Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Where would you rank TY Hilton among top WRs?

RockThatBlue

9 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I feel like im the only one that appreciates what Hilton brings to the table

He's good but he's at the bottom of the "elite" WR's. His production is not what you want to see given his contract. We could have gotten him for cheaper if he signed at the end of his contract this past season since he had a down season. Don't know why Grigson extended him early.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Incorrect sir.. how did Allen Robinson play then?  What about Jarvis Landry.  Regardless he is a good pick but Pro-Bowl does not matter much when you are not an original pick that is all I am saying.

Then it's next on the list not who else didn't wanna go

2 minutes ago, bababooey said:

He's good but he's at the bottom of the "elite" WR's. His production is not what you want to see given his contract. We could have gotten him for cheaper if he signed at the end of his contract this past season since he had a down season. Don't know why Grigson extended him early.

How exactly is having a 1000 yard pro bowl season without luck count as a down year

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

So you're comparing one good season by Hopkins and Robinson to Hilton three 1000 yard seasons, two pro bowls, one getting there without luck

For one thing Pro Bowls don't count they are flukes. Especially this last one T.Y. was a fill in not an original Pro Bowl selection. Yes I am comparing just one season as Hopkins really has only played 1 season where he was the #1 WR. Tell me who do you think was in the better receiving core? I believe that Hilton had more support from his other receivers than Hopkins got. Hopkins was the main threat on the Texans and teams still couldn't shut him down. I remember Hilton on the other hand being pretty much invisible in some games. Not only did Hilton have the benefit of playing with Luck and Hasselbeck. Hopkins had to play with Brian Hoyer, Ryan Mallett, and Brandon Weeden while also had dominant games playing with all 3 QBs. I think it is pretty clear who the better WR is, but each person has their own opinion.

Just now, SDakColts said:

For one thing Pro Bowls don't count they are flukes. Especially this last one T.Y. was a fill in not an original Pro Bowl selection. Yes I am comparing just one season as Hopkins really has only played 1 season where he was the #1 WR. Tell me who do you think was in the better receiving core? I believe that Hilton had more support from his other receivers than Hopkins got. Hopkins was the main threat on the Texans and teams still couldn't shut him down. I remember Hilton on the other hand being pretty much invisible in some games. Not only did Hilton have the benefit of playing with Luck and Hasselbeck. Hopkins had to play with Brian Hoyer, Ryan Mallett, and Brandon Weeden while also had dominant games playing with all 3 QBs. I think it is pretty clear who the better WR is, but each person has their own opinion.

I bet if you looked at the stat for targets, Hopkins would destroy Hilton. Hopkins had a lot more opportunities to make plays especially being the only good target on the team

Just now, CR91 said:

I bet if you looked at the stat for targets, Hopkins would destroy Hilton. Hopkins had a lot more opportunities to make plays especially being the only good target on the team

I won't question that stat as I believe you are probably correct. However, if Hilton was as dominant as you make him out to be then he should have had more targets as he would have been open more. The biggest problem with our offense this year was the fact that we forced Hilton down the field at least 80 percent of the time. Hilton is just as deadly coming short across the middle then racking up YAC yardage. We misused Hilton a lot last season, and I do believe his stats took a hit because of it. I am curious to how Chud is going to use him in his offense.

15 minutes ago, CR91 said:

How exactly is having a 1000 yard pro bowl season without luck count as a down year

Because he did more in less games the year before and two of his five TDs were garbage time touchdowns in addition to 282 of those yards were in blowouts. Is it really a probowl when you get to go because playoff players decide they don't want to?

16 minutes ago, CR91 said:

No, you just sound like a Homer.
 TY had 2 games over a 100 yards last season in losses against NO & the Jags.
 He scored TD`s in just 3 games.
 He is a Minus as a blocker.
 He has piled up lots of yards against bad D`s and when we are playing from behind against soft D`s.

He is a one of the Top deep Threats which is Supremely valuable, notice i don`t bother saying what #,
 but that is pretty much his whole bag.
   And if you had watched the games you would KNOW he has been WAY over targeted, last season, and before by Andrew. That will get you Stats, but it doesn`t make you The Man when you need a  Big Play/1st down.
 The Gap between small guys TY and Antonio Brown is Humongous.

34 minutes ago, CR91 said:

The fact you put Fitz and cal when their at the ends of their career is enough to put him ahead of them. You're telling me you rather have Fitz or cal for at most 3 good years then Hilton for ten

What are you talking about?  My list was for best receivers right now.  Are we talking about who we would take right now or who we would take if we were to start a franchise?  If I'm starting a franchise, then of course I'd lean towards younger players.  But if we're talking about who we want right now if a game were to be played tomorrow, my list above stands.  We saw what Fitz did in the playoffs and Calvin's physical gifts alone make him one of the best receivers in the game.

29 minutes ago, CR91 said:

That's not true.  Hilton is very appreciated on the boards.  We just don't consider him to be a top 10 receiver. We still think he's talented and a great young receiver to have.

34 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I appreciate what he does. Could you imagine how terrible our WR core would have been the last 4 years without him? He takes the top off of defenses which is huge. 

I don't understand people putting Demaryius Thomas and Cobb over him though. 

9 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

He has piled up lots of yards against bad D`s and when we are playing from behind against soft D`s.

He is a one of the Top deep Threats which is Supremely valuable, notice i don`t bother saying what #,
   And if you had watched the games you would KNOW he has been WAY over targeted, last season, and before by Andrew. That will get you Stats, but it doesn`t make you The Man when you need a  Big Play/1st down.

All the struggles our offense had this season and you criticize Hilton for not getting 1500 yards and 10 tds. Your expectations are ridiculous

10 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

To be fair to TY, none of our TEs or WRs had great years. Matt couldn't move the ball down the field the way Andrew can. If Andrew was healthy TYs stats are most likely better, same with everyone else's.

3 minutes ago, CR91 said:

1.brown

2.Julio

3.obj

4.dez

5.Hilton

6.marshall

7.Hopkins

8.green

9.nelson

10.DT

Marshall was 4th in the league in yards and put up 14 TDs with Ryan Fitzpatrick as his QB.

Hopkins had 1500+ yards and 11 TDs with multiple QBs throwing to him

AJ Green had almost 1300 yards and 10 TDs despite having 2 QBs throw his way

If you want to use the "he didn't have Luck" excuse, you should use it for all these guys too.  None of them had a QB with Luck's talent throwing them the ball.  Those guys had QBs with less talent than Luck throwing them the ball and all had at least 10 TDs.  Hilton had 3 TDs in 7 games with Luck.  Those guys did more with less.

No love for Megatron?  Fitz?  Amari Cooper?  Mike Evans?  Emmanuel Sanders?

3 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Marshall was 4th in the league in yards and put up 14 TDs with Ryan Fitzpatrick as his QB.

Hopkins had 1500+ yards and 11 TDs with multiple QBs throwing to him

AJ Green had almost 1300 yards and 10 TDs despite having 2 QBs throw his way

If you want to use the "he didn't have Luck" excuse, you should use it for all these guys too.  None of them had a QB with Luck's talent throwing them the ball.  Those guys had QBs with less talent than Luck throwing them the ball and all had at least 10 TDs.  Hilton had 3 TDs in 7 games with Luck.  Those guys did more with less.

No love for Megatron?  Fitz?  Amari Cooper?  Mike Evans?  Emmanuel Sanders?

Not a single one of their offenses had as much struggle as we did. We know the type of numbers Hilton can put up when our offense is clicking. 

In my opinion which isn't worth much I wouldn't put TY as my top 10 wide receivers. The biggest reason is he typically disappears in the redzone. Don't get me wrong....between the 20's he is an excellent receiver. He has elite speed and very dangerous. However his size and strength is a big disadvantage in the redzone. Don't get me wrong Antonio Brown isn't huge and he is still a great target in the redzone but I don't think TY runs as crisp routes and is not nearly as physical. So while I'm thrilled we have him and he is a great player I would have other wr's ahead of him because the most important thing an offense can do is put a 6 on the scoreboard...and TY could be better at making himself a target there. He can take it to the house from anywhere but I think he can still improve a lot on his work down on the goal line area. The difference between great and elite isn't much...but TY just isn't there yet.

23 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Yes.  I still don't understand the basis of your rankings.  Are you going off hypotheticals or real stats?

If you say so. It's who I think is the best. If you wanna go off stats, go look at what Hopkins and Marshall did last year

7 hours ago, CR91 said:

Allen Robinson is good, but not top ten. Green has been somewhat inconsistent in his play. He's still a monster, but he doesn't seem to take over games and that's probably because there are more weapons now

Allen Robinson's last season is better than any season Hilton has had. Green has proven to be better than Hilton too.

2 minutes ago, James said:

Allen Robinson's last season is better than any season Hilton has had. Green has proven to be better than Hilton too.

hilton had more yards in 2014 then robinson in 2015 while missing two games so no youre wrong and green has been inconsistent to me. 

I won't even bother posting the top10 or so guys he can't touch. 

Ty is in the muddy middle of guys like Edelman, Hurns, Decker, Floyd, Tate, Lockett, MBryant, Smith, Gordon, Landry, Austin, JBrown, Maclin, Keenan, Crabtree, Cobb, Alshon, Cooks, and younger guys who haven't had a shot like Parker and Kevin White, Diggs. 

That muddy middle list alone is 20+, and I could be swayed he's at the back, middle, or front.

2 hours ago, IndyTrav said:

I won't even bother posting the top10 or so guys he can't touch. 

Ty is in the muddy middle of guys like Edelman, Hurns, Decker, Floyd, Tate, Lockett, MBryant, Smith, Gordon, Landry, Austin, JBrown, Maclin, Keenan, Crabtree, Cobb, Alshon, Cooks, and younger guys who haven't had a shot like Parker and Kevin White, Diggs. 

That muddy middle list alone is 20+, and I could be swayed he's at the back, middle, or front.

I don't think TY is top 10, but Decker and Crabtree?

TY's stats are not really a telling result. His stats are dependent on how well the QB plays and how well the whole offense plays. His numbers were very good when the Colts were playing well and were the #1 offense in the league. I for one am glad he is a Colt receiver and he will put up some great numbers when Luck gets the protection he needs. Just a matter of time IMO.

18 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Antonio Brown

Brandon Marshall

Julio Jones

Dez Bryant

DeAndre Hopkins

Larry Fitzgerald

Calvin Johnson

AJ Green

Odell Beckham Jr.

A healthy Jordy Nelson

That puts him out of the top 10.  I said he's top 15, but not top 10.  You could also make a case for Demaryius Thomas, Emmanuel Sanders, Amari Cooper, and a few others.  Don't take this as a knock on Hilton.  I like Hilton and think he's a really good receiver.  I just don't see him as a top 10 WR

AJ Green is inconsistent and Megatron is probably retiring. But even so, Hilton has been better the last 2 seasons anyways. Brandon Marshall is not top 10 either. A 1,000 yard season with 4 different teams is impressive but not hard when you're the only receiving threat on the team. Hilton is easily top 10. 3 straight years of consistency and he's beat top CBs.

16 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

AJ Green is inconsistent and Megatron is probably retiring. But even so, Hilton has been better the last 2 seasons anyways. Brandon Marshall is not top 10 either. A 1,000 yard season with 4 different teams is impressive but not hard when you're the only receiving threat on the team. Hilton is easily top 10. 3 straight years of consistency and he's beat top CBs.

Megatron is done and I think Hilton and Nelson are pretty even but since Megatron is retired then that puts Hilton in the Top 10 according to Superman's list. D. Thomas was really disappointing last season, Sanders and Hilton are close = very similar but I would take Hilton by a hair over him. AJ Green never shows up in the Playoffs and is inconsistent. Hilton has had some good Playoff games like against the Chiefs for example which was a Great one! 

19 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Antonio Brown

Brandon Marshall

Julio Jones

Dez Bryant

DeAndre Hopkins

Larry Fitzgerald

Calvin Johnson

AJ Green

Odell Beckham Jr.

A healthy Jordy Nelson

That puts him out of the top 10.  I said he's top 15, but not top 10.  You could also make a case for Demaryius Thomas, Emmanuel Sanders, Amari Cooper, and a few others.  Don't take this as a knock on Hilton.  I like Hilton and think he's a really good receiver.  I just don't see him as a top 10 WR

I agree, the big knock on Hilton is that he can disappear at times and he is a non factor a few times per season

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Brandon Marshall isn't a top 10 receiver?  You say it's easy to be a 1000 yard receiver when you're the only receiving threat on a team, but being the only receiving threat on a team means defenses can double or triple team you and leave everyone else in single coverage, making it more difficult to get stats.  Hilton is a very good receiver, but I don't think he's top 10.  Top 15, but not top 10.  With his size and speed, if he can add some physicality to his game, he'd be top 10 easy.  If he can play with the physicality and aggressiveness of a guy like Steve Smith, he'd be one of the most complete receivers in the game.

5 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

I agree, the big knock on Hilton is that he can disappear at times and he is a non factor a few times per season

I agree with your comment but all the receivers listed can disappear at times. Sometimes it's as simple as what the defenses they are facing does. While I am not going to point out any one receiver quite a few of them have had cases where they haven't been effective. I think there are enough of us who play FFL and we have a pretty good idea who is making catches and when they are not.

On 2/22/2016 at 1:42 PM, throwing BBZ said:

You kids that are Always talking about Top 10 defense, top ___  projections are so full of it, grow up.
  It is just opinion and there is no way you have enough info/knowledge to barely have a Clue!
 I forgot to add Randall Cobb to my list of players i would rather have than TY. That makes 15.

Image result for funny memes 2015