Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

According to an NFL source, the Colts were negotiating with Sean Payton reps while Pagano talks were also happening. Talks broke down.

Dustin

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two things - Tom Benson holds all the cards and will insist on a 2nd round pick for Sean Payton, no matter what since Payton is signed till 2017. With recent misses in free agency and Luck's contract coming up, the draft picks are more valuable for this franchise than ever. Next, Sean Payton may have wanted a say in personnel and Irsay was not going to give it to him.

This doesn't surprise me at all nor would checking with Saban to see if he had any interest at all before just re doing Pagano contract. And he should have been trying to improve the team. That explains why it took all day and whatever plan Pagano and Grigs laid out to make Irsay believe keeping things the same would not be the worst thing in the world to have happen. 

36 minutes ago, Dustin said:

So? What's you point? Is there something wrong with kicking the tires? Why even bring this up when it makes no difference at this point? You really like posting stuff just to keep things negative. We have already seen how reliable NFL sources are and you can keep drinking the cool aid that the media keeps getting wrong.

There is something wrong with kicking the tires if Irsay really believes in Pagano.  I really believe that Irsay couldn't get who he really wanted so he stuck with what he had.  If that doesn't show lack of confidence in Pagano then I don't know what does.  

I thought this was coming.....    when Irsay's meeting with Pagano started hours later than expected,  I thought something was going on.    And when the meeting went hours and hours and hours longer than expected,   I thought something was going on.    And I'm sure plenty of you thought so as well.

We looked elsewhere and didn't get the answers back that we either wanted or expected.      As a Pagano supporter,  I'm fine with it.

At least,  when Payton, and presumably Saban too, (and anyone else) said "no thanks..."   or when we couldn't come to terms,   we turned back to Pagano.

I'm pleased we didn't continue to look elsewhere.    I'm pleased we felt Pags was good enough to keep when the top choices couldn't be hired.

I've got no problem with what Dustin posted.    It's a new day....  and we go forward from here....

Better Days Ahead!!       :thmup:

3 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

There is something wrong with kicking the tires if Irsay really believes in Pagano.  I really believe that Irsay couldn't get who he really wanted so he stuck with what he had.  If that doesn't show lack of confidence in Pagano then I don't know what does.  

Irsay just signed Pagano to a four year deal. So your comment has no backbone.

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I thought this was coming.....    when Irsay's meeting with Pagano started hours later than expected,  I thought something was going on.    And when the meeting went hours and hours and hours longer than expected,   I thought something was going on.    And I'm sure plenty of you thought so as well.

We looked elsewhere and didn't get the answers back that we either wanted or expected.      As a Pagano supporter,  I'm fine with it.

At least,  when Payton, and presumably Saban too, (and anyone else) said "no thanks..."   or when we couldn't come to terms,   we turned back to Pagano.

I'm pleased we didn't continue to look elsewhere.    I'm pleased we felt Pags was good enough to keep when the top choices couldn't be hired.

I've got no problem with what Dustin posted.    It's a new day....  and we go forward from here....

Better Days Ahead!!       :thmup:

I bet the Saints asking price was just too high. I don't think Irsay would have a problem handing out a huge contract to Payton, but I don't think he'd want to part with high-draft picks. 

Also, PFT reported that the Colts didn't even reach out to Saban fwiw.

11 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

So? What's you point? Is there something wrong with kicking the tires? Why even bring this up when it makes no difference at this point? You really like posting stuff just to keep things negative. We have already seen how reliable NFL sources are and you can keep drinking the cool aid that the media keeps getting wrong.

He's mad because Pagano signed a contract so he goes and digs up some pointless negative info about the guy he wanted.  And the point is what?

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

He's mad because Pagano signed a contract so he goes and digs up some pointless negative info about the guy he wanted.  And the point is what?

Dig up pointless infor? Are you kidding me? Yes, i really scoured the depths of the internet for this tweet with over 300 retweets, 

Why are you guys so mad that relevant info is being posted all of a sudden? 

8 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

Respectfully disagree. As an owner he has to do his due diligence and look anywhere he can to make his team better. There is a lot of evidence pointing to Chuck being a great coach, and a lot of evidence pointing the other way. Pagano could have already been contacted by another team (don't know if this was legal or not but just saying) then Irsay would be forced to give up a pick, break up the locker room, and lose the continuity he established.

If you are thinking of moving you are gonna look at other places before you ultimately decide maybe it's not the best time to move. This "story" tries to make it seem like Irsay didn't get his guy all day so he kept Chuck in limbo and eventually just extended him as a consolation. I disagree and see an owner who is exploring all avenues to get better and chose what he felt was best for the team. Heck, he could have said to Chuck and Grigson "you are both gone if I give up this 2 for Payton so work it out now". It's made to sound like talks broke down because Indy didn't want to give up a pick, not because the HC and GM talked it out like men and reconciled.

The HC's contract expires and the owner/GM do due diligence.  As Irsay said, it was a process.  If somebody wants to read other things into it to fit their narrative they are welcome.

Its not a big deal to suggest that Irsay and/or Grigson think that there are better coaches than Chuck Pagano.  That reality exist unless you have the best HC on the planet coaching your team.

I'm sure the twitter twit who opined probably wants to start more drama....for his followers and personal compensation.

2 minutes ago, bababooey said:

Respectfully disagree. As an owner he has to do his due diligence and look anywhere he can to make his team better. There is a lot of evidence pointing to Chuck being a great coach, and a lot of evidence pointing the other way. Pagano could have already been contacted by another team (don't know if this was legal or not but just saying) then Irsay would be forced to give up a pick, break up the locker room, and lose the continuity he established.

If you are thinking of moving you are gonna look at other places before you ultimately decide maybe it's not the best time to move. This "story" tries to make it seem like Irsay didn't get his guy all day so he kept Chuck in limbo and eventually just extended him as a consolation. I disagree and see an owner who is exploring all avenues to get better and chose what he felt was best for the team. Heck, he could have said to Chuck and Grigson "you are both gone if I give up this 2 for Payton so work it out now". It's made to sound like talks broke down because Indy didn't want to give up a pick, not because the HC and GM talked it out like men and reconciled.

That makes sense. The media has turned this whole thing into a circus and way too many are buying into the nonsense. What goes on behind closed doors we never know and taking what the media speculates as truth is foolish.

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The HC's contract expires and the owner/GM do due diligence.  As Irsay said, it was a process.  If somebody wants to read other things into it to fit their narrative they are welcome.

Its not a big deal to suggest that Irsay and/or Grigson think that there are better coaches than Chuck Pagano.  That reality exist unless you have the best HC on the planet coaching your team.

I'm sure the twitter twit who opined probably wants to start more drama....for his followers and personal compensation.

Wherever this rumor came from, doesn't really matter.  It's probably true.  But it's a mole hill that the media is making into a mountain.  I guarantee you Pagano and Grigson knew that either their differences would be resolved and they'd work together going forward or they'd be replaced.  The incentive to get that worked out sooner rather than later was that they could be replaced before they could come to an amicable agreement.  I don't think anyone in Irsay's office was oblivious to that fact.

Irsay called me too, I told him I wouldn't take the job unless we could get rid of Grigson, and while he was impressed with my madden play and my resume of winning, he wasn't willing to dump Grigson for a rookie head coach. I think he made a huge mistake. I even pointed out that Grigson traded a 1st round pick for T-Rich and then drafted Werner with a 1st rounder, but he wouldn't budge, he kept rambling on about T.Y. Hilton and Vontae Davis.

6 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

According to an NFL source

Yeah. Right.

Whatever happened to needing proof that a source exists?

You either believe the writer or you don't.   

Typically fans believe the writer when they like what has been written.    And they don't believe the writer when they don't.

But using anonymous sources has gone on for decades.   This isn't something that changed recently.   If people are revealing sensitive information,  they most typically don't want their name to be revealed as the source.

It's pretty common.     You may not like it,  but that's the way information typically works.    You have to decide for yourself.

8 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Wherever this rumor came from, doesn't really matter.  It's probably true.  But it's a mole hill that the media is making into a mountain.  I guarantee you Pagano and Grigson knew that either their differences would be resolved and they'd work together going forward or they'd be replaced.  The incentive to get that worked out sooner rather than later was that they could be replaced before they could come to an amicable agreement.  I don't think anyone in Irsay's office was oblivious to that fact.

Yes.

31 NFL teams do not have the best coach on the planet, or the best that's available, but would like too.

Marketing data suggests that squabbling Kardashians sells copy.

24 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

Well, Pagano wasn't under contract anymore after Sunday's game, so yesterday we literally had no coach. There were also plenty of sources (Indy media painting their own picture) out there who said that they didn't even think Pagano wanted to come back with all of the "dysfunction" in the Colts complex. So knowing all of that, I understand why it would be prudent to reach out to prospective hires if there was any doubt whatsoever in Irsay's mind that Pagano would be back, for whatever reason.

LOL this is rich. After all the nonsense the media has put on so called NFL sources do we really

want to put any faith that there was serious negotiations involved. Sure Irsay may have

put out a feeler but in the end he had to know that he wasnt going to mortgage any future

draft picks for an unknown.  Typical media trying to create a story where they have no

idea if there is one or not. Whenever I see NFL sources as the source I just laugh

because the blogger will more than likely look like a fool.

1 minute ago, Blindside said:

LOL this is rich. After all the nonsense the media has put on so called NFL sources do we really want to put any faith that there was serious negotiations involved. Sure Irsay may have put out a feeler but in the end he had to know that he wasnt going to mortgage any futuredraft picks for an unknown.  Typical media trying to create a story where they have no idea if there is one or not. Whenever I see NFL sources as the source I just laugh because the blogger will more than likely look like a fool.

8 minutes ago, Blindside said:

LOL this is rich. After all the nonsense the media has put on so called NFL sources do we really

want to put any faith that there was serious negotiations involved. Sure Irsay may have

put out a feeler but in the end he had to know that he wasnt going to mortgage any future

draft picks for an unknown.  Typical media trying to create a story where they have no

idea if there is one or not. Whenever I see NFL sources as the source I just laugh

because the blogger will more than likely look like a fool.

I guarantee you he would have traded for Payton.  The Saints requests for a 2nd had been out all day long and Irsay was reportedly talking ot them through the afternoon.  A 2nd isn't that high a commodity, especially for a proven NFL head coach (t's been stated several times here, but Gruden was sent to TB for two 1st rounders, two 2nd rounders and 8 million when he hadn't even been to a SB yet, and that was back in 2002).  Probably where things started going south is when NYG started entering into the conversation.  It probably increased the price and the Colts were on the wrong end of a bidding war.  So I disagree with you that the colts would not trade for Payton.  I do agree with you that the price ultimately was higher than the Colts were willing to pay given Pagano and Grigson, despite their faults, at least a decent option.

3 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I guarantee you he would have traded for Payton.  The Saints requests for a 2nd had been out all day long and Irsay was reportedly talking ot them through the afternoon.  A 2nd isn't that high a commodity, especially for a proven NFL head coach (t's been stated several times here, but Gruden was sent to TB for two 1st rounders, two 2nd rounders and 8 million when he hadn't even been to a SB yet, and that was back in 2002).  Probably where things started going south is when NYG started entering into the conversation.  It probably increased the price and the Colts were on the wrong end of a bidding war.  So I disagree with you that the colts would not trade for Payton.  I do agree with you that the price ultimately was higher than the Colts were willing to pay given Pagano and Grigson, despite their faults, were not the worst option out there. 

You wouldn't just be spending a 2nd round pick, you are spending a badly needed pick, breaking up the locker room chemistry and alienating our pending FA's to be, and disrupting our continuity, adding a third offense Luck has to learn in 5 years.

Ah Hello false claims people

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Colts did not have conversations with Sean Payton or his agent before re-signing Chuck Pagano.

This refutes a report from The Tribune-Star's Tom James, who said talks between the Colts and Payton broke down before owner Jim Irsay decided to re-sign Pagano. Either way, the Colts have already committed to Pagano for the long term, and Payton likely remains available for the right offer.

1 minute ago, bababooey said:

You wouldn't just be spending a 2nd round pick, you are spending a badly needed pick, breaking up the locker room chemistry and alienating our pending FA's to be, and disrupting our continuity, adding a third offense Luck has to learn in 5 years.

It's a badly needed pick sure.  But if Pagano turns out to not be a good coach even with more control, that pick will ultimately not mean much of anything.