oldunclemark

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, NBColtsFanatic said:

You wanted Houston to win?

I really hated both teams, so there honestly wasn't a way for me to win. I count it as a loss for me. But I live in Missouri, which means the garb chiefs winning against the worst playoff team in the past 8 years will get shoved into my face until they get put down by someone. It'd be easier to see the Texans win. 

2 minutes ago, amfootball said:

Luck ran out on Feb 1 though. lol.

In all fairness i would call that not running out of luck but a very bad playcall, all they had to do was hand it off and its not a given but a very good chance they win that game

The kicker scored all their points is 1 way to look at it.

This guarantees a Packers victory lol! The Redskins don't win and the Packers do, no matter how good the Redskins look sometimes and no matter how overrated the Packers are (winning is a big part of being overrated). And the Vikings don't win. Idk...

Honestly this sort of stuff has to happen for a team to win it all. You gotta get some breaks...I mean Seattle had to have an onside kick and two pt conversion to even make it to the SB last year. Some teams are lucky...and some teams make their own breaks....not sure about this one but overall Seattle puts so much pressure on you typically they force mistakes.

15 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yep....like maybe some karma from last year paying them back...but honestly Teddy deserved to win that game...feel bad for him and NFLFAN.

Thank you,  DG. I am okay.

But what a missed opportunity for my young team.  This is reminiscent of Gary Anderson's missing the winning FG in 1999. I was crushed then but I am okay now because I am optimistic for the future. Back then we had a lot of aging players. I am very proud of my team -- they are young, I love Zimmer and I like the approach of our GM.

Almost no one gave the team a chance today but they made it a game. There are no moral victories in football but I can choose to see the positives.

Dg, do you think any better of Teddy today than you did when he was coming out of Louisville? 

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Honestly this sort of stuff has to happen for a team to win it all. You gotta get some breaks...I mean Seattle had to have an onside kick and two pt conversion to even make it to the SB last year. Some teams are lucky...and some teams make their own breaks....not sure about this one but overall Seattle puts so much pressure on you typically they force mistakes.

But it happens every year. SF, GB, and now this game. You would think this team would have exhausted its luck by now.

14 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

He was pulling a Vinatieri all game, then pulled a Vanderjagt 

I know you were joking of course but Vanderjagt has a high field goal percentage made than Vinatieri...Vinatieri 84.1...Vanderjagt....86.5.

The only person to have a higher percentage that played at least as long as he did (9 seasons) is Stephen Gostkowski (10 seasons)

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Thank you,  DG. I am okay.

But what a missed opportunity for my young team.  This is reminiscent of Gary Anderson's missing the winning FG in 1999. I was crushed then but I am okay now because I am optimistic for the future. Back then we had a lot of aging players. I am very proud of my team -- they are young, I love Zimmer and I like the approach of our GM.

Almost no one gave the team a chance but they made it a game. There are no moral victories in football but I can choose to see the positives.

Dg, do you think any better of Teddy today than you did when he was coming out of Louisville? 

I do! He has proven me wrong. I was a big Carr and Bortles fan. I thought Teddy was too frail/slight of size and his hands weren't big enough for those cold NFC North games. He has proven me wrong. I did however say he was a great LEADER at Louisville. EVERYONE praised him for that. He managed the game very well. That is a great young team you have and beating GB was the first step in building a great future....this would have been another big step. I just feel so bad because they battled so hard. If Teddy can stay healthy and they continue to build on that defense...they should be able to stay atop that division for a while.

6 minutes ago, Gavin said:

I know you were joking of course but Vanderjagt has a high field goal percentage made than Vinatieri...Vinatieri 84.1...Vanderjagt....86.5.

The only person to have a higher percentage that played at least as long as he did (9 seasons) is Stephen Gostkowski (10 seasons)

He just missed the crucial ones

7 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Yep...and that's the difference from being a great kicker and being AV.....a hall of fame kicker. Making big kicks is one thing...making game winning kicks under playoff pressure is another. Nobody has done it better than AV.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I do! He has proven me wrong. I was a big Carr and Bortles fan. I thought Teddy was too frail/slight of size and his hands weren't big enough for those cold NFC North games. He has proven me wrong. I did however say he was a great LEADER at Louisville. EVERYONE praised him for that. He managed the game very well. That is a great young team you have and beating GB was the first step in building a great future....this would have been another big step. I just feel so bad because they battled so hard. If Teddy can stay healthy and they continue to build on that defense...they should be able to stay atop that division for a while.

Thank you. That makes me feel even better. You know your football and are not prone to hyperbole and superstitions, etc. Your positive assessment of the team means a lot. 

Cant even blame Peterson much on the fumble. Two guys grabbed his arms and just yanked the ball loose.

Minnesota earned the home field....shut them out for 3Qs.....held Seattle to 10 points and still lost..

...gonna be hard to get over.

But that's the kind of game that drives you in the offseason....

they've just paid some hard, cold  dues ..and next year they have paid the cost to be the boss.

A real chip on their shoulders not some made up slight.

Could drive them to great heights (although it never seems to work that way for the Bengals)

15 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He just missed the crucial ones

The kick vs Pittsburgh definitely sticks out. One vs Miami in 2000 in the playoffs and one vs the Jets. Yeah he missed a few. I tend to not dwell on those because those kicks were all 46-51 yards The kick he missed vs the Steelers was 46 yards...No cheapie

Just now, NFLfan said:

Thank you. That makes me feel even better. You know your football and are not prone to hyperbole and superstitions, etc. Your positive assessment of the team means a lot. 

Well I think just about anyone can see that their GM and Mike Zimmer have a good thing going there. Nice young lbs, some good pieces in the secondary..OL can be better at times but just about every team in the NFL is trying to figure that piece out. I can't say Teddy is going be the next Joe Montana or Tom Brady but I think he can be a good solid leader. I can see him being sort of a Alex Smith style qb...minus the bad early years. Takes care of the football...can scramble a bit and pick up yards. Doesn't have a huge arm but can make the necessary throws. Nothing spectacular but just a good qb. You can win with that...that and a good defense...you can't win with a qb throwing 4 ints or a guy blowing up on officials or knocking dudes heads off at critical times...you guys don't have any of that nonsense. I think you are positioned well for the near future...you may not have a superstar qb like Rodgers but you have a better TEAM.

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am late to the Postings. I have had a lot of company over today. Sorry for the loss NFLFan. That is one of the worse ways to lose a game. Cant believe Walsh could miss a freakin chip shot like that!

Yes, that was a bummer, but as PrincetonTiger might say,  "Everything is going to be alright."  

Now, your team and mine are going to fight to get the best offensive linemen out there. And our teams will meet next year in MN. 

Just now, NFLfan said:

Yes, that was a bummer, but as PrincetonTiger might say,  "Everything is going to be alright."  

Now, your team and mine are going to fight to get the best offensive linemen out there. And our teams will meet next year in MN. 

Nothing for the Vikings to hang their head about.    A really good season to build on.    What is the thinking up there about peterson going forward?   He isn't playing like a guy his age.    He runs hard,    just seems to fumble at the worst possible times

41 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Nothing for the Vikings to hang their head about.    A really good season to build on.    What is the thinking up there about peterson going forward?   He isn't playing like a guy his age.    He runs hard,    just seems to fumble at the worst possible times

Thank you. I appreciate that.

Many fans are not happy with AP today. But fans are fickle.  Most of the year, they wanted the ball in AP's hands most of the time. The head coach seems to like Peterson a lot. AP is in great shape and still runs pretty well; so, it seems like he will play for the Vikings again next year.

I am not a big Peterson fan. He is too "all or nothing". I prefer RBs that can get some yards on every carry.  I don't value home runs (long runs) the way other fans do. In almost all games, AP will have one long run that makes his stats look better than they really are but he was not that great this year, IMHO. He seems to fumble at the worst times. Had he not fumbled there, we may have won.  I would rather the offense go through Teddy than through AP. As long as AP is on the team, Teddy's growth will be stunted.  Those who don't watch the Vikings will question that,  saying AP is a HoFer and is the rushing leader. But those of us who watch every game see that he was not too dependable. 

I agree with what this Vikings fan wrote in here:

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2015/12/7/9864000/the-elephant-in-the-room

It starts off like this:

The Minnesota Vikings are over-constrained with Adrian Peterson as the focal point of their offense. It is a bit of a Monkey's Paw situation, where wishing for the nation's best running back would never be considered a poor idea initially. In fact, the notion of not desiring the best (at any position) would likely promote public mockery. As time has gone on, it has morphed into a curse, so-to-speak....

Edited by SteelCityColt