Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How important is a RB this upcoming draft?

We can't seem to find a solution, especially at backup. Not that i am prioritizing it over oline. But Gore is getting old, he will be more of a #2 RB next season if he stays. The next drafted RB will most likely start. Hec, i dont even know the situation at RB. 2 were released already.

1 hour ago, bap1331 said:

We can't seem to find a solution, especially at backup. Not that i am prioritizing it over oline. But Gore is getting old, he will be more of a #2 RB next season if he stays. The next drafted RB will most likely start. Hec, i dont even know the situation at RB. 2 were released already.

Gore is going to approach 1,000 yards this year which is exactly what we hoped we'd get from him when we signed him.

I think Gore starts next year with Boom and Josh Robinson for depth.     I wouldn't be surprised if we signed another rotation running back in March.

As for drafting one,   I personally wouldn't spend more than a 7 on one this year.    But that's only because I want to use all the rest of the picks (except one) on defense.     The one can go for a highly regarded o-lineman.

But we need to make a commitment to defense.    OLB/Pass Rush is priority,  Corner is priority,  depth on the DL is priority,   another safety to groom is priority.     Another RB would be nice,  but I'm ready to build a defense once and for all.

1 hour ago, colts8718 said:

Cardinals drafted Johnson in 3rd round just hope Grigson is not making the pick :thmup:

Actually, you would probably want Grigson drafting in the 3rd. Thats been his wheelhouse (and i bet you couldnt find a GM who's been better than he has in the 3Rd since 2012).  Dwayne, TY, Thornton, Moncrief, Smith and Anderson. Other than Smith, who was out due to injury, all have been solid contributors while TY and Anderson have played at a top tier level. It's the 1st where Grigson has stuggled.

Not that important. I know the success of Gurley has people thinking RB is a valued position, but it still isn't IMO. 

I wouldnt look at a RB until round 7. I like Keith Marshall out of Georgia. He's listed at 5'11 and played in the same system as Gurley and Chubb, so he's probably a similar back, much like the carbon copy Alabama RBs. I don't think he's anywhere near as good as Gurley but I like his running style.

Gore is the best RB the Colts have had since a pre-injured Edgerrin James, IMO.  Maybe that's not saying a whole lot, but yeah, finding a good young RB is a priority.

If its a late rounder, that's fine...just as long as he is better than most that have churned through the roster the past decade.

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

If Grigson is still the GM the 3rd round wouldn't be a bad area to select a RB since he's been good about skill positions in round 3. 

Yes your right about the 3rd round picks we just have to keep him away from the 1st round:thmup:

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Gore is going to approach 1,000 yards this year which is exactly what we hoped we'd get from him when we signed him.

I think Gore starts next year with Boom and Josh Robinson for depth.     I wouldn't be surprised if we signed another rotation running back in March.

As for drafting one,   I personally wouldn't spend more than a 7 on one this year.    But that's only because I want to use all the rest of the picks (except one) on defense.     The one can go for a highly regarded o-lineman.

But we need to make a commitment to defense.    OLB/Pass Rush is priority,  Corner is priority,  depth on the DL is priority,   another safety to groom is priority.     Another RB would be nice,  but I'm ready to build a defense once and for all.

Regardless of current YPC, I don't see how anyone could watch Gore run this year and not think he is still worthy of carrying the load with a healthy Luck and upgrades to scheme/O-line next year.  Gore was just fine until we couldn't keep defenses honest anymore.

I'd still be fine drafting a RB anytime in RD 3 or later - we need a good young one on a rookie contract.

RB should be addressed in FA's or an UDFA. Gore has another year in him. There isn't a Gurley in this draft. Elliott is another Big 10 back that won't be all that In the NFL The only 2 that have panned out are George and Bell the busts are a mile long. Don't take a Big 10 back the first 2 days. 

We rarely pick in the top half of the draft we need a playmakers on D and OL help. 

1 hour ago, akcolt said:

RB should be addressed in FA's or an UDFA. Gore has another year in him. There isn't a Gurley in this draft. Elliott is another Big 10 back that won't be all that In the NFL The only 2 that have panned out are George and Bell the busts are a mile long. Don't take a Big 10 back the first 2 days. 

We rarely pick in the top half of the draft we need a playmakers on D and OL help. 

Thank goodness that real decision-makers can see positional talent beyond the college conference that they play in and individualize player projections beyond historical generalizations.  

There is a very good 2nd tier at RB this year. With Booker, the kid from UCLA, Paul Something I think, and Prosise out of ND declaring earlier. I'm sure we'll find one around the 4th, give or take a round. 

Also an excellent class next year. *cough cough* Christian McCaffrey *cough cough*

There is no need for a RB to be drafted this year. Elliot and Henry aren't in the same league as a Gurley, but next year there could be at least 3 first round graded RBs coming out in McCaffery, Chubb, and Fournette. Focus on the OLine and defense this year, and if we feel so inclined next year, then we can swing for the fences on a running back.

Okay, I agree with everyone here, it makes no sense to take a RB at 1.  There are plenty available later.  It's an undervalued position.  They get hurt too often.  Blah, blah, blah.

...but what if we draft Zeke Elliott?  Besides being a great RB, he has great hands, and more importantly, he's an excellent blocker.

It would be awesome to have our Edge to play with Luck for the next 6-8 years.  

If they were both there I'd draft 2. Booker in the 3rd and Perkins in the 4th. Then we could have the classic Thunder and Lightning for the next several years. I think Perkins is going to be really, really good. He's a playmaker. He just needs a bigger back to be paired with........Booker.

I may very well be wrong here. I was wrong when I said I thought Kelvin Benjamin would be a bust. But IMO. Derrick Henry is going to be a bust. I just don't see it translating to the NFL. If he's a 2nd round pick I'll be amazed. I see him as a 4th rounder personally.

On Saturday, January 02, 2016 at 3:48 PM, akcolt said:

That's like saying we shouldn't have drafted Luck because the Pac-12 has put out garbage QB's the last 30 years. Elway and Rodgers are about it when it comes to that conference.