Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson Rocks!

unitaswestand

I thought that the press conference as a whole was pretty depressing. The first conference Griggson just looked raw and nervous.

Ultimately, he is here to do contracts and select talent. I don't give a flying fat baby's behind about anything else. Perhaps that just me.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's funny to me how many "profilers" we have on this board all of a sudden. Not discounting your opinion or anything, it's just that I think it's virtually impossible to know very much of anything about a person just from seeing a couple pressers and trying to read his body language.

Another thing: The #1 fear among most people is public speaking. Most people avoid it as much as they can all of their lives. I happen to love it, but I've been doing it since I was five years old (no exaggeration). I understand someone not being "polished" as a public speaker, not being savvy in front of the media, and all that. It's a tough thing.

Oh absolutely. My comments are purely my own barely informed opinion based on 2-3 brief and superficial samples. I VERY much hope that I'm wrong. The fact that he may not like public speaking is certainly a consideration, and something that I can very much relate to. I also happen to hate macho posturing - but I'm sure that some on here will love it, thinking that it's relevant to a sport where physical domination is so important. The guy running a coal mine doesn't need to be particularly skilled with a pick axe - he's just administering a business - but to each his own.

The thing is, I'm also old enough (and experienced enough in management positions at small business's) to recognize the dynamic between Irsay and Grigson - particularly with a new person who has never had a particular job before. People are funny, and this is fascinating to watch actually. Grigson is throwing himself into this job 100% right now, hyper aware of the need to please the guy who just did him the biggest favor in his entire life - and gave him a mandate to "fix everything" and "restore the organization to greatness" in the process. The problem is, the organization has a recent history which is so far superior in every respect to the one that he came from, that it might be a little bit hard for him to figure out what it is exactly that he is suppossed to do. What's right and what's wrong? Can he even trust his own thoughts and opinions? The only thing that he can do is throw things at Irsay in the hopes that he'll agree. So who is actually in charge of football operations here? I'm thinking it's Irsay, and I don't like the idea very much.

None of that changes the fact that if he is a wizard in the draft room he will help the organization tremendously, but my confidence level compared to when Polian (or even Tobin) came in is negligible. We're walking a high wire without a net here. It will be exiting, but it could also end very badly.

Anyone catch him say today that he missed the call from Peyton Manning and hadn't called him back yet? I would think talking to Peyton Manning would make it on to my to do list.

I just think the way he handled the Caldwell thing was well strange. He said Caldwell was invovled with the interview for Spags and then something lead Caldwell to think his staff was safe because he told them that and sent them on vacation.

Also he really sounds like he's about to go off on the media and gets tired of their questions. After he beats up Philip B. and Kravitz once or twice for asking in his mind stupid questions they might be begging to have Polian back because all he did was ignore them.

With that said I don't really care about any of the above as long as they win games.

Yeah, umm, I think you call Peyton back ASAP. Not trying to tell a GM how to run a team. But when the future first ballet HOF player ,that most people say built that shinny new stadium you get to work in now ,calls you then you drop everything and call him back. I understand your the new GM now and you run most of the team, but you dont need to start your new career off by disrespecting the Sheriff.

Ultimately, he is here to do contracts and select talent. I don't give a flying fat baby's behind about anything else. Perhaps that just me.

Fair enough. There is certainly every reason to believe that he is a demon talent evaluator - and that's obviously the most important thing.

Interesting take. I actually felt almost completely opposite. The Caldwell thing is strange, but maybe having him in the Spags interview was a way for Grigson to evaluate how he would work with someone like Spags. Maybe Spags didn't want to come to Indy because of Caldwell and that made Grigson/Irsay think that they cannot bring in the talent they need for the coaching staff with JC as head coach. I would imagine anyone would be hesitant to come to Indy under JC since he only had one year left on his contract. That is not job security. So maybe the decision was either give JC an extension (ha!) or fire him, or risk the chance of not being able to infuse coaching talent on a staff that has a one-year leash.

You could be right. I certainly hope so.

I love the guy. I know people say he has a keen eye for talent, which is the utmost importance. But he is very intense, seems very organized, and since he is an ex-player, he seems to relate well with players. I think this guy is a great choice!!

I loved him at the presser today - young, a bit un-polished (un-important), intense, not terribly concerned if people liked what he said. He seems like the kind of guy who will be friendly and supportive if you're getting the job done, and climbing your b-tt if not. I like what I see.

It's funny to me how many "profilers" we have on this board all of a sudden. Not discounting your opinion or anything, it's just that I think it's virtually impossible to know very much of anything about a person just from seeing a couple pressers and trying to read his body language.

Another thing: The #1 fear among most people is public speaking. Most people avoid it as much as they can all of their lives. I happen to love it, but I've been doing it since I was five years old (no exaggeration). I understand someone not being "polished" as a public speaker, not being savvy in front of the media, and all that. It's a tough thing.

True ^.

What I also think is that some folks here are gonna beat down the changes for a while simply because it's not what they wanted or could see coming. All of the changes have been correct though......and I believe these folks will eventually come around.

I just think he's flat out not used to public speaking at this point. He will get better as he goes along. I think he's still feeling the position out and that's understandable. He's been here like five days. Talent on the field will trump any kind of presser or media relations issues.

True.

I think the Manning era in Indy is over. Its obvious now the Colts are in complete rebuild mode. Boy if people didn't like the way he handled the Caldwell situation(for whatever reason) they're gonna hate it when he stands up and says Peyton Manning has been released.

Did you ever see the Seinfeld episode where he talks about public speaking? He mentions what you did about it being people's biggest fear, even more so than death. The punchline is that if you are at a funeral, more people would prefer to be the one in the casket over the guy giving the eulogy. Pretty funny stuff.

I am going to say first that there is no way you can fairly judge a guy good or bad based on one week of work but Grigson does seem to be a bit over whelmed right now. That's the impression I get of him.

With that said he could turn out to be a great hire so I am not casting judgement on how I think he will do but right now he just seems a bit over whelmed. Hopefully once he gets his feet under him he will seem less that way.

.......... After he beats up Philip B. and Kravitz once or twice for asking in his mind stupid questions they might be begging to have Polian back because all he did was ignore them.

With that said I don't really care about any of the above as long as they win games.

Hopefully this will just make Phil and Bob ask better questions, and since I'd imagine he'll answer them, they won't need to play it out in the paper. Having said that, I'm perfectly fine with someone smirking at stupid questions - I don't tolerate stupid people very well myself, and don't expect strong leaders to do so.

I think the Manning era in Indy is over. Its obvious now the Colts are in complete rebuild mode. Boy if people didn't like the way he handled the Caldwell situation(for whatever reason) they're gonna hate it when he stands up and says Peyton Manning has been released.

This ^ is not out of the realm of possibility. A lot of '98 & newer fans need to brace themselves for this scenario.

I am going to say first that there is no way you can fairly judge a guy good or bad based on one week of work but Grigson does seem to be a bit over whelmed right now. That's the impression I get of him.

With that said he could turn out to be a great hire so I am not casting judgement on how I think he will do but right now he just seems a bit over whelmed. Hopefully once he gets his feet under him he will seem less that way.

If he's not overwhelmed at this point with the mess he's been handed, he's not paying attention. A smart person should feel over-whelmed after only a week here..... But he obviously has a netowrk of experienced guys who he can call to bounce ideas off of.

This ^ is not out of the realm of possibility. A lot of '98 & newer fans need to brace themselves for this scenario.

Agreed. But I think Irsay will take it upon himself to be the lightning rod for that decision, should it happen. Irsay will be the bad guy.

In the presser Grigson also said (paraphrasing) "I'm going to take this one step at a time....that's how I'm going to do it." And that's exactly correct. Huge changes in a multi million dollar operation coming quickly. Next up - coordinators and assistant coaches, just as he said. Then on to player decisions. This is the correct order. It's the guy's first GM role and while coming into THE situation everyone has been talking about for months. He'll be fine.

If he's not overwhelmed at this point with the mess he's been handed, he's not paying attention. A smart person should feel over-whelmed after only a week here..... But he obviously has a netowrk of experienced guys who he can call to bounce ideas off of.

I understand there is going to be some being overwhelmed but he shows it more than I would like.

I mean the whole thing with having Caldwell interview Spags and then firing him a day later...

That's just odd. Now granted something could have happened in that interview to change his mind on what to do with Caldwell or it could be he lacks a plan which would be disturbing. Now with that said I doubt Grigson lacks a total plan so don't take it that way.

Like I said before I am not going to cast judgement on him one way or another right now. It could be he's just getting his feet under him and if so fine. Everyone has that when they are new to a job just most of us aren't under a microscope to it. I am more than willing to wait and see what he does and give him a honest and fair shake.

First off, Kravitz isnt going to get any love from the Colts. He has been pretty darn rough on them this whole season. So, if he doesnt like getting talked down to at the Press Conf. then too bad, so sad. If he doenst want to get laughed at, then ask a smart question, and not one that is trying to get a negative response. That said, Grigs is going to have to deal with the media. This is freaking Indy, not New York. He has a pretty cushy job on that front at least. What a few local papers and some radio stations. Thats all he has to deal with. So, even if you dont like the question. Dont smeark and blow it off. Just say, not sure and next question. I think he will be OK. This gigs not a easy one right now. But, he took the job. I dont care if you have only been here two days, act like you have a complete handle on the situation. I think thats fair to ask.

You can see that he doesn't suffer fools too well and that's basically what sport's reporters are :)

I'm not real sure why Irsay wants him to "lead" the presser or any presser going forward for that matter. Is that the GM's job? Irsay is a good communicator and it makes sense for him to do most of the PR stuff and let Grigson do the "Rain Man" thing. Perfect business marriage. I would much rather know my GM is across the country personally scouting someone rather than worrying about a press conference.

You can see that he doesn't suffer fools too well and that's basically what sport's reporters are :)

I'm not real sure why Irsay wants him to "lead" the presser or any presser going forward for that matter. Is that the GM's job? Irsay is a good communicator and it makes sense for him to do most of the PR stuff and let Grigson do the "Rain Man" thing. Perfect business marriage. I would much rather know my GM is across the country personally scouting someone rather than worrying about a press conference.

True. And he seemed genuine in everything he communicated....a far cry from where things were with our former GM in later years. I believe this was just a way for Irsay to break a little of the inner workings ice with the rest of the world during big change.

Del Rio could very well be the DC but I would Mich rather the colts go after a young head coach

I disagree. With the turnover that is about to hit this team, we need a steady hand at HC. A guy who's been around the block and can focus the team on winning and is a great mentor /teacher for the young guys coming in. Marty Schottenheimer is my top and only choice. We don't need to repeat the mistake that the Bucs made by naming a HC to a young team who was not ready for the job yet.

This thread should be closed based on the fact that it offeres no clarity to any football related issue. Whether the GM talks with a purdy mouth or not is of no consequence. All that matter is that he can evaluate talent get us out of salary cap jail. Nuff said! Let's move on!

This thread should be closed based on the fact that it offeres no clarity to any football related issue. Whether the GM talks with a purdy mouth or not is of no consequence. All that matter is that he can evaluate talent get us out of salary cap jail. Nuff said! Let's move on!

It seemed to matter a lot to many people when it came to the previous GM.

I disagree. With the turnover that is about to hit this team, we need a steady hand at HC. A guy who's been around the block and can focus the team on winning and is a great mentor /teacher for the young guys coming in. Marty Schottenheimer is my top and only choice. We don't need to repeat the mistake that the Bucs made by naming a HC to a young team who was not ready for the job yet.

Well you go ahead and have Marty because he stinks, never was a good Head Coach... thats some coach right there... Its been said that the colts have been looking at a HC from the canadian league and he's a young coach, go back and look at what Grigson said he looks for in a coach.

Here's how Phil Richards of the Indianapolis Star described the situation

Whether or not Caldwell’s entire staff will be jettisoned isn’t clear. To do so would mean a new offensive staff with no working knowledge of the “check with me” no-huddle offense developed over franchise quarterback Peyton Manning’s 14 years with the team.

If the Colts don’t pay a $28 million option bonus due March 8, he becomes an unrestricted free agent. If the bonus is paid and Manning is the Colts quarterback next season, he presumably would be learning a new offense.

That would seem to make the retention of offensive coordinator Clyde Christensen and several offensive assistants a possibility.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20120117/SPORTS03/120116040/Colts-f...

I wouldn't put that much stock in Phil or the Indystar of late. They have been wrong in predicting both Polians and Caldwell's fates.

I'd like either one as DC, but I really hope neither one would be brought in as HC.

I agree. We also don't need a "defensive-minded" Head Coach to play good defense. That's the Defensive Coordinator's job.

Its not going to be the same offense man. Moore gone, Caldwell gone which means Clydes gone as well. There is no offense.

For one, we have no idea if Clyde is gone.

Two, we still have Manning, which means the offense will run the way he deems most efficient. That guy can turn any playbook into an improvisational nightmare for defenses.

He said "me n Jim" while looking nervously in Irsay's direction for approval WAY too much for my liking. Too much "I'm a man, he's a man, we need more men around here" bravado. Perhaps it's just that he reminds me of a couple of unqualified nitwits that I've personally seen placed in positions that they weren't ready for, but I'm having trouble warming up to him. He strikes me as someone who is used to physically intimidating people with his presence, while being so uncomfortable that he can't look them in the eye while he is doing it. But that firm handshake takes care of a lot of things, because - after all - "hes a man". :P That's not my idea of leadership.

My hope is that he has such an incredible eye for talent that none of this means anything - but that describes a good "Director of Player Personel", not the voice of your franchise. It will take a long time to see what he is really made of, but I'm very wary and uncomfortable at this point.

Reminds me of another guy who wasn't impressive as a GM; a guy who was intimidating, had an eye for talent, and wanted to take a transitioning franchise into the future. His name, was Matt Millen.

This may very well be the last shoe to drop.....none of us will enjoy it, but it won't surprise me either....and I won't torch the team if that is their decision.

In '98 it was very appropriate to talk about heading in a new direction. AFter all, the old direction was being a last place team from "83 till '98 with one season becoming a wild card playoff team. Now we've had a decade of playoff teams. Two super bowl appearances and last season. I think our "direction" has been just fine. Last season was more of a train wreck, but it wasn't caused because our direction was wrong. Just how different will the new direction be?

You know there is the Scrooge direction. A fellow at the bar relayed this thought the other day. He said, "From a business perspective, it could be time to take some profit. After all Irsay now has the city committed to their staying long term, they take every dime of revenue that exists anywhere at anytime within Lucas Oil, and he's rewarded the city with a Super Bowl on site. Cut payroll costs and beef up the coffers. Pay attention to the fan polls and give them what they want, after all if it goes wrong it's what they wanted."

Personnally, I couldn't believe anybody would think that way. I guess in the cold hard nature of the pro sports world anything is possible.

In '98 it was very appropriate to talk about heading in a new direction. AFter all, the old direction was being a last place team from "83 till '98 with one season becoming a wild card playoff team. Now we've had a decade of playoff teams. Two super bowl appearances and last season. I think our "direction" has been just fine. Last season was more of a train wreck, but it wasn't caused because our direction was wrong. Just how different will the new direction be?

You know there is the Scrooge direction. A fellow at the bar relayed this thought the other day. He said, "From a business perspective, it could be time to take some profit. After all Irsay now has the city committed to their staying long term, they take every dime of revenue that exists anywhere at anytime within Lucas Oil, and he's rewarded the city with a Super Bowl on site. Cut payroll costs and beef up the coffers. Pay attention to the fan polls and give them what they want, after all if it goes wrong it's what they wanted."

Personnally, I couldn't believe anybody would think that way. I guess in the cold hard nature of the pro sports world anything is possible.

Why is it so hard to believe the team is rebuilding? The window for a SB for this old team has CLOSED. People talked about it closing years ago and now it has. The Colts are simply rebuilding to make another run and the #1 is a great place to start. We WILL win again. Peyton only won 3 games his first year. It will probably take at least two seasons but we will be back and the way to do it is not to throw a ton of money at aging and declining players. It's hard to let go of a successful era......I get that.......but a new era is beginning and I find it exciting. Just imagine if the team actually gets good in the areas of Defense, Special Teams, and Running Game. It's been so long.

I love the guy. I know people say he has a keen eye for talent, which is the utmost importance. But he is very intense, seems very organized, and since he is an ex-player, he seems to relate well with players. I think this guy is a great choice!!

are you joking?

He is the worst thing that happened to this organization

Why is it so hard to believe the team is rebuilding? The window for a SB for this old team has CLOSED. People talked about it closing years ago and now it has. The Colts are simply rebuilding to make another run and the #1 is a great place to start. We WILL win again. Peyton only won 3 games his first year. It will probably take at least two seasons but we will be back and the way to do it is not to throw a ton of money at aging and declining players. It's hard to let go of a successful era......I get that.......but a new era is beginning and I find it exciting. Just imagine if the team actually gets good in the areas of Defense, Special Teams, and Running Game. It's been so long.

No one likes to admit your team is rebuilding because that probably means losing and the other big issue is that rebuilding probably means sayng good bye to Peyton Manning and a lot of people just don't want to do that.

Lets compare the two GM's. We can't obviously compare draft daftness, both because we dont know what RG brings, and just who made ALL the picks in Polians name. but lets take personna. BP was very intelligent, with a major command of speaking with conviction and belief. He rarely seemed out of sorts with his answers, as well as his plan, direction, so on and so forth. However, he also never really gave you anything you could really hang your hat on. He did his media thing pretty well, but personally, I like a little raw. I like a guy who isn't too polished.

It would be my guess that BP spent more time controlling information and less time gathering information than perhaps Grigson will over time. Again, that is a guess based upon my gut level feeling about the two. Over time, though, I will likely get the conformation on how correct I was with regards to RG. I never will know with BP because he has an exterior meant for the fans, and an interior meant for the franchise. Our owner, who shares his thoughts with us more than nearly any owner, has selected a man with a personna that is not meticulously dolled out.

No one likes to admit your team is rebuilding because that probably means losing and the other big issue is that rebuilding probably means sayng good bye to Peyton Manning and a lot of people just don't want to do that.

I don't want to either but I think that is the way it is headed. If they can keep both and the #1 pick is happy with sitting for a while I'm all for it but I think they will probably take the huge Manning salary and use it to start the rebuild. That's a huge chunk of change. Who knows? Maybe Manning will be the starter next year and Griffin will be sitting behind him? I'm not optimistic though. Colts have to make a decision in 7 short weeks and if Manning is getting close to being football ready it seems we would have heard of some progress by now. The clock is ticking and I really think they might just select Luck and start the next era immediately. They have already shown they are playing hardball.

I don't want to either but I think that is the way it is headed. If they can keep both and the #1 pick is happy with sitting for a while I'm all for it but I think they will probably take the huge Manning salary and use it to start the rebuild. That's a huge chunk of change. Who knows? Maybe Manning will be the starter next year and Griffin will be sitting behind him? I'm not optimistic though. Colts have to make a decision in 7 short weeks and if Manning is getting close to being football ready it seems we would have heard of some progress by now. The clock is ticking and I really think they might just select Luck and start the next era immediately. They have already shown they are playing hardball.

Oh I a not saying you are wrong I was just answering your question why people don't want to admit it lol.