no work the next day... has to be expceted not to leave concise statements in the forum right? lol

Sorry it is late and I am slightly out of it. Grigson said it and I agree, and now that I think about it I agree they haven't spoken (slight consipiracy theorist) but I believe Manning isn't happy and Grigson knows it. I also think Grigson isn't in any hurry to deal with that at this point in time. Just clarifying my thoughts on the ordeal. Sorry 21 y/o on a wednesday night with no work the next day... has to be expceted not to leave concise statements in the forum right? lol

No big deal.

There could be several reasons they haven't talked. Grigson has a lot of on his plate it could be legit he just hasn't had a chance to get back to Peyton. It could also be he's tryng to send Peyton a message of I am in charge or maybe he knows they are planning on moving without Peyton Manning so he's in no hurry to talk to him. All that is pure speculation. No one really knows why he hasn't. I just thought it was telling that Grigson worked that into his presser but I'll admit I could very well be reading way too much into it.

No big deal.

There could be several reasons they haven't talked. Grigson has a lot of on his plate it could be legit he just hasn't had a chance to get back to Peyton. It could also be he's tryng to send Peyton a message of I am in charge or maybe he knows they are planning on moving without Peyton Manning so he's in no hurry to talk to him. All that is pure speculation. No one really knows why he hasn't. I just thought it was telling that Grigson worked that into his presser but I'll admit I could very well be reading way too much into it.

I have read your posts many times in my browsing in a long while. I agree with alot of the logic you say in lots of posts. You keep an open mind (as many others do) about reasoning behind certain FO moves that I can not, which I appreciate. It gives me new views on all the stuff I really do not understand about Football. But in this case I believe that it is truly a Grigson/Irsay run team now and that it will come down to 2-3 people's say on how to run this team. When Polian became the sole voice of this team he became bigger than the team. Now it is reigned in and I believe that it will be a joint venture between owner/GM/HC from now on. Grigson seems to be a fiery person who wants to win and win now, but he also wants to win long term and whether Peyton is on board with that or not is an unknown. The HC they bring in will be a long term guy (again this is my speculation) because they have a long term approach in mind starting with Luck. When I listened to that presser it almost seemed like Grigson was insulted that the media doubted his commitment to winning and his logic behind the moves. The guy strikes me as a winner. That I guess is why I like him.

I have a feeling that the Manning situation is going to come down to Peyton. I think they( Grigs, and Irsay) are looking to go into a new direction with balance on offense as well as defense. This means, to me, that they are looking for Peyton or the QB to be ready to learn a new offense. Its up to Peyton to want to learn it.

I think Peyton can run the offense fine all by himself with no coaching. Colts still have some good and improving WR's, TE & RB. And a balanced team probably means running/passing offense, better D, and better ST.

I have read your posts many times in my browsing in a long while. I agree with alot of the logic you say in lots of posts. You keep an open mind (as many others do) about reasoning behind certain FO moves that I can not, which I appreciate. It gives me new views on all the stuff I really do not understand about Football. But in this case I believe that it is truly a Grigson/Irsay run team now and that it will come down to 2-3 people's say on how to run this team. When Polian became the sole voice of this team he became bigger than the team. Now it is reigned in and I believe that it will be a joint venture between owner/GM/HC from now on. Grigson seems to be a fiery person who wants to win and win now, but he also wants to win long term and whether Peyton is on board with that or not is an unknown. The HC they bring in will be a long term guy (again this is my speculation) because they have a long term approach in mind starting with Luck. When I listened to that presser it almost seemed like Grigson was insulted that the media doubted his commitment to winning and his logic behind the moves. The guy strikes me as a winner. That I guess is why I like him.

Oh don't get me wrong I am not taking a run at you for anything you said.

I was just throwing out what I took away from it. Like I said i freely admit it's pure speculation on my part and it could be 100% wrong and I could be reading into something that is just simply Grigson really hasn't had a chance to call Peyton back. I mean no one knows when he called, maybe he called during the interview with Spags. What was he going to do say "oh excuse me Spags I gotta take this." I just thought it was odd and sorta telling he worked it into his presser. I could be reading way too much into it.

Like I said in another threads it's hard to fairly judge anyone who has been on the job for a week rather it be good or bad.

I don't doubt that Grigson wants to win I am just think he comes across a little fly by the seat of your pants, (the whole way the Caldwell thing went down was odd but again we don't know the full story there) but then again he has A LOT going on right now. I think it's too early to judge him so I am more than willing to wait it out for a while.

I noticed his shortness with the media in his first presser and then saw it again in this one. I took at as he was getting annoyed with their questions. Frankly I tought most of the questions you have to expect the media to ask in those situations but then again this is Grigson's first crack at this so I am sure he has some learning to do and maybe working with the media is one of them.

With all this said if he builds us a winner I really don't care how short he is with the media or if he does fly by the seat of his pants a little bit. Just like i didn't care that Polian was a jerk when we were winning.

I do agree with you that I think there is going to be more of a joint aproach to things. With that said, the less Irsay has to do with football moves the better. I've lived threw his football judgements before and I have no desire to live thew them again. With that said I think Irsay is only going to make limited calls like I think firing Caldwell was his final call and I think Manning will be his call and I think what we do with the top pick and who will be the new coach will be his calls as well. Other than that I think he will trust Grigson so I don't think he'll be an Al Davis or anything. Also I think he's going to listen to Grigson on all those calls.

I am wondering why Manning would be unhappy?? I would think he is estastic. The guy sucks it up, but finally everyone sees how much he has had to shoulder for years!!! Now we get Grigson in and hopefully a good coach to put a more balanced team around him. Much like what Shanahan did the last few years with Elway. That works out well for both of them.

So honestly, I don't understand why Manning would be upset? But I guess it goes back to all the talk that Polian and Manning were at odds. Yet, when Polian was fired, Manning talked about how they were just together and how much he liked Polian. So you can't ever by into that talk.

I am wondering why Manning would be unhappy?? I would think he is estastic. The guy sucks it up, but finally everyone sees how much he has had to shoulder for years!!! Now we get Grigson in and hopefully a good coach to put a more balanced team around him. Much like what Shanahan did the last few years with Elway. That works out well for both of them.

So honestly, I don't understand why Manning would be upset? But I guess it goes back to all the talk that Polian and Manning were at odds. Yet, when Polian was fired, Manning talked about how they were just together and how much he liked Polian. So you can't ever by into that talk.

All Manning has had to do is his job - I doubt very much that he lies awake at night feeling sorry for himself for all the things he has to "shoulder". The entire team was designed around him - what did he have to "suck up".

But the problem now is that his career is on the line and he has to rehab rehab rehab rehab. That's more than enough. Dropping "learn an entire new offense, develop timing with new teammates, and deal with the politics of new coaches and management - very likely having less control than he did previously" into the middle of his issues is NOT good news for him. Nor likely for us.

All Manning has had to do is his job - I doubt very much that he lies awake at night feeling sorry for himself for all the things he has to "shoulder". The entire team was designed around him - what did he have to "suck up".

But the problem now is that his career is on the line and he has to rehab rehab rehab rehab. That's more than enough. Dropping "learn an entire new offense, develop timing with new teammates, and deal with the politics of new coaches and management - very likely having less control than he did previously" into the middle of his issues is NOT good news for him. Nor likely for us.

Teams have turnover all the time. We're one of the rare teams that has held our front office and coaching staff mostly in tact over the past decade. That's not a common occurence.

Let's assume Manning isn't going to retire. Let's assume he still wants to play, and gets medically cleared before March. Why do poeple assume that, because the Colts changed personnel, that he'd want to go play for a different team? Isn't that a more jarring change of circumstance? The idea that he would want to leave because we made drastic changes seems counterproductive to me. If he leaves, he's going to have to deal with a new owner, a new team, a new fanbase, a new front office, a new staff, a new team, a new system. Why wouldn't he stay here, and only have to deal with half of that? Add to that the fact that he's married and just had kids. Would he want to move his family to someplace new?

I can't see Manning saying "I still want to play, but I'd rather go start over somewhere else, because Irsay fired Polian and Caldwell and brought in a bunch of new people that I don't know. So I'm going to take my family and leave the only team I've ever played for, including an owner that's twice made me the highest paid player in the NFL, and go work with a bunch of new people that I don't know, in a new city, and start over."

Teams have turnover all the time. We're one of the rare teams that has held our front office and coaching staff mostly in tact over the past decade. That's not a common occurence.

Let's assume Manning isn't going to retire. Let's assume he still wants to play, and gets medically cleared before March. Why do poeple assume that, because the Colts changed personnel, that he'd want to go play for a different team? Isn't that a more jarring change of circumstance? The idea that he would want to leave because we made drastic changes seems counterproductive to me. If he leaves, he's going to have to deal with a new owner, a new team, a new fanbase, a new front office, a new staff, a new team, a new system. Why wouldn't he stay here, and only have to deal with half of that? Add to that the fact that he's married and just had kids. Would he want to move his family to someplace new?

I can't see Manning saying "I still want to play, but I'd rather go start over somewhere else, because Irsay fired Polian and Caldwell and brought in a bunch of new people that I don't know. So I'm going to take my family and leave the only team I've ever played for, including an owner that's twice made me the highest paid player in the NFL, and go work with a bunch of new people that I don't know, in a new city, and start over."

Are you agreeing with me and expounding on it? You might want to say that. Because it sounds like you think I'm expressing concern that he'd want to go play for another team. I've never said anything of the kind. I've expressed concern that Grigson and Polian either know that he has little chance of returning, or are planning to move on without him regardless, but my comment was purely related to the fact that somebody who is desperately focusing on prepping their body won't benefit from having to devote enormous amounts of time and energy to something that is completely unrelated (and in my opinion unneccessary). And once again, the fact that Grigson has dismissed this issue as being irrelevent is one of the things that leads me to believe that they are planning on moving on in the first place.

Are you agreeing with me and expounding on it? You might want to say that. Because it sounds like you think I'm expressing concern that he'd want to go play for another team. I've never said anything of the kind. I've expressed concern that Grigson and Polian either know that he has little chance of returning, or are planning to move on without him regardless, but my comment was purely related to the fact that somebody who is desperately focusing on prepping their body won't benefit from having to devote enormous amounts of time and energy to something that is completely unrelated (and in my opinion unneccessary). And once again, the fact that Grigson has dismissed this issue as being irrelevent is one of the things that leads me to believe that they are planning on moving on in the first place.

I wasn't speaking to what Irsay and Grigson are thinking or planning.

I was kind of just picking up on the idea that a lot of people are expressing, that Manning might want to leave because we got rid of Polian and Caldwell. Your post kind of had a similar tone, but like you said, he has a lot more to worry about than having a new coach and GM. He's got to get healthy and get back on the field, and nothing else really matters. It would make zero sense for him to want to leave.

Back to Grigson and Irsay, I prefer to assume that they aren't thinking about Manning's issues until they get some information about whether he's ready to play or not. Then I think they'll get on about whether to pick up his option or try to get him to restructure. I figure it's one of those two, and it makes no sense to try to figure it out until they have more information. I really hope we keep Manning. I hope he's able to keep playing, and I hope he retires as a Colt. That said, Irsay is going to do what he thinks is best. Can't worry about that for the next two months without driving myself crazy.

I wasn't speaking to what Irsay and Grigson are thinking or planning.

I was kind of just picking up on the idea that a lot of people are expressing, that Manning might want to leave because we got rid of Polian and Caldwell. Your post kind of had a similar tone, but like you said, he has a lot more to worry about than having a new coach and GM. He's got to get healthy and get back on the field, and nothing else really matters. It would make zero sense for him to want to leave.

Back to Grigson and Irsay, I prefer to assume that they aren't thinking about Manning's issues until they get some information about whether he's ready to play or not. Then I think they'll get on about whether to pick up his option or try to get him to restructure. I figure it's one of those two, and it makes no sense to try to figure it out until they have more information. I really hope we keep Manning. I hope he's able to keep playing, and I hope he retires as a Colt. That said, Irsay is going to do what he thinks is best. Can't worry about that for the next two months without driving myself crazy.

I think grigson will have no say whatsoever in deciding peyton's future or if we pick-up his option.I think that responsibility is entirely jim irsay's.But like you said,...we'll know soon enough,so no sense in worrying about it now.

I can't help it!I must ask!You're the one and only superman,right?!I have a couple of questions for you,may i?Do you sleep in LUCK pajama's at night?Do you have LUCK'S poster on your wall?HAHAHAHAHA!

SORRY,I COULDN'T RESIST~.

I think grigson will have no say whatsoever in deciding peyton's future or if we pick-up his option.I think that responsibility is entirely jim irsay's.But like you said,...we'll know soon enough,so no sense in worrying about it now.

I can't help it!I must ask!You're the one and only superman,right?!I have a couple of questions for you,may i?Do you sleep in LUCK pajama's at night?Do you have LUCK'S poster on your wall?HAHAHAHAHA!

SORRY,I COULDN'T RESIST~.

Uhh, thanks. Always like meeting fans...

I think a better question is if you are Superman is can you talk to Clark Kent and have him give Kravitz and Phil B a lession on how to be a newspaper writer?

:clap:

I noticed in Kravitz's article today that he apparently teach college journalism!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.