Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Most realistic backup QB options for 2016

bababooey

Most realistic backup QB options for 2016  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the most realistic backup QB next year?

• Geno Smith
    • Michael Vick
    • Colin Kaepernick
    • Robert Griffin III
    • Tim Tebow
    • Charlie Whitehurst
    • Matt Hasselbeck
    • Peyton Manning
    • Other

I'd love to have RG III as the backup, but there are too many QB needy teams, he will find a job with competition for the #1 spot.

I'd love to have a guy like Hoyer, or Fitzpatrick as the backup, but they will probably still be starting next season.

If I can't have a proven backup, I want someone who can add the QB run as a huge weapon, if Luck goes down.

33 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Matt Schaub or Ryan Fitzpatrick or even Matt Moore in that order

Why would you want Schaub over either of those two is beyond me.

I'd take Matt Moore.  Fitzpatrick will be starting someplace else or at the very least will sign on with a team with QB troubles and become the starter eventually.  If he accepted a backup job I'd take him but he won't, he has no reason to.  

2 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Why would you want Schaub over either of those two is beyond me.

I'd take Matt Moore.  Fitzpatrick will be starting someplace else or at the very least will sign on with a team with QB troubles and become the starter eventually.  If he accepted a backup job I'd take him but he won't, he has no reason to.  

Because Schaub at one point was a solid yet not great QB

35 minutes ago, SilentHill said:

I'd love to have RG III as the backup, but there are too many QB needy teams, he will find a job with competition for the #1 spot.

I'd love to have a guy like Hoyer, or Fitzpatrick as the backup, but they will probably still be starting next season.

If I can't have a proven backup, I want someone who can add the QB run as a huge weapon, if Luck goes down.

Not sure if that going for a running QB is a good idea.  You'd have to change the entire offense.  

Another idea is Kirk Cousins if he hits the market.  Of course him hitting the market is questionable by itself.  

3 minutes ago, bababooey said:

I think Fitzmagic stays in NY. First time in franchise history two WR's each have 9 TDs

I like Fitz, he isn't Very Good or Great as far as rankings but he is GOOD. He never really hasn't had much to work with playing in Buffalo, Houston, and NY. Marshall is Great so he finally has something to work with. He had a 6 game streak in Buffalo one time that was outstanding.

20 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Not sure if that going for a running QB is a good idea.  You'd have to change the entire offense.  

Another idea is Kirk Cousins if he hits the market.  Of course him hitting the market is questionable by itself.  

Kirk Cousins is proving he's a starter.  Even if he gets away from the Redskins he's going to have a chance to go to a team where he can start and unlike Hasselbeck he's at a stage in his career where that is probably what he wants.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Kirk Cousins is proving he's a starter.  Even if he gets away from the Redskins he's going to have a chance to go to a team where he can start and unlike Hasselbeck he's at a stage in his career where that is probably what he wants.

I don't see the Skins letting him go. I think it's his team now.

I'm still ok with Colt McCoy....but I wouldn't be opposed using a late 5th or 6th rd pick if the right qb was available. Now if someone like Josh McCown was released etc I could go for that too. The big names on the board above I think want to go to a place where they can compete for a starting job and the others are probably past their expiration date.

38 minutes ago, 18Manning said:

I think Peyton would retire before becoming a back-up QB.

I wouldn't even take him as a backup QB right now anyways.  Most career backups have better TD-INT ratios then he does this year and he's not likely to improve on that.

47 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah I agree, that's why I said him hitting the market is questionable.  

But I think even if he does he may sort of slide into a role as a journeyman similar to Fitzpatrick or Hoyer.  I don't know that I see him as a franchise QB, at least not yet, but he's probably at least a journeyman.

1 minute ago, Valpo2004 said:

I wouldn't even take him as a backup QB right now anyways.  Most career backups have better TD-INT ratios then he does this year and he's not likely to improve on that.

As a completely healthy (considering the elements that can't get better, i.e. feeling in finger tips) Peyton Manning, I don't think his numbers would be so bad, of course my opinion. Either way, there's no way Peyton would be a back-up QB

6 minutes ago, 18Manning said:

As a completely healthy (considering the elements that can't get better, i.e. feeling in finger tips) Peyton Manning, I don't think his numbers would be so bad, of course my opinion. Either way, there's no way Peyton would be a back-up QB

He's technically going to be Luck's backup eventually....for at least one day...

To be honest, I'd do two things:

a) Get Colt McCoy to back up Luck as a short term move

b) Also draft a QB like Cody Kessler from USC who like Matt Barkley will fall, and in Cody's case to rounds 6 or 7, IMO. He plays in a Pro style offense and throws outside the pocket with a whole plethora of roll outs and bootlegs

That way, if Luck stays healthy, you can groom a backup as well, IMO.

8 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I bet the Jets hold on to Fitz and he goes into the season as their starter next year.  

Hes not going to give that up to come back up Andrew.

He should retire a jet. Best QB they've had since prime Pennington. The best backup QB option might be permanently off the market.

I think Christian Ponder or EJ Manuel would be good, young backup QBs.

10 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I doubt this would ever happen, but Ryan Nassib from the NY Giants would be an adequate backup to me. 

I like that kid!  

I remember a couple of years ago when the Giants (my second favorite team) were in town for the preseason game.  Colts were up and Nassib was coming in....or had been in...anyway, when he got behind center, I told my then 9 year old son, "He's going to drive them down the field and win the game."   He did.

Manning at the right price and if he's willing would be so perfect. He could really help the development of Luck tremendously. And if he had to play a game or 2 he could win IMO. He just cant play every week anymore. I think in one game he could be similar to what he was 2 years ago. But the whole coming home thing would just be amazing. I've actually been thinking about this lately. Its just so perfect in so many ways. Hell he'd help the entire offense. He's one of the most genius men in football. Including coaches, owners, etc. It would be like having another OC on the sidelines. And again the influence he'd have on Luck.

9 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

I think Peyton would possibly consider coming back home to backup Luck. I mean no team's gonna sign him to start IMO so that's out. And you know he would love to actually retire as a Colt. I think its perfect.

It isn't impossible Peyton is back in Denver next year. Brock is not signed for 2016.

Would Mr. Irsay sign Peyton. Unlikely. Would Peyton be a backup. Less likely.

1 hour ago, GwinnettColt said:

I like that kid!  

I remember a couple of years ago when the Giants (my second favorite team) were in town for the preseason game.  Colts were up and Nassib was coming in....or had been in...anyway, when he got behind center, I told my then 9 year old son, "He's going to drive them down the field and win the game."   He did.

Cool story there GC! People will say my Big Blue bias is showing again & I will probably be the one saying that. 

I just like this kid's arm, football IQ, & mobility on the field. He won't embarrass you with his play & even if he throws a pick, he has selective amnesia & can still move the ball down the field. Turnovers don't cripple him mentally. 

I watch all Big Blue's preseason games every year & Ryan Nassib is decent with room to grow.