Defining Moment for Jim Irsay - It is time to listen to the fans

BlueShoe

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Owners should very seldom listen to the fans. However, there is that rare moment in history when an owner cannot see what fans do. Sometimes a person is just too close to the situation to fully understand what it looks like from afar.

This is the one time for Jim Irsay to open his sensors and listen to the fans.

The Colts fans consensus is to keep Chuck Pagano and fire Ryan Grigson. And the fans have it right this time. If Chuck is included in the GM vetting process then keeping him will work.

The players are also starting to speak.

Make good choices Mr. Irsay. The Andrew Luck era is at stake with this one decision.

If you choose Grigson and he fails then you deserve all of the hell from fans that will surely come your way. Count me (Mr. Brightside for the past 30 years) as one who will publicly smear your decision to keep the inept Grigson around.

It is ironic that this "listen to the fans" sentiment comes from you.  Frankly, you are one of the posters who provides ample and consistent evidence as to why listening to the fans is an outrageously bad way for a team to run its business.

3 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Owners should very seldom listen to the fans. However, there is that rare moment in history when an owner cannot see what fans do. Sometimes a person is just too close to the situation to fully understand what it looks like from afar.

The Colts fans consensus is to keep Chuck Pagano and fire Ryan Grigson. And the fans have it right this time. If Chuck is included in the GM vetting process then keeping him will work.

Make good choices Mr. Irsay. The Andrew Luck era is at stake with this one decision.

If you choose Grigson and he fails then you deserve all of the hell from fans that will surely come your way. Count me (Mr. Brightside for the past 30 years) as one who will publicly smear your decision to keep the inept Grigson around.

I'm sure he is scared to death of being pubilically smeared by a random fan on a message board.   It keeps him up late at night I'm sure

Edited by jvan1973

53 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

It is ironic that this "listen to the fans" sentiment comes from you.  Frankly, you are one of the posters who provides ample and consistent evidence as to why listening to the fans is an outrageously bad way for a team to run its business.

People are taking this a little too literally.

Fans will ruin a team quick if they have control.

This just happens to be a time that I believe the fans are correct. 

We need to keep Chuck and toss Grigson to the wayside.

7 minutes ago, coltsva said:

In the past 17 years the Colts have had 2 losing seasons and made the playoffs 14 times. I think Irsay's decision making has been fine. 

Well...

We have chosen the perfect times to be the worst team in the league and have the first overall pick.

Little lucky there. 

1 hour ago, jaybird95 said:

That's literally what the title says. Don't say I have a comprehension issue because you don't have anything else to say. YOU have a comprehension issue.

How do you get that?

I believe Irsay should listen to fans on this one decision. ONE DECISION!

How is that me speaking for everyone?

Are you drunk? :pokerface:

Sometimes I feel like the only one on this forum that doesn't want Chuck back. I don't know why people can't accept that he's a mediocre, at best, coach. There's a reason why the colts have been blown out more than any other team since Chucks first year. Its coaching. And for anyone saying I must like Grigson you're wrong, I want him and Chuck gone. Its time for a change.

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

I'm sure he is scared to death of being pubilically smeared by a random fan on a message board.   It keeps him up late at night I'm sure

He better be. 

The wrath is coming. 

Giddy up. 

gtho. :pokerface:

11 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

How do you get that?

Uh,  you saying your opinion speaks for the entire fan base.      It doesn't

6 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I never said I did speak for everyone.

Let me clear up everyone's contention with your post and why you are just missing the point, despite your saying everyone else is missing the boat.

From your original post - who are "The Colts fans" and what do you think "consensus" means?

The Colts fans consensus is to keep Chuck Pagano and fire Ryan Grigson

49 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Sometimes I feel like the only one on this forum that doesn't want Chuck back. I don't know why people can't accept that he's a mediocre, at best, coach. There's a reason why the colts have been blown out more than any other team since Chucks first year. Its coaching. And for anyone saying I must like Grigson you're wrong, I want him and Chuck gone. Its time for a change.

I'm with you on this

5 hours ago, chad72 said:

Pagano should be given a chance to abandon his DC and OL coaches and stick around and make it work with Grigson, IMO. Knee jerk reactions do not translate to success all the time.

Chud should be given an entire offseason to implement his whole playbook with Luck, IMO, as well. Grigson, I feel is turning the corner, and with having to pay Luck, will have to take chances on the draft more than free agency and it may not be a bad thing.

I completely agree with you. I think we should see how it looks if Pagano can actually have control of his team.  I would say I think Grigson needs to back off or be replaced.  His record is spotty at best.  And he is a lame duck this year.

10 minutes ago, bozo said:

I'm with you on this

I just think there is more to consider.  For example, Green Bays offense has been very inconsistent and down this year.  They can't score against Minnesota.  So is that on McCarthy?  Should he be fired?  Does Nelson being hurt affect it?  And if Tom Clements was calling the plays, is that McCarthys problem?

The Colts don't have that much talent on defense and Manusky is not very good. He is like the Pep Hamilton of defense.  Replace him and see how it goes for a year.  If it doesn't work, maybe Harbaugh will leave Michigan next year.  I see no coaches available that I think are any better this year.

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

How do you get that?

Which ONE DECISION?

To fire/keep Pagano???

or

To fire/keep Grigson???

or

Is that two decisions???

1 hour ago, RockThatBlue said:

I'm ambivalent about Pagano.  I'd like to see what he could do with a different GM, myself.  Because I'm not as sure as you are that all of our losses in the past couple years can be chalked up to coaching.

Most of them seemed like we were inviting opposing defenses for cocktails in our backfield on just about every snap.  That's a personnel thing more than a coaching thing.  Missing a 1st round draft pick for a bust RB is a personnel thing, not a coaching thing.  Using the following 1st round draft pick for a position we didn't need is a personnel thing, not a coaching thing.

This isn't a defense of Pagano so much as it is a condemnation of Grigson.  He's had several successes, too (like Vontae Davis).  But, mostly, he's just made a mess.  And you can't blame a coach for a GM's failures.

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

Well...

We have chosen the perfect times to be the worst team in the league and have the first overall pick.

Little lucky there. 

We just won 8 games with our stud young QB out for 9 games.  

I think this team is really close.  

We HAVE to learn to run the football to control the game.  

We HAVE to find another corner that can actually hold his own.  

We HAVE to upgrade our line to where we are actually able to make running holes.

51 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

I just think there is more to consider.  For example, Green Bays offense has been very inconsistent and down this year.  They can't score against Minnesota.  So is that on McCarthy?  Should he be fired?  Does Nelson being hurt affect it?  And if Tom Clements was calling the plays, is that McCarthys problem?

The Colts don't have that much talent on defense and Manusky is not very good. He is like the Pep Hamilton of defense.  Replace him and see how it goes for a year.  If it doesn't work, maybe Harbaugh will leave Michigan next year.  I see no coaches available that I think are any better this year.

McCarthy has a track record of being one of the best offensive coaches in the league.  Chuck's problems don't boil down to just this year.

40 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

Which ONE DECISION?

To fire/keep Pagano???

or

To fire/keep Grigson???

or

Is that two decisions???

Keeping Pagano.

It is likely that Irsay is trying to keep them both. Keeping them both means that Grigson has to stop meddling with coaching decisions. 

37 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

We just won 8 games with our stud young QB out for 9 games.  

I think this team is really close.  

We HAVE to learn to run the football to control the game.  

We HAVE to find another corner that can actually hold his own.  

We HAVE to upgrade our line to where we are actually able to make running holes.

And that proves just how good of a job that Pagano is doing. 

2 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

He's a nice guy who had cancer and gives heartwarming post game speeches.

I say fire both or keep Pagano on a 1 year contract, can Grigson, and have an overhaul of assistants to Pagano.

GM-TBD

HC-Pagano

OC-Keep Chud

DC-Fire Manusky

OL-Fire Glibert

ST-Fire McMahon*

Dont know the rest, but for positions that are underperforming, just can the position coaches and hire better ones. Either option would equally satisfy me.

Chud seems to get a pass from a lot of people, but does it bother anyone that in the 2nd half of the last 5 games of the season, when we were battling for our playoff lives, our offense scored 0-3-0-3-3 points. Our only 2nd half touchdown in 5 straight games was by the defense with the pick 6 vs Tennessee. Ouch!

I realize Chud was with dealing quarterbacks not named Luck, but c'mon man. 

1 hour ago, lennymoore24 said:

Replace Manusky with say Ray Horton?

19 minutes ago, coltsva said:

Chud seems to get a pass from a lot of people, but does it bother anyone that in the 2nd half of the last 5 games of the season, when we were battling for our playoff lives, our offense scored 0-3-0-3-3 points. Our only 2nd half touchdown in 5 straight games was by the defense with the pick 6 vs Tennessee. Ouch!

I realize Chud was with dealing quarterbacks not named Luck, but c'mon man. 

I chaulk it up to Hasselbeck having enough to get through one half but expiring by the second 

6 hours ago, amfootball said:

Bill Parcells one said, "If you start listening to the fans soon you will be sitting with them."

As did Bill Polian and others.  It's an old saying that is attributed to the Philadelphia Eagles Head Coach in 1967, Joe Kuharich.

Kuharich could rival Yogi Berra in funny mixed metaphors too, IE:

"It's is easy as falling off a piece of cake."

2 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Let me clear up everyone's contention with your post and why you are just missing the point, despite your saying everyone else is missing the boat.

From your original post - who are "The Colts fans" and what do you think "consensus" means?

Everyone does not agree with you. Nice try. But you and a few others does not constitute as everyone. Hell it doesn't even come close to a consensus.

So what do you not understand?

30 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Everyone does not agree with you. Nice try. But you and a few others does not constitute as everyone. Hell it doesn't even come close to a consensus.

So what do you not understand?

dear god that's the most hypocritical thing I've ever read. You realize I was quoting you right?  And now you have the audacity to say not everyone agrees with you, after you literally gave your opinion and then called it the general consensus, when it isnt? It's clear reading comprehension is not your strong suit. 

8 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

6 hours ago, jaybird95 said:

You don't speak for everyone.

5 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

When or where did I ever elude to speaking for everyone?

You spoke for everyone when you typed the bolded. Because the words you typed, the order you typed them in, and the typical definitions associated with the words you typed are not how the fans feel, which is what people have been trying to tell you.

RIF_Primary_Horizontal.png