Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Offseason priorities

DalTXColtsFan

I don't think the Colts are as far away from competing for a 2016 Super Bowl as most.  I really think that if they can just upgrade 2 of the positions on the OL and add 2 pass rushers they'll be able to beat any other team in the league on a given day.  I don't know contract situations so I don't know who we're at the risk of losing.

Obviously we're set at QB.  EDITED to say that having said this I agree 100% that Luck has to be taught to stop playing QB like he's a LB.  That's MOSTLY on the coaches but also on the OL - upgrading the OL will make the RBs, TEs and WRs better which takes away the pressure on Luck to make every play by himself.

Obviously we're set at WR, especially if Dorsett plays up to his #1 draft pick status.

At RB, I believe Gore has one more good year in him.  Upgrading the OL and less injuries at the #2 spot will help the running game in general.

At TE, I don't know how long Fleener, Allen and Doyle will all be around but they're perfectly capable blockers and pass catchers.  Upgrading the OL and running game will allow the coaches to use Fleener and Allen in the passing game more than in 2015.

If Langford, Anderson and Parry can produce and stay healthy the run defense is perfectly adequate.  I don't know what Jones's contract situation is but getting him back healthy will only help.  Winn, McGill and Kerr provided adequate breathers for the starters.

At LB, Freeman, Jackson and Walden are not superstars but I don't think they need to be.  They're adequate.  You don't need 22 all-pros to win a SuperBowl.  Just upgrade Mathis, Cole and Newsome to OLBs who can rush the passer in a 3-4.

Again, in the secondary Davis is the only star but Adams, Lowery, Toler and Butler are adequate players, and any weaknesses back there would be somewhat covered up by a boost to the pass rush.

We're 4 players away from being right back at contending for #1.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally think that if the pass rush and OL could be improved, that Davis, Toler, Butler, Brown and Smith is plenty of talent at the CB position.  Improving the OL will help us get leads.  Improving the pass rush makes the CBs' jobs easier.  Upgrading the #2 CB spot if for no other reason than to provide quality depth if Davis goes down would certainly be a good thing but for me it's below the addition of 2 pass rushers and 2 OLs.

1- o-line upgrades if possible, mewhort too slow for guard could be moved or upgraded, center needs upgraded, right guard needs upgraded, right tackle needs upgraded, 2. outside lbs needs upgraded need two pass rushers.3. toler could be upgraded, 3. o-line coach needs upgraded. we should be good to go with the same coaches elsewhere. gm? grigs may have learned from his mistakes and now knows we need to protect our qb first , then build the team around this, imo give him and most coaches another shot. injuries hurt us this year.

First of all Toler isn't adequate. He sucks. Second. Here's our priorities.

Elite Pass Rusher

Offensive Line (G & C)

Corner

ILB

I agree we need to add 2 pass rushers. But Mathis needs to stay. Cole, Newsome, and Werner need to go. I think we need to upgrade at ILB too, but Freeman has played really good this year. Still I want an all around ILB who can cover.

1 hour ago, DalTXColtsFan said:

I don't think the Colts are as far away from competing for a 2016 Super Bowl as most. 

We're not.     We're really not just 4 players away from being in the Super Bowl.

I only wish we were.

1 hour ago, DalTXColtsFan said:

I don't think the Colts are as far away from competing for a 2016 Super Bowl as most.  I really think that if they can just upgrade 2 of the positions on the OL and add 2 pass rushers they'll be able to beat any other team in the league on a given day.  I don't know contract situations so I don't know who we're at the risk of losing.

Obviously we're set at QB.  EDITED to say that having said this I agree 100% that Luck has to be taught to stop playing QB like he's a LB.  That's MOSTLY on the coaches but also on the OL - upgrading the OL will make the RBs, TEs and WRs better which takes away the pressure on Luck to make every play by himself.

Obviously we're set at WR, especially if Dorsett plays up to his #1 draft pick status.

At RB, I believe Gore has one more good year in him.  Upgrading the OL and less injuries at the #2 spot will help the running game in general.

At TE, I don't know how long Fleener, Allen and Doyle will all be around but they're perfectly capable blockers and pass catchers.  Upgrading the OL and running game will allow the coaches to use Fleener and Allen in the passing game more than in 2015.

If Langford, Anderson and Parry can produce and stay healthy the run defense is perfectly adequate.  I don't know what Jones's contract situation is but getting him back healthy will only help.  Winn, McGill and Kerr provided adequate breathers for the starters.

At LB, Freeman, Jackson and Walden are not superstars but I don't think they need to be.  They're adequate.  You don't need 22 all-pros to win a SuperBowl.  Just upgrade Mathis, Cole and Newsome to OLBs who can rush the passer in a 3-4.

Again, in the secondary Davis is the only star but Adams, Lowery, Toler and Butler are adequate players, and any weaknesses back there would be somewhat covered up by a boost to the pass rush.

The first off season priority is settling the coaching/GM situation.  I love Chuck and I think the players love him.  That doesn't make him a great coach, but it helps in the motivation department.

I'm 100% AGAINST us trading a first round pick (or any picks) to get Payton.  

You have a lot of good points.  Until we find out which way Irsay is going, we won't have a clue how this team is going to change.  New coaches/GMs like to bring in 'their' guys.  It could be a sweep.  I hope not.  I think we're close now.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

We're not.     We're really not just 4 players away from being in the Super Bowl.

I only wish we were.

If you get the right four players, the rest of the holes can be addressed.

Assume all our guys are healthy, and we get a few replacement level players or better between the draft and free agency. Give me Bruce Irvin (Edge), Malik Jackson (DT), Joe Barksdale (RT) and Stefan Wisniewski (C). Four difference makers at critical positions changes this team drastically.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Assume all our guys are healthy, and we get a few replacement level players or better between the draft and free agency. Give me Bruce Irvin (Edge), Malik Jackson (DT), Joe Barksdale (RT) and Stefan Wisniewski (C). Four difference makers at critical positions changes this team drastically.

Everyone talks so highly of Wisniewski, all I saw was a guy that snapped it to the moon - on more than one occasion.

Just now, OffensivelyPC said:

Everyone talks so highly of Wisniewski, all I saw was a guy the snapped it to the moon - on more than one occasion.

He's not my favorite, but he's good. I think he'll be affordable, while big money would have to go to Jackson and Irvin. Was just trying to acknowledge the cap situation.

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

He's not my favorite, but he's good. I think he'll be affordable, while big money would have to go to Jackson and Irvin. Was just trying to acknowledge the cap situation.

I haven't watched his blocking in great detail, but the bad snaps are obviously not something you wanna be remembered for.

What do you think Irvin would cost?

I agree with DalTX.  This team is still just a small step away from being SB contenders next season.  This was just a weird season all around.  It happens.  Colts fell of the cliff that one year with Peyton and came right back the next year.  I think the same thing happens here.

Think of picking up Andrew as a FA QB and this team is right there again.

28 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I haven't watched his blocking in great detail, but the bad snaps are obviously not something you wanna be remembered for.

What do you think Irvin would cost?

I think his snaps have been clean this year, no? Weren't the bad snaps from 2014? But yeah, not something you want attached to your name.

Irvin is probably going to be in the $10-12m/year range. Edit: That's probably waaay too high.

First priority is the pass rush IMO. I think we should target Leonard Floyd or Shalique Calhoun in 1st round of the draft. An old pass rusher is out of the question because we need youth.

Just as big a priority is the OL, which starts with Center. Holmes can be a backup but Harrison needs to be cut. Bring in a veteran center and draft a young one. We should also look at a future RT.

ILB is a biggie also. Our LBs are slow and can't cover. We need young guys with versatility. Sio Moore is fine but maybe look towards the draft.

14 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think his snaps have been clean this year, no? Weren't the bad snaps from 2014? But yeah, not something you want attached to your name.

Irvin is probably going to be in the $10-12m/year range. 

It happened in our last meeting with them. And then the week or two before that I happened to see it on red zone. When it happened in our game, I'm fairly positive the announcers mentioned that it happened 4 times in the last 5 weeks. I can't remember the stat exactly, but I found it surprisingly high. If you have the game recorded, you could watch it and hear it (I would, but don't have it recorded).

On Irvin, that isn't horrible, but I wouldn't feel particularly strong about it. Physically gifted, but his production has been somewhat up and down.

6 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

It happened in our last meeting with them. And then the week or two before that I happened to see it on red zone. When it happened in our game, I'm fairly positive the announcers mentioned that it happened 4 times in the last 5 weeks. I can't remember the stat exactly, but I found it surprisingly high. If you have the game recorded, you could watch it and hear it (I would, but don't have it recorded).

I must have missed that.

If we could just attack the offensive line and pass rush, I would instantly feel better about this team's chances. If we were to get one or two real "Playmakers" (impact players that is) they improve the quality of play around them. They get other guys amped. They improve the energy level all around and the competition.

Meh its pretty simple to figure out what our needs are, They wont all be addressed though unless talent meets the need in the draft...Otherwise FA it should be

-I think we have to get Wisniewski

- I'd also consider Morris Claiborne to see if a change of scenery and coaches can kick start his career back in the right direction. Toler has to go...Ill just be nice and say that.

-We need another pass rusher in the draft and hopefully if this one does not come and play like an all pro from day 1 they wont bench him to.....Since we don't like to develop the ones we already drafted the last couple years.

-Need a Guard to challenge Thornton...Has an all pro skill set at Right Guard but I think he needs pushed harder

More D Line depth

-ILB or 2 that can cover and will also hit with bad intentions

26 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Meh its pretty simple to figure out what our needs are, They wont all be addressed though unless talent meets the need in the draft...Otherwise FA it should be

-I think we have to get Wisniewski

- I'd also consider Morris Claiborne to see if a change of scenery and coaches can kick start his career back in the right direction. Toler has to go...Ill just be nice and say that.

-We need another pass rusher in the draft and hopefully if this one does not come and play like an all pro from day 1 they wont bench him to.....Since we don't like to develop the ones we already drafted the last couple years.

-Need a Guard to challenge Thornton...Has an all pro skill set at Right Guard but I think he needs pushed harder

More D Line depth

-ILB or 2 that can cover and will also hit with bad intentions

I honestly don't know Thorton will ever be able to stay healthy. There's always an injury with him. I think we just oughta replace him.

6 minutes ago, weslo1812 said:

I honestly don't know Thorton will ever be able to stay healthy. There's always an injury with him. I think we just oughta replace him.

Easier said then done unfortunately. I would NOT bring in some FA Guard who we hope can play good while previously being a backup or playing awful at a previous team. I'd rather draft a Guard to push him(Thornton). I also think a new O Line coach might help

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

First priority is the pass rush IMO. I think we should target Leonard Floyd or Shalique Calhoun in 1st round of the draft. An old pass rusher is out of the question because we need youth.

Just as big a priority is the OL, which starts with Center. Holmes can be a backup but Harrison needs to be cut. Bring in a veteran center and draft a young one. We should also look at a future RT.

ILB is a biggie also. Our LBs are slow and can't cover. We need young guys with versatility. Sio Moore is fine but maybe look towards the draft.

I would think you'd wanna protect the face of your franchise first and formost. And your success all starts up front. Plus We need to run the ball better, which starts up front. We can get a decent pass rusher in the 2nd 3rd round probably. 

Our top priorities in order should be...

C

RG
RB - Gore isn't an every down back. Need someone who can take over after Gore's contract is up.

CB

DE

The O-line is our most urgent need or we're going to be back in the same place we were this year with hurt QBs.

41 minutes ago, weslo1812 said:

I would think you'd wanna protect the face of your franchise first and formost. And your success all starts up front. Plus We need to run the ball better, which starts up front. We can get a decent pass rusher in the 2nd 3rd round probably. 

The biggest weakness on the line is the Center position. It's not like in years past where all the positions were terrible. We are good at LT and LG. RG is okay and Reitz can hang at RT. So it's not as big a priority for me.

You could certainly get a pass rusher later but the best ones will be in round one. 

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I only wish we were.

Not even if those 4 players were Von Miller, Sean Smith, Keleche Osemele, and Jaylon Smith? Then of course we'd need a Center too. But I honestly don't think we could get those 3 in FA. Maybe 2 of them, but I was just saying...I do think with the right moves this offseason we can be one of the best 5 teams in the league though. You have to assume Luck will come back and be elite.

5 hours ago, get an 0-line said:

1- o-line upgrades if possible, mewhort too slow for guard could be moved or upgraded, center needs upgraded, right guard needs upgraded, right tackle needs upgraded, 2. outside lbs needs upgraded need two pass rushers.3. toler could be upgraded, 3. o-line coach needs upgraded. we should be good to go with the same coaches elsewhere. gm? grigs may have learned from his mistakes and now knows we need to protect our qb first , then build the team around this, imo give him and most coaches another shot. injuries hurt us this year.

Mewhort is one of our few good offensive lineman. He's fine. What we need is another Guard to pair with him and a Center. I think Reitz would be ok. Especially if we bring a good Guard and a good Center.

1 hour ago, Gavin said:

Easier said then done unfortunately. I would NOT bring in some FA Guard who we hope can play good while previously being a backup or playing awful at a previous team. I'd rather draft a Guard to push him(Thornton). I also think a new O Line coach might help

Screw bringing in free agents on the OL. Why the hell were they let go in the first place? If they were expendable there, they are expendable here. And coaching has GOT to be taken into consideration here. Thornton, Holmes and Mewhort were solid picks. Herremans was very successful in Philadelphia. Cherilus was solid in Detroit. These guys all come here and struggle mightily...I bet a few of these guys could be thrown right into the mix in some place like NE we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

45 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

The biggest weakness on the line is the Center position. It's not like in years past where all the positions were terrible. We are good at LT and LG. RG is okay and Reitz can hang at RT. So it's not as big a priority for me.

You could certainly get a pass rusher later but the best ones will be in round one. 

We could really use an upgrade at center. Right tackle is okay, we could consider upgrading there but at the very least we need a capable swing tackle for depth. The guards are ok enough, Thornton could be upgraded but it's not as urgent as fixing our center/tackle situation.

12 minutes ago, ThaCaliColt said:

Screw bringing in free agents on the OL. Why the hell were they let go in the first place? If they were expendable there, they are expendable here. And coaching has GOT to be taken into consideration here. Thornton, Holmes and Mewhort were solid picks. Herremans was very successful in Philadelphia. Cherilus was solid in Detroit. These guys all come here and struggle mightily...I bet a few of these guys could be thrown right into the mix in some place like NE we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

I liked this just so I could unlike it.

27 minutes ago, Track Guy said:

We could really use an upgrade at center. Right tackle is okay, we could consider upgrading there but at the very least we need a capable swing tackle for depth. The guards are ok enough, Thornton could be upgraded but it's not as urgent as fixing our center/tackle situation.

Center has to be upgraded no matter what. That's really where the OL problems start. Every other position is solid.

Thorton is close to reaching that next level if he can just stay healthy. Reitz is good for another 2 seasons until he'll need to be replaced by a younger guy.

The OL wasn't as terrible as it seems. It's a combination of terrible center play and injuries that have derailed their play. IMO, fixing the center position would do a lot.

4 hours ago, Superman said:

That's a lot of "ifs"....

If we get this guy and IF we get that guy, and the other guy and another guy....

And all the other spots,  if we get the right players to fill holes....   etc.

I don't see a lot of play makers and difference makers on defense.

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

Not even if those 4 players were Von Miller, Sean Smith, Keleche Osemele, and Jaylon Smith? Then of course we'd need a Center too. But I honestly don't think we could get those 3 in FA. Maybe 2 of them, but I was just saying...I do think with the right moves this offseason we can be one of the best 5 teams in the league though. You have to assume Luck will come back and be elite.

Well....   if we got those 4, I'd say it's possible.....

But I think Denver keeps Miller,  and I don't see us spending huge $$ on Osemele and I think Smith will be LONG GONE before we get to our first pick.

But if the stars align and the some magic dust is sprinkled over Indianapolis then perhaps we'd have the chance to be special.

I want Bruce Irvin and Trumaine Johnson in free agency.

Then Jack Conklin, Yannick Ngakoue and Dan Voltz in the draft 1-2-3.

And yes, I agree with the original post. This team is probably gonna be 8-8. Just a healthy Andrew Luck takes us to 10 wins. We arent that far off at all, some fans are just overly dramatic. We need to shore up the line and bolster the pass rush, those are two areas that can raise the level of play with the rest of their respective units. Everything else is more than adequate. We are never gonna be perfect across the board.