Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pat doing all the kicking?

CR91

No.    You don't want this.

Because if Pat should ever be hurt,  then you need TWO players to replace him.

It's one thing if he gets hurt during the week.    Then, maybe you can scramble for two.

But if gets hurt during the game,  then you need to scramble for two replacements.

It's a disaster waiting to happen.

We WILL re-sign Adam.      Make book on it.

Pat said on the radio the other day that doing both is not an option any more. Said his leg is already taxed enough with punting and kicking off. Also said Adam can kick for as long as he wants to and that he (adam) was hitting from 68 yards before one of the last games. I watch warm ups and Adam hits from 56-58 yards and clears with room to spare. 

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

It's one thing if he gets hurt during the week.    Then, maybe you can scramble for two.

But if gets hurt during the game,  then you need to scramble for two replacements.

Yes sir. Cutting your nose off to spite your face is never a good idea. Someone told me that. :)

Pat was on JMV last week talking about how his knees are starting to bother him from how he kicks.  He did say if he moved to kicker he could do that for the rest of his career but I think it's more likely they aren't going to put that wear and tear on him.  If he becomes the kicker I am guessing they would add a new punter.  I think it's more likely they leave him at punter and look else where for a kicker.

Remember what happened to Kevin Huber the Cinci punter that broke his jaw. Freak accidents happen all the time in the NFL, yes even to punters and kickers. That is why you need both a punter and a kicker so that if one goes down the other can hold down the fort for at least the rest of them game. I don't see McAfee doing both, I would like to see it happen, but it doesn't seem like a realistic possibility.

3 hours ago, ColtRider said:

Yes sir. Cutting your nose off to spite your face is never a good idea. Someone told me that. :)

Ahhh....   ehhhhh....   uhhhhh....

That one went right over my head....    I missed it entirely....   but, it's not the first time....   so,  OK....

I would have no problem with him pulling double duty.  As compared to other positions, it's still low impact.  On punts and kickoffs he might have to rethink being a beast of a tackler when things go array, however.

Though it was the CFL, not the NFL, The Winnipeg Blue Bombers Bernie Ruoff did double duty as was among the league`s best as both a punter and placekicker. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernie_Ruoff

I agree with the reasons above it isn't a good idea. On top of that with moving back the extra point...ACCURACY is even more important in your kicker. Its one thing to miss a fg..but if we have problems converting extra points consistently because Pat can't be accurate that just isn't a good thing. I have no problem if we needed to run him out for a 60 yd game winner...but not as an every day kicker. I don't think anyone in the organization has seen him prove he could be an everyday kicker. He is great at what he is. Being a back up kicker is just an added bonus.

I'll bet that we see a PattyMac FG attempt from 60+, some time in the next couple of seasons. If it's "4th and forever" from the 50, with 3 seconds to go in the 4th, and behind by less than 4 points it could be worth a shot. Probably much better than the odds of completing a Hail Mary, even from Luck.  It would certainly be fun to watch.

On 1/20/2016 at 7:49 PM, NewColtsFan said:

This. . . plus you don't have an effective backup in game for him.  Usually a placekicker can act as a backup punter and vice versa.  If Pat's hurt in the first quarter from ANYTHING or worse say he starts puking his guts up on gameday morning then you have no one on the team that's trained in kicking or punting.  

On top of that I find it odd that people get really excited about the idea of Pat doing the FG kicking because he can hit some FG's undefended in practice.  

On 1/20/2016 at 7:49 PM, coltsva said:

Pat said on the radio the other day that doing both is not an option any more. Said his leg is already taxed enough with punting and kicking off. Also said Adam can kick for as long as he wants to and that he (adam) was hitting from 68 yards before one of the last games. I watch warm ups and Adam hits from 56-58 yards and clears with room to spare. 

His leg is taxed enough because we had to punt too often!  

Although I get upset when we can't cover punts I sure like seeing Pat blow up the returners.