Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mr Grigson, were you watching?

WoolMagnet

1 hour ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

Yeah and Brady got sacked & smacked around pretty good his line did'nt protect him as well as 18's they both rushed for a first down all in all Brady was abused much more than Manning . Yeah & I watched every game my team played & yes our O-line sucked we Clip board Jesus for a starter it don't get any worse bringing in QB's off the street ,

The Hoodie defense has always played 18 very tough yesterday the Broncos played a very motivated New England team inspite of there shortcomings Denver surprised many me included so I don't care about how many games you watched I just saw the 1 & it was a WIN for the home team at the end of the day you got to be in it to WIN it .

2006 Colts DEFENSE sucked the worst in the league turned it on in the playoffs & won a Superbowl 

He don't need to slide if he can stay in the pocket instead of running for his life .

Obviously there O-line was good enough

Yeah, Brady's line sucked this year too. My main point is this notion that our o-line needs some huge overhaul is nonsense. We have 3 or 4 solid pieces in place, but we do need a DRASTIC upgrade at center, a couple other players for depth, then we'll be ready to light up the scoreboards.

And as sweet as having the #1 defense in the league would be, Denver sold their souls for it. They're going to have a lot of tough decisions to make this offseason just to keep half of it intact.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Just curious, how would you grade Grigson's last offseason?

As usual his FA was horrible. No player outperformed or played to the level of their contract aside from Langford and Lowery who both were average this season. I would give him props for re-signing Reitz, but it became obvious that he gave him that contract with the expectation of being a backup. He still for some reason went into 2015 with Harrison or Holmes at center when it was pretty clear both were terrible players. No added young edge talent. 

First round draft choice was awful. There was no need to take Dorsett when a much better player (Tyler Lockett) would be available later. 

TBD on D'Joun Smith, but i have no reason to expect anything. Anderson was such a great pick that I find it hard to believe that it was even Grigson's call to draft him. Geathers is meh. Parry is meh. Robinson is nothing. Goode is clearly a backup player no matter what Grigson has managed to whisper in Irsay's ear. 

So, in all it was pretty terrible. 

I understand about both points coming from the camps of offense & defense. But, take a look at the summation of just about ALL Super Bowl winners. Whatta ya see more than anything else that jumps off the page? DEFENSE! Yeah, I'm a defensive nut. However, it's just the way things are trying to accomplish Championships. Give me the #1 defense v. #1 offense in any venue, and I'll take the former than the latter. It may not ALL prove that way, but it's very, very close.

19 minutes ago, Dustin said:

As usual his FA was horrible. No player outperformed or played to the level of their contract aside from Langford and Lowery who both were average this season. I would give him props for re-signing Reitz, but it became obvious that he gave him that contract with the expectation of being a backup. He still for some reason went into 2015 with Harrison or Holmes at center when it was pretty clear both were terrible players. No added young edge talent. 

First round draft choice was awful. There was no need to take Dorsett when a much better player (Tyler Lockett) would be available later. 

TBD on D'Joun Smith, but i have no reason to expect anything. Anderson was such a great pick that I find it hard to believe that it was even Grigson's call to draft him. Geathers is meh. Parry is meh. Robinson is nothing. Goode is clearly a backup player no matter what Grigson has managed to whisper in Irsay's ear. 

Dustin : Do you think or know that Grigson has in the past drafts relied on the Coaching staff for critical information? Besides the obvious of scouts, engaged personnel surrounding the drafts, and Irsay, it seems to many that RG has gone rogue on many picks. I would like to think it's different. But, I'm just not sure. I know the role of GMs concerning the draft. Gather as much info as you can from every reliable source you can, and make the call. 

Does anyone see or feel this to be a rogue issue. If so, explain. I'm all ears. 

Just now, ColtRider said:

Dustin : Do you think or know that Grigson has in the past drafts relied on the Coaching staff for critical information? Besides the obvious of scouts, engaged personnel surrounding the drafts, and Irsay, it seems to many that RG has gone rogue on many picks. I would like to think it's different. But, I'm just not sure. I know the role of GMs concerning the draft. Gather as much info as you can from every reliable source you can, and make the call. 

Does anyone see or feel this to be a rogue issue. If so, explain. I'm all ears. 

I'm sure he's listened to information gathered from the staff. How much of that does he actually take into consideration? I have no way of knowing. I know him, Pagano, and Manusky all agreed upon taking Casey Heyward in 2012 (even though he was taken before us) so I'm sure they all work in unison, but I'm sure Grigson is going to take who he wants regardless of what anyone aside from Irsay tells him. 

6 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I'm sure he's listened to information gathered from the staff. How much of that does he actually take into consideration? I have no way of knowing. I know him, Pagano, and Manusky all agreed upon taking Casey Heyward in 2012 (even though he was taken before us) so I'm sure they all work in unison, but I'm sure Grigson is going to take who he wants regardless of what anyone aside from Irsay tells him. 

Thanks. Do you feel that's a big problem concerning his misses? Especially 2013. Most GMs from what I've gathered over the years rely on their Coaching staffs very heavily because of all the multiple aspects that go into each & every pick. If Ryan has gone rogue on many of his choices, maybe this entire shake-up through the organization will be completely different. At least from my vantage point it would seem extremely more logical & fruitful.

37 minutes ago, Dustin said:

That's what I wondered.

2 hours ago, Dustin said:

Langford was average? 

4 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Get a grip. One mans pre draft "Blue Chip Prospect" don`t make it so.
     Here are 6 of them that are playing at a high level.

9th overall pick  1st Team All-Pro Kuechly maybe.

14th overall pick Thomas Davis
  1st rd pick  Shaq Thompson
 44th pick  Kawaan Short
 60th pick Kony Ealy
 3rd pick by the Panthers Charles Johnson has been a Blue Chip player in the league for many years, had some injuries this season

Did I offend you? I thought we were talking about the D-Line only and my definition of a blue chip player is someone who is drafted and is an immediate high level starter. Short and Ealy took time to develop and I don't think Thompson had much of an impact(could be wrong). 

The last few years have really re-iterated the old 'Defense wins Championships' mantra. The best defense destroyed the best offense in 2013. Last year the Pats add the best cornerback of the last decade and they win it all. This year it's the best two defenses in the league going at it. The Broncos have advanced with a terrible Oline and severely limited Peyton, while the Panthers have absolutely no receiving threats other than Greg Olsen.

This offseason should be all defense, we need players at every position. Our Oline was not as bad as people think. We had a better one than NE, Denver, Seattle, and KC. Luck had a poor year, but I think a lot of that had to do with Pep, and he will be far better next year.

52 minutes ago, The Peytonator said:

The last few years have really re-iterated the old 'Defense wins Championships' mantra. The best defense destroyed the best offense in 2013. Last year the Pats add the best cornerback of the last decade and they win it all. This year it's the best two defenses in the league going at it. The Broncos have advanced with a terrible Oline and severely limited Peyton, while the Panthers have absolutely no receiving threats other than Greg Olsen.

This offseason should be all defense, we need players at every position. Our Oline was not as bad as people think. We had a better one than NE, Denver, Seattle, and KC. Luck had a poor year, but I think a lot of that had to do with Pep, and he will be far better next year.

All things told, the Colts O line ranked out average (what that says about O line talent league wide is a whole other can of worms). Horrific pass rush and mediocre QB play killed us this year. One assumes the QB play is rectifiable given the talent at the position we have. Hopefully, the new Strength and Conditioning regimen can help with injuries as well.

The NFL has adapated to the current pass happy ruleset, as defensive minds were bound to do. Having at least one pass rusher is now critical to success on defense, regardless of scheme. The Colts have maybe 1 if you put all their "pass rushers" together. It's criminal how the OLB position has been allowed to degrade. 

4 hours ago, The Peytonator said:

I agree with this.

Though I do think the offensive line needs improved at center I think overall improvement can come from coaching/scheme/play calling which I feel better about with Chud officially named the OC and Philbin as O-Line coach. Defensively there needs to be some talent upgrade all over.

Denver was getting pressure with 3 guys on Sunday. Not the entire game but some. I really hope Grigson took notes on how the Broncos/Panthers have been built.

It's not like what we saw was a surprise either. We have seen it for years...defense wins championships. That Denver defense won them the AFC Championship. I hope Grigson is lazer focused on building a Colts defense that can do the same.

13 hours ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

What a way to minimize.............

This is the type of stuff he says when he knows he's said something overboard or just plain stupid. He can't stand to be wrong so he starts talking about the guys conditioning. Stuff nobody is going to go back and watch several clips of to see if he is right. And for that matter who cares. I will take as many free agent players as possible who bring me 7 sacks and are productive in the run game. There's several players with names who did not produce like Langford.

On January 25, 2016 at 10:57 PM, NorthernBlue said:

What do you mean "no more?" Grigson has literally taken one WR in the first round, and even though this past season hasn't worked out, Dorsett is showing lots of potential.

What does showing a lot of potential mean exactly?

25 minutes ago, Bubbz said:

What does showing a lot of potential mean exactly?

Dorsett & Moncrief made catches in games that T.Y was just a pedestrian in very little impact by the receiver who just got the big payday .

Potential is what they displayed just like T.Y had in his previous seasons  IMO 13 took a step back while these others showed they have the potential to do more .

:thmup::thmup:

29 minutes ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

Dorsett & Moncrief made catches in games that T.Y was just a pedestrian in very little impact by the receiver who just got the big payday .

Potential is what they displayed just like T.Y had in his previous seasons  IMO 13 took a step back while these others showed they have the potential to do more .

:thmup::thmup:

Yep! I couldn't agree more! Moncrief has made a lot of crucial catches and plays during his short time here. I actually could see him surpassing TY. He's a workhorse for sure!

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 10:50 PM, Jules said:

I wasn't on the o line bandwagon as much until THIS season. Now I get it, oh boy do I. We killed both Luck and Hasselbeck. 

I would be happy with drafting nothing but o line lol.

Pass rush can wait........I am not as worried. People have been screaming about pass rush more often on forums since the 2007 Giants.

And Whitehurst....

I wish I could hate Grigson because he is an Executive, and could blame him for what's wrong with the team, just like I blame people like him for what's wrong with the world and for my little oppressed place in it that I occupy.

If I wanted to actually think about the situation, I would realize that Grigs did not have the:

14TH OVERALL pick with which to choose Lotueleli.

9TH overall pick with which to choose Kuechly.

14TH OVERALL pick WAY BACK IN 2005 with which to choose Thomas Davis.

Clairvoyance to draft Josh Norman with a pick higher than the 5th round pick Carolina used, just like all NFL GMs and Carolina's GM didn't. 

But, he did realize that trading for Vontae Davis (a scheme fit CB) Instead of using the second round pick that Carolina used on Kawann Short (a 4-3 undertackle), is a better deal for the Colts.

But carry on with mindless bashing.....

24 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I wish I could hate Grigson because he is an Executive, and could blame him for what's wrong with the team, just like I blame people like him for what's wrong with the world and for my little oppressed place in it that I occupy.

If I wanted to actually think about the situation, I would realize that Grigs did not have the:

Clairvoyance to draft Josh Norman with a pick higher than the 5th round pick Carolina used, just like all NFL GMs and Carolina's GM didn't. 

But, he did realize that trading for Vontae Davis (a scheme fit CB) Instead of using the second round pick that Carolina used on Kawann Short (a 4-3 undertackle), is a better deal for the Colts.

10 hours ago, SkyBane said:

The O line is better than people give it credit for, the real reason to question Grigson is his first round success rate. He's done decent-good finding talent outside the first round, but check this out

2012 draft:

1-1: Andrew Luck

2013 draft:

1-24: Bjoern Werner

2014 draft:

traded to Cleveland- Trent Richardson

2015 draft: 

1-29: Phillip Dorsett

W H E W

H

E

It's not mindless, dude has done some silly things.

18 minutes ago, DougDew said:

DD, the only thing that had me concerned about RG is, as I mentioned earlier, IF he had gone rogue on all his draft picks during his tenure here. Just threw out the question to anyone who had/has knowledge about that. RG has hit on more picks than not. If we're going to build this defense and OL up to a formidable one, I would want multiple input on varying positions. That may be happening or not. Would really like to think the new Coaching staff will weigh heavily into this year's draft, along with scouting/war-room personnel.

9 minutes ago, ColtRider said:

DD, the only thing that had me concerned about RG is, as I mentioned earlier, IF he had gone rogue on all his draft picks during his tenure here. Just threw out the question to anyone who had/has knowledge about that. RG has hit on more picks than not. If we're going to build this defense and OL up to a formidable one, I would want multiple input on varying positions. That may be happening or not. Would really like to think the new Coaching staff will weigh heavily into this year's draft, along with scouting/war-room personnel.

I'm not defending RG.  Just pointing out that its really easy to criticize someone for who they didn't draft. 

If people want to evaluate RGs performance, they need details.  Areas of exploration would be the TRich and Werner draft picks, and who at the time would've have been a better choice (and not use some lucky shot pick who was chosen in the third round and turned out all-pro to make their argument)

It appears that the two SB teams this year have very stout defenses.  With all of the chatter about each team's DLs and LBs, they also have very good CBs.  And NE was having success after Denver's two Safeties left the game.

1 minute ago, SkyBane said:

It's hard to look at the positive when the results have been mostly negative.

It's not hard if all you look for is negative. The Colts have a down year and some think the sky is falling. Even when things were going south the Colts still fought and tried their best when they could have packed it in. I am not going to sit around this off season and brood about what might have been.

25 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

It's not hard if all you look for is negative. The Colts have a down year and some think the sky is falling. Even when things were going south the Colts still fought and tried their best when they could have packed it in. I am not going to sit around this off season and brood about what might have been.

Then you probably shouldn't spend time on the internet looking at people trying to analyze what went wrong. Positivity doesn't fix the problems, identifying them and doing things differently does.

Whether you like it or not, negativity is healthy.

8 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Hopefully Grigson saw the many talented players on defense the Broncos have. Undoubtedly a few of them will reach free agency. Malik Jackson is one realistic option I'd love to have to increase Indy's pass rush from the DL.  

Our pass rush from the DL was actually not bad this year. The problem is we run a 34 scheme, where the pressure traditionally comes from the linebackers. Outside of Erik Walden (who isn't even supposed to be a rush backer), our linebackers incredibly underperformed on holding up their end of the pass rush bargain. 

That's where things have to improve if we want a better pass rush. Whether that's Newsome taking some miraculous steps forward or an infusion of new talent (preferably both), we have to get better off the edge. I don't see a bigger hole on this roster than OLB.

2 hours ago, SkyBane said:

Then you probably shouldn't spend time on the internet looking at people trying to analyze what went wrong. Positivity doesn't fix the problems, identifying them and doing things differently does.

Whether you like it or not, negativity is healthy.

It's not rocket science. My point being looking at nothing but the negative is being narrow minded IMO. The biggest majority of forum members knows exactly what happened and why. The problems have already been identified and analyzed. Now the only thing left is debating on who to bring in to fix it. Harping on the same negative issues does no one any good. You say negativity is healthy? Only if your looking and seeing the big picture.