Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should Gonzo Be Resigned Next Year?

The Peytonator

Also consider that he if he were to shake the injury bug, he has had less wear and tear. Logically, his salary will be compared against available FA's and if a healthy player can be had for less, then it could be good to move on from him. But don't forget his value in knowing our system. To a team in flux, that is extremely valuable.

Now I know some people are going to come in here and post a big 'NO!!!' without reading this but for the rest of you please just hear me out.

People like to talk about how he's always hurt. That was true for '09 and '10, but this year I'm pretty sure he was healthy for most of the year. Some might say, well, if he was healthy why didn't he have the production of his first two years? To that I'd say nobody had the kind of production we're accustomed to in Indy. Plus he was behind Wayne, Garcon, and Collie. Justifiably so. But for next year, we don't know about Wayne being resigned, because he'd probably want a pretty fat contract, while Gonzo on the other hand, has no bargaining chip in his corner due to his lack of production for three years. He could probably be resigned for vet minimum, and it's not like any other team would pay more than that for him.

I don't think the dude has regressed in ability. He's still young, can run routes, and as far as I know can still catch. If Wayne can't be resigned, I see no reason not to resign Gonzo to a vet minimum contract. Next year line up Garcon out to the right, Collie to the left, and Gonzo in the slot. Hey if Peyton can make Blair White work, he can turn Gonzo back into starter material.

Absolutely not.

I'll bet dollars to doughnuts he's not a Colt next season.

I'm assuming we're bringing in a new GM from outside the organization that has nothing invested in Gonzo. I'm also assuming that new GM gets rid of Jim Caldwell and a significant portion of the rest of the coaching staff. There will be no tie to Gonzo at that point. It would be up to holdovers on the staff and maybe even Peyton Manning to come to Gonzo's defense to make it worth our while to resign him.

However, if we don't keep Wayne and/or Garcon, and Manning stays, and we don't get a really good wide receiver in the draft, I could see him staying for vet minimum. He's a good player, obviously. Just hasn't been able to stay healthy, and that sucks.

The thing is, he has been healthy this year. I know I've seen him suit up on more than one occasion. They wheel him out there for about 2 plays a game, he lines up in the slot, then he goes back to his bench spot. Nobody ever says anything about it, but we know he has ability. He filled in for Marvin 'Freakin' Harrison when we first got him. That's not an easy guy to fill in for. The guy's a first round draft pick and he contributed his first two years. The last two years he was hurt. I'm not even ready to put the 'Bob Sanders Glassman' tag on him yet. He had some unlucky plays where something happened that caused an injury. He's not at Bob's level yet despite what people say.

We aren't really saying Collie is injury prone, yet he had some unlucky plays last year where he took some hits to the head. Stuff happens. It's a part of football. He went his first two years without incident. To me, that shows he has the body to hold up for an NFL season. To sign him for a vet minimum, which is all he's honestly worth at this point, would not be a bad investment. Look at the three contributing, low cost, free agents we signed this year; Anderson, Brayton, and Sims. All three of those guys were first round draft picks. I assume their respective teams didn't give two dueces about their resigning. They were released without a second thought, and they all individually fit in halfway decently with our team. Gonzo would be in the same boat. We release him, and some team signs him to vet minimum, he plays slot for a season, puts up 700 yards, it looks like a solid resigning for that team. Signing someone for vet minimum is the lowest possible risk you could sign someone for. Either you get some sort of production, or you get the same kind of production you'd get out of some other scrub you signed for vet minimum. It's a low risk/high possible reward, type situation.

I'm not saying he will be resigned. I think it'll come down to him. If he wants to continue with the team he's had a subpar career with so far, or if he wants a change in scenery where he might have the opportunity to contribute to. I think he'll go for the latter, but if I'm the Colts, I would at least see if he wants to come back for vet minimum, and prove he can stay healthy and do something for the team.

If Reggie is gone, you HAVE to resign him. He's pretty much been getting healthy for 2years now, you'd think that amount of rest and rehab would allow him to be healthy. He knows the playbook, has good chemistry with Manning and cannot ask for a big contract in his situation. I think the Colts will offer him a contract, but he may also decide to go elsewhere. Something tells me he's looking for a fresh start and most likely felt like he was getting the shaft by not getting much of a chance to show what he could do this past season.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him go to the Browns, you heard it here first.

If Reggie is gone, you HAVE to resign him. He's pretty much been getting healthy for 2years now, you'd think that amount of rest and rehab would allow him to be healthy. He knows the playbook, has good chemistry with Manning and cannot ask for a big contract in his situation. I think the Colts will offer him a contract, but he may also decide to go elsewhere. Something tells me he's looking for a fresh start and most likely felt like he was getting the shaft by not getting much of a chance to show what he could do this past season.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him go to the Browns, you heard it here first.

id agree wtih that...if Wayne is gone and we resign garcon we cannot go next season with just garcon and collie. Manning knows gonzo and we would at least add depth. and he would be cheap.

of course have a plan, cause there is no reasont o believe he will be healthy.