Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

You're the GM: The Colts Are On The Clock

17 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Not happening. Grigson will not gamble this #18 pick. He may trade down but no way will he take a chance on a miss on this pick. Even if he considered it this might be the time Irsay does step in.

the difference between him and randy gregory is he has been clean for 2 years. he has been tested regularly.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, Mameluc said:

the difference between him and randy gregory is he has been clean for 2 years. he has been tested regularly.

My comment is just my opinion. Anything can happen and it wouldn't be the first time I have been wrong. I am just going off of what Grigson has said in the past about taking chances on questionable characters in the first three rounds. Grigson may have other people (Irsay, Pagano and or Monachino) in his ear.

I'm at a fork in the road between billings, Alexander, jaylon, reed..  I would say jaylon would be the bpa but Billings would be a serious problem for opposing guards and centers.. Makenzie is more of a need and he's exceptionally good,  jerran reed to me would be a great pick up as well having him playing that 5 tech  (de) would also fit well with us

I'm currently meditting on Noah Spence.  I would slam dunk still want him despite the off-the-field things, but he really didn't stand out athletically at the combine either.  Dominated at the Sr. Bowl, though.  Maybe many of you are right and the risk/reward isn't quite right there.  I'm really starting to warm to Shaq Lawson after his combine, by I think he and Spence may have flipped - Lawson won't be there for the Colts, but Spence will.  I'm thinking I might go with Eli Apple and get a future #1 CB.  He looked great in drills, ran a 4.40, and I really like his toughness and playing style.

45 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

My comment is just my opinion. Anything can happen and it wouldn't be the first time I have been wrong. I am just going off of what Grigson has said in the past about taking chances on questionable characters in the first three rounds. Grigson may have other people (Irsay, Pagano and or Monachino) in his ear.

Thats fine i was just stating that there is a difference between him and other known risky projects such as randy gregory. he is a risk, but i think the risk of taking him is lower than for example gregory who seems one strike from kaboom

I'd stay away from Spence and Alexander. 

I'd love to go billings. 

Pass rush choice would be Floyd and Ogbah with preference of Floyd.

Corner choice would be apple or Jackson. Preference of apple barely. 

The receivers I wouldn't consider at this pick and the oline I wouldn't either unless Conklin was here. 

Hunter Henry has some interest of both TE's are gone. 

This pick would be heavily influenced by what transpires in free agency. FYI 

On 3/1/2016 at 8:06 PM, SilentHill said:

Is Jaylon Smith's pre-draft medical report good in this scenario?

If so then him, otherwise, Mackensie Alexander

The report on Jaylon is not very good at all.  In addition to the multiple ligament surgery recovery, he has nerve damage.  he posted a twitter video showing him walking without a knee brace-

But on his left leg is an AFO brace.  This is sometimes used for drop foot, indicating nerve damage. It is hard to see, but look on his left calf in back view.  An April re-check will determine the amount of progress made and hint at his long term prognosis.  But it isn't looking very rosy at this time.  But I still predict he will miss 2016.  The nerve healing will determine if or how good he will be in 2017 and beyond.

On 3/1/2016 at 7:44 PM, BlueShoe said:

I keep thinking that it is very possible for 3 quarterbacks to be taken before we pick. How lucky would we be if that did indeed happen?

Lynch is just way to raw for a round one choice. Especially now that the Eagles signed Bradford for two years, 36 million, 26 mil guaranteed, they do not have any need to invest in a QB in round 1.  Paxton is a very intriguing choice in round 2 and beyond, for sure.  Even Groff and Wentz aren't NFL ready, but they will be taken in round 1 and thrust into the starting role(s) anyway by their drafting teams. 

I say if a game changer is available when we pick (irrespective of his position) we go there.  Otherwise we pick the highest grade player with need in mind.

13 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

The report on Jaylon is not very good at all.  In addition to the multiple ligament surgery recovery, he has nerve damage.  he posted a twitter video showing him walking without a knee brace-

But on his left leg is an AFO brace.  This is sometimes used for drop foot, indicating nerve damage. It is hard to see, but look on his left calf in back view.  An April re-check will determine the amount of progress made and hint at his long term prognosis.  But it isn't looking very rosy at this time.  But I still predict he will miss 2016.  The nerve healing will determine if or how good he will be in 2017 and beyond.

Lynch is just way to raw for a round one choice. Especially now that the Eagles signed Bradford for two years, 36 million, 26 mil guaranteed, they do not have any need to invest in a QB in round 1.  Paxton is a very intriguing choice in round 2 and beyond, for sure.  Even Groff and Wentz aren't NFL ready, but they will be taken in round 1 and thrust into the starting role(s) anyway by their drafting teams. 

I say if a game changer is available when we pick (irrespective of his position) we go there.  Otherwise we pick the highest grade player with need in mind.

I thought the same thing tbh. I could see them going O-Line round 1, and getting Lynch round 2. I think Goff slips to the Rams.

But I have our first round pick narrowed down to about 4 guys. 

I am choosing between two guys. One Taylor Decker O-Line and Noah Spence Rush LB.  With out a pass rush this year.  Jacksonville and Tenn will blow the Colts out.  With out an o-line nothing else will matter.  This is tough decision.  I wish the Colts had two round one picks

13 hours ago, Archer said:

I'm currently meditting on Noah Spence.  I would slam dunk still want him despite the off-the-field things, but he really didn't stand out athletically at the combine either.  Dominated at the Sr. Bowl, though.  Maybe many of you are right and the risk/reward isn't quite right there.  I'm really starting to warm to Shaq Lawson after his combine, by I think he and Spence may have flipped - Lawson won't be there for the Colts, but Spence will.  I'm thinking I might go with Eli Apple and get a future #1 CB.  He looked great in drills, ran a 4.40, and I really like his toughness and playing style.

I am with you on Spence at the combine he showed athletically he's not a top 20 guy. I would pass on the kid. Even though he added weight I don't touch Flioyd either. He's going to get run over by the running game

The edge rushers that moved up for me are Correra and Calhoun. I liked what I saw from both. They are day 2 guys IMO.

Lawson might be the only guy I would consider at 18 who plays edge rusher .I still think he's bettfer fit setting the edge.

Ngakoue still is the guy I would love in the 4th. Ochi too I see mocks on here with him in the 6th even though we have no 6th. That is not happening.

i think at 18 and I have been saying it for months. The biggest splash play game changer we will see is Billings. That's where I would go. He's going to be special. Instant upgrade to the D. 

Anyone else see Day at 293lbs doing LB drills? Love to have him. 

You have to assume that Weintz, Goff and Lynch will be gone. Tunsil and Stanley as well. Hargraves, Ramsey, Bosa and Miles Jack as well. We're actually sitting in a damn good spot. If someone like Lynch falls someone will give up a second to get him (Rams). If not there's a ton of good quality players that we can either pick (A'Robinson, Conkin, Buckner, Ogbah, Floyd). Point is, at 18 we're going to have about 5 players that we could choose from so it wouldn't surprise me to see us drop to #26-#28 and pick up Kelly, C, Alabama and get an extra 3ed and 6th out of the fall.

2 hours ago, akcolt said:

I am with you on Spence at the combine he showed athletically he's not a top 20 guy. I would pass on the kid. Even though he added weight I don't touch Flioyd either. He's going to get run over by the running game

The edge rushers that moved up for me are Correra and Calhoun. I liked what I saw from both. They are day 2 guys IMO.

Lawson might be the only guy I would consider at 18 who plays edge rusher .I still think he's bettfer fit setting the edge.

Ngakoue still is the guy I would love in the 4th. Ochi too I see mocks on here with him in the 6th even though we have no 6th. That is not happening.

i think at 18 and I have been saying it for months. The biggest splash play game changer we will see is Billings. That's where I would go. He's going to be special. Instant upgrade to the D.

Anyone else see Day at 293lbs doing LB drills? Love to have him.

I am right with you on all the edge rushers.  I also think that Floyd would not be right for us, though I think he'll be a good 4-3 OLB some day - a lot of athleticism there.  The one you didn't mention that I'm scratching my head about is Ogbah.  He showed a lot athletically at the combine.  I'm still working out whether I'd rather have him at 18 or Eli Apple, who's got some believing  he'll go in the 1st half of the 1st.  Honestly, there are enough potential 2nd and 3rd round (and later) pass-rushers that I might be willing to defer in order to get a future #1 CB...

14 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

You have to hear what you are saying, right? :)

Think about what you just said. 

You said the Eagles will not draft a QB because they just signed a veteran QB for 2 years. LOL 

That is the definition of a team looking to draft a quarterback. They are not throwing all of their eggs into one basket.

Very few college quarterbacks are NFL ready. Luck is the exception to the rule. 

You also know that I wrote this before the Eagles signed Bradford for 2 years. Not that it helped you make your point (even though for some reason you thought it did). In fact, it strengthens my position that 3 quarterbacks might actually be drafted before we pick at #18.

There are four teams that need a quarterback before we pick.

2 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

You have to hear what you are saying, right? :)

Think about what you just said. 

You said the Eagles will not draft a QB because they just signed a veteran QB for 2 years. LOL 

That is the definition of a team looking to draft a quarterback. They are not throwing all of their eggs into one basket.

Very few college quarterbacks are NFL ready. Luck is the exception to the rule. 

You also know that I wrote this before the Eagles signed Bradford for 2 years. Not that it helped you make your point (even though for some reason you thought it did). In fact, it strengthens my position that 3 quarterbacks might actually be drafted before we pick at #18.

There are four teams that need a quarterback before we pick.

I stated they have no reason to draft a QB in round 1, now that they have signed Bradford. What I didn't specify well enough is especially a round 2 or later type QB. I stand by that and we will see on draft day.  Lynch is not even close to where Andy Dalton was coming out in the draft, and he (Dalton) was selected in round 2 at #35.  Heaven forbid the Eagles spend the  #13 pick in round one on a guy that isn't yet near where Andy Dalton was on his draft day. Maybe the Eagles would spend a mid round 2 pick on him, that's fine.  If they choose him round 1 and then pony up approximately $11 million dollars or so fully guaranteed over 4 years for Lynch, they are stooges even without Chip Kelly, IMHO.

Also, you don't let talent walk out the door.  The Eagles were going to get a deal done, or Franchise Bradford.  They had no choice. They got Bradford cheaper and longer than Washington did with Kirk Cousins.  Cousins will make 19.953 million (20 mil !!) this year, all fully on the cap and fully guaranteed.  Next year Exclusive Franchise tag, his pay goes up to 24 million fully guaranteed and once more fully a cap hit.  That's 44 million over two years, vs. 36 for Bradford.  Yet Washington could not let 'talent' walk out the door, nor could they fully commit tens of millions over multiple years on him yet either.  So, Is Washington also one of the 4 teams looking for a QB in round 1?  Eagles are in better shape than the Redskins it would seem.

I see Cleveland, 49'ers, and Rams.  and 2 (if that, at best) round 1 worthy QB's, even though neither are NFL ready.

27 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I stated they have no reason to draft a QB in round 1, now that they have signed Bradford. What I didn't specify well enough is especially a round 2 or later type QB. I stand by that and we will see on draft day.  Lynch is not even close to where Andy Dalton was coming out in the draft, and he (Dalton) was selected in round 2 at #35.  Heaven forbid the Eagles spend the  #13 pick in round one on a guy that isn't yet near where Andy Dalton was on his draft day. Maybe the Eagles would spend a mid round 2 pick on him, that's fine.  If they choose him round 1 and then pony up approximately $11 million dollars or so fully guaranteed over 4 years for Lynch, they are stooges even without Chip Kelly, IMHO.

Also, you don't let talent walk out the door.  The Eagles were going to get a deal done, or Franchise Bradford.  They had no choice. They got Bradford cheaper and longer than Washington did with Kirk Cousins.  Cousins will make 19.953 million (20 mil !!) this year, all fully on the cap and fully guaranteed.  Next year Exclusive Franchise tag, his pay goes up to 24 million fully guaranteed and once more fully a cap hit.  That's 44 million over two years, vs. 36 for Bradford.  Yet Washington could not let 'talent' walk out the door, nor could they fully commit tens of millions over multiple years on him yet either.  So, Is Washington also one of the 4 teams looking for a QB in round 1?  Eagles are in better shape than the Redskins it would seem.

I see Cleveland, 49'ers, and Rams.  and 2 (if that, at best) round 1 worthy QB's, even though neither are NFL ready.

I never said the Eagles will draft a quarterback. Never said it. Said it was a possibility. Mocked the possibility.

Let's make sure we understand my original point - There are four teams that need a QB in front of us. I think it is a possibility that three QB's are drafted before the 18th pick. 

Your reasons for the Eagles not to draft a QB in the first round, are not logically thought out.

The Eagles are in a position to draft a QB in the first round, and then evaluate the situation after the 2016 season, and evaluate again after the 2017 season.

Spending $11 million over 4 years on a rookie QB works out beautiful for the Eagles, especially in this situation. The Eagles get the best of both worlds. They can play the veteran, while the rookie learns. And if the veteran struggles or goes down then the young QB gets his feet wet. Maybe Bradford takes off and becomes what we all thought he could be. If so then a few years down the road, they trade the youngster. The Eagles are in a really nice situation.

I have no idea why you are even bringing Cousins into this debate. It only helps to strengthen my point. If the Eagles draft a QB then they bought an insurance policy on both sides.

If the Eagles do not draft a QB in the first round then they will (more than likely) not be choosing any of the top three. So sitting back and waiting until the second round is not really an option.

Your opinion of Dalton and any QB is just that. It is your opinion. That has no bearing on when the players will be taken. It only takes one team to fall in love with a player. 

Let's not forget that St Louis is also in play here too. They might have something to say about it.

Your position is duly noted, I just do not agree.  None of these QB's are round 1 Franchise type QB's at this time and I feel only Cleveland and possibly San Francisco (I do not trust Kaep at all there) will pull the trigger in round 1 on a QB.  I hope others do as that will only set them back and allow better choices of players left when the Colts pick.  I do not expect that to happen at all.  There's value in waiting to draft a QB if you can. The Bengals waited in 2011, and got AJ Green first, then Andy Dalton. The Raiders waited in 2014, got Kahlil Mack then Derek Carr. The Vikings waited that same year, and walked away with Anthony Barr and then Teddy Bridgewater.  This is a scenario I see teams trying to make happen that need a QB once the top 2 are off the board.  There's just no way I see 3 QB's from This_Draft_Class coming off the board before the Colts at #18. Logical or not, this is noted history and partially my basis for the Eagles and even the Rams, Cowboys, or Cardinals for not taking a QB in round 1.  Time will tell.

In addition, you never mentioned the 4 teams you feel need a QB before we pick.  Please disclose them. Also, disclose the three teams that you feel it's possible that will pull the trigger on a round 1 QB.

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Your position is duly noted, I just do not agree.  None of these QB's are round 1 Franchise type QB's at this time and I feel only Cleveland and possibly San Francisco (I do not trust Kaep at all there) will pull the trigger in round 1 on a QB.  I hope others do as that will only set them back and allow better choices of players left when the Colts pick.  I do not expect that to happen at all.  There's value in waiting to draft a QB if you can. The Bengals waited in 2011, and got AJ Green first, then Andy Dalton. The Raiders waited in 2014, got Kahlil Mack then Derek Carr. The Vikings waited that same year, and walked away with Anthony Barr and then Teddy Bridgewater.  This is a scenario I see teams trying to make happen that need a QB once the top 2 are off the board.  There's just no way I see 3 QB's from This_Draft_Class coming off the board before the Colts at #18. Logical or not, this is noted history and partially my basis for the Eagles and even the Rams, Cowboys, or Cardinals for not taking a QB in round 1.  Time will tell.

In addition, you never mentioned the 4 teams you feel need a QB before we pick.  Please disclose them. Also, disclose the three teams that you feel it's possible that will pull the trigger on a round 1 QB.

I don't really have a lot of time to go into too much detail. Been a busy day.

First we need to look at the teams that might take a QB in this draft. 

Browns
Cowboys
49ers
Bears
Eagles
Rams
Texans

Any of those seven teams could take a QB before us. The Texans could move up in front of us, and it would not cost them much to do it.

The Browns, 49ers, Eagles, and Rams are all drafting before us and have a high need to get a QB (The four teams I mentioned earlier). The Cowboys and Bears (while not as likely) could throw a monkey wrench in the equation and take a QB.

Quarterbacks are often taken higher than they should be because this is a QB driven league. Also keep in mind that the top tier QB's always start off the draft season ranked lower than they end up. They will move up, and change ranks a few times. Teams will have them ranked different orders. 

In no particular order:

Carson Wentz

Jared Goff

Paxton Lynch

There you have it. Seven teams that could take a QB before #18, and three quarterback prospects those teams will be competing for. 

Follow the logic brother. :)

56 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I don't really have a lot of time to go into too much detail. Been a busy day.

First we need to look at the teams that might take a QB in this draft. 

Browns
Cowboys
49ers
Bears
Eagles
Rams
Texans

Any of those seven teams could take a QB before us. The Texans could move up in front of us, and it would not cost them much to do it.

The Browns, 49ers, Eagles, and Rams are all drafting before us and have a high need to get a QB (The four teams I mentioned earlier). The Cowboys and Bears (while not as likely) could throw a monkey wrench in the equation and take a QB.

Quarterbacks are often taken higher than they should be because this is a QB driven league. Also keep in mind that the top tier QB's always start off the draft season ranked lower than they end up. They will move up, and change ranks a few times. Teams will have them ranked different orders. 

In no particular order:

Carson Wentz

Jared Goff

Paxton Lynch

There you have it. Seven teams that could take a QB before #18, and three quarterback prospects those teams will be competing for. 

Follow the logic brother. :)

OK, let's see what happens when the rubber meets the road on draft day.  I just looked up Todd McShay's mock, he has only two QB's going round 1-  Wentz to Browns, Groff to 49er's.  He has the Colts taking Floyd.  Paxton Lynch and Connor Cook are round two guys.  So he and I appear to have the same logic, it would seem.

************************************************************************************************************************************

Todd McShay's latest mock-

18. Indianapolis Colts

Leonard Floyd, OLB, Georgia

If Tunsil, Stanley, Conklin and Decker are all off the board, the Colts will have to decide whether to reach for an O-lineman (Jason Spriggs and Germain Ifedi are next up on my board) or take an impact player elsewhere. Floyd would give Indianapolis an athlete who can pressure the QB and drop into coverage. He's not a finished product, so that might scare off some talent evaluators, but Floyd has the raw tools to develop into a playmaker.

He has Noah Spence goes to Jets at #20

Best players left on the board after round 1-

1. Hunter Henry, TE, Arkansas
2. Andrew Billings, DT, Baylor
3. Will Fuller, WR, Notre Dame
4. Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis
5. Germain Ifedi, OT, Texas A&M
6. Jaylon Smith, OLB, Notre Dame
7. Adolphus Washington, DT, Ohio State
8. Connor Cook, QB, Michigan State
9. Austin Johnson, DT, Penn State
10. Michael Thomas, WR, Ohio State
11. Kevin Dodd, DE, Clemson
12. Kendall Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech
13. Karl Joseph, S, West Virginia
14. Kenny Clark, DT, UCLA
15. Corey Coleman, WR, Baylor
16. Ryan Kelly, OC, Alabama
17. William Jackson III, CB, Houston
18. Hassan Ridgeway, DT, Texas
19. Jerell Adams, TE, South Carolina
20. Christian Hackenberg, QB, Penn State

*****************************************************************************************************************************

If Reggie Ragland falls to 18, it would be hard for me to pass him up, notably if we lose Jerrell Freemen. He is a 100 tackle machine, even as a rookie IME. C.J. Mosley type player. McShay has the Packers taking him at #27.

5 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

OK, let's see what happens when the rubber meets the road on draft day.  I just looked up Todd McShay's mock, he has only two QB's going round 1-  Wentz to Browns, Groff to 49er's.  He has the Colts taking Floyd.  Paxton Lynch and Connor Cook are round two guys.  So he and I appear to have the same logic, it would seem.

************************************************************************************************************************************

Todd McShay's latest mock-

18. Indianapolis Colts

Leonard Floyd, OLB, Georgia

If Tunsil, Stanley, Conklin and Decker are all off the board, the Colts will have to decide whether to reach for an O-lineman (Jason Spriggs and Germain Ifedi are next up on my board) or take an impact player elsewhere. Floyd would give Indianapolis an athlete who can pressure the QB and drop into coverage. He's not a finished product, so that might scare off some talent evaluators, but Floyd has the raw tools to develop into a playmaker.

He has Noah Spence goes to Jets at #20

Best players left on the board after round 1-

1. Hunter Henry, TE, Arkansas
2. Andrew Billings, DT, Baylor
3. Will Fuller, WR, Notre Dame
4. Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis
5. Germain Ifedi, OT, Texas A&M
6. Jaylon Smith, OLB, Notre Dame
7. Adolphus Washington, DT, Ohio State
8. Connor Cook, QB, Michigan State
9. Austin Johnson, DT, Penn State
10. Michael Thomas, WR, Ohio State
11. Kevin Dodd, DE, Clemson
12. Kendall Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech
13. Karl Joseph, S, West Virginia
14. Kenny Clark, DT, UCLA
15. Corey Coleman, WR, Baylor
16. Ryan Kelly, OC, Alabama
17. William Jackson III, CB, Houston
18. Hassan Ridgeway, DT, Texas
19. Jerell Adams, TE, South Carolina
20. Christian Hackenberg, QB, Penn State

*****************************************************************************************************************************

If Reggie Ragland falls to 18, it would be hard for me to pass him up, notably if we lose Jerrell Freemen. He is a 100 tackle machine, even as a rookie IME. C.J. Mosley type player. McShay has the Packers taking him at #27.

It is March 2.

Watch those QB's move up on everyone's mocks, as the draft gets closer.

Happens every year. :)

Hell, Cam Newton was not even considered a top 10 pick at this time of the year.

9 hours ago, Archer said:

I am right with you on all the edge rushers.  I also think that Floyd would not be right for us, though I think he'll be a good 4-3 OLB some day - a lot of athleticism there.  The one you didn't mention that I'm scratching my head about is Ogbah.  He showed a lot athletically at the combine.  I'm still working out whether I'd rather have him at 18 or Eli Apple, who's got some believing  he'll go in the 1st half of the 1st.  Honestly, there are enough potential 2nd and 3rd round (and later) pass-rushers that I might be willing to defer in order to get a future #1 CB...

I know there is no such thing as a can't miss player Lets just say there are more CB and DL with the skill set to be very good than edge rushers. I would feel more comfortable taking a CB or DL in the 2nd. I see CB as a bigger need than most. Maybe more will see it my way when they realize we aren't paying 7-8M a yr for a CB

As far as Ogbah. Yeah he helped him self at the combine but the tape says he's stiff lacks the bend to come off the edge I try not to be overly influenced by what they do in their underwear  

16 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

It is March 2.

Watch those QB's move up on everyone's mocks, as the draft gets closer.

Happens every year. :)

Hell, Cam Newton was not even considered a top 10 pick at this time of the year.

They might move up fans and media heads boards, but people like Bill Polian and Pat Kirwan say it is pretty much set already in every club.  Interviews at this point in time have more impact now than the combine numbers do. and many teams have 3 boards.  A positional board, a needs board, and the big board.  As they evaluate grades, some will move around slightly but is pretty much set from all of the reports from the clubs scouting reports and coaching staff/GM meetings.

In addition, not only is there no Andrew Luck or Cam Newton type QB in this draft, there isn't even a Jameis Winston type in this draft.  It is pretty weak.  So the more that reach for a QB early, then the more true playmakers are available to the teams not needing a QB.

25 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

They might move up fans and media heads boards, but people like Bill Polian and Pat Kirwin say it is pretty much set already in every club.  Interviews at this point in time have more impact now than the combine numbers do. and many teams have 3 boards.  A positional board, a needs board, and the big board.  As they evaluate grades, some will move around slightly but is pretty much set from all of the reports from the clubs scouting reports and coaching staff/GM meetings.

In addition, not only is there no Andrew Luck or Cam Newton type QB in this draft, there isn't even a Jameis Winston type in this draft.  It is pretty weak.  So the more that reach for a QB early, then the more true playmakers are available to the teams not needing a QB.

Are you new to this process?

Not talking down to you. Just really want to know.

Most teams boards are pretty much set. It is the media and mocks that are catching up. The closer we get, the more leaks happen and the media jumps on it as breaking news.

How do you think the draft went down with Eli, Rivers, and Big Ben?

16 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Are you new to this process?

Not talking down to you. Just really want to know.

Most teams boards are pretty much set. It is the media and mocks that are catching up. The closer we get, the more leaks happen and the media jumps on it as breaking news.

How do you think the draft went down with Eli, Rivers, and Big Ben?

Do you?  I've been a Colts/NFL fan since the early 1970's, and on NFL related usenet newsgroups well before many younger folks here even new what message boards and forums were.  I subscribe to ESPN insider and other entities, and while I check on Kiper and McShay and their college players reports, I rely more on people like Pat Kirwan, Gil Brandt, Bill Polian etc. and a few pro scouting sites and their ilk when it comes to how they may make the transition to the NFL.  I did mock drafts many years ago and have since stopped.  They are fun, but that is all.  None are ever correct. Fans or experts. I have subscribed to and relied on items such as these over the years because I am not a scout or team club employee.  Are you?  what is your experience, your contacts, and your sources?

Are you saying Goff, Wentz, and Lynch  are the equivalent of Eli, Phillips, and Ben?  Just what is your point?  I will await the results of the draft as the benchmark.

44 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Do you?  I've been a Colts/NFL fan since the early 1970's, and on NFL related usenet newsgroups well before many younger folks here even new what message boards and forums were.  I subscribe to ESPN insider and other entities, and while I check on Kiper and McShay and their college players reports, I rely more on people like Pat Kirwin, Gil Brandt, Bill Polian etc. and a few pro scouting sites and their ilk when it comes to how they may make the transition to the NFL.  I did mock drafts many years ago and have since stopped.  They are fun, but that is all.  None are ever correct. Fans or experts. I have subscribed to and relied on items such as these over the years because I am not a scout or team club employee.  Are you?  what is your experience, your contacts, and your sources?

Are you saying Groff, Wentz, and Lynch  are the equivalent of Eli, Phillips, and Ben?  Just what is your point?  I will await the results of the draft as the benchmark.

At least we can agree on one thing - Mocks are always wrong. LOL The best I ever did was hit the first 9 in a row (14 total in the first round), but with the new rookie wage scale too many trades happen to predict it correctly. I had Polian completely figured out and correctly mocked several of his picks. I have not completely figured out all of Grigson's tells yet. 

I have been avidly active in the draft process since the late 80's. Used to get the draft magazines, and USA today always had great write-ups. I believe I liked doing mock drafts because the Colts sucked so bad. The draft always gave me hope that my Colts would someday turn it around. I have watched every NFL draft since the late 80's, and also watched a few throughout the 80's. 

Joined Colts message boards in 1995 (IndyStar). I can still remember arguing over whether we were going to take Manning or Leaf. I wanted Peyton, but I was biased because down here in Evansville, we saw every Tennessee Volunteers game back then. 

I am not as active in the draft process as I used to be, but I am still very involved. 

I am not saying that Goff, Wentz, and Paxton will become the next Eli, Rivers, or Big Ben. I am saying that Big Ben and Rivers moved up very late on mocks and if memory serves me correct they were taken #5 and #11. While we do not have a clear shot #1 like Eli in this draft, I believe we will see these QB's move up. This draft has a similar feeling about it. 

We have seven teams who could draft a QB early. None of the teams would surprise us much if they did draft a QB early. These situations (competition for scarce players) lead to QB's getting taken earlier than they should be. 

Bottom line is, logically speaking; these three QB's could all go in the top 15. And it makes more logical sense to lean towards the idea that the three will be taken before we pick at #18.

Plus we can add in a RB, cause he should be gone before we pick too. 

14 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

I am not saying that Goff, Wentz, and Paxton will become the next Eli, Rivers, or Big Ben. I am saying that Big Ben and Rivers moved up very late on mocks and if memory serves me correct they were taken #5 and #11. While we do not have a clear shot #1 like Eli in this draft, I believe we will see these QB's move up. This draft has a similar feeling about it. 

We have seven teams who could draft a QB early. None of the teams would surprise us much if they did draft a QB early. These situations (competition for scarce players) lead to QB's getting taken earlier than they should be. 

Bottom line is, logically speaking; these three QB's could all go in the top 15. And it makes more logical sense to lean towards the idea that the three will be taken before we pick at #18.

Plus we can add in a RB, cause he should be gone before we pick too. 

I'm not saying they definitely won't go in the top 15, But I do I say that if Lynch does, someone panicked (and it won't be the Eagles, methinks).  And if he does, why not Connor Cook too?  He's as good, maybe better right now; just lacking in the leadership category IMO.  There's 4 QB's.  Why not have all 4 going top 15?  I just don't see Lynch nor Cook going in round 1.  We will see on draft day.

Any and any or all of these QB's will struggle next year if drafted and start.  And the Days a team spends a top 15 round 1 pick on a QB and sits him for 2 years are long gone, from what I've seen.

EDIT:  So I go look up Pat Kirwan's mock.  He has all 4 QB's above going first round.  Wentz to Browns, Goff to Cowboys, Lynch to 49er's, and Cook to Texans.  How about that!  OK, I don't agree with Pat either.  Maybe a first for me.  LOL!  Time will tell.

13 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I'm not saying they definitely won't go in the top 15, But I do I say that if Lynch does, someone panicked (and it won't be the Eagles, methinks).  And if he does, why not Connor Cook too?  He's as good, maybe better right now; just lacking in the leadership category IMO.  There's 4 QB's.  Why not have all 4 going top 15?  I just don't see Lynch nor Cook going in round 1.  We will see on draft day.

Any and any or all of these QB's will struggle next year if drafted and start.  And the Days a team spends a top 15 round 1 pick on a QB and sits him for 2 years are long gone, from what I've seen.

EDIT:  So I go look up Pat Kirwan's mock.  He has all 4 QB's above going first round.  Wentz to Browns, Goff to Cowboys, Lynch to 49er's, and Cook to Texans.  How about that!  OK, I don't agree with Pat either.  Maybe a first for me.  LOL!  Time will tell.

LOL

That is why we all have the right to an opinion.

I would not be surprised if all four QB's do move up and all get drafted in the first round. 

By the way, I was convinced that Rodgers was a better quarterback than Smith. I could not understand what everyone else was watching. To me it was crystal clear. It was painful watching everyone talk about how much better Smith was than Rodgers. I thought the 49ers were playing a trick on the media. It was so obvious to me that Rodgers was by far the better quarterback. And he grew up in San Fran's back yard too. I was so convinced that the 49ers were duping the media that I mocked Rodgers to the 49ers anyway. Completely wrecked my 2005 mock draft. 

The only person who agreed with me. ONLY ONE Person. Pat Kirwan. 

For what it is worth. :)

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

LOL

That is why we all have the right to an opinion.

I would not be surprised if all four QB's do move up and all get drafted in the first round. 

By the way, I was convinced that Rodgers was a better quarterback than Smith. I could not understand what everyone else was watching. To me it was crystal clear. It was painful watching everyone talk about how much better Smith was than Rodgers. I thought the 49ers were playing a trick on the media. It was so obvious to me that Rodgers was by far the better quarterback. And he grew up in San Fran's back yard too. I was so convinced that the 49ers were duping the media that I mocked Rodgers to the 49ers anyway. Completely wrecked my 2005 mock draft. 

The only person who agreed with me. ONLY ONE Person. Pat Kirwan. 

For what it is worth. :)

Pat agrees with you on the QB's.  But I just heard Gil Brandt on SiriusXM NFL channel say he talked to Jerry and Jones will not select a QB at #4.  So that blows up Pat Kirwan's mock already!  ;-)  Brandt thinks Jerry will take Bosa if he is there, but if Buckner and Ramsey are there too, Jerry's is in a choice dillema!  LOL.

14 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Pat agrees with you on the QB's.  But I just heard Gil Brandt on SiriusXM NFL channel say he talked to Jerry and Jones will not select a QB at #4.  So that blows up Pat Kirwan's mock already!  ;-)  Brandt thinks Jerry will take Bosa if he is there, but if Buckner and Ramsey are there too, Jerry's is in a choice dillema!  LOL.

I would not be surprised one bit if a team becomes so worried the Cowboys will take a QB that they trade up with San Diego.

San Diego is going to field a lot of calls, and I would be somewhat surprised if they hang onto #3.

San Diego is going to make out, and Dallas is also sitting pretty either way.

The dark horse is Houston.They could bundle a number 1 with a number 2 and get in front of the Rams and the Eagles.

I want to clarify a few issues I have with Noah Spence. 

For starters, it hasn't been 2-3 years without incident as suggested, he failed his last test in September 2014, it has been about 18 months.

Second, in 2013 he missed the Big Ten title game and the national title game. And the fallowing year he made the exact same mistake, costing himself another opportunity to play in the big ten title game.

Third, after all that he lost, he just got arrested in May of 2015 for disorderly conduct. So it hasn't been even a year since he's shown his butt. 

Fourth, he is not a great athlete. If he had killed it at the combine I might understand the hype. But he was very average and in most years he wouldn't even be considered in the first based on his baggage and combine. The only reason people are still talking about taking him in the first is the lack of premier prospects this year, so he is also a REACH.

What happens when this guy gets paid? Do you really have confidence he is gonna have millions of dollars and all the sudden show the maturity he hasnt been able to show over the last three seasons with everything on the line? There will be no more carrot to dangle in his face, he will already recieved the carrot. 

We can't let our need for a pass rusher allow us to blow this pick on a kid with maturity issues like this. We have too many needs. If we miss on him we not only don't get the pass rusher we need but we miss on a potential starting OL.

I would rather they take another WR like Doctson than risk it for this guy. I would rather risk it on Jaylon Smiths' knee. I would rather take Ryan Kelly and pencil him in at C. Basically I would rather do anything than take Spence at 18.

17 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

I want to clarify a few issues I have with Noah Spence. 

For starters, it hasn't been 2-3 years without incident as suggested, he failed his last test in September 2014, it has been about 18 months.

Second, in 2013 he missed the Big Ten title game and the national title game. And the fallowing year he made the exact same mistake, costing himself another opportunity to play in the big ten title game.

Third, after all that he lost, he just got arrested in May of 2015 for disorderly conduct. So it hasn't been even a year since he's shown his butt. 

Fourth, he is not a great athlete. If he had killed it at the combine I might understand the hype. But he was very average and in most years he wouldn't even be considered in the first based on his baggage and combine. The only reason people are still talking about taking him in the first is the lack of premier prospects this year, so he is also a REACH.

What happens when this guy gets paid? Do you really have confidence he is gonna have millions of dollars and all the sudden show the maturity he hasnt been able to show over the last three seasons with everything on the line? There will be no more carrot to dangle in his face, he will already recieved the carrot. 

We can't let our need for a pass rusher allow us to blow this pick on a kid with maturity issues like this. We have too many needs. If we miss on him we not only don't get the pass rusher we need but we miss on a potential starting OL.

I would rather they take another WR like Doctson than risk it for this guy. I would rather risk it on Jaylon Smiths' knee. I would rather take Ryan Kelly and pencil him in at C. Basically I would rather do anything than take Spence at 18.

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2015/05/54108/noah-spence-arrested-in-virginia-for-alcohol-intoxication-in-public-place-and-disorderly

Your right