Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hilton and Moncrief

CR91

^This. With another offseason for our receivers to work on the route tree, and get on the same page with Andrew, they should be an improved unit. I'm holding out hope for a "Healthy" team this season, so the Colts will actually be able to showcase the talent that's there. 

We know what TY is. But I think we're about to see Moncrief truly break out and become known league wide as a number 1 type receiver next season. He was pretty solid his rookie year. Then took a big step last year. Now this year I expect him to explode. Then we have Dorsett who I also think is going to have a breakout season. We could actually be talking about this receiving corps being the best in the league. I think Dorsett has the talent to become a Emanuel Sanders, Antonio Brown type receiver. I cant wait to see how these 3 look next season with a healthy Luck. And Luck should also really be hitting his prime this next season too. But who's gonna stop this? 2 small, lightning quick, speedy, deep threat, home run threat WR's who can both get by the secondary at any given time. And a big 6'2, 6'3 athletic, fast, strong, go up and get it type WR. Who's gonna stop that?

I actually like moncrief better than TY and think he has the potential to become our number one receiver. Jury is still out on Dorsett but i haven't seen anything from him so far that would make me think he was worth drafting so early. I think we should use a mid round draft pick on another wr.

1 hour ago, Patrick Miller said:

1 hour ago, Patrick Miller said:

I actually like moncrief better than TY and think he has the potential to become our number one receiver. Jury is still out on Dorsett but i haven't seen anything from him so far that would make me think he was worth drafting so early. I think we should use a mid round draft pick on another wr.

IMO Dorsett will become the best of the three in a couple of years. It all depends on what kind of protection Luck gets. All three receivers need a lot of work and practice with Luck on timing patters. IF they can get that worked out I think we will see an explosion on offense.

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

IMO Dorsett will become the best of the three in a couple of years. It all depends on what kind of protection Luck gets. All three receivers need a lot of work and practice with Luck on timing patters. IF they can get that worked out I think we will see an explosion on offense.

I've been looking for that timing between Luck and his receivers for a couple years now, they are close just not there yet. I agree, it'll open the offense up huge when and if they get it down

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

I've been looking for that timing between Luck and his receivers for a couple years now, they are close just not there yet. I agree, it'll open the offense up huge when and if they get it down

I keep thinking about that too it's like the routes they run aren't time based  its more like run and if your open I'll pass it lol they need to practice timing on slants and crossing routes badly though for sure 

all of our WRs are hard to evaluate.  TY has been done to death in these threads, i would put him somewhere around top ten

i don't know where to put moncrief, but i dont think it can be super high just yet, he put up 733 yards in his best season 

You can't rank them until we have a better OL, and let Andrew/WR's have more time.  Then let Andrew work with Moncrief and Dorsett more.  I believe if the offense is running on all cylinders (including the run game), we have a top 5 WR corp.  The problem we've seen since Luck has been here is the fact we were trying to stack depth at WR and TE, while ignoring OL and RB problems.

1 hour ago, will426 said:

I keep thinking about that too it's like the routes they run aren't time based  its more like run and if your open I'll pass it lol they need to practice timing on slants and crossing routes badly though for sure 

Thanks for the truth Will.
 Andrew has shown little interest in the timing game. Poor Andre!
 CLEARLY his comfort zone is waiting waiting for after the break or till he see`s his Primary receiver look open enough and then lettin' it fly, and oh ya, then saying Nice Hit!  Chud has big work ahead fixing Ironhead!!
  Moncrief is developing nice tools and should be a different and as good as or better weapon than TY.
 Andrew has over targeted TY, so where that goes from here???

8 minutes ago, ColtStronger said:

You can't rank them until we have a better OL, and let Andrew/WR's have more time.  Then let Andrew work with Moncrief and Dorsett more.  I believe if the offense is running on all cylinders (including the run game), we have a top 5 WR corp.  The problem we've seen since Luck has been here is the fact we were trying to stack depth at WR and TE, while ignoring OL and RB problems.

yeah, people dont want to spend high picks on running backs, but then we never have one thats any good

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Thanks for the truth Will.
 Andrew has shown little interest in the timing game. Poor Andre!
 CLEARLY his comfort zone is waiting waiting for after the break or till he see`s his Primary receiver look open enough and then lettin' it fly, and oh ya, then saying Nice Hit!  Chud has big work ahead fixing Ironhead!!
  Moncrief is developing nice tools and should be a different and as good as or better weapon than TY.
 Andrew has over targeted TY, so where that goes from here???

We need to perfect the timing on slants I remember when Peyton would hit Harrison on a slant and he'd take off for a td we have 4.3 speed  at wr and none of them can't take a slant for more than 5-6 yards lol

10 minutes ago, will426 said:

We need to perfect the timing on slants I remember when Peyton would hit Harrison on a slant and he'd take off for a td we have 4.3 speed  at wr and none of them can't take a slant for more than 5-6 yards lol

The biggest thing that needs to happen is our WRs need to learn how to create more separation. That is something that Harrison did very well at which is why the slants worked so well. Of all of our WRs last year Dorsett created the most separation (when he did play). I personally think that Dorsett has loads of potential, and could become a star in the league. I am probably in the minority in that regard, but another offseason, and more playing time should help him immensely. 

2 hours ago, SDakColts said:

The biggest thing that needs to happen is our WRs need to learn how to create more separation. That is something that Harrison did very well at which is why the slants worked so well. Of all of our WRs last year Dorsett created the most separation (when he did play). I personally think that Dorsett has loads of potential, and could become a star in the league. I am probably in the minority in that regard, but another offseason, and more playing time should help him immensely. 

Separation would become more prevalent with an increase in those timing patterns we have mentioned. We watched Manning, Harrison and Wayne live off those patterns. Harrison was a wizard at catching those short timing patterns and then burn you on the long ball when the time was right. It was like defenses were picking their poison at times. In order for those timing patterns to work Luck and his receivers have to practice, practice and when they are done, practice some more. That is the only way to perfect those types of routes. Hopefully we can witness some of that in the future. One thing that might be a problem is the quickness of the delivery. Manning was so fast defenders didn't have a chance getting to him before the ball was gone. Luck has a much slower delivery so in turn he needs extra protection to give him the time needed.

3 hours ago, SDakColts said:

I love the Dorsett pick just not at that time lol but he was used so improperly and he should've been use earlier before he had even gotten hurt..in preseason he was open for luck more than everyone and so on into the season 

Just now, will426 said:

I love the Dorsett pick just not at that time lol but he was used so improperly and he should've been use earlier before he had even gotten hurt..in preseason he was open for luck more than everyone and so on into the season 

I was a huge fan of Dorsett in college. I also figured that there was no chance we would spend an early pick on a WR. Lets just say I was really surprised. I liked the player a lot, but I didn't like the pick either due to other good players on the board at positions of need.

I believe Dorsett got hurt right around the time he was going to see an increase in snaps. I think over the season he would have pretty much stolen all the snaps from Johnson as Johnson was just not producing. It really is unfortunate that Dorsett got hurt. The playing time last year would have helped him immensely this year.

2 hours ago, SDakColts said:

I was a huge fan of Dorsett in college. I also figured that there was no chance we would spend an early pick on a WR. Lets just say I was really surprised. I liked the player a lot, but I didn't like the pick either due to other good players on the board at positions of need.

I believe Dorsett got hurt right around the time he was going to see an increase in snaps. I think over the season he would have pretty much stolen all the snaps from Johnson as Johnson was just not producing. It really is unfortunate that Dorsett got hurt. The playing time last year would have helped him immensely this year.

I actually have him lighting it up more than our top two WR lol go big or go home or should I say "small"

On 3/1/2016 at 8:42 PM, CR91 said:

Where do you rank them in the league as a tandem

They have the Ability to be a Top 5 receiving Duo in my honest opinion. the only thing hindering that is a Solid OL. Their only competition right now is 

1. Antonio Brown & Martavis Bryant

2.. Allen Robinson & Allen Hurns

3. Demaryius Thomas & Emmanuel Sanders

those are my top 3 right now off top that i can think of that are in the Mix

5 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

They have the Ability to be a Top 5 receiving Duo in my honest opinion. the only thing hindering that is a Solid OL. Their only competition right now is 

1. Antonio Brown & Martavis Bryant

2.. Allen Robinson & Allen Hurns

3. Demaryius Thomas & Emmanuel Sanders

those are my top 3 right now off top that i can think of that are in the Mix

Cobb and nelson are the best imo